Too loud! Privacy Please!

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Vern Kron

Too loud! Privacy Please!

Post by Vern Kron »

Something I have noticed, that I want to know if it could be changed or fixed or... if people like this idea.
We all know how some places are always just -filled- with people, and constant noisy-ness. Such as Eliza's shop.
Could it be possible that if a person is outside, and the door to places are closed, that the people outside couldn't hear unless they are close and then they would be whispers, or the people inside are yelling? In which case they would be normal chat?

The reason I think this would be a good idea, is because it would prevent some of the 'evesdropping' things that go on. Some places in the game, you can not even whisper without it being heard through a wall, and then everything being done or said is known. Regular conversations indoors aren't constantly having other peoples conversation on the outside which people -wouldn't- hear, flooding into their chat box.
People actually can talk about plans to do bad things without having to hush their voice, go to a certain location far away from walls, and speak.
Noisey shops placed next to houses won't cause trouble through the walls.
Silverwolf

Post by Silverwolf »

And that's the atmospheric thing there! The walls have ears, eyes everywhere.
But I got an very easy solution for you: Just go anywhere else, if you want privacy.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I agree if able to script, it would be wonderful not to be able to "hear" through a wall.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:I agree if able to script, it would be wonderful not to be able to "hear" through a wall.
Hmm... I think something like this would be possible, though tedious to program.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Silverwolf wrote:And that's the atmospheric thing there! The walls have ears, eyes everywhere.
But I got an very easy solution for you: Just go anywhere else, if you want privacy.
But that isn't right. A person who owns a home should be able to speak without having to worry about being heard, right? Or people evesdropping when they wouldnt be able to. Such as the flats to the south. I can be in the house, and be able to hear with names, of the people fighting on the otherside of the town wall.
That wall is so thick that it shouldn't be heard, right?
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Why don't you people use roleplay for that?

Act as if your character didn't hear what people said through a wall.

Not everything you see on screen your character has to know (same with things happening behind your characters back).

Torch and burn characters who do pick up everything as they are surely witches (male and female alike) for unnatural earsight, it's that simple.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Yes, it could be as simple as that. But there are people who always see who is behind them without looking, and when you have lots of text running into your chat box, you can get confused as to who said what.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Faladron wrote:Why don't you people use roleplay for that?

Act as if your character didn't hear what people said through a wall.

Not everything you see on screen your character has to know (same with things happening behind your characters back).

Torch and burn characters who do pick up everything as they are surely witches (male and female alike) for unnatural earsight, it's that simple.
Because the majority of people here dont use roleplay for anything outside the game engine parameters. Its kinda sad.

I like the idea.. you wouldnt be able to here spoken things unless the door was left open.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Sundo Raca wrote: Because the majority of people here dont use roleplay for anything outside the game engine parameters. Its kinda sad.
Put it on your personal roleplay rules list. Makes us two people already.
Get Vern to join, we'll be three. Talk with the players you certainly got on msn/other IM things and convince them aswell, we'll be many.

Make appropriate #me's and comments in game to show that this shouldnt be done and maybe you'll get some more followers that way.

#me picks up a faint babbling from the inside but shakes his head not understanding.

#me has no eyes in his back / doesn't notice whats going on behind his back.
Olive

Post by Olive »

there are a few blind characters in teh game, i think it would be more than fair to assume they can hear just about anythign that goes on within earshot, as long as they aren'tr eacting to visual clues and such
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Olive wrote:there are a few blind characters in teh game, i think it would be more than fair to assume they can hear just about anythign that goes on within earshot, as long as they aren'tr eacting to visual clues and such
Even though your other senses develop better. Being blind does not mean it's valid and reasonable for you to be able to listen to what is going on inside a house while you are standing outside on the street.

I suspect some people even using in character what they pick up being talked in the hospital, while they are coming from the workshop and heading to the tavern or library.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Voices should only be heard when near the windows.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

make perception a factor as well
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Thats close to impossible to code with a afford that is comparable to the advantage. And the advantage by it would be minimal in the best case.
As Faladron said. Just assume by your RP that you did not hear anything from inside.

There are much much much much much more importaint things to be done.

Nitram
Irania

Post by Irania »

Faladron always gets it right. I think he might be a genius.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Irania wrote:Faladron always gets it right. I think he might be a genius.
Of course he is, he's almost a lawyer