Archaic English

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Brendan Mason

Archaic English

Post by Brendan Mason »

Belannaer grabs a papyrus and a feather pen to write. He starts to write:

To skilled mages only.
Greetings my friend(s) mages! I am in need of thy help,
to teach me in magic. I await thy reply.

Thanks,

Lord Belannaer.

Belannaer finishes his letter, grabs a hammer and a nail. Then he hammers the letter on the wall in the main path of Troll's Bane.[/i]

If players insist on using the archaic tongue, then I must impeach them to use correct grammar when doing so. The above post is just an example of one such posters inability to do so.

*The word thy, was used instead of thine
He used very little archaic and mixed it in not-too-seamlessly with modern language..this is an eyesore

*If you insist on using archaic then at least do some research before going about speaking like a complete and utter twit.

*If you cant be bothered...then dont use it.

*Use this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ar ... quivalents

Brendan
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Though art moaning biach :twisted:
Athian

Post by Athian »

it's thou loser, thou hehe :roll:
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

hehe damn, see that why i dont bother with it :oops:

thou..
thou..

yeah that sounds better
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

I use it a bit since we are reading BORING puritan books in my Honors English class.
Mishrack

Post by Mishrack »

I do remember having posted one or two identical topics. Ever heard of plagiarism, Mr Mason? :lol:
Jori
Location: How do I know? Maybe I'm not where I htink I am. Or maybe I'm somewhere I think I'm not...

Post by Jori »

Ever heard of a thing called not reading every single post on the forums? :roll:
Trager

Post by Trager »

Hmm.. You mean all 10 million posts that are probably here by now? Heh... that's where "free time" to "real world responsibility" ratios come into play.. heh.. I pretty much give myself five minutes to find something, and if I don't, I start a new topic on the matter...

(can't get over how people gripe at someone starting a new topic for something, when it may have just been mentioned once, as an off topic comment to something entirely different, and from years ago)

(Not directed at you J, just speaking in general... especially since server is down/froze, and don't really have anything else to do at the moment)
¿Unknown?

Post by ¿Unknown? »

Thank you Aristeaus, Athian and Deies for that Spamalisious tidbit. Now back to the topic.

Although Mishrack has stated this before I dont think it is plagiarism although i think it was meant as a joke hence the smiley.

Brendan is right you shouldnt use that if you dont know how, I have seen plenty of examples with several players. Please from now on use Brendans link if you even chose to speak like this.
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

Who cares? I really don't care if people can't use archiac language very well. Occasionally my characters speak in archaic, but I am not going to spend time to learn it ooc just for this game, (which is all illarion is). Just like my characters\s cannot speak proper german, but I am not going to learn it ooc because I don't have time to learn it.
Gurik Elvenstar

Post by Gurik Elvenstar »

It really doesnt matter if you dont like how they use archiac language dont read the post simple as that i dont mean to be rude or anything but come on? :roll:
Nyntar Beliothiel

Re: Archaic English

Post by Nyntar Beliothiel »

Brendan Mason wrote:If players insist on using the archaic tongue, then I must impeach them to use correct grammar when doing so. The above post is just an example of one such posters inability to do so.
Dear Mr. Mason,

In your post concerning the use of archaic English in the game as well as in the forums you reprimanded those who speak with improper grammar, while doing so yourself in the very same sentence. You used the word "impeach", meaning to bring an accusation against someone, in most cases a public official, when I feel you meant to use the word "beseech", which means to implore or demand, which is how you used the word "impeach" in this instance. Of course, I could be wrong but after checking all available alternate definitions of the word impeach in my humble dictionary, I don't feel that I am. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

I stand corrected. Dont bloody well expect it to happen again, though...
Mishrack

Post by Mishrack »

It really doesnt matter if you dont like how they use archiac language dont read the post simple as that i dont mean to be rude or anything but come on?
first off, it hurts the eyes.
Secondly, people showing off with things they know nothing about is very annoying.
Thirdly, People who refuse to use proper regular english grammar get reprimanded aswell.
Finally, If you just can't be arsed with at least figuring out the basics of it, then do not boast you lazyness to everyone by making such blatant mistakes. Learn it and use it if you will, or just dont bother.
Valdonyr Alkidor

Post by Valdonyr Alkidor »

ok ok mishrack we got your point.. so we did yours mr. brendan... its not the case to talk about it in general ... just correct the person who did it... when it was i who did the mistake, mishrack corrected me and i stopped, now correct Belannaer, that's all... discussing it here is useless... because only correcting him (belannaer) will make him stop.

