Martin (And the rest of you who just dont get sticky's.....)

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

The Returner

Martin (And the rest of you who just dont get sticky's.....)

Post by The Returner »

Regeln für das Graphik-board: (for the english version just scroll down)

1) Es sollte allgemein übliches, akzeptiertes Sozialverhalten an den Tag gelegt werden (keine Beschimpfungen und dergleichen mehr).
2) Sollte eine vorgeschlagene Graphik aus irgendwelchen Gründen nicht genügend Anklang finden, ist das lange kein Grund, den Urheber dieser Graphik lächerlich zu machen oder sonstwie zu verunglimpfen.
3) Kleinere Graphiken koennen, als gif, jpg oder png, durchaus am board selbst gepostet werden. Größere Graphiken sollten auf einen anderen webspace gestellt und hier nur verlinkt werden, wobei dieselben Formatvorgaben gelten. Vorsicht: jedes Bild muss als bmp (oder einem äquivalenten Format) vorliegen, zwar nicht im Netz, aber jedenfalls beim Erschaffer.
4) Die Graphik-FAQ ist zu beachten!
5) Vergesst euren Hausverstand nicht gänzlich.

Rules for the graphics-board:

1) Please show usual, generally accepted social behaviour (no harassment and so on).
2) If you, for any reason given, do not like a proposed graphic don't take this as a reason to be rude, make fun of the artist etc.; stay nice.
3) Small graphics can be posted inside of a thread as long as they have a suitable format (gif, jpg, png). Bigger graphics should be uploaded to a webspace and the link should be published here (again, gif, jpg or png). Please note that you should always have a bmp of the graphic on your local harddisk!
4) Whatever you do, follow the graphic-FAQ.
5) Don't forget about your wits.

Oh yes, and i do expect to be flamed, so please, go ahead, flame away. As if it doesent prove the point of this thread further ;) *cough* Martin *cough*
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

I agree with returner!!! Ya got one on yourside...
martin

Post by martin »

I obviously miss the point.

Martin
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

The Point, my little austrian grumpy friend, is that you have to much brass, and not enough padding.

If i must stress, AGAIN, the uselessness of this forum, which you so gladly troll and call down upon others, i will scream......so i will do it now

*screams*

:evil:
*returns*

Being an active member of many graphics sites, I have to say something...

Martin, your worse then some of the hardenest, badassed, banned flamers i've had to dispatch of personally. You have a graphics forum, why? solely to call down upon others.....

Do you really have such a superiority complex?

All it is with you is "Oh i can do that..." "It dont take much for that..." "Doesent fit the game..." "Have you tried music?, its easier"

When yourself, dont show examples of your own work, the new graphics we so wait from you, or otherwise HELP really in any way.

The point is, my little austrian grumpy cliff diving friend, is....

Your not on "German Graphic Artists Idol" mr. Martin Cowel.
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

People donate sounds/graphics to Martin simply because they want to help. And a lot of the donations are crap. Martin has to turn them down and maybe he can't speak english very well and that is why he sounds mean.
Moskher Heszche
Location: You can never be too stupid or too pretty to be a puppet king.

Post by Moskher Heszche »

I don't actually find Martin all that insulting, really. His posts are usually short and to the point, and his reasoning is often correct. Most of the time, it's one quick comment. When it's something longer, usually the piece is especially terrible.

At least he doesn't start entirely new threads to flame people. *ahem*

Maybe it's just me, but I have to hold myself back sometimes from putting Martin to shame in making fun of some of the pieces.

Hell, when he did that screenshot bit a while back with the gigantic potion, it was hilarious!

It's refreshing that he doesn't give people false hopes and gets it over with. The only time he even goes back to the topic is when people like you flame him for it.

Also, personally, I never found Simon Cowell all that mean either. Those kids needed him to tell it to them straight. The other two judges were just lackeys.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

That would take all of the fun out of reading martin's posts! No way!
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Why do you care if he's so damn mean, when your not even the one submitting gfx?! Nobody is forcing you to read anything, or submit gfx for that matter. Accually, I think Martin's English is better than alot of Americans'.
The Returner wrote: If i must stress, AGAIN, the uselessness of this forum, which you so gladly troll and call down upon others
His forum, his rules. You don't like them, leave. Just because Martin thinks your gfx are useless doesn't mean he hates you (well I couldn't blame him if he did), yeesh don't take it so damn personal. Martin is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get. :wink:
Dair Essel

Post by Dair Essel »

If your like me and cant make any graphics then you shouldnt insult any graphics that show up.

But Martin did design many of the graphics, so he is good at it, he has every right to voice his opinion because he can make these types of graphics and the ones he tells off are the ones of low quality.

So let him who knows this kind of stuff say what he wants about the graphics, the only problem is you get people that dont know how to make this stuff starting to put down things. If you dont have the skill dont put down those that do even if they are bad. But if you do have the skill then you can tell people "No you cant do graphics very well, and the ones you do start to hurt my eyes" Or something to that point.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Dair Essel wrote:If your like me and cant make any graphics then you shouldnt insult any graphics that show up.

