Why do you play?

Introduce yourself to the community and discuss about topics of general interest to the community. No spam, please! / Stell dich der Community vor und diskutiere über Themen von allgemeinem Interesse der Community. Kein Spam bitte!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Why do you play?

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Hello community.

I wanted to reply to the previous post here as soon as I was at home and got access to a proper PC again, but now it's gone, so I'll just start a new thread, as I think that it was a very good idea. Content of the previous one was to say WHY you logged in that day or why you log in in general (at least that's how I understood it). I cannot quote the old thread, so I'll just give an example for myself:

I usually log in to Illarion whenever I am at home. Since I understand the role of a "town-leader-character/player" as something that is meant to offer and provide rp-opportunities (amongst other tasks), I usually place Katharina in a public spot (yes, it's the Cadomyrian market most of the times), if I have to study at home/work at my desk/watch a series or play another game on my second screen while nobody else is online in Illarion. I am doing that to offer people a hot spot for RP, if they want it, idling IG until I see somebody appearing on my screen. If that happens, I take a break from my studying/whatever I am doing, to get into the rp. It happend that I got around 4 hours of rp through that and then just continued my studies afterwards or the next day. Other days are quiet and so I just have Kat idling in the middle of the town while working on my stuff/watching a series/playing something else on my second screen (until action in Illarion, ofc). Yes, that way it sometimes happen that I am on the toilet/in the kitchen when somebody approaches her (even thought that does not happen often), which I am sorry for then. But usually I meet like 1-2 chars per day that way. Besides this char-parking, I am also looking actively for rp when there are chars online and I am not busy with something else IRL at that time. Even though, I admit that actively searching for rp is difficult, since I usually have no clue where to find the chars/there is no legit IC-reason for my char to look in the most likely places. It would not feel very immersive for Katharina to check (i.e.) the dragon lair, even if I knew that people are around that place oocly.

As you can see, I am usually logging to rp/create an rp-spot. Personally, I do not like the crafting system enough to spend much time on it, Katharina is not exactly rich that way (compared to other chars), but that's fine. Some chars are coming to her repeatedly, so I guess it's fullfilling its purpose.

I want to point out that I do not try to steal or copy any idea of the previous, now deleted post, but that I thought it to be a good idea, even if I couldnt reply in time before it got removed. Communication like that and giving feedback like that is very important to keep people happy/give them the opportunity to address their ideas. We all should think about what makes the game precious to each of us and stick to that, sharing it with people. Maybe we will find some solutions together that way.
Achae Eanstray

Re: Why do you play?

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Thank you for replying, I mistakenly removed thinking there was a lack of interest. I'm glad to hear from you. :D
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

I wasn't at home this weekend and did not want to type on my phone/tiny laptop. :P
TiaSarah

Post by TiaSarah »

Not today, but yesterday. I'd had a very long day, surrounded by people who send my anxiety through the roof. I was exhausted and stressed out. The online list showed two players that I really enjoy the company of, so I got on to see if I could find them and unwind. I play to relax.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

I've been meandering on this question for a couple of days now, i think i have an answer

Illa lets me express a creative side of myself that i wouldn't get from just writing. There's a good deal of character building, improvisation and quick wittedness that comes with creating a good Illa char (and a good RP char in general)

When i have the urge to create something, i log into illa and let the story flow from there. Sometimes i have to actively create, and sometimes i can simply let things progress and move along in the stream and offer my input that way. But either is fine with me. I'm not particularly interested in levels, or skill points when i play Illa because it isn't, has never really been, and shouldn't be the focus. My ideal session of Illarion is either a traditional campfire scene with character/relationship development, plot advancement or sometimes just general banter, or a movement through set pieces with obstacles to face in character, or even a mixture of the two.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I may add onto this because I have multiple reasons for playing Illarion and continue to play. I look on each character as a book. They have a story, some with extensive backgrounds that may not all be told, but they all have room to add onto the story by the interactions with others/roleplay. The only ones with no added room are the ones the story has ended or as I think of it, the last page in the book with a big The End. I play Illarion for different characters to 1. Add to the story, 2. Increase the skill of the character (which also adds to the story), 3. The excitement when meeting another character and not knowing what will be said or done. 4. The graphic display as my character moves through the game and how they look which is why I would never be good in a text RP...too boring.

I don't make an effort to be "great" at roleplay but simply try to interact with the environment of the character. The only time I look back and am upset with myself is when I miss something which can happen in a crowd hence my favorite times are one-on-one roleplay.

Why do I continue to play...Illarion is a one of a kind game and allows a lot of creative license. It is the players that make it so interesting and I am very happy to meet their characters in game!