Val
Vindigan

Post by Vindigan »

Valdonyr Alkidor wrote:... discussing it here is useless...
Is it realy useless? i'm sure people will read this and think not to use that kind of language. Most people use it on the RPG board anyway, so if you correct them there, it will just mess the topic up.
Mishrack

Post by Mishrack »

I know I've personally fathered two topics on the matter. One even going as far as a mini tutorial in the use of archaic form. So far - absolutely no effect. People still write things that are about as correct as "I wanted you are the was here" and whatnot.
paul laffing
Location: the place where only completely serious people are allowed

Re: Archaic English

Post by paul laffing »

Nyntar Beliothiel wrote: In your post concerning the use of archaic English in the game as well as in the forums you reprimanded those who speak with improper grammar, while doing so yourself in the very same sentence...
Ah, but according to my dictionary, you have made mistakes yourself. Grammar has to do with sentence structure and how words form sentences, not with sentence meanings or vocabulary choices. So...

I do recall Mishrack's post on this thing, so don't feel forgotten. I think archaic english shouldn't be used because it is in the history of this world, not Illarion. Unless you a way to explain your use of the words... and even then, no one would understand you.
Valdonyr Alkidor

Post by Valdonyr Alkidor »

Mishrack wrote:I know I've personally fathered two topics on the matter. One even going as far as a mini tutorial in the use of archaic form. So far - absolutely no effect. People still write things that are about as correct as "I wanted you are the was here" and whatnot.
after you corrected me mishrack... i never wrote archaic anymore... did i?
¿Unknown?

Post by ¿Unknown? »

Valdonyr....you....do...realize......that...one...period...would....be....enough....
Nyntar Beliothiel

I'm sorry to bring this piece of information to your attention, Paul, but one of the well known definitions of the world "grammar" is "The art of speaking or writing with correctness or according to established usage." which includes the use of proper words within the sentence. If the usage of a single incorrect word makes a sentence become nonsense then that would be considered poor grammar. This is trivial however.

There is something that should concern you much more than something such as an alternate definitions that one may not know off the top of their heads, and that is that there are a large number of forum members who seem to make their views known to the world without even considering if they are worthy of being said, are just a complete waste of time for all individuals involved, or even understandable to those who have to try and decipher their ramblings created by complete lack of punctuation.

If you read through this single thread you will notice something that you should find appalling upon your first reading, making you have to read it once more just to be sure you actually understood what this person has said, and this person is Grant Herion. Let us sit back and admire what he has just told us.
Grant Herion wrote:Who cares? I really don't care if people can't use archiac language very well. Occasionally my characters speak in archaic, but I am not going to spend time to learn it ooc just for this game, (which is all illarion is). Just like my characters\s cannot speak proper german, but I am not going to learn it ooc because I don't have time to learn it.
Now that I have your full attention, let us dissect what he is relating to us concerning his roleplaying abilities. He has no understanding of the meaning of roleplay. There, now that this much is clear to us all, let us delve into they ‘why’ of the matter. Grant has just admitted for reasons beyond comprehension that he turns his character’s role off and on when he so desires, dipping into the realm of fantasy only when it suits his mood. If his character speaks in Archaic English, wonderful. If he is not ready to take such a journey of imagination then we can let this be, not everyone is ready for such a strenuous undertaking. This is, as he says, only a game. Now, it is a game of roleplay and therefore should be treated as such. Not just with the person who is acting out their character in mind but with all those around in mind as well. If one character is absentmindedly speaking in many different dialects for no reason other than personal enjoyment, i.e. Their character has no roleplaying reason to be doing so (nothing in their characters past has led them to be able to do such a thing), they are destroying the atmosphere others have worked so hard to create around themselves.

