Lags

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Banduk

Lags

Post by Banduk »

I have a huge problem with lags the last days.

The connection seems ok, I measured multiple times:
77.000 - 80.000 Mbit Download / 3.500 – 3.800 Upload / 24-27 ping / processor load 2-7%
I can’t measure the full content during the game since during the measurement I loose connection the most times.

I hadn’t changed my hardware, added or intentionally updated software except maybe Java and.

Nevertheless the game lags as hell. If I start it is ok, after some time lags starting and become worse. Relog helps a little, restart reduce the lag to the initial value.
It seems the lag rises faster if my char walks long distances (see more map) or if more character moving in my view.
Mr.Oldie

Re: Lags

Post by Mr.Oldie »

So its not just me then. I thought my 2nd RAM blew or something.
It takes upto 15 minutes to lag up and go unresponsive once i log in. i have to then kill the process to play again mostly.
It might be somehow connected to the work/ moving as banduk suggested.
I lagged up faster when trying farm than when going hunting for meat.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

That sounds like a memory leak in the client or something like this.

Is this related to what you do?
So does it happen if you just stand around in more or less the same spot? Or do you have to walk around?

Nitram
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

yeah i think i was able to RP longer while standing still but then it starts to lag creating double entry of letters.
It comes and goes after that. its most noticeable while moving around.

All we can know for sure is it happens both times. there might be a slight difference in the time it takes to get laggy.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

I was having a lot of lag issues last night because of a poor connection on my end, but once that stabilized I left task manager open while playing.

It seemed to start the client around 350.000 KB, and by the time I got off it was up to around 800.000 KB. Which is a really strong sign that Nitram is correct and we have a memory leak in there. (Note to people who aren't nitram: a memory leak just means that stuff isn't getting deleted that should be deleted and it slowly piles up. Eventually this can pile up until you run out of RAM, causing a crash)

During this time I was talking, walking, and fighting hordes of mummies.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

Yesterday start with 360MB memory need, end with 680MB after about one hour.

If the char just stay around and talk or mine everything seems to be fine.
If you don't move the lag is not critical. If a sentence might come a few tenth of seconds later you will not take care about. I remember such situations but cannot verify for sure.

It seems the lag becomes worse faster if the char runs around or you have more moving player chars in sight.
Yesterday I had about 20 mummies around in view for about 10 minutes and everything seems to be fine but it was at the beginning.
During the Akatult Quest there were multiple player running long distances together and it becomes extremely fast worse. Within 10 minutes a reload becomes mandatory. Once we reached a target and stand around for some minutes it seems not become worse.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I had a similar lag today. There was some movement lag but mostly with the text entry. I had to wait for the text to appear and it was full of double letters. After standing still for a while, the issue seemed to improve. It was definitely worse with movement.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I think I got it.

The quest markers (the little ! on top of the characters who have quests.) were the problem. Every step you took generated more of them and they never got deleted.
So if you moved around near a NPC with a quest, the memory leaking happened. And with "near" I mean that you just have to see the NPC on your screen.

Could that be it?

Nitram
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

i have toggled off the quest markers. but the lags are still there.
Also there are quest markers shown on top of some NPC even after toggled off though.
Also i found two places with ! with no NPC under it too..
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

There are two issues here.

The quest markets showing while they are disabled is a side effect of the memory leak. It does not matter if you disabled them. You ate still effected.

The second is a problem with the quest design. It would be great if you could report the locations where you encountered this so it can be fixed.

Nitram
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

1.574 GB Speicherverbrauch nach 1-2 Stunden spielen ...
Vielleicht solltest Du das selbst mal ausprobieren.

Bereits nach dem Start sind bei mir 860 MB Speicher allokiert. Das ist meines Erachtens schon deutlich zu viel.

Und der Illarion Launcher frisst nochmal 118 MB. Dass der nach dem Start nicht verschwindet sollte gefixt werden.
Das macht bei Leuten, die das Spiel zum ersten Mal ausprobieren wollen, bestimmt keinen guten Eindruck ...

