I am having very bad lag.

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Quinasa

I am having very bad lag.

Post by Quinasa »

Since a month ago when I started playing again (or trying to), movement is very slow and 'blocky'. It will be alright for a few moments, then my mouse will hover for some seconds and my char will not move for some seconds. Nowhere else on my computer am I having this problem, I can move the mouse from the windowed screen all over the desktop and still the 'hand' cursor will be stuck and my char also be stuck. Then after some seconds it will complete the movement, and the whole thing starts again.

While this is happening, I can do other things on my PC - so the mouse itself is not 'stuck' except in the game window.

I have tried uninstalling the client, updating Java, and reinstalling. I have also tried all the Illarion client options on their lowest possible settings, and still nothing has worked.

PO Arcia and I are on the same connection, and he is having no issues. At first I thought it was because I was wireless, and he is not. But I am no longer wireless, and still having the very same problem. My computer is not old. I'm running Windows 7 (as is PO Arcia). Six to ten months ago I was having no problems at all playing the game. Now suddenly I am and can think of nothing I've done to effect the game.

Helpsies, please?
Quinasa

Re: I am having very bad lag.

Post by Quinasa »

Error log says only:
error log wrote:Illarion Client V1.21 started Sat Jun 18 15:38:49 CDT 2011
LWJGL: 6.1.7601.17514
VM: 1.6.0_26
Illarion Client V1.21 started Sat Jun 18 15:43:12 CDT 2011
Illarion Client V1.21 started Sat Jun 18 15:44:08 CDT 2011
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

"Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5570
Piotnik

Post by Piotnik »

I'm not sure, but maybe this helps you:

A short time ago Luca wrote in another thread, that he/she had a similar problem.
The solution found by him/her is: Uninstall the configuration program "ATI catalyst control center":
Start button -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> check, if this program is listed there -> uninstall it -> restart your computer

Just give it a try. This "ATI catalyst control center" is just for configuration purposes, so not essential for a well-working computer.
If Illarion still lags you can reinstall it again, of course.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I don't have "ATI catalyst control center" installed, but I do have ATI Catalyst Install Manager listed. Is that alright to uninstall, or is that necessary for my PC?
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Also I can't read the post you referred me to. I don't know any German.

Someone asked me earlier if I was sure I wasn't just lagging for the same reason everyone else was. I guess there was a server problem? But that wasn't it. I was lagging for weeks before, and still now after.
Raina Narethil

Post by Raina Narethil »

(( LUCA))

Oddly Video Lag
Since I formatted my pc and re installed windows 7 did, the game lags incredibly. Every few seconds the game freezes windows, sometimes briefly, sometimes in seconds for 10 minutes.
Formatting Before the game ran smoothly and without problems.

Could be a few things where I've been trying to change

OpenGL driver for my ATI Radeon HD 5770 installed, or update your video drivers

java was installed on the latest

Hab has told how Windows 7 x64, the hardware after the format has not changed.

Who knows about or has ideas can post like:) Thanks

(( DAMIEN))

Maybe just down loads Windows updates in the background?
It could otherwise possibly be a graphics card driver error. If the driver is the correct driver for the card, it may help to install an older driver, or chipset manufacturer drivers to use. But this is really unusual.
Otherwise I would try to examine the security software on your computer.
When security software with a strong firewall, it may be possible to somehow Illarion as reliable, so that it is not checked and filtered or blocked. This should of course do not fall in with the whole Java.

I myself use Win7 also 64, and my experience Illarion looks like exactly like what you've described there. However, I have sometimes even short periods when everything runs smoothly (except when my PC is not just the Internet, it is sometimes), but I have a very crappy internet connection. For me, there is the blame.

((Skamato))
Important question!

Which uses a Java version of her?

You should use no case on x64 Java!
So if you uninstall Java x64 and have the normal version on it, then maybe it works well with Illa: lol:

(( Luca))

You're both right and who should be somewhere still lags the check two things on every fall times.

But I just found the root of all evil. Any problems that I had to play with Illarion and even others, are now gone. That was stupid, that I need to format in addition to normal after the ati driver via AutoUpdate, got such a great program called ATI Catalyst Control Center CCC briefly, to get. I had to format before the first at all.

With a little googling and forum browsing I've found that it makes a lot of problems with its 3d graphics Excellerator and all matters which could be an additional factor because of its graphics card. So uninstalled the program mentioned, I just loaded the graphics driver and OpenGL, and now everything runs fine. :)

Thanks for the help.