It is astonishing to me that someone who openly admits that they take little part in actively playing the role they have supposedly created for their character is allowed to play this game that is supposedly regarded as residing in the higher echelons of the online roleplaying world. I’ve noticed on numerous occasions that a few players run mindlessly around without any regard to their character’s role, or changing their character’s role on a whim in order to advance their personal popularity or gain within, yes, the game. When confronted the excuse that is most widely used is just what Grant Herion pointed out, this is just a game. Now this should set off some alarm in everyone’s head upon hearing such a response that they are dealing with someone with no concept of how to roleplay as befitting this particular game. Of course it’s a game, but it is a game that is meant to be treated with some dignity and respect. If you cannot grasp the concept of roleplaying, which there are many who cannot, then why stay? Wouldn’t you enjoy finding another game where you can act more as you wish to without being a nuisance to those of us who do wish to roleplay? To step out of reality for a brief amount of time and live through our characters in a way we couldn’t possibly do in our natural bodies but can in this fantasy world. I understand that they did pass the application process, but there should be another, more in depth look at each player once they are in the game to see if they can put their definitions of roleplay that they provided in the application to use within the game. I know that many cannot, or even worse, choose not to. These people, in my mind, should be asked to leave so that the rest of us may enjoy this game as it was meant to be, as a true roleplaying game. Not one where we are forced to deal daily with inconsiderate, and on average, younger gamers who haven’t yet grasped the meaning of roleplaying. That is not to say that all young gamers should be forced to leave, much to the contrary, if they have the desire to roleplay and can actually do so within reason, more power to them, just as older and long time players of this game should not be absolved from the same misdeeds regarding lack of roleplay because they have been here for many months or years.

I apologize for this long tirade and using Grant Herion as an example, but he provided himself for such a use when he spoke his mind, and this is one of my pet peeves. When someone admits they are not mature enough to act as they should in this environment, they are not removed for the betterment of the ones who are. Another complaint that is almost more frustrating, and you all know it very well, is when people don’t use punctuation in their posts. People, use punctuation so we can follow your words and assign some semblance of meaning to them! Please!

As for the original purpose of this topic, I agree whole-heartedly with Brendan Mason. If you cannot use Archaic English properly then do not use it at all until you are able to, unless of course you are playing the role of someone who has some flaw in his or her way of speaking. This holds true for all manners of speaking, not only Archaic English. If your character has no reason to be speaking anything other than their native language (German and English being the exceptions as this is a German/English game), they shouldn’t unless a reason arises for them to attempt to do so in game. I remember incidents in the past where some of the younger players were in the game speaking as their characters and not ooc, in languages they were learning while in middle or high school. This is extremely disruptive to game play. These characters would have had to have either traveled to some foreign lands to learn some new language or met some traveler from these distant lands, yet when asked if any of this had happened, of course not. But they did fall back to the predictable response, “It’s just a game.” It is not, however, just a game. It is a roleplaying game.
Maktan Hardtooth.

Post by Maktan Hardtooth. »

@Nyntar Beliothiel Wow! that is the longest post I have seen yet!
@ all I agree with Nyntar that a person must choose ONE and only one dialect, Changing dialects whenever a person feels like is unnerving, and I do believe that if a person us ethat specific dialect, that they at least should be somewhat knowledgeable in the grammar in it, also they should not use words that they do not know.
Viola Thistle

Post by Viola Thistle »

I've always liked Caranthir's subtle dialect! Great dwarf speach!!

vivi
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

Nyntar- Wow, I am glad you spent so much time trying to make me look a piss poor roleplayer. Perhaps I should be banned from this game because of your post? After all, that is what you want when you made that post right? To get me banned? Your funny, and I am glad you think we should all learn perfect archiac and german for this game, because it makes me laugh.
Anyways, I cannot really argue with someone who isn't ingame yet, so I won't waste anymore board space.

ps - Nice new name Elaralith.
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

It reeks of Elaralith on this topic. Brendan, I can see where you are coming from, however, asking people to not do this anymore is just not possible. Think if you asked everyone who couldn't speak English perfectly to not talk in English. Just about every German player ((and sadly enough, every English player)) would not be able to post. Why not just be kind....and rewind....hehe...sorry, just wanted to say that. And hey...be greatful...they all may be messing up Archaic English, but at least they are not speaking like they do in chat.
Nyntar Beliothiel

You’ve missed the point entirely. In the current town there is a roleplaying reason for each and every player to be able to speak at least some German as well as some English because they are surrounded in the game, in a roleplaying way with each language, unless of course their character has a reason not to or chooses not to. It is natural to learn both and to be able to speak it, obviously one more fluently than the other due to it being the player’s natural language, within this game, because the character is immersed with these two languages on a day to day basis. This is perfectly fine. The problem occurs when players begin to use languages other than these for no roleplaying driven reason. The character should not know any middle eastern languages if they have not learned them and have a story to describe how they have learned them. They should not be able to speak or understand Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, etc, unless there is a reason why this new “foreign” language is in their repertoire of languages able to be spoken. If there is a decent reason for their usage, this is wonderful as it adds another element to their individual story.

