GIT & SourceTree - How to use

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Banduk

GIT & SourceTree - How to use

Post by Banduk »

I‘m struggling with GIT for years and it blocks really any simple thing that could be done without long discussion. I never know, if I’m up to date or not.
Each try to help me over the past 18 month failed so I want to ask here if there is anybody having the nerve and experience to show me how it works.

I have my GIT branch of the Illa web page and content. I have a working copy on my notebook.
I’m using SourceTree as user interface.

There are 2 tricky necessary use cases only:
1. How to make sure my GIT branch is up to date. (The moment I want to start working.)
It might be more or less like fork again from the Master.
2. How to bring the (updated) private GIT branch to my Notebook so I have a 100% working copy?
3. I know how to commit a change from my working copy into my private GIT branch!

It is not that I don’t understand the principle. It’s just handling! Things like click here, read there and this message means that.
Please contact me by PM or chat.
Banduk
Vilarion
Developer

Re: GIT & SourceTree - How to use

Post by Vilarion »

Add the official repository as remote in SourceTree (Repository -> Add remote...) URL: https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion-Website.git
Hit the pull button and select the new remote to get the current version into your local repository.
Then hit push and select your own github remote (should be the default since you cloned from there) to update your own github repo.

The commit list will also show all branches, both local and remote, as coloured labels. This way you will always know if you are behind. SourceTree does git fetch on all remotes once a while, so this should be fairly up to date. You can also use the fetch button to do this yourself. Remember: Pull = Fetch + Merge.