The Burn List

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

The Burn List

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Ok, let's try this again, since Arein saw fit to remove it from the 'Players forum.........

Nitram or Martin was talking about a burn 'list'.

I understand that things 'wooden' such as tables, chairs, decorations and even parts of walls are on the list.

How come doors, carpet, Parquet floors and roof tiles are not?

Seems like they should be.

(This is a valid question, you Mods keep your hands off it until the Dev's can answer!)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The script does not burn tiles.

Why the door are not on the list i can't say.

Nitram
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

OK, thanks.

BTW ~ the question was just for future reference. What's done is done. This will help us plan our buildings better I hope.
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

Is it possible, that the fire spreads over two fields, leaving out one "not-burnable-item"? For example, if there is a burning tree, surrounded by water, is it possible, that the fire "jumps" over the water to reach a second burnable item, which is next to the water-tile?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Taeryon Silverlight wrote:Is it possible, that the fire spreads over two fields, leaving out one "not-burnable-item"? For example, if there is a burning tree, surrounded by water, is it possible, that the fire "jumps" over the water to reach a second burnable item, which is next to the water-tile?
the fire can jump over up to 4 tiles.
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

And will rain possibly put a burning building out?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

the fire INSIDE the building for sure not.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Nitram wrote:
Taeryon Silverlight wrote:Is it possible, that the fire spreads over two fields, leaving out one "not-burnable-item"? For example, if there is a burning tree, surrounded by water, is it possible, that the fire "jumps" over the water to reach a second burnable item, which is next to the water-tile?
the fire can jump over up to 4 tiles.
I guess two diagonal spaces as well, yes?
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Would rain stop a forest fire though?

If it doesn't, maybe it could be worked on.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Maybe the CO2 emissions from burning the trees will cause global warming and Varshikar will become uninhabitable. And maybe the ash'll also be very good crop fertilizer and the Varshikaris can migrate there, build small huts from their cherry trees and become farmers.

Just a suggestion.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

AlexRose wrote:I guess two diagonal spaces as well, yes?
the spreading area is a square. So 4 diagonal spaces.
Juniper Onyx wrote:Would rain stop a forest fire though?

If it doesn't, maybe it could be worked on.
No it does not.

And if you want to have it changed, do it on your own. Why should we change anything at the new system that instandly created a 5 sites flame topic?

I doubt there will be to much changings in the closer future anyway since the main part of the developer got highly demotivated from the way the players get along with new developments and the desicions of the staff.

Some say it was unfair. Hell, is it fair that every, really every development, unimportaint what it is, casts up allways the ranting of the players? It is fair to blame the developers for the work they did in their free time this way?

For tomorrow it was planned by one of our server developers to spend a day in searching some server bugs. You know the random crashes and stuff. That plan is droped. Developer unmotivated by the plain crap that was posted in the general board.

And why? The richest character ingame lost the furniture of a building. Its not that the expensive part of the building was destroyed. nearly all walls are fine and the tiles are undamaged.
And there for such a post was started. That droped the motivation of all developers to zero.

Really great.

If you want changings. Find developers who do those changings.

We need scripters with good previous knowledge in programming.
AlexRose wrote:Maybe the CO2 emissions from burning the trees will cause global warming and Varshikar will become uninhabitable. And maybe the ash'll also be very good crop fertilizer and the Varshikaris can migrate there, build small huts from their cherry trees and become farmers.

Just a suggestion.
Is it fun to post that crap?
Siltaris

Post by Siltaris »

In my opinion there is a huge gap between the perception and expectation of the developers and the perception and expectations of the Players in terms of the behaviour of the other party.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Siltaris wrote:In my opinion there is a huge gap between the perception and expectation of the developers and the perception and expectations of the Players in terms of the behaviour of the other party.
You see here the signing of PO Midrusio
Christiana

Post by Christiana »

i think the feature is good, but the incendiaries who grow as mushrooms are not so good....
Athian

Post by Athian »

Do magical fire and fire flame and ice flame have the same property? or is it to remain just camp fires?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Athian wrote:Do magical fire and fire flame
yes
Athian wrote:ice flame
no
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Hasn't anyone considered that now we can have arsonists? I mean, we have pvp problem solving issues already, I don't know that its such a great addition at the moment...
Athian

Post by Athian »

<_< ...i think it's fine...

the probability is low after all. The most major issue i think would be people coming into towns and such while its members are away and lighting 'phantom fires' during periods of time when they know for sure they won't get caught. If this is done without rp reasoning then for sure there could be arsonists or even OOC disputes getting out of hand (for example one guild not liking another guild and burning down there guild house and or one player not liking another and burning down there home Anonymously).

