In-game Avatar

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Gro'bul

In-game Avatar

Post by Gro'bul »

Basically I was thinking that when you hit f12, the characters avatar would show. Now about keeping these avatars appropriate, instead of creating a personalized seeable character, there would be a part of the client that allows you some options to create your character avatar. First of all, you would have what sex and race you are, perhaps a few face options, hair and colors, mustache and colors, beard and colors, and perhaps things like a wizard hat signifying a wizard or a helmet not covering your face signifying your a worrior. Just an Idea, this way you would have to see the "description" for yourself, and some can look like others, as they do in real life.

Just an idea.
Saurin Talon

Post by Saurin Talon »

Good idea! :wink:
Glorat

Post by Glorat »

but would people really use it? thats the thought. it would be nice if it was there, but you have to consider whether it is worth the effort to implement it, and what kind of result it would produce.
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

When you say hit F12, do you mean the avatar pops up along with the names on the screen? Because i think that would cause a lot of people's computer to slow down and server lag if it had to send these pictures to the persons computer everytime they try to see names. Unless it would remember the pictures in your own comp.

Perhaps a better way to do it is when you click on a person, or shift click or some form of clicking, that man over to the right of your screen would change to a third screen (one being equipment, two being the skills screen) that would have a man simlar to your equipped screen except it showed the avatar for that person.
Caranthir the great

Post by Caranthir the great »

In my opinion, this is worthless. I don't even like the boardavatars, so I can't find any reason why this should be implemented. Gah. The over long prefixes and suffixses are already covering the screen pretty badly (as if: Sir Abcde Fghijklmn of never-neverland the grandwizard (50007)' alright, slight exageration, but you get my point.

What I would rather have, would be a text description of your character (and perhaps of his/her equipment too) when you 'use' him.
paul laffing
Location: the place where only completely serious people are allowed

Post by paul laffing »

I would rather see the other person's equipment. That would be a little more realistic and make roleplay easier, instead of:

"Ooh, you're good with a sword"
"This is a staff, not a sword! Are you blind?"
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

People would use this instead of numbers to describe the appearance of someone, and It would make more sence than "they look like ((34***))", you could say "They have a large beard with grey hair and a helmet", there is just less ooc interference.

@seth: I don't see why not.

@cara: never seen anyone with a rediculously long title, but perhaps a check box in-game by the coordinates to switch the avatar display off/on. I see what you mean, It would probobly be easier, but there are more ways to abuse this and the descriptions would have to be checked by gm's. I think in the long run a avatar "description" is time saving to the gm's.
Caranthir the great

Post by Caranthir the great »

I don't agree. Sure, it could be abused.. but then on the other hand, everything can be abused, I bet my hat for it that some criminal mastermind finds a way to use your avatarsystem to his own advantage.

IMO, only couple of first descriptions from new players would be needed to check, I think that there are many players trustworthy enough to let them to handle their own descriptions. Sure, there would be needed a strict policy regarding what the descriptions would be like, to avoid as much stupidity and good old bullshit as possible.
Azato Menta

Post by Azato Menta »

good idea.
Gronfyn Alkidor

Post by Gronfyn Alkidor »

i think the best idea is
when creating your character, like Gro'bul said, you just choose the way you want him to look like (runescape and Ultima Online do so).
Then, i did not agree that when hitting F12, the player should see all the others characters' view naahh
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

OH! and I to add a little touch it shows a helmet on the person if they have a helmet (one graphic) with a little bit of their skin to maybe tell their race, and a cloak to cover your face somewhat and your shoulders, maybe 1/3 of your face is visible. To my knowlage people didn't wear cloaks with plate helmets on, chain mail may be the exception, so the introduction of capes might be fun.