Information on socketing magical gems

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Flux

Re: Information on socketing magical gems

Post by Flux »

Well, I actually can't confirm anything because I wrote my drop list suggestions 2 years ago and I haven't checked whether they're still the same. There were other hypotheticals too back then.

Pretty sure merinium golems will still have a huge chance of yielding a magic gem of some kind.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I found a magical gem from a medium skill level spider. (I won't say which.. or it ruins the fun!)

So not necessarily just hugely skilled monsters.

Matt
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Cleaned up the initial post.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

There are bound to be more questions so changed to a sticky for now.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Rincewind wrote:
What's the use of tax? It was said it influences the magic gems somehow.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Do gems currently work in shields?

If so, what exactly do they raise?
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Some information. The way that estralis explained the gem bonus formula, I thought it was (sum of ranks) * 2

But after discussing with flux its (sum of ranks) + (12 * lowest rank gem)
Flux

Post by Flux »

Salathe wrote:Some information. The way that estralis explained the gem bonus formula, I thought it was (sum of ranks) * 2

But after discussing with flux its (sum of ranks) + (12 * lowest rank gem)
But that final bonus is only if you complete a set.

So if you have 9 9 9 9 9, you will get 45+0, if you have 9 9 9 9 9 1 you'll get 46+12=58, if you have 9 9 9 9 9 3 you'll get 48+36=84 etc.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Only for weapons? Can these be put into tools in the future if not able to presently?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

There isn't a real a proper concept what effects gems in tools should have
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

The previous gem effects made for some good strategy in fighting.. now it seems really bland. maybe in the future add effects to certain weapons and armor? maybe have a wide variety of effects and weapons /armor for the max skill, something taht can add strategy to the max fighters. or maybe something is already being worked on, I know you guys work hard so I'm not picking, do what you do and I will play cus I know you guys will continue to make it better!

Buttering up the devs? mmmaaybe :P

no but really at the rate its going the game keeps improving at I make a big shout out to the devs for the effort. Thanks!
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

If you think that a certain concept for gem effects is superior to the current one, make a proposal, please. If you think that the pre-vbu system was better than what we have now, say that (of course, with an explanation why).

The current system works. And there is also a certain appeal of having the gems having all the same effect: No town can complain that they have crappy stones. If we create six different effects for alle six stones, there is enough room for complaints. Keep that in mind.
Leon Demelii

Post by Leon Demelii »

Personally, when I think about this topic I am torn from a real opinion.

I do like that the gems in this client have the same effects. This causes trades between towns and interaction between players. Which from what I have seen, is what the developers were going for. I admire this idea.

On the other hand, I miss having the magical gems giving their own effect. The previous client gave more interesting factors when using different gems. Thus, made it more competitive. An idea I also liked.

In conclusion, if the gem system was put back to the original state, you would have characters moving around from town to town in order to collect the gems instead of trading them. Or having multiple characters in each town and finding a way to trade them around with friends so their main character could get them. That might sound ridiculous, but I have seen it more times than I care to count. I do understand the concept of crafters wanting to use gems for their work. I include myself in that group. Perhaps there is a way to place effects on crafting items the same as weapons have? Maybe even armors?
Avariel

Post by Avariel »

Socketed tools could be a requirement to forge magical items, like elven bows, or merimium plated weapons. This way the crafters would have use for the gems also.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

The stones effects could remain the same ,i would like to see them in use in armours,tools ,shields,jewelery etc in the future ,making them a functioning items for all styles of play.The stones bonuses remaining as they are yet being able to effect defense (armour ,shields etc) , crafting (tools ,jewelry etc)
Jewelry giving a lesser but general bonus to skills .

Whatever gets decided, i do admit the old gem system pre vbu was far more interesting and special.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Use the proposal for further discussion, please:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 8&p=677545
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

It seemed more appropriate to post my question here rather than start a new thread, as this seems to be the go to place for gem queries.

So... I noticed you can socket gems into various pieces or armor... does doing this have any IG affect currently? Like increased defense?

Or do gems only have the effect of improved damage output when socketed into a weapons?
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Gemming weapons is practically useless right now and increases damage for about 10% of the displayed value. I've offered a quick fix for that here and in Mantis ages ago, but no one seems to care.
Gemming armour increases the armour rating of the respective armour piece for the displayed value, which is powerful. In combat each hit location is handled separately with the respective armour piece reducing damage. The chances to hit each body part is: 40% chest, 20% legs, 15 % hands, 15% feet, 10% head
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Q-wert wrote:Gemming weapons is practically useless right now and increases damage for about 10% of the displayed value. I've offered a quick fix for that here and in Mantis ages ago, but no one seems to care.
Gemming armour increases the armour rating of the respective armour piece for the displayed value, which is powerful. In combat each hit location is handled separately with the respective armour piece reducing damage. The chances to hit each body part is: 40% chest, 20% legs, 15 % hands, 15% feet, 10% head
Normally this stuff is totally beyond my abilities, but i have read through the mantis and your solution Qwert. I will see if I can get my brain around inserting it in the next couple of weeks. I have to prepare some fire extinguishers for my poor mapper brain first.

((http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=10548))
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Q-wert wrote:Gemming weapons is practically useless right now and increases damage for about 10% of the displayed value. I've offered a quick fix for that here and in Mantis ages ago, but no one seems to care.
Thanks for the info! Does this mean that adding gems to a chest plate, would have the same effect as adding gems to say, a pair of gauntlets? Also I'm not really sure what you mean by armor rating? The only stats I have seen on armor pieces seem to be quality and required usage level related.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

When a character is hit, there is a percentaged chance to hit each location I listed, for which the armour rating present at that location is then applied. You can see the armour rating (or its lack) in effect when you take off your characters armour. This damage reduction effect (armour rating) is what is multiplied by the gems put into a certain piece of armour.

The effect on the local hit location is the same, no matter what piece of armour gems are put in. However putting them into the chest piece affects 40% of all hits your character recieves, while gauntlets are only hit by a chance of 15%.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Oooh right. I think I understand what you meant in your first post now as well, haha. Thank you for clarifying. So logically, it makes sense to socket gems in the area or areas you are most likely to be hit by an attach such as your chest or legs?
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Yes.
Medalikarz

Post by Medalikarz »

can i unsocketing magical gems?
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Yes you can do it at every magical enchanter NPC.
But beware it is expensive
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

Alytys Lamar wrote:But beware it is expensive
Only as expensive as the item that the gems are being unsocketed from.