VG, Ragorn
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I found the lag severe tonight while cutting gems in Cadomyr. I seemed to be the only one affected and was the only one engaged in crafting with 3 or 4 other players around plus the regular NPCs. It was corrected by logging out and relaunching the client.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Ragorn wrote:1.574 GB Speicherverbrauch nach 1-2 Stunden spielen ...
Vielleicht solltest Du das selbst mal ausprobieren.
Habe ich schon, ich denke am Entwicklungsclient habe ich das jetzt im Griff. Ich werde zeitnah ein Update des Clients durchführen.
Ragorn wrote:Bereits nach dem Start sind bei mir 860 MB Speicher allokiert. Das ist meines Erachtens schon deutlich zu viel.
Das ist vollkommen normal. Dort zählt der Speicher mit rein, der auf der Grafikkarte angefordert wird. Das sind die unkomprimierten Texturen. Also so 1GB Speicherverbrauch ist vollkommen normal.
Ragorn wrote:Und der Illarion Launcher frisst nochmal 118 MB. Dass der nach dem Start nicht verschwindet sollte gefixt werden.

Das macht bei Leuten, die das Spiel zum ersten Mal ausprobieren wollen, bestimmt keinen guten Eindruck ...
Java und JavaFX brauchen halt speicher. Und das der Launcher offen bleibt war ein Feature request. Das habe ich extra eingebaut.
Kamilar wrote:I found the lag severe tonight while cutting gems in Cadomyr. I seemed to be the only one affected and was the only one engaged in crafting with 3 or 4 other players around plus the regular NPCs. It was corrected by logging out and relaunching the client.
I will publish a update really soon. I'll see if it gets better then.

Regards,
Nitram
Justine Zinovia

Post by Justine Zinovia »

Und das der Launcher offen bleibt war ein Feature request. Das habe ich extra eingebaut.
Bin auch dafür, dass das weiter so bleibt. Wenn jetzt irgendwo eine Wahl dafür/dagegen ist, die ich nicht bemerkt habe.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

Am having terrible lags the past few days all of a sudden.
Usual Ping: 100 to 400 +2 ms
current pings go upto 8000 + 2 ms
no idea why.. But i can see other characters running around and the wild creatures and other graphics moving in a normal manner when the ping goes back down. so i guess the problem is on my end.

The question is what can i do to remove this problem?

Running
Windows 7 Ultimate on
Intel Core i3
2GB RAM
32bit OS

BTW other games seems to be running just fine though.
Let me know if you need any more info.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

If you enable the FPS display in the options, do those break down when the ping spikes happen?
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

Shows FPS;10-11
When the ping hits ~6000.. right now.

i would also like to say that the ping has hit 39000 once, the highest that i have seen.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

it varies as the character tries to move. but staying still gives 10-11
not sure if its related in anyway.. but just noticed that.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Those FPS are very very low. That indicates that something is wrong.

What graphics device are you using?
Are the drivers up to date?

Nitram
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
got driver version:331.65

the NVIDIA Geforce Experience says the driver is uptodate
but i found drivers upto 341.81 out there in the site.
Not sure if i should update to this or not since the Experience says its uptodate.

please confirm what i should do next and may be provide a link for the exact driver i should download..
Dont wanna mess it up by doing it myself since there is conflicting info :D
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

You found the correct one. Use this one. The reason why the Nvidia Experience is not showing the update is that they broke the auto update of the experience a while back and if you did never update it by hand it became stuck. The driver you are using is more than 2 years old and is likely to conflict with your other system drivers.

Since you have a Intel Core i3 processor I suggest you also fetch the intel tool for driver updates from here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect
So you get the remaining important system drivers up to date.

Regards,
Nitram
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

I had trouble with 341.81
downloaded it, but it shows a "7zip:data error"

Anyway i downloaded the next one recommended.. 341.44
the FPS has come up.. and remains 58~61 now
but the pings still remain high and i am still having difficulty with moving around.

all the intel utilities were uptodate.

But, i would also like to note that even though the drivers for graphics device was obsolete before i was able to play with it until about a few days back.. almost a week now i guess.
was there any update lately that might cause this? i cant think of anything else that might have changed within this last week.

Thanks for the help till now,
PO(purple)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

There was no update of the client so this issue does not originate there. And I doubt that it has something to do with the server because the you are currently the only one reporting issues like this.

In any case the FPS you are reporting now are what I would expect from your computer. So that is a good thing.

Did you change anything on your system that could have caused this? New/Updates firewall or anti-virus software? Any windows updates?
Are you experiencing any connection slowdowns with other applications?
Are you able to check the router connecting you to the internet? Is it reporting any issues with the connection?

Nitram
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

updated to 341.81 now.
It was just a downloading glitch.
The problem persists with illarion though.

