Screen freeze

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Kira

Screen freeze

Post by Kira »

Whenever I use a teleporter/ladder(anything that changes my map location and/or map level) my client will freeze and become (Not Responding), then after waiting about 2-3 minutes it unfreezes. Sometimes this happens without any given cause, as well, but it always happens with the prior mentioned circumstances.
This started happening after I installed the new client, everything worked fine before then. Is any solution to this problem known? Kind of a major inconvenience when moving around.
S'rrt

Re: Screen freeze

Post by S'rrt »

There are some game files you could try to remove (I forget where, someone else will have to fill that part in) or perhaps empty Java cache but those are not guaranteed. Maybe update Java too? Again, just a simple suggestion...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Updating java is something that has no effect. The client has it's own instance of java installed and you shouldn't alter this one.

Does this happens with all your characters?

Would be interesting to know what happens during the time of the freeze. Something is apparently blocking the client from executing properly. Could you check the java.exe in the client and see how much load on the cpu it generates?
Also you could try to remove (or move way) the map files in C:\Users\<YourName>\.illarion\<Character>\map*.dat
It may be that the client has problems loading the files. Among the last updates was a major update of the used Java version. Maybe that messed up something with those files.

Regards,
Nitram
Kira

Post by Kira »

Yeah I deleted those files in the user category and reinstalled illarion just to be safe. Seems to be gone now. There was no abnormal cpu load, though, the times I checked.
Kira

Post by Kira »

The freezing glitch is back again.

This time it's a fresh install with all illarion related files deleted and java cache cleared.

It's been 6 days since the clean install.

It happens on all my characters, not just one.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

I've had this problem too, just within the ~10 minutes I've been playing. Then Illa crashes.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Woa.

The client is generating a massive load on your system.
What ever this is, it is related to a IO Operation. It looks like the client is reading or writing something on the harddisk.

Could be a map file.

Something like this may generate a log file that gives some indication regarding what goes wrong.
You find this log at: C:\Users\<YourName>\.illarion\client.log

Could you zip that file and send it at: nitram@illarion.org ?

Regards,
Nitram
Kira

Post by Kira »

I've sent them, though it seems to have generated more than just one log file. All had the same creation date so it seems they were all updated recently, so I just sent them all.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The client does log rotating.

client.log is the current one. In case the current log exceeds a size of 10MB the file is compressed and a new log is started. client.log.1.gz to client.log.5.gz are the compressed versions, where client.log.1.gz is the newest one and client.log.5.gz is the oldest one. Older log files are automatically deleted.

Thank you for the logs anyway. I am checking them for any problems.

Regards,
Nitram