it will be up to the seers to keep an eye on these things however. as the staff iimplimented the feature it must then be there responsiblity to keep an eye on it. especially with the 'Fresh from runscape and don't feel like cooperating' crowd

Of course free city walls and doors for the other towns might help :wink:
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Reading the building rules, I see lennier won't count "phantom fires" as permanent so, ok. Works for me.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Nitram wrote:
Athian wrote:Do magical fire and fire flame
yes
Athian wrote:ice flame
no
Does KEL RA and KEL RA QWAN or just ANTH RA IRA QWAN?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I was testing this new feature by simply using a camp fire from logs, but nothing as happened. I wonder why? ( I'm trying it on a tree, not a house )
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

okay, since you ignore my request over pm i have to write here, what is really sad. but not my problem when you simply ignore the messages send in privacy:

The richest character ingame
this is a lie, and you know that it is a lie. Could you please avoid lieing so bold about my chars? i mean...what shall we think of a staff member who lies that easily without getting red? you should be a person of trust in this game, and not someone spreading stuff which is simply not true.
I hope that won't happen again. Try to speak the truth in the next time. thanks.

btw. maybe next time you avoid then doing such stuff which will lead to trouble and demotivation of the staff. it is not my problem if you behave unfair and commit injustice and can't endure the arguements caused by that. as you can see in the thread, i am not the only one believing you did wrong. but of course you are blind for the opinion of players. don't give me or us the fault for your demotivation. that is a problem housemade by martin and vilarion.

bye

oh, i think it is a great plus that the map of those houses and towns destroyed throug fires set by some passbyers will be redone without the need to repair. this may avoid having one house after the other burning down cause of those who can't use a feature like this properly.
Last edited by Samantha Meryadeles on Thu May 17, 2007 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Alright *g*
I wrote most of the script, so here you go:

1. The fire expands over 3(!) fields.
2. only(!) camp fires have this property so far.
3. The probabilty of a campfire to grow wild is 1% as of yet.
4. Every flame can only extend once(!)
5. The change of an item to catch fire if burnable is 25% when a flame is extending.
martin

Post by martin »

Okay, here follow some technical details (Nitram wasn't fully aware of the whole thing, therefore some of his statements contain slightly incorrect data):
Imagine you have the following situation:

Code: Select all

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| |B| | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | |B| |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | |F| | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|B| | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | |B| | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
F means "Fire" and B means "Burnable item", such as a tree, grass, a table or whatever.

There is a 1% chance that a campfire (nothing else!) can put objects within a radius of 3 fields (as in my picture) on fire. For all burnable objects, there is a 25% chance that they actually start burning, so in this case, probably one of the objects would be put on fire after 30 seconds. We'd then have, for example:

Code: Select all

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| |B| | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | |B| |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | |F| | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|B| | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | |F| | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
After another 30 seconds (1 minute in total), this new fire as a chance to spread onto other objects within a radius of 3 fields and so on.

Doors are not burnable because we thought that it would be unfair to make doors, walls and so on burnable.

Floor is not burnable because we only burn items, not tiles.

Martin
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

if somebody makes a fire below a kettle, does that count as a campfire?

if yes, would it be possible to script, that a kettle alterates a fire on the same tile, so that it cant spread?

it does not seem logical to me, that one should/could not cook in houses, without burning them down.

did i understand that right, that fire in furnaces, glasovens, smokeovens and bakinghouses do not spread?

do palmtrees burn?
if yes, how can one eliminate palmtrees near houses?

do hedges burn?

korm
(one frightened houseowner)
martin

Post by martin »

Korm Kormsen wrote:if somebody makes a fire below a kettle, does that count as a campfire?
Yes.
if yes, would it be possible to script, that a kettle alterates a fire on the same tile, so that it cant spread?
Why?
did i understand that right, that fire in furnaces, glasovens, smokeovens and bakinghouses do not spread?
Yes.
do palmtrees burn?
if yes, how can one eliminate palmtrees near houses?
Yes.
I don't know, maybe ask a GM?
do hedges burn?
Yes.

Martin
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Yes.

Zitat:

Why?
because
it does not seem logical to me, that one should/could not cook in houses, without burning them down.
do you think it right, that everybody leaves his house, and makes a fire in the meadow, to cook his meals?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think creating lit/unlit fireplace for people to cook without burning down their house is a good idea, makes the fireplace useful.
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

mm... maybe make it only unattended campfire that capable to spread to other places? so... if no one on the tile around the campfire then the random chance for the fire to spread starts....
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

ogerawa wrote:mm... maybe make it only unattended campfire that capable to spread to other places? so... if no one on the tile around the campfire then the random chance for the fire to spread starts....
Nope. You will have to actually pay attention to the fire. There will not be an auto-attend feature. :-)