Brainstorm: Drow and Poison Trader.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Evie
Developer

Brainstorm: Drow and Poison Trader.

Post by Evie »

In conjunction with http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=11367, a trader will be introduced to the game in the future that will buy drow gear and poisoned weapons. This trader will be linked to the rebel lizards at the lake of life dungeon and placed at the Hempty ((in the new basement!). To trade with this npc, you will need to perform a quest for him which will open up X amount of time of trading. I am looking for brainstorming ideas for potential quests for him and/or how long you think these quests will give you favour with him. Thanks for the help!!
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Re: Brainstorm: Drow and Poison Trader.

Post by Charlotte-ate-wilbur »

Do poisoned weapons/arrows currently have any effect on pcs and monsters? Sorry if it's off topic just curious.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Charlotte-ate-wilbur wrote:Do poisoned weapons/arrows currently have any effect on pcs and monsters? Sorry if it's off topic just curious.
None that I know of, though I believe it will be added sometime in the future.
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Post by Charlotte-ate-wilbur »

ok cool
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I believe it is questionable whether we will be able to buy from these NPC's or just sell however? Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Quest ideas:
Drag someone from Cadomyr to the Inn to show proof of kidnapping. (this would have the effect of encouraging the roleplay of another player if can be scripted)

Drag someone from Runewick to the Inn to show proof of kidnapping.

Kidnap a mage. :wink:

Bring a mummy of madness to the Inn.. (sometimes difficult to find when not Mas)

I'm not sure if any of these can be scripted, just throwing out ideas.
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

IMO such a trader is completely superfluous. If really needed buying (not selling) could be added to existing NPCs.

Please focus on stuff that supports role play, like guild depots, mules, builds, etc.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Though I agree with Ragorn, as we all want RP enhancing features as opposed to another NPC I must admit that sort of feedback is entirely unhelpful to anyone.

My personal take on the general subject of drow gear is this:

I feel like the drow armors and weapons should be regarded as "end game" items that only the best of the best are able to acquire and proficiently wield. They looks like mighty cursed forgotten artifacts made from long lost dark magics... so why shouldn't they be? The swords are probably fine as they are already level 100 items, but I understand the armor and helms etc. are much lower than this? Correct me if I am mistaken here, but I would like to see them raised to level 100 armors. Perhaps introduce a light, medium, and also heavy variants inclusive of all the necessary parts such as helmets, legs, boots, gloves and helms etc. Maybe make a drow spear or daggers (maybe a set that could be dual wielded) to cater to the puncture weapon group and a mace/war hammer/flail to cater to concussion.

Now that that's out of my system... quest ideas:

You may have to simply bring a selections of poisons of different potentcies to the quest giver. Stronger the poison you bring them, the better the poisoned weapon they'll sell/trade to you.

As for armors: perhaps you just have to initially supply the NPC with a bunch of rare resources since they "ran out" and need help to re-stock their forge so they can craft again. Supply them with a bunch of pure elements, merinium, hearth wood, silk maybe even a magic gem stone of each type(??) and in exchange they will sell you some drow gear.

Bit uninspired, I know but I feel like the whole.. "do this to a player" component could be a bit unreliable/hard to trigger since literally no one lives in Runewick... apart from Titus, maybe.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

@Ragorn, I would encourage you to make a proposal of items you feel would assist in roleplay and how that would help the game...http://illarion.org/community/forums/viewforum.php?f=94

@Morbius, thoughtful response, thanks.

I'll adjust mine then..

Perhaps if there is just buying (though I would like selling also), the quest would have to be worth the cost of selling to an NPC rather then a player. Most players will pay a pretty copper for certain drow, poison items. :)

I would either make the quest fairly simple and not pay that much for the items for those that can't find a buyer. Or make the quest very complicated and pay good gold.

Simple something like bring x,y,z 50% difficulty finding/making

Complicated, bring x,y,z 90% difficulty finding/making

To satisfy the RP, the complicated could be something requiring RP with another player.. something they can make or even a gemmed weapon?

More ideas?
Rakaya

Post by Rakaya »

I'm also agree with Ragorn, that selling poison/drow items isn't importent, but i respect if someone work about such a topic if he/she/it wants to (we all do it for our fun). I'm against buying Drow/poison items from NPCs, as long as you cant produce them.

About Morbius statement about drow items I have a complete different understanding. Drows items are for me not such 'perfect' things. Why shall Drows have a the posibility to make highend or simply better armour/weapons then other elfs/dwarfs etc, if they are only a kind of elven race. They should be good items but not "end game" .
I see a more RP backround for such 'darker' equipment.

For the Quests:
We have two dungeons which are connected to Drows (Akaltut near Cadomyr) or poison (Rats near Galamir)
maybe you have to talk to NPCs/read a book at the beginning of the dungeons (not in them) about Drows or different poisons. So you can also bring some Lore into the game.
Or you have collect some items/things out of them.
There is also a poison food plate in a thief dungeon near Runewick, maybe you can also connect this. (I think there is already a quest with this item)

PS sorry for my bad english
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Sorry, only in german – may be one other will translate it.

Es gibt sicher wichtigere Dinge als einen solchen Händler für die Entwickler / Programmierer …, aber ich würde mich nicht über eine solche Erweiterung beschweren. :wink:

Hier nun meine Gedanken zu einem Händler, der „vergiftete Dinge“ / „Drow Dinge“ kauft / verkauft. Die Idee das man bevor man mit dem Händler ein Geschäft machen kann eine Aufgabe erfüllen soll finde ich gut. Möglicherweise könnte man auch den „Preis“ über ein Würfelspiel festlegen?

Als erstes möchte ich die „vergifteten Dinge“ von den „Drow Dingen“ in meiner Betrachtung trennen.

vergiftete Dinge:

1) Ich weiß nicht ob es geplant ist, das man später Dinge (dies betrifft nicht nur Waffen, sondern vielleicht auch Essen und Trinken oder Kleidung) selber vergiften kann. In diesem Falle sollten diese Dinge nur gekauft werden, falls die Vergiftung durch Spieler nicht geplant ist kann der Händler durchaus auch solche Dinge verkaufen, diese sollten aber m.E. nur maximal normale Qualität besitzen, und natürlich einen „guten Preis“ haben.
2) Man sollte jedes Mal, wenn man mit dem Händler ein Geschäft machen will eine Aufgabe bekommen.
3) Da im Moment soweit mir bekannt ist „vergiftete Waffen“ keinen Effekt haben verstehe ich den Sinn des ganzen nicht so wirklich. Man kann das Zeug ja spenden oder verotten lassen, bzw. seltene hoch qualitative Waffen aufheben und sammeln.

Drow Dinge:

1) die Drow Rüstung ist nicht vollständig (Körper & Kopf) und hat nur Level 80, ist also nicht unbedingt etwas, was die meisten Kämpfer nutzen werden.
2) Meiner Meinung nach sollten Drow Dinge eine Besonderheit / Seltenheit bleiben und deshalb nur sehr begrenzt zur Verfügung stehen. (p.s. Ich weis das für die Aufgaben in dem Akaltut Dungeon Drow Dinge für die Erfüllung von Aufgaben benötigt werden) → möglicherweise könnte später mit Hilfe von Moshran Priestern und Handwerksmeistern unter