Firewall Help

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

EnderDDT

Firewall Help

Post by EnderDDT »

It seems that my firewall is having trouble letting the program through. I can't exactly go around with it turned off permanently, so I need to know exactly what to let through and what degree of permissions it needs. I tried on the Chat but they don't know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Estralis Seborian

Re: Firewall Help

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I am not expert in getting stuff through a firewall, but some general hints:

-Illarion uses some ports, please ask vilarion or Nitram for details
-Illarion uses Java. So, Java should to be a "trusted" application. Path might be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin
-It always helps to name your operating system (e.g. Windows 8.1) and what firewall you use
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Estralis,
When we had DDT in IRC, he indicated he was using Windows 7 and Zone Alarm. Hopefully, this helps a little.

PO ~Uhuru~
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

This link was sent: http://hdc.tamu.edu/Security/Firewalls/ ... rsion_.php

Did you ever find the error log? Search for an Illarion folder on your computer, you may or may not have one depending on how far your download went. (they said it looked stalled)
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

No error log. I did get in and was able to play, though it was a bit choppy, but only by disabling my firewall. I'm going through and messing with myfirewall now to try to get it fixed, but if it needs anything more than that then I'll need to have someone a bit more computer savvy to tell me what to do. Uhuru is right, I have Windows 7 with ZoneAlarm.
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

Still having trouble with my firewall. I let everythintg through that had "Java" in the name just to be sure, and even created a section for the illarion.jar file (which ZA doesn't consider a seperate application), and it still won't do anything till I disable the firewall. And the moment the firewall comes back up the program looses connection and closes. And still no error file in the Illarion folder.

If nothing else works, can someone reccomend a good Windows 7 firewall that is free and doesn't cause problems with Illarion? (regardless, I might be needing to change it anyways, this little experiment has shown me some holes in the firewall itself).
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The illarion applications that run with the java.exe and the javaw.exe communicate using TCP connections on the ports 80, 443 and 3008. All connections are established from the local computer to the target server. So there are no "incoming" connections.

Nitram
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Windows 7 comes with an integrated firewall.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I remember that Zone Alarm has some kind of "game mode". You can try that. All in all, keep in mind that a software firewall does not the protection that is implied - only hardware firewalls offer real protection.