Paladin Magic?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

RothmoreKoB

Paladin Magic?

Post by RothmoreKoB »

I had a friend of mine join and was wondering where paladin magic is. I play a Knight so i don't know could someone explain it or at least how paladin are played in illarion
Lia

Re: Paladin Magic?

Post by Lia »

At present, there is no magic system. In theory, your friend could still play a paladin.

I dare to assert that the Paladin here in Illarion are just as they are imagined. Only that we have several gods here where he can almost choose one that fits his character.
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

At the moment the only kind of magic which works engine-wise is the wand magic of mages. All other things which could be labled with "magic" only work via roleplay and rituals (may it be a mage performing a ritual, a priest who blesses something and everything similar - please note, if it should have an actual effekt with an impact, you will need a GM).

More magic which works without a GM and enginewise is in progress by the developer team.

((My personal knowledge, please correct me if I am wrong))
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

RothmoreKoB wrote:I play a Knight so i don't know could someone explain it or at least how paladin are played in illarion
If you would read lore in Runewick (I think there, but might be wrong) you could read that culture most known of paladins is Salkamar. The followers of Zhambra there decide to become paladins. In the other hand every priest who has high stats of str, con, agl might be paladin doesn't matter which God he follows. After magic system I suppose will be possible play paladin. Currently we've got when you create new char pack of attributes directed to paladin so I think they are interested in creating such a class, despite new skill paladinism would not be created.
Here most important is RP after all so if a paladin isn't a priest he still be paladin and seeks evil to fight against.
Page wrote:Those who seek to worship Zhambra can find his presence in places of honour and law, so it can come as no surprise he is a patron god of Cadomyr and a fine temple has been errected in his honour close to the palace. He is often prayed to for protection of loved ones, friends, and in battle. His followers often come from the class of nobility but even the most lowly soldier will seek his blessing. Knights, paladins, and soldiers look to him to for fortitude as they protect and serve those around them.
Lia

Post by Lia »

A priest serves his God with words. A paladin with his sword. No matter what god the Paladin follows.
We have one who would play a Paladin who follow Zhambra, and we have one who follow Bragon and one who follow Malachin.
More Character who play or would like to play a Paladin i dont know.
Caine Trevall

Post by Caine Trevall »

Imho Magic is not Necessary for being a Paladin. In my thoughts a Paladin is "just" a normal Warrior who decided to live is life in the Name of a God/Goddess and to teach and act in his/hers name. To name a prominent and actual example: "S'sarney. If he would not been actually Named a "Hightemplar" what in my Opinion is just a "higher" definition of a Paladin) he would be nothing else than a simple Paladin that serves and lives in Tanoras/Zelphyas name. So if your Friend wants to play a Templar, he can either Roleplay a Templar that just reached one of the towns, or he can become one by visiting the Teple of the deity he wants to serve, and do a little Roleplaying to swear an Oath to it, for example, with or without GM-support.

long text and short Meaning: I think "Magic" is not necessary to actually Roleplay a Paladin, as long as the Character is "played" in a right sense to his chosen deity.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Currently Paladin or Templar "magic" is unsupported by the engine. There is currently a plan to support them listed under part 6.1 of the Ars Magica:http://illarion.org/~estralis/Ars_magica_v2.10.pdf.

This does not mean that one can not play a paladin, or a mage, or a priest, or what ever just because it is unsupported by the engine. Instead he should take a moment to read through the individual preferably younger gods (http://illarion.org/illarion/goetter/us_bck_10.php) and try to get a good idea of who his character might follow. Having a good handle on the lore will be what truly matters into making his character believably a paladin of a particular god or goddess. The RP is perhaps the most important part of making the character seem real.

Also. Tell him welcome to Illarion and please direct him to the "New Player" forum should he have any more questions. :D