Loss of internet

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Lucy Bann

Loss of internet

Post by Lucy Bann »

For a long while, my family has been having problems with our internet connection, occasionally it'll just turn off for a while. This is pretty intermittent, and not really a big deal. However, every time I open the game for more than a minute, the whole house loses connection. Anyone have any ideas for me? :?
Achae Eanstray

Re: Loss of internet

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Sounds like you need to call your internet provider about the loss of connection. Could be a problem with wires if you have cable.
Marsuveus

Post by Marsuveus »

Check your bandwidth. Games like Illarion, if I'm not mistaken, require (or at the very least, strongly recommend) a broadband internet connection.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Illarion can be played on dial-up however.
Marsuveus

Post by Marsuveus »

Ah. In that case, bandwidth is likely the least of your worries :wink: That's quite impressive, for a game.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

I already payed Ilarion via a handy conection :D

@Lucy is the connection stable if you doesnt play the game? (e-g- stay you online f you are just in messengers?
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

There are a good few reasons for this. I assume its broadband via telephone lines and not satellite or mobile dongle etc. Whole house/other devices looses internet so that rules out it’s your singular computer /settings

So it could be the router,(some are just crap and they can go faulty over time.) either hardware fault or settings. Have a look at the settings there are plenty of guides on the internet (bit of a catch 22 there haha.) Just look up the model for a guide and broadband settings for your provider and check they are entered right. Also have a look and see who is connected to the router maybe your neighbour is cashing in if it’s not a secure network. On the note of neighbours they might also have wifi which is contesting the same channel as yours, if there are other networks try changing your router channel.

Is the router plugged into the master phone socket, (Main socket where the outside line comes into the house) if not give it a go, this just eliminates any faulty phone wiring spurs in the house.

Is the router or much phone cable on, near or around anything that may interfere with it. i.e other electrical devices, wifi emitting devices that might be contesting the same channels, hell I had a friend whose central heating would screw up his wifi when it came on, couldn’t figure that one out.

Filters, do all your phone line sockets have filters, maybe one is missing faulty. Now I had similar internet troubles as you not so long ago. Called up the broadband company they did line tests found nothing only the odd line drops. To cut a long story short, I had a filter that only had the phone plugged in, the other socket empty save for a slug that crawled in and fried its self over the live terminals, took me best part of week until I looked INSIDE the flitter sockets rather than just wiggling any wires plugged in.

These are all the standard things your broadband company will ask you to do when you call them for help and for 80% of the time they fix issues. Give them ago. Then call up the broadband and ask them for help in a position of having helped yourself. They can help you configure your router and run line tests for faults or issues their end. Hope this helps.
Lucy Bann

Post by Lucy Bann »

Thank you all very much. I'll try to go about fixing it.