Charakterwerte und RP / Char Stats and Roleplay

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Fedaykin

Charakterwerte und RP / Char Stats and Roleplay

Post by Fedaykin »

Wieso werden Char werte eigentlich fast immer in eine Extreme verteilt. Der neuste Post im Account Forum bestätig es wieder. Fast jeder Baut seinen Char in eine extreme Richtung entweder Kämpfer oder Magier. Dabei wird nicht auf die Art geachtet wie der Char gespielt wird oder seine Vergangenheit. Nein es geht dort einzig und allein drum möglichst Stark zu sein. Ich denke mal es gibt wenige Chars die Normale Werte haben. Oder zum Char passende Werte und bei denen wo das so ist merkt man es gleich am guten RP das sie nur einen normalen Char Spielen und keinen Genmanipulierten Super Krieger oder Magier. Wollte ich nur mal los werden. Einige Leuten sollten bei Char erstellung überdenken was sie Spielen. Will nicht wissen wieviel Low Intelligence Krieger hier rum rennen mit der Aussprache eines Adeligen. Leider gibt es hier keine Technische Möglichkeit das zu erzwingen. Hier ist jeder Spieler für sich gefragt , also überdenkt mal eure Charas bei der Erstellung.

Why were Char stats almost distributed in one extreme. The newest Post at the account Forum shows it again.
Almost everybody makes his Char in one extreme direction, Warrior or Mage. In doing so they dont watch like the char is played or his background, No the point is being strong as possible. I think there are few Chars with normal stats or stats that fits to the char, and by this player you could see it at the good RP that they play a normal Char and not a Genmanipulated Superior Warrior or Mage. Some Players should think what they want to play before creating a char. I don’t want to know how much low intelligence warriors live in illa, with the spech of a noblemen. Sadly there is no technical way to enforce this. Here is every player asked on its own, overthink your chars by creating them.
Galim

Post by Galim »

also, ich dachte mir auchmal meinen chara seinen werten entsprechend zu spielen, doch leider weiss ich nichtmehr welche ich ihm gegeben habe, deshalb spiele ich ihn ohne dieses hintergrundwissen (ich weiss nur das ich auch punkte in sachen gesteckt habe die im moment noch garnicht im spiel benutzt werden. ich schätze das ist eine sache die vorallem bei zweitcharakteren nicht der fall ist). ich muss dir aber zustimmen, wenn man weis das man seinen chara kaum intelligenz verpasst hat,solle man das auch ausspielen. aber das ist eine sache die man noch von einigen p&p kennt, wo man werte tief hält um andere hoch zu pushen, aber bei p&p wirkt sich das nunmal mehr aus, in illarion bedeuted eine niedrige intelligenz im grunde nur das man nur sehr wenige zauber sprechen kann. vielleicht sollte sich die intelligenz aber auch auf die schnelligkeit auswirken mit der man skills steigern kann. dann würden wohl auch spieler die sich einen kämpfer basteln der intelligenz mehr beachtung schenken.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

All my stats are average, Moathia isn't to strong, she isn't to smart, she has strong will power though, but the rest of her stats are average.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

There are efforts to change that.
Wryvren

Post by Wryvren »

I think that the reason people do this is simply that they know their character's stats won't change. The character isn't going to level up and get more points to distribute or anything, so they would rather make them extra potent in one field. Someone who'd obviously tilted in the direction of the fighter, is likely to be stupid and brawny, because there isn't much that inteligence can do for a fighter. Likewise, if someone is tilted towards a magic user, I'd expect they'd have higher inteligence but lower strength, after all, magic is their weapon. The only people I'd expect to have overall average stats would be paladins, warlocks, etc... and those trying to play crafts people, pesants, etc... because more average stats would be an advantage to them.
Cuderon

Post by Cuderon »

Do new chars that are created in such a way get rejected?
Kzarak Zhoruch

Post by Kzarak Zhoruch »

I cannot remember, but I believe my char was made a so called "genemanipulated" orc warrior, as you described it, but I wouldn't call him that. I wanted to roleplay an orcish, brute beast.
But there shouldn't be so much critisism aimed towards the players for this in my opinion, more to the system itself.

If someone wishes to be a warrior he will put high strength, a thief would put high dexterity and a mage intelligence and willpower, etc etc.

What seems not be programmed yet sufficiently, are the disadvantages given by low stats. For example very low intelligence should result in an inability to raise a lot of skills which requires intelligence, or affect it a lot.
Strength and constitution for mining, etc etc.

Some players wish to be extreme, while others wish to be mediocre.
I don't think a solution to the problem could be simply telling everyone to set their stats to "medium".
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

I think it's only natural that some people try to aspire to be a great knight or wizard. It just sounds more fun and more likely to have an interesting life, at first glance at least.

Not necessarily for this issue only, but the question in my mind is: Does this really matter? (long post, better get some coffee).
Do we still remember to think about how the end result will affect the overall roleplaying experience? Or have our goals turned to things like "prevent powergaming" without really keeping in mind why exactly we do that? It seems to me that we have taken a huge focus on the latter over the past two years, and less on other factors that affect the overall roleplay. Do we lack the resources to deal with these other factors, or has their importance just been overshadowed?

Sometimes I ask myself, does it really affect my roleplaying if some mage or fighter is constantly training his skills in some far away place? If he can use his powered skills to make some good roleplay even, then hey maybe it's even a good thing. If he uses his skills to pk, well it only takes a few clicks and keys to ban him. Okay, so maybe that kind of thinking might be a little too oversimplified and naive.
But the more important question is: Or does it matter more to me that the town consists mostly of adult sized humans, elves, and lizards who are constantly acting like school children on a playground a lot more than one would expect them to?

Unfortunately a lot of players around here are quite disillusioned about the quality and quantity of good roleplayers around here, in my opinion. The difference I see now from the past, is just that players understand better the difference between the "modern" and "medieval" context (which has been a pretty good improvement though). However, acting and thinking like the particular characteristics and dimensions of the character, is a different story. Not to mention now that people know how to use double brackets, some of them seem to think it is a licence to talk OOC aloud for as long as you want on things that aren't even related to the game.

Half of the characters here just play the personality of themselves in real life. Many of the characters don't even have any dimensions or any kind of distinct characteristics and couldn't tell you anything about their character's family or background if their life depended on it.
Too many of the human, elf, and lizardmen population are just dreadful in my opinion. Most of them just roleplay "goofballs" except without using modern words thats all.
I guess I speak for the english population at least.
That's my impression at least.

But then again maybe I don't blame them. It's still better than plain talking OOC and afterall, there isn't much they could do for entertainment even if they were good roleplayers. You won't always get something interesting to roleplay just by sticking a few roleplayers together. A good roleplayer after all, is more of an actor and improviser, but not necessarily a scriptwriter or director as well. So few realize the difference between a "roleplayer" and "someone who also has the creativity and innovation to lead roleplayers into interesting scenarios where their roleplaying ability can be made better use of". I try to do the latter. Unfortunately we have too few of the former, and even fewer that are also the latter. Well, at least understanding the difference might make a difference.

Oh my, I seem to have associated too many thoughts again.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

To much has changed since I Was gone.....

but one thing hasent

harry......err..........dyluck still thinks to much for his own good ;)