But Martin did design many of the graphics, so he is good at it, he has every right to voice his opinion because he can make these types of graphics and the ones he tells off are the ones of low quality.

So let him who knows this kind of stuff say what he wants about the graphics, the only problem is you get people that dont know how to make this stuff starting to put down things. If you dont have the skill dont put down those that do even if they are bad. But if you do have the skill then you can tell people "No you cant do graphics very well, and the ones you do start to hurt my eyes" Or something to that point.

And yes,why dont we ruin the graphics industry more, so people like me (who are professionals in 3d graphics and animation) Cant get jobs, very cheeky :roll:

If i walked up to you and said "no,you cant walk properly, it doesent suit this sidewalk" while you couldent see the sidewalk your even walking on, what would you think?
Dair Essel

Post by Dair Essel »

And yes,why dont we ruin the graphics industry more, so people like me (who are professionals in 3d graphics and animation) Cant get jobs, very cheeky
Nothing in my statement said anything about ruining the graphics industry. It said to let the people that do know how to do things criticize and those of us that do not shouldnt.
If i walked up to you and said "no,you cant walk properly, it doesent suit this sidewalk" while you couldent see the sidewalk your even walking on, what would you think?
Are you a doctor in walking? Are you an expert on sidewalks? Are you an expert on walking on sidewalks? If not shutup because that was a completly pointless thing to ask. Because there are no people who are "good" at walking on sidewalks. There are good people in computer graphics.

If I was a nascar driver and I told some young wannabe that they cant drive very well. Then it would hold context because I would be a professional.

So your above statement was completly stupid because until you find me somebody who is "good" at walking on sidewalks, you should just stop trying to make completly stupid and pointless questions
Yoruhm

Post by Yoruhm »

@returner: As a professionell u should know: if the art director of a design studio says"ur style doesnt fit in our concept" u r out. he/she decides about the styles that r used and the graphics that r needed.
If i develop a website and my boss says it doesnt fit in the ci (corporate identity) i have to change it.

Sorry, but your attitude isnt very professionally

PS: and my english isnt very good :wink:
Caranthir the great

Post by Caranthir the great »

Oh, I agree that Martin has to do something to his attitude.
I'm really disappointed that he hasn't said something like:

"I've pissed patterns on snow that look more coherent than this. "
;)
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Prats, all of you.

Keep submitting graphics to martin, waste of time that could better be spent in game.
Algerond Braunrock

@ the starter of the topic

Post by Algerond Braunrock »

Didn't you want to stop insulting? If i read right, this was one of your points.

Well... if you want others to stop, you shalt stop it yourself. GRAP YOUR OWN NOSE.

Well. I think the graphics, that are in illarion, are quite good. And so everybody can see martins work. He doesnt have to show them aggain in the forum.

Exucuse me, but i think, that you are just a little bit sad, becuase one of your graphics got a bad reputation by martin and now try to "clean up with him". And if you are such a good graphic creator, you could persent some of you?....

Thank you for listening

Excuse my bad english.
Dair Essel

Post by Dair Essel »

You said its a waste of time that could be better spent in game. Well Nilo submits graphics and he is in the game more than I am.

Also you just insulted so dont complain if martin does

@ Algerond, I agree completly
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

I don't reall care much if martin brought down any of my graphics in the past.

Why dont I present some?

Because, I have time spent on important things, like sealing deals with character creation teams ect who want to use most of my fantasy accesories, so if i can get paid for it, why would i send a bunch of professional models to martin,where they will be rejected anyways? :roll:

I'm a hyper-realist and Sci-Fi artist, my only fantasy style stuff is weapons, which i've posted before, and both times got rejected, thus, i do not post my work for illarion anymore.

The point is, graphics (that are generally good) Are rejected, for stupid reasons, which we're not even told in detail about.

I've seen opensource graphic jobs that run better then this forum.

By the way, this is my gallery:

http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.ez?Who=seansan2
martin

Post by martin »

The Returner wrote:Keep submitting graphics to martin, waste of time that could better be spent in game.
How right you are.
Try it with sounds, as proposed earlier.

The thing is: If I sound mean, I probably intended to sound like that. There is no need to be a smiling fool telling others how good their graphics are if they aren't. If you (or someone else; I don't recall seeing anything of you) produce a piece of shit I'll call it a piece of shit on my board. What else should I say? Most of the time, things are shitty because the creators did not read my FAQ or did not have a look at how this would look like in the game. What should I tell them? Honestly. "You are too stupid"? "Try again when you had your eye-surgery"? "I like it when pre-kindergarden kids play with their parents graphic programs"?

So, simply get lost or something. However, I even found this thread funny.

Martin
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Just remember martin, it doesent take alot to texture a box with bricks and call it a wall, nor to take a poser dork and give him lots of hair and slap a few textures likely punked from DAZ and call it a human ;)

It takes four word sentences martin, not "I'm god of the board, go away, i own all graphics, muaha"

its really so hard to say

"Look at the faq"

"Doesent fit the style"

or

"try music instead"

instead of BSing them with your holier then thow attitude.

