Download Failure

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Vern Kron

Download Failure

Post by Vern Kron »

So, I've been trying to get the game to download for a while now. Here is what I get:

Unable to load resource: http://illarion.org/illarion/download/rsc_chars.jar

... Help? I use windows 7.
Evan Ross

Re: Download Failure

Post by Evan Ross »

Uh... Not really sure what your trying to download, but here's the link I download from.

http://illarion.org/illarion/download/i ... lient.jnlp
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Right, and then it gives me that error message.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Until someone else comes along that may have a better idea of the problem... make sure your java is up to date and if you have the game already in the java console, delete and redownload.

PS and make sure your firewall isn't blocking java.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I have uninstalled java, deleted the illarion file (that has nothing in it), messed with my fire walls, restarted my computer, switched browsers, and reinstalled everything. That didn't work. I have no idea what to do. Oh, and I switched my sources of internet to the very first internet source that I used to download illarion the first time!

It downloads an empty file folder. The next time I click, 'start game', it asks me where I want to put the same empty file folder.
Drakon Gerwulf
Developer

Post by Drakon Gerwulf »

Hi Vern, Not sure if this is the problem or not you need some like Nitram or Llama who has better experience in this matter.

Check your web browser if it is firefox, go to your options click application and look to see if you see this in there

JNLP File Use Java(TM) Web Start Launcher

To me it seems your trying to download it not run it..

not sure on windows 7, but you have a box appear when you click that start button. if it is there make sure you click open with and then from the pull down window, other and then Java(TM) Web Start Launcher.

Not sure if this is your problem it just seems to me Java is not starting and your actually trying to download the start button .

Hope this helps. if you have any questions please ask I will try to help.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

He is trying to find out what is blocking java.. firewalls off etc. Any ideas?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I click the start game, or play, (on the website, mind you) and it keeps giving me this. Now, I have that folder. But it keeps asking me to make it again. Whats up?
Drakon Gerwulf
Developer

Post by Drakon Gerwulf »

I understand, and thank you Achae for the picture, I am going to try to help the best I can. Let me do a little digging.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Try going to start -> run

Type in "javaws -viewer" and run it.

Delete the illarion client under applications and anything under http://illarion.org or http://www.illarion.org under resources.

Then try again.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I've been trying to help this gentleman for 2 days or so. Haven't had any luck yet :( So yeah he's done the usual voodoo of updating java, reinstalling the client, praying to Cthulhu and all that.
Drakon Gerwulf
Developer

Post by Drakon Gerwulf »

Thanks, Llama I was going to have to try to get a hold of you since I couldn't figure out the problem.

it almost sounds like there is a permission problem that makes the file but won't let be written to..

Maybe Pharse has an answer he runs windows 7 if I remember right reading an old post.

one quick question not sure if will help. I remember reading about installing the client again in one of old post.. could someone send him their illa folder minus the characters via email and let him try to run it?
Flux

Post by Flux »

The Illarion folder doesn't contain anything other than character folders and console dumps from having already run it. It's installed entirely to your java cache.
Drakon Gerwulf
Developer

Post by Drakon Gerwulf »

Thanks Flux. just wanted to check. will keep looking.
Llama

Post by Llama »

That's an idea. Lets try this new voodoo. Save the jnlp file to your desktop - and run it as administrator.

I never had any problems with illarion on windows 7. But lets try this shall we?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

No dice it appears. I tried to run it as an administrator, but that option did not appear. (However, I am the administrator)
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Look closely in the properties, there is a drop down menu with "Run as administrator" somewhere there, you just missed it methinks.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Karl wrote:Look closely in the properties, there is a drop down menu with "Run as administrator" somewhere there, you just missed it methinks.
That only works on executables. the JNLP isn't an executable, its a document of sort, so it doesn't work that way :(

If all else fails, get virtualbox, install Ubuntu on it, install illarion on that and play.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Apparently other java applications online work which makes me wonder if a download failure rather then java. The windows admin may possibly find the errors however even though it won't work on that particular file. This is how to enable it like Karl suggested: http://www.windows7news.com/2009/02/03/ ... r-account/
Llama

Post by Llama »

That procedure is very risky. It breaks the principle of least privilage. If he has a virus active it'll have full access to the system.

You should never run around with the root account.