German to english rough translation of that above thread hope this helps
Llama

Post by Llama »

I don't think removing CCC is a good idea. I think other programs need it.

If you want to, stop it loading on boot time. But if something bad happens see how you're going to solve it. When I removed it from my laptop to install updated drives the screen shrunk to 800x600.
Luca

Post by Luca »

CCC is not needed by any other programmes. It is merely an additional programme to change graphic settings on your video card, if they're not available in a games.
The reason your resolution shrunk, is probably because with uninstalling ccc, it also uninstalled your graphics driver. Because, at least that's how it was for me, deleting CCC alone isn't possible. You'd need to remove the whole package. ( display driver, obenGL driver and ccc that came with those )

So my final solution to that problem was, deleting every ATI driver installed on my pc ( including ati catalyst install manager ) going to: Start button -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Feature ( This will cause your pc to reset it's resolution to the lowest one, since no display driver is installed at this moment ) and redownload Display Drivers and openGL drivers individually. Then restart your computer.

This website contains drivers for the ATI Radeon 5xxx HD series, for 64-bit and 32-bit on Windows 7, Vista and XP.
Now I dont know if you're using 32-bit or 64-bit, but all you need after uninstalling the ATI drivers form your pc is downloading the Display Driver and the openGL Driver from the Individual Downloads tabs on this website:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... loads.aspx

I really hope that will help you fixing that lag. It worked 100% for me. :)
Last edited by Luca on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I had to redownload the game today, if others did also i.e. some kind of update, you might want to try that first and see if it helps.

Saw this link in another forum if it helps: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... river.aspx
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I'm downloading the separate drivers now, and not the CCC. We'll see how that goes.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I have downloaded and updated the separate drivers, completely skipping over the ATI CCC. There were 'display drivers' and 'OpenCL drivers', no 'OpenGL' listed. I wonder if they are the same thing? I double checked my version of Java (v6 update 26), and am still having an issue.

I checked out the link that Achae posted, but the last update was posted 7/26/2010. It's also Beta 10.7 preview of CCC, when the latest version of CCC on the AMD ATI website appears to be 11.6. Should I try downloading the latest version, and seeing how that goes? I'm just at a complete loss as to what to do now.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Thanks to Llama, I am able to play the game. Also thank you to everyone else that helped me!!!
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

CCC has absolutely no influence, uninstalling it is not recommended. Updating the graphics drivers is always reasonable, though.

I also have an ATI 5770, Win7 64bit and all works fine with CCC being installed.

Quinasa, perhaps you want to tell the other Illarionites how you solved your problem?
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Good idea Estralis! I don't know if I mentioned before, but I have Windows 7, 32 bit. I don't know what difference that makes.

Before making any changes, I downloaded the .exe files to upgrade my Radeon HD 5570 from the ATI website and left them in my Downloads folder untouched. They are only .exe files and won't run until and unless you double click them, so it's safe to leave them where they are. I only downloaded the Display Drivers and the OpenCL drivers for now. Once that was done I uninstalled my video card and all device drivers associated with it from the Device Manager window, and automatically reverted to my on-board video card (which is crap, btw!), then restarted the PC. Upon restart, my computer 'found new hardware' (meaning the previously uninstalled card) and reinstalled it. When restarting, Windows always searches for new hardware, so do it that way. I did not go to Device Manager to find the driver updates, because that would have updated the things I didn't want. I just went into my Downloads folder and installed the 2 drivers I'd downloaded before from their .exe files. The first was the Display Drivers and was easy to install, the second required me to choose from Modify, Repair, or Remove. There is no 'Install' option. I selected 'Repair' and it installed the OpenCL files I needed/wanted.

Just for good measure after installing both drivers I (a) restarted my PC (it never hurts, people), (2) made sure my desktop personalization was in Windows 7 Basic mode (which made a difference, honestly), and (3) tried running the client again. It worked like a charm.

I haven't installed CCC yet, and don't intend to any time soon unless Lord of the Rings Online (which I play far more often than Illarion) requires it. But if I find it does require the CCC, I'll report my findings here as to whether or not it has affected the Illa game play on my PC. To be clear: I never had CCC installed, just the Catalyst Install Manager - which you have to have installed to manage updates anyway. It just turns out that resetting my video card was all I needed.

Major props to Llama, though. He patiently walked me through the entire thing. I'm far too dumb when it comes to technical things, and he has the patience of *insert something here that has maxed patience skill*. If it were up to me, he'd get the Technical Staff of the Year Award.