deaths

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Athian

deaths

Post by Athian »

has anyone in the past few days experienced any of these after having there character die:

dropping of multiple items, either from the point your character dies while moving to the cross (dropping as you go) or dropping items more then twice after a log in (forced to log out for any reason upon death, when you log back in you drop items a second time)

An unusally high amount of skill loss after death, on a single or mulitple skills (the kind of skill loss that would seem more likily to come from several deaths)

these things have happened to several characters i play in the past few days i'm wondering if anyone else has noticed at all. don't go out killing yourselves to find out though. :wink:
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Happened to me and I like it, puts more fear into death.
Athian

Post by Athian »

what seems to be happening is that your dying mulitple times, if you persay have a forced log off, when you log back in you 're-die' several times. also if it's a implimented idea, then i don't think one would drop items every four or fives paces or so. this leave no time to reach a cross.

meaning you more then likily have a skill loss of 10-15(if not higher) points of mulitple skills. and lose everything on your person before having a chance to ressurrect.

I think thats called a bug Alkuurg. you go ahead and like that if you want. but not only is it unfair but its easily abused.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Losing items multiple times is a bug probably, I dont think for the skill loss though, probably intended, I dont know how much skill can be lost exactly, but making death less a joke isnt that bad to me, getting pretty tired that every new players dont give a damn about death and tell crap like ((my character is used to dying he cant be much injured)), I really heard that -.- .
Athian

Post by Athian »

id say if you lost say 5 points of skill in five catagories of skill that wouldn't be to bad. but as it stands it's more like this

you die (lose X amount of skill), now hyour forced to log out for some reason (glitch, sever freeze, server shutdown) you relog (lose X amount of skill again, one to X number of times) you travel to the cross (possibly continuing to lose skill points on your way)

while it would be fine once, i've already been caught in a situation where my character died due to a teleporter glitch (client froze for me but game continued) dropped items, lost skill, relogged, dropped more items lost even more skill. and with the skill system still a bit buggy as well, the character is now stuck with major loss and unable to properly relearn.

i don't think anyone else would want this situation to happen to them.

p.s. i've spoken with a few of the staff yesterday and this doesn't seem to be an inteneded issue to there knowledge. just wondering how frequent this was happening and if at all to anyone else, or under any special circumstances
Last edited by Athian on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

I agree with losing Items, losing skill is another thing entirley.

As much as I hate losing my things I worked for, I much more hate losing TIME I worked for.

Back on topic; I think everything that's there was put there for a reason, that's without a doubt to me.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I dunno, havn't died in a while
Athian

Post by Athian »

thank you for Kevin, you only have to post IF you've had this issue.
Caldrion Sternenglanz

Post by Caldrion Sternenglanz »

i had since long time ago.
xBaurusx

Post by xBaurusx »

its much easier to perma die.
Ku 'Agor

Post by Ku 'Agor »

xBaurusx wrote:its much easier to perma die.
It also sucks more aswell.
Athian

Post by Athian »

yea it is isn't it but take note once again, (in case you missed it) there are issues in the skill gain system meaning that you may not be able to recover any of the skill you lose.

also i did just say that it wasn't intended.
Ku 'Agor

Post by Ku 'Agor »

So you know without a shadow of a doubt that these things are unintentional?

I should keep Ku out of trouble then..
Athian

Post by Athian »

i've talked to two Dev's and a GM about the issue, they've all told me to report it as a bug. but i posted this to see if it was common but unspoken or osmething new entirely and to at least give people a fair warning as to it.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

athian
dropping of multiple items, either from the point your character dies while moving to the cross (dropping as you go) or dropping items more then twice after a log in (forced to log out for any reason upon death, when you log back in you drop items a second time)
when my char dies, i always loose a lot of items. if i'm forced to log out before revival, it costs me one or two items each time.

that few and low scills, my char has, seem to stay untouched.

korm
Ku 'Agor

Post by Ku 'Agor »

I just died in the crypt because of lag.

I walked and watched as my skills and my EXELLENT Lu-angor armor dropped.

Down
Down.
Down..
Dead...

I might have to ask for a skill boost.. and the server crashed so when I log back in I probably wont even be able to speak common.
Athian

Post by Athian »

now you know how i feel. imagine the same thing, except imagine that just with hard raise magic skills.
Ku 'Agor

Post by Ku 'Agor »

I share sympathy with you.

This is too much, Ku cant even speak orchish perfectly anymore.

-sobs at feet of GM- SKILL BOOSTS PEASE!
Athian

Post by Athian »

yea good luck with that Ku, they might eventually get around to fixing your orc language, but as for the rest of your skills, regardless of the fact that i could nominate this bug of the year, they're pretty much gonna be "tough luck, clients a bitch isn't it." it's just wonderful to have a bug that can literally cripple a character in one shot.

anyway did you notice anything else unusal when this occured. persay did you lag constantly or have to relog when you were a ghost?
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Your language skills are restored, Ku'Agor, but thats all I can do.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

I think I have witnessed something upon the death of Igrine Redbeard.

I followed the way he took to the cross and there was a double axe lieing around seemingly came out of nowhere so yes, this is a bug I guess.
Ku 'Agor

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Keikan Hiru wrote:Your language skills are restored, Ku'Agor, but thats all I can do.
Thanks Keikan, I appreciate it.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

Sorry to break it to you guys... but it seems the skill loss is NOT a bug. It's so we take death more seriously.

And thus the game is sent to the cross itself.
Athian

Post by Athian »

you missed the point entirely, the bug isn't the skill loss, the the redeath after log off, or any multideaths that happen for any reason , AFTER you been killed. please do read the topic awith a bit more care next time.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

I did read the topic. And I was responding to the things Ku was saying.
Athian

Post by Athian »

well then Ku, has now earned the title of topic monkey. from what i understand (having talked to a few peoples involved with the systems) this is an old bug, annoying but not very dangerous skill wise, but once you couple it with a much larger skill loss (i understand making death more serious, but maybe get the bugs out before getting all spontaneous :roll:), and this item dropping issue, it becomes a monster. overall the skill loss is fine. but once per death should be enough i think. i'm sure everyone can agree on that.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I best not start a new subject...

I was clouded and had to log in the next day because the doors to trollsbane were ALL closed not to mention I lost all my things(as is talked about above). I think spirits shoud be able to:
a.) Walk through walls.
b.) Walk through doors and people.
c.) Just not drop any items or loose skills after the initial loss of them.

@Athian: 5 is a somewhat large amount of skill to loose. A starting char that dies would now be useless if they lost 5 in there skills. Maybe 3?
Errian Abêth

Post by Errian Abêth »

I don't like the idea of a high skill loss when dieing. People who can not rp the time after being knocked down should rather be punished, but not everyone should be blamed for them.

Think about craftsmen, too. It takes a real long time to learn that stuff, and not everyone plays three hours a day. If I was a master craftsman, working month for that, and would lose half my skill because something clouded me, I would be quite "pissed", to say it gentle.
Thurbert~

Post by Thurbert~ »

If skill loss would only apply to combat skills, death would punish the right people, those asking for it.

It wouldn't be fair if a craftsman character or one not wearing armor 24/7 gets clouded by a noob / random monsters / lag or server crashes has to do things all over again, as Errian mentioned.

So, drain combat and magic skills upon death ONCE, oh and before I forget: Regardless of where you died.

It doesn't make sense that a death at townsquare should be less penalizing than one at the lighthouse due to distance to the cross.

Leave the item loss as it is (if people want to rob merchants or crafters, fine they'll get the items for using force and the people don't loose their skill) and most people will be fine.
Athian

Post by Athian »

i have no issue with the item loss aside from the fact that there's a chance for abuse. someone may cloud someone else and instead of being on there way and such just follow them picking up extra dropped items, something about that seem unrealistic. If we're to drop ALL our items thats fine, but at least have it happen all at once. item grabbers will end up killing rp sense.