The thing is am not the only one using this desktop so cant say for sure what all has happened.
And now that you have mentioned it, i think there might be a few issues in here.
For one my HDD is almost full.
And also I noticed while i used excel lately that it shows the following error when saving:

" The system you are saving to does not have enough memory to remove personal information from file properties. All personal information may not be removed." :lol: ^^"

Never paid much attention to it since the file was getting saved anyway.
Anyway after your post i checked the installed programs and found an adware "thewedownloadpro".
Even after uninstalling, it shows up in browsers now.

Could you perhaps recommend tools to get rid of malware/adware/freeware/whatever to clean up the mess?
Links would be helpful or atleast safe sites to download it from. :)
If online scanning and removal can be done that would be most welcome.

Sorry for taking up your time with this,
thanks for being patient.
Cheers,
PO(Purple)

PS. removed all the "temp" files. heard that it helps. didnt work
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Okay.

First thing to do is to run a hard drive clean up.
Right click the main drive -> properties. In one of the tabs there should be a button clean up. You may need administrator rights to do the full sweep. This should free some space.
Next thing is: Check the stuff you got installed on the system? Are there any fancy tune up, speed up and anything like this tools present? Remove them! They are evil! There are tools that mess with the settings of the network device to "speed things up." Usually this means changing the package sizes and things like this that usually leads to slightly faster download speeds and massively higher ping times (because the data is not send until a sufficient data has accumulated or a time out triggers).

The thewedownloadpro maleware consists of two parts. You already got rid of one. The second on needs to be uninstalled from the browser using the extension pages of the browser.

For the maleware scan. Check if you have any anti-virus/maleware software installed. If not you could use this for starters. It is not extremely good but it will take care of the biggest issues.

Nitram
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

For what ever it is worth, It is not just you. When I start the game, all is fine. Moves as it should. Not lightning fast, but I know my connection isn't the best. After some time, it slows a little. if I change maps (transport, up-down ladder, have many monsters) it slows down a lot. If I log out, wait a moment ( one minute) and log back in, It is fine again. I have gotten used to this. I also only have this trouble playing this game. Not with any other apps.
It is not a serious problem for me, but can be inconvenient if I am with other players and have to ((#o Need to re-log)) and hope they wait. The most frustrating thing for me, is getting lagged because of there being dozens of rabbits, chickens or what ever. They shouldn't be flooding a monster spawn point. I cant count how many times I have been in serious trouble from lagging while being in combat, because of all the extra animals around.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

This problem is known to happen for different people. I was not yet able to find out what exactly is causing this issue, because it does not happen on my system. I can use the client easily for hours without any measurable slowdowns.

Nitram
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

The longer I play, after about 30 minutes, the lower my framerate goes. The only way to restore my framerate is to close out the task manually from the taskmanager, closing the client only does not solve the problem. Standing in one place for a long time does not seem to cause the problem. I can RP or craft for hours on end, but if I run around the map digging treasures or exploring the problem happens much faster.

All drivers are up to date. I do not use razer game booster or any other stuff like that. I have recently upgraded from win7 to 10. The problem has been there since before my upgrade.

CPU: i5 750 2.66ghz
Ram: 12gb
GPU: R9 270x
Game is running from an SSD.

Edit: Nitram just posted, so I will add a bit more info.

I have watched the details of taskmanager and notice the slow but steady climb of my ram usage going higher. As soon as I load the client the ram usage is usually in the neighborhood of 4gb used but has gone as high as 10gb usage. My CPU/disk/network never go above 50% usage. Only the ram.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Lord Arcia wrote:I have watched the details of taskmanager and notice the slow but steady climb of my ram usage going higher. As soon as I load the client the ram usage is usually in the neighborhood of 4gb used but has gone as high as 10gb usage. My CPU/disk/network never go above 50% usage. Only the ram.
:shock: What? You sure? 4GB at launch? 10GB later? For me it is more like 400MB at launch and 1.2GB at runtime. You sure that you did not shift a zero? I do not think that I allowed the client to even fetch that much memory.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

Allow me to clarify. That is not the amount of system resources that illa is using, but my computer. Every time I close the illa client, the old java processes still run. I have to force the client to 'end task' or else every time I close the client I just continue to add more and more of them.

4gb is usually what my computer is using with chrome/steam/antivirus software and my logitech device manager uses. The 10gb is what happens when I do not force the old clients to close and have several of the old processes running.