Well. I think the graphics, that are in illarion, are quite good. And so everybody can see martins work. He doesnt have to show them aggain in the forum.
Actually, if he wants graphics to make sense to his so called "Style" he kinda does, mate.
Dair Essel

Post by Dair Essel »

@Returner If your oh so skillful in making of graphics you do the things better than martin, until then stop your bitching and let martin criticize those things that arent up to certain standards.

@Martin agree with your philosphy, no need to sugar coat thing if they are bad just tell them straight up
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Oh yes, certain standards.

I will bitch, do you know why I will bitch?

Here is why I will bitch....

THERE ARE NO CERTAIN STANDARDS!

wheres the graphics martins comparing the posted ones to? In game, hardly, 80% of the posted graphics would be in game by now. That is, if martin wasent such a whiney little artist.

Martins got a glory complex, he wants it all for himself or summat, probably because he thinks hes god of the graphics world because he owns poser and maybe a few other moderatly priced moddelling software. (Or maybe 11k software like other people on this forum download to show off)
martin

Post by martin »

The Returner wrote:Just remember martin, it doesent take alot to texture a box with bricks and call it a wall, nor to take a poser dork and give him lots of hair and slap a few textures likely punked from DAZ and call it a human ;)
I totally agree. This is why there are a lot of new graphics as substitution for these bad ones (which were created by me when I had nearly no knowledge of 3D-things).

Let me add two more things:

1) I visited your gallery and looked for the gfx you posted here. Not bad for an absolute beginner. But you're obviously lacking some basic skills, mostly your models are too simplistic, have the wrong dimensions (flat katanas?), the lightining is mostly very bad, and the most important thing is: You did neither understand UV(W)-coordinates nor texturing at all. This makes your graphics look childish. Take this as a hint how to get better: Take a tutorial about mapping bitmaps to 3d-objects, learn about UVW-coordinates, learn to texture your objects, learn to create them at the correct dimensions and try to find out something about lightning.
2) You accuse me of not accepting anything posted here. This is not true, and I can prove it: There are some people who showed that they are skilled and willing to learn.
3) Just be critical towards yourself and the work you do.

Martin
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Martin, if my mappings are so bad, and my weapons so flat (on a render, AFTER deliberatly making them that way) Why did I just make 3000$ while you make nothing at all?

Why do Lightwave and Maya people ask me for light setups? (oh yes, professionals as well)

I'f i'm really so new (after 5yrs of experience) Quite simply, why am I making money for my work, while your working on a free RPG bitching about other peoples'?
martin

Post by martin »

The Returner wrote:Martin, if my mappings are so bad, and my weapons so flat (on a render, AFTER deliberatly making them that way) Why did I just make 3000$ while you make nothing at all?
Despite popular believe, money is not a good measure for quality. All I can tell you is: Look at your gallery and look at the textures. They are horribly mixed up as if you simply didn't know how to do it right. Maybe it was intended? I don't know.
I am not a professional. This is just my hobby, I am soldier currently and a theoretical physicist the rest of the time. But I can tell you: I saw a lot of damn good work by both, amateurs and professionals. And most of them looked better than your childish gallery. No matter how much money you made -- I know people who earned 150000 euro (about 170000$) for a bad website in plain (basic) html without any layout -- everyone familiar with 3d-graphics will see that your images were produced from badly textured objects.
Why do Lightwave and Maya people ask me for light setups? (oh yes, professionals as well)
Because they are newbies and obviously don't know someone else to ask. You're the last person I'd think of asking for help. (Yes, I asked for help a lot of times, but only skilled people, REAL professionals, not pseudo-pros like you, who barely can map a cube)

I'f i'm really so new (after 5yrs of experience) Quite simply, why am I making money for my work, while your working on a free RPG bitching about other peoples'?
You should have learned about lightning and texturing in the beginning. A little late now.
Money rules the world, huh? Why are you bitching around here instead of making millions of $$$ somewhere out there? Maybe this is "creative": 3D-graphics by amateurs. I saw highly appreciated paintings by orangutans as well, so, why not...?

Martin, just a freebie-worker
Nartak Ironmaster

Post by Nartak Ironmaster »

Well, seriously...

Sean is acting like a little snobish child...
Moskher Heszche
Location: You can never be too stupid or too pretty to be a puppet king.

Post by Moskher Heszche »

$3000!!!? Oh my god! You could almost afford a broken down jalopy with that kind of cash! Good work! I'm quite impressed!

Edited to add: Aren't you Canadian, Returner? That $3000 dollars is what now in Americana, considering exchange rate?
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

around 2k-2.5k usd.

Okay. I have made a cube for you, martin. *fg*

http://www.lasukie.raxxisbak.com/Upload ... usewip.jpg
Dair Essel

Post by Dair Essel »

Where is the cube?
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I was wondering too. And the room isn't the cube, so what is?
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Technicly, the room is a cube.

I will explain why.

First, a cube was created with rectangular dimensions ("the cube")

Then, it was edited and had faces cut, inset, extruded,bevelled, textured, switched ect

Then it was LIGHTED

And so, that is how the cube came to be...

sorry you missed the original cube, but he had to grow up ;)

PS:

Theres no UVW maps used, besides the UVW mapping ultility inside my program