Archaic English is in a class offset from these due to it being an ancient form of English, and this game being set in an ancient setting, it fits seamlessly. If the player, however, cannot use this Ancient language in a manner which allows those around them to understand or stay within their own role because the first player is oscillating between modern and Ancient forms of the language then it should not be used by this particular player. If your character speaks an ancient form of English this will truly add to the atmosphere and aid in the roleplaying environment, but only if it is done accurately and consistently. As Arkadia Misella said, if you cannot speak Ancient English then you should definitely not resort to speaking as many do on chat programs with modern slang mixed in. This is rather obvious though and I thought it could go without saying. I would say to use your best judgment in assessing your way of speaking in the game, but that doesn’t work for some people here. There is an unspoken hierarchy of communication within games such as this. The first level being that of current slang, which is unacceptable. Followed by the modern language of choice (English or German in this case) with the best attempt to keep the vocabulary as close to accurate for the time period within the game as possible, meaning to leave out as many current words as possible, such as “gun” and all of these words which would be meaningless in the games timeframe. At the top would be the time accurate language of choice. If you cannot, however, speak this properly, then do what you can do correctly and it is far more enjoyable to interact with you from an other player’s perspective than it is if you are randomly mixing and matching which style of vocabulary and syntax you will be using depending on your mood or the situation.

As for sounding like Elaralith to some of you, you can be assured that I am not the player of Elaralith. Grant Herion, did you even consider your words before responding to my post? It seems not, as you first state you have no need to reply to someone who is not yet within the game, and then go on to accuse me of being someone who is very well known within the game. It’s extremely ironic how after I mention you specifically as having problems maintaining consistency within the game you come back with yet another example of your inability to remain consistent, but this time outside the game. I have no personal vendetta against you or anyone else here, I only used your name because you provided it for me to use with your own words in this topic, and therefore I see no need to add to this post regarding any personal insults which I’m sure could freely fly at this point. If you must know, yes, your accusation of me being Elaralith has more truth to it than me having never set foot in the game, I have played for a few years under many names, none of which is Elaralith however. Now, let’s try to stay on point people and not dismiss the topic at hand entirely, which was and still is very important to everyone within the game and not let this turn into yet another flame war. I excuse myself from this conversation unless further points regarding my views are questioned, or more are drawn out of me in response to other players views on the matter.
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

well..just to let you know....I have no desire to spend that long reading a long winded post. Shorten them up El darling....we all know you know how to do that.
paul laffing

Post by paul laffing »

Could be Niniane returned. Who knows, but the reason that people equate you to Elaralith is because of your insulting attitude and because you say in many words what can be said in one.
Zerbus

Post by Zerbus »

I stand/I side with Nyntar Beliothiel.

At the moment I do not read the boards frequently, as I had done for the past two years, but I will tell you something.
Seldom I have seen a post that had been written in such a clear, objective and a calm way.
Not many of us do take their time to formulate their thoughts so precisely as Nyntar Beliothiel did.
And throughout the whole written text I had spotted NOT A SINGLE INSULT, Paul Laffing!

Whosever mask Nyntar Beliothiel is, an old player or a young one, he/she deserves more respect from you than you are throwing at him/her now.

And as for Grant Herion... that is... the player of Grant Herion...
You should learn to listen and understand when somebody is "using" your name for an example and why - not regarding if it was a bad example or a good one.
Although it "might" hurt you sometimes keep in mind that being proud when corrected is for fools, but to live by the critics for open minds.

@Maktan - hopefully this wasn't just the longest post that you had seen in your lifetime, but also the longest that you have read. ;-)
paul laffing

Post by paul laffing »

Objective? I could summarize the whole two posts in a sentence. Nyntar believes that you should only speak with Archaic english if you know how, but, if you do know how, it ihelps add to the roleplay. That would be objective, instead of stretching it out. Oh, and Maktan, don't bother reading it. :wink: