Netbooks?

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Athian

Netbooks?

Post by Athian »

IS the VBU capable of being played on netbooks or other small screen displays? Tried it a few times and doesn't appear to work.
Llama

Re: Netbooks?

Post by Llama »

Smallest resolution client supports is 800x600 which should be more than enough

Otherwise MSE are there:

http://illarion.org/illarion/us_java_download.php
Athian

Post by Athian »

I've tried that as well, but the client continued closing on me. Not immediately, it would stay black for awhile then shut down. I'll see what else i could find. Java is up to date as well, will check the drivers again but pretty sure they are up to date.

The computer in question is an Acer Aspire ZG5. Older but shouldn't be too old, at least i didn't think so. thanks for the feedback.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Does error.log contain any infos? Does your graphics... solution support shaders?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

tryed an extern monitor?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

It says this kind supports shaders... http://www.ehow.com/list_7498497_kind-a ... e-zg5.html
Flux

Post by Flux »

Sounds like a driver issue.
Athian

Post by Athian »

produces no error report at I've seen. Screen is just black for a period of time and then the client crashes. I can see my characters name on the online list but nothing on the actual screen, then its gone.

Drivers are up to date as far as I've been able to tell, downloaded the latest versions from the manufacturers website. I'm just going to guess that its not going to work and call it a day. Thanks all
Llama

Post by Llama »

What gfx card you have? Is it one of those rubbish Intel ones?
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Alright Athian!

If this is still relevent, you don't seem to meet the minimum requirement of a dual core processor. However, the processor in your machine is 1.6ghz, whereas the minimum requirements say a 1.4ghz. Your integrated graphics card, the intel GMA 950 is directx compliant with up to 3.0 shaders, so you are all gravy there (192mb gpu).

SO! You just gotta make sure you have OpenGL drivers installed, Directx9.0c driver, and Java Runtime Environment 1.7.0.15 (32-bit). Check your mobo, Integrated GPU, and bios version.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd grab .net framework 4.0, adobe acrobat reader, and Visual C++ redist. Just 'cause you never know ^.^

Just running through the whole list man. Good luck, and don't give up!

Later dude.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Acrobat reader? For Illarion?!

You /shouldn't/ need the c++ or .net redists either. Also our system requirements page is outdated, and applied to the previous client.
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Hey, I've experienced weird stuff when I didn't have acrobat reader installed. I don't know what it is...but maaaaaan.....
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

You don't need .NET, Acrobat Reader or the Visual C++ Redistributable.

What you need is:
Java! I highly recommend Java 7 32bit on netbooks.
Also you need up to date graphic drivers.

The problem is the Intel GMA 950 as this graphics chipset has a faulty hardware implementation and a rather bad OpenGL driver delivered by Intel.

How far do you get with your installation? Does the updater download the required files? Does the window of the client appear (even for a short time?)
If the window appear the error.log file should appear in your user directory (default: C:/Users/<your name>/Illarion/usr/ )

In any case: With Windows you WILL have performance problems on this netbook. If its a option for you, you could install any Linux distribution on this netbook as the client performance like 5 times better on Linux then on Windows (due the better OpenGL implementation on Linux)

Other than that the client should be able to run on such a computer.
Athian

Post by Athian »

I hadn't even really been thinking about this but yes the client does appear lingers in black screen for up to a minute then exits. I'll provide a logfile when i have time for it though I've been a bit busy. Thanks for the feedback all the same.