GAME WON'T WORK

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

SirOwnU

GAME WON'T WORK

Post by SirOwnU »

I got this game to work on my brothers computer but not on my own. I get to the part where I put in my Character's name and password then I click Play and it brings up a box with an X in it that says "Unable to find requested screen display mode." What's going on? :(

PS: I would also like to say that this game is the best, and I especially like the original Role Play in it.

PSS: Also it says in Technical Faq that it only works in Full Screen. Actually thats not true. I was hitting Function Keys to figure out what does what and I hit F11 and it made the game go to a small screen. Just something I thought I'd let you know.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Okay...What is your...

1.Operating System: Windows is supported completely as long as it's not Vista, while Mac works partially (tested it myself in College), and isn't supported completely.
2.Direct X Version: You need at least Direct X 7.
3.Video Card: Examples include something by ATI or Nvidia.
4.Your Sound Card: Examples include Sound Blaster
5. Your internet connection: Illarion works best on DSL and up, but is (barely) playable on 56k. Also, are you behind a router/gateway/firewall?
6.RAM and CPU.
7.Drivers for the video card: The ones that are up to date are the best.
8.Monitor's maximum resolution: Not sure, but I think the minimum resolution is 800 by 600. And the client's resolution must match the current resolution of the monitor.
9.Version of Java Installed.
10.IQ (Just kidding!)

Always post these when saying you have a problem. That way, the mods can help you.
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

I only wish I knew more info... but I guess I have a little.

I know I have Windows and I know it's not vista and I downloaded the Java and Windows 2.0 thing from the Illarion website.

I'm not sure if I have Direct X 7 and I don't know what that is

I don't have a video card

I don't know what a sound blaster is and I don't have one

I have DSL

I always use 800X600

Sorry I don't have more info
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

SirOwnU wrote:I only wish I knew more info... but I guess I have a little.

I know I have Windows and I know it's not vista and I downloaded the Java and Windows 2.0 thing from the Illarion website.

I'm not sure if I have Direct X 7 and I don't know what that is

I don't have a video card

I don't know what a sound blaster is and I don't have one

I have DSL

I always use 800X600

Sorry I don't have more info
Okay, first of all, all computers have video cards and Direct X. Without them the screen would be blank. And second, does your computer have sound? If so, you have a Sound Card. I wasn't saying that Sound Blaster is the only type of card. Anyhow, you can learn more about what kind of hardware your PC has by following five easy simple steps.

1.Click the Start button.
2.Click Run.
3.Type dxdiag into the text box.
4.Check each panel on the Direct X Diagnostics thingy.
5.Report back here with the information.

There, it's that simple. So simple, my mother could do it.
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

Just to let you know I just downloaded Direct X Version 9.0. Also I typed dxdiag and it said I typed it wrong or something.
Last edited by SirOwnU on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Did you run the diagnostics program?
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

I told you typing dxdiag didn't work
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

OK I tried something different and browsed and found some Direct X thing and I hit OK. It brought up something in a notepad about liscence rights and other stuff.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Last edited by SirOwnU on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
You edited your post. I posted my reply about the same time. Therefore, I didn't know that...
I told you typing dxdiag didn't work
So...Let's try this again...Click each thumbnail for the fullscreen.

Make sure you click ok on step 3.

Oh, and if it doesn't work this time, hopefully it's just a virus.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

SirOwnU wrote:OK I tried something different and browsed and found some Direct X thing and I hit OK. It brought up something in a notepad about liscence rights and other stuff.
Was it a. txt file or a .exe file? If it was a .exe file, click OK when it asks if you want to update your certificates.
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

I'm not sure what to tell you so I'll just copy all the info...

PC Name:HPPAV

Operate System: Microsoft Windows ME (4.90, build 3000)

Language: English

System Manufacturer: 00101680 7920

System Model: 15405300051252

BIOS: Phoenix

Procceser: Intel Celeron, ~900MHz

Memory: 126MB RAM

Page File: 130MB used, 1790MB available

DirectX Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904

I hope this helps
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Oh god...by HPPAV, does that mean a notebook computer? If so, you may have more problems than just the display. MMORPGs don't work well on notebooks. I learned that from someone who plays World of Warcraft, and the Everquest 2 forums when I played Everquest 2.

Anyhow, hopefully one of the moderators or developers reads this soon. They should be able to give you a definite answer. me, I'm just an otaku who knows a lot about computers.
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

I'm SO lost here. It can't be a notepad computer what ever that is. It's old but not that old. It says Windos@2000 Proffesional and hp pavilion 7920 on the front. It can't be that old.
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

OK I just downloaded some Windows thing. I'm not sure what it does but I'm crossing my fingers! Of course it didn't work. :(
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

... Have you checked to make sure that your computer is set to have colors at 32 bit quality?

Right click on your desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab, then make sure your "Color Quality" is set to 32 bits.... That's often what causes the Screen Display Mode error, I believe...

Also..
Nitram wrote:Illarion requires a resolution of 1024x768. Anything less causes an error.

Nitram
May try that.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

all these problems, i beginn to suspect, that the youth-protection module of Windows is the real problem.
to me it seems, it does not detect the user as mature enough for this kind of games.
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

You know... I had a real good feeling that would work, and maybe it would have if a thing didn't come up that said "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system Administrator"

They tell me as if I know the Admin >_>

PS:I completely and utterly HATE my computer :twisted:
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

good bye wiki....
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

OK it's just gotta be that 32 bit thing. I just can't get it too work because the thing I said above.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

T_T

Load the main admin account on your computer.

Enable all profiles to screw around with properties.

Right click on your desktop and click properties, then "Settings".

On "Screen Resolution", drag it to "1024 by 768 pixels". Click "Apply" and "OK" and let it do its stuff. Restart comp if it asks you to.

Oh and also you might want to get yourself a new computer.
Windows ME <<< Eww.
128MB RAM <<< o_o
~900MHz processor <<< ... and I thought my specs were bad.

You didn't post your graphics card on "display" in DirectX Diagnostic. What does it say there on "Approx. Total Memory" and "Current Display Mode"?

Might still work though; I don't know Illarion's minimum specs, but if I were you I'd select a framerate of 8, reduced graphics quality and 16bit colour depth on "Options" when you run the client.
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

If I knew how to load the main Admin I would've DONE THAT ALREADY!....

Yeah ok, I'm sorry, I guess I'm just a little irritated because nothing is working. Can you please tell me how to get the main Admin?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

SirOwnU wrote:If I knew how to load the main Admin I would've DONE THAT ALREADY!....

Yeah ok, I'm sorry, I guess I'm just a little irritated because nothing is working. Can you please tell me how to get the main Admin?
3 Questions.

1. How old are you? (i.e. Do you have a parental lock on your computer?)
2. Are you on a network?
3. When you load up your crappy OS, does it show your profile, then your parents profile? If so.. you have to go on your parents profile.
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

I am 14 years old. My parents have never considered security when it comes to computers. Also I use my own seperate profile. My parents don't even have a profile on this computer. Also I don't know what a network is. If you mean like DSL or Internet Explorer or w/e then yeah I got that, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

No a network; is your computer somehow linked to another computer?
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

Yeah it is actually internet-way connected to another computer and 2 lap tops... and considering how old this computer is... I think you just made me realize it's impossible to get the game to work on this one. Also I'm not allowed to touch the lap tops and my brother only lets me use the computer when he isn't (Just about never) because he is a complete Gunz the Duel finatic.
Llama

Post by Llama »

SirOwnU wrote:You know... I had a real good feeling that would work, and maybe it would have if a thing didn't come up that said "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system Administrator"
The only way I know of to disable that sort of thing involves playing around with the registry...

So erm, before you even TRY, make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Illarion should work fine on the given computer. I had something slower and it worked out just fine.

There is no such thing as admin-accounts for Win ME. Everybody who logs in can do everything.

Did the informations given in the wiki help?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Can you not right click on your desktop and press properties, SirOwnU?
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

Oh, here's that other info you wanted...

Approx Total Memory: 5.0 MB (I can already tell that's horrible)

Current Display Mode: 800 x 600 *(16bit)*

:arrow: thats the problem! It's gotta be!