A bigger map..good or bad

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Kincent Nolatri
Location: Think to your self, does Kincent stay still long enough for a location

A bigger map..good or bad

Post by Kincent Nolatri »

I was think about the bigger map (not say it's comeing any time soon..just stateing what I think)and I'm starting to think it coudl do more harm than good..I mean ever one would leave trollsbane and go to the main land which would be pretty bad rp for and enitre town just to up and leave one day,also you could get pulled away form you friends during the"change" and never see them agian ex: you are a guild leader and you and you guild members get sen to different area's and never see them again or a close friend of you char. just disappear and you never see him.
anyways I made this thread to talk about the postive and negtives of a bigger map.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think they will, just scale up the map, and then add more black space so they can add islands, or more puninsulas and such. I don't think they are accually going to add a "mainland". That map was from quite some time ago I beleive.
Aradhul

Post by Aradhul »

I do hope they make a mainland. There are rp ways to get around the whole entire town leaving. You could just say the Gods decided to cleanse the island of the disasters that the town has caused and relocated them to another place. And that is just one of the possibilities
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Aradhul, so you could say Malachin sent the humans to that part of the mainland, Elara sent the elves to another, Oldra sent the hobbits to another place, Moshran sent the orcs to another place, and the Dwarves ran straight to the mountains of gold, heh. Another reason for leaving would be that Darlok's drought can't be solved and we all bog off to the mainland.

I think if the map was too big the game would not be as good, not yet anyhow. Not enough people seem to play and the map would be almost deserted at times.

However, I do think the current map is getting a little to small.
Elaralith

Post by Elaralith »

@Kincent A bigger map wouldn't really make it so you would never see your friends. It would be the same as right now you just figure out a date and place and meet. Even right now with one island you are walking alone in the town.

I think a bigger map with different places for the different races (as states in the webpage) would be a good thing because it would encourage people with the same Rp similarities to be able to gather. Also it would provide a way for more logical Rp (You have to admit many of the reasons that people come up with that they are in Troll's Bane are ridiculous and no fault of theirs).

The only thing I might suggest for a bigger map would be to give different places unique natural surroundings. So in one place you can only find wood and another there is no wood but lots of iron. But I think the illarion staff have already planned this.

For me, I cannot wait till the promised "bigger map" is created and made playable.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Yes, right now all the races are far too mixed together, just doesn't seem
normal to me. Personally I think this quest split the island apart (figure of speach) and things have been so much fun. Spies, battles, politics, goods, I find it's probobly the most fun I've had in a while in Illarion. Personally I think the scale of the island (how close things are together) should be bigger,, this way you cannot travel to the herb place several times a day.
Rynt

Post by Rynt »

But first we need more players, with more varied races. Right now, humans and elves outnumber almost all the other races.
Elaralith

Post by Elaralith »

Rynt wrote:Right now, humans and elves outnumber almost all the other races.
And why is that bad? In many fantasy scenarios humans outnumber all the other races combined. And there really aren't that many active Elf chars.
Damien

Post by Damien »

As far as i know, a bigger map was planned when a compatible map editor is finished. Many older posts say that.
Crocket

Post by Crocket »

I agree that there is not enough population yet to make a bigger map.When the population gets bigger, then make a bigger map.
Peter Lonin

Post by Peter Lonin »

Population is one thing to consider, but with a larger map it is possable that more people would be drawn into playing since they wouldn't be able to walk across the whole map in under five minutes. Plus a larger map would allow for more rp possablities.
Damien

Post by Damien »

It's planned. It's just a "waiting for some things to be programmed".
Pronon Palmsuger

Post by Pronon Palmsuger »

I dont really favor either side, but population is too low but also right now the races are too close together (not to complain) hobbits Talking and walking next to orcs, Dwarfs being friends with elves. I know i do it as well, im trying to become a bit more halfling like by staying away from orcs. and getting a bit scared when they come by.
paul laffing
Location: the place where only completely serious people are allowed

Post by paul laffing »

In my opinion, Ashburg is one of the best roleplaying orcs. He... roleplays exactly like I would imagine an orc to act.

