Can't fight.

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

EnderDDT

Can't fight.

Post by EnderDDT »

So my character seemingly can't level his fighting skills... at all. When I first started I walked around and killed a bunch of animals, but never leveled. Today I just spent hours trying everything possible to get even one level with a dagger. Including attacking an unarmed and unarmored man for well over 10 minutes straight, spending another 10 minutes or more going after him with armor, and at least 30 or 45 more minutes going after animals. All with a level 0 weapon on a character with 10 agility. Not sure what is happening, but it seems like something is wrong.
EnderDDT

Re: Can't fight.

Post by EnderDDT »

hours total time, the times at doing things were what I wrote about above. For instance in walking to the end of the twin islands required as much walking as it did killing every animal I saw.
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

Finally got 1 level, after 3 hours of waiting and another 20+ minutes of fighting. I'm still wondering if something is wrong. That was all for just one single level in one single skill.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

The rate of skilling up in a certain skill is affected quite a bit by its primary attribute. You mention the agility is 10 which is rather average, but you should probably still have skilled within the time frame you mentioned. Another thing that might be affecting your rate is if you have spent time before your attempt raising other skills (perhaps inadvertently). Other than that, I can't imagine why it'd be going so slowly...perhaps someone else has other ideas.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I just tested levelling up and found no problems. I will list the factors, influencing skillgain, below:

-Attributes, many fighting skills rely on strength (see: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=37414)
-The amount of actions you did over time - the more actions you do over time, the less you learn from the individual action
-The opponent - you cannot learn anything from fighting weak opponents once you reach a certain level
-The time for an action - you learn more from "long" actions than from "short" actions
-The skill level itself: The higher the level, the slower you learn
-At higher levels: Random becomes noticeable
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

Random is still there, even at the lower levels? Sounds like I probably just got dice screwed then.

To go through the list.
-Puncture weapons use agility, character has average in that stat.
-spent literally 5-6 hours doing nothing but talking (usually about raising the skill) or actively trying to raise the skill. In the past I had raised other skills 10 levels with worse stats in less time (specifically, an instiment skill). All for 1 level.
-Level 0 in the skill, so all opponents should allow me to learn. Also fought against an experienced fighter both with and without armor/shield.
-I believe the "long action/short action" split is there to make up for the difference in how long an action takes. Either way, constant short actions should still help one to learn something.
-0 (now 1) skill level, so it is pretty low.
-all that is left is the random.

Unfortunately random doesn't always like me. The god of luck (Nargùn, is it?) was probably just up to his old tricks again.

Thanks for the help and for checking to make sure something wasn't broken.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Of course, it is necessary to land hits.

You said you were learning instruments. That does take a toll on your learning curve. If you are more inclined to learn this, you will learn it very quickly. I believe I heard you say you set up your character as a mage character. That being said, he will likely not be inclined to learn how to fight so quickly. You will have to fight hard for every single fighting skill. What that means is, you cannot learn anything else while you learn to fight. Nothing. If you want the character to learn to fight... train in absolutely nothing else or your character will learn the wrong skills.

I know that this is going to be difficult. Especially since he is going to be inclined to learn other things so well. This is my best advice.