theive cloaks

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Post by Llama »

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but i had the same idea... and i remembered the search facility...

Here's my idea...

People who wear a cloak appear as someone (CLOAKED); however they can be recognised depending on Perception, and distance...

A person with full perception can recognise at X paces... and one who has low perception has to move closer...

To solve the abuse thing... cant an extra number be added to the someone xxxxxxxxxx to identify the cloak, and each number is scrambled by an equation... in abuse reports, the gm's scramble it back and .....y've got the man
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Post by Jeremy Gems Willowbrook »

#me is cloaked
#me is heavily disguised
#me has his/her face covered
Dont introduce and people will have to remember a long number.
Anything out of the ordinary when you hit F12 is going to make people suspicious. Better to just not introduce and use #me.
Llama

Post by Llama »

This does work.. except when you are being hunted down by the guards after a long time...

An elfess had walked into town "cloacked" and face covered... the F12 still showed her name...

Useless if you dont want to guards to attack you on sight...

Immagine that you are a normal person... and now the guards want to kill you... most people will recognise you...

Better a cloak...

"Anything out of the ordinary...will make people suspicious"
Like nobody is going to be suspicious when you see a person with a mask and cloak
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Post by Jeremy Gems Willowbrook »

My point entirely. Why bother having an item that will have the opposite effect of what is planned? and at the same time give an opportunity for rule breakers to operate invisibly.
Far better to rely on #me and trust in the roleplaying of your fellow players. You can always use a quick OOC note to smooth the RP along. Plus you can add a prefix or suffix to your name to warn people who already know the character. Then when they F12 they will see you are cloaked, etc.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Or simply, don't introduce your character via #i, and don't act suspiciously. Don't walk around in the height of the day when someone might recognize you, or single you out. I think a good change might be, to have people's numbers redone to some extent say every week. People could grow beards, their hair longer, shave/cut their hair, dye their skin, wear different cloths ect to make themselves look different, and natural things that come with certain time. There is no way to change the way your appear unfortunately, and people who have !named someone as theif or beggar could no longer recognize these people after that time frame. There are like millions of number possibilities without repeating, so I don't think there would be a huge problem. The time/difficulty to implement I have no idea, however it appears challenging.
Devrah Liioness

Post by Devrah Liioness »

<shrugs> When I had a character that didn't want to be recognized, I just logged in somewhere private, typed "#me is wearing a thick cloak that hides her face and hair, so her identity is impossible to determine. She moves as though she doesn't want to be seen." and waited for someone that would know me to walk by, then hit enter.

Everyone pretty much RP'd along with it, it worked out fine.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

What I've tried before is actually having a change of clothes in your depot or bag. If you've been spotted and your face hasn;t been seen properly then you could hide in town, change your clothes, throw the old ones in a heap, then walk out of town as if you were someone else.

Of course, at the time I used it no-one chased me. It was purely for my own roleplay satisfaction.

I think the cloak is a good idea, although hiding the number would mean that it's harder to find pkers - but when was the last time we had a major one of them since the account system? Still, things like this could be abused in other ways. Besides, on a bright sunny day, even with a hood, how shadowed can your face be? I would think; not a lot.
Llama

Post by Llama »

The problem is you rely of the RP of people...

What if you are a convict you #me being heavily masked... then a guard comes by, who hasnt seen your #me and shouts "Its him its ****".. oops you spoilt it all

Or if a secret society was formed, nobody would want to be recognised

@devrah > i still recognised you didn't i... even with another computer... DONT write a describtion of your char afterwards...it spoils it all
Korg Blacktooth

Post by Korg Blacktooth »

i must admit i haven't read everything in this topic simply because it is 4 am...so i am sorry if this was said but i think the cloak shouldn't remove the number just give you another randomly generated number that sticks with that cloak....thus if they turn into a playerkiller you have that number and can rid them from the game.
Jori
Location: How do I know? Maybe I'm not where I htink I am. Or maybe I'm somewhere I think I'm not...

Post by Jori »

Having the number disappear DEFINITLY wouldnt work because of pkers and other rule breakers. I think a big reason we DONT have pkers is because of the numbers. Without the numbers... pkers wouldnt be recognized and then we WOULD have a few of them. Also the account system strains the pkers out a bit Im sure but theres no way it would get all of them, especially since you can reapply for an account as many times as you want.

If you had another number unique to yourself as earlier suggeseted when you cloaked it still might work though. Of course this might be REALLY long to program... I wouldnt know because I dont know much about programming.
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

Good luck with this topic, fellas.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Hail Konstantin, lord of the theives and inspiration for one of my characters...