I bigger map would be better... if we had something like... horses to travel with. Even Darlok's castle is a long distance away.
Ashburg Gragthanggar

Post by Ashburg Gragthanggar »

Yes! Finally some recognition! 8)
Crocket

Post by Crocket »

I saw a female elf the other day who was roleplaying the idea of having to live so close to orcs very well. She kept doing stuff like....
#me moves to the side of the street and watches the orc out of the corner of her eye.
#me backs away from the orc with a look of fear and disgust.

I think she was handling the situation just like a female elf would.

It would be nice if all the races had their own town, but I think a bigger map would have to happen first.

Humans = Trollsbane
Dwarves = Silberbrand
I believe the orcs have a cave now.
Maybe another island for the halflings, elves, and lizardpeople, with regular ferry or boat crossings between islands. Or just make the current island bigger.
Pronon Palmsuger

Post by Pronon Palmsuger »

yes I shutter and stutter when i see an orc

#me shutters as he walks by the orc
Pronon Palmsuger says: Hu...hu...hu..hullo Mr. orc

yeah but something like that would be good with each haveing that city things, The orcs had a cave but it was the Bloodskull cave but there arent many Bloodskulls. I think if the Evergreen halflings got a home it would be like a halfling city because most halflings are in that guild. but there os no lizard guild, human guild or elf guild big enough to do something like that.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think a bigger map would mean accual adventures in-game, because it takes almost no time to treck across the entire island and back. True pronon, but when people see others have their own city, people will band together for that very same reason. :wink: Just give it some time. There are alot of differing types of elves too, some play dark elves, although most play high-elves.
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

Why not have both - the Island and the main land, or some other islands, so people can live on separate islands, and move from one to another as they wish. Say, to move to a different island, one will have to reach the appropriate docks and set sail. If they were multiple islands, people would choose whether to stay in Troll's Bane or find another place to setup a colony. Start building new cities, and then we have good possibilities of wars between islands, or wars of races.
Zare

Post by Zare »

I do not see how a mainland would work. What happens when you get to the edge of the map? It would just... stop. With an island(s) You wouldn't have to worry about that, because at the end of the map, their is uncrossable water.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

most continents on earth are seperated by some sort of body of water.....

the "mainland" idea kind of shifts the focus from the island to "everywhere", I kind of thought the storyline focused on the island and so does the game. Just my opinion.
Kincent Nolatri
Location: Think to your self, does Kincent stay still long enough for a location

Post by Kincent Nolatri »

You have a good point there Gro'bul,and that's kinda what i ment (more or less) by my frist post.
Sevious Helios

Post by Sevious Helios »

Actually if you read the history more clearly it does not simply state that all this happened on the island specifically. There are various places in the history like Nabranoo that are stated and there are no places on the island named that. Heck the island itself just doesn't have a name yet. It is true that as of now the story is more focused on the island because this was the land the creaters made first with a primative method or so they called it thus it would be the land they would use and probably as well keep well after the map editor was done so they could add new lands. I think there are some good points and bad points to both side. Yes it would be bad rp for everyone to exactly leave Troll's bane but you know there are those that would stay behind. Just per say go visit other lands. Also as mentioned in the site before it said players will have to ability to build their own houses on the island.

This is nearly impossible to do for individual characters thus the creators limited the restrictions on buildings because they would have to built in a primative fashion (Drag and click method) to build them which would take time. When they do come out with an in game tool for someone to make their own houses in game (even if the prices will be very expensive) there will be houses all over the map. The small island isn't such a good place for such houses to be every where. So thus a mainland would make more sense in a good fashion...this is just my opinion. I'm sure some things I have said may be untrue but I speak them on what I know. Any comments about this would be welcomed. Thank you.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Well, they would need to split up the entire map into regions, this way people would have to travel far to gather rare herbs, make trade routes. Although now trollsbane basically has them all smushed into one island. This way you could have desert orc tribes, dwarves in the mountains, halflings in the plains, elves in the woods, ect.
Sevious Helios

Post by Sevious Helios »

According to the map that was made by Nanuk, that was what was original going to be done. I don't know if it will be that way now but from what I heard the gm's and the development team are working on that from a previous post. That is all I really know about the future of Illarion's lands.
Gorynel Desse

Post by Gorynel Desse »

I think it would be nice to see a larger map
but oh well if its in the works / not possible with the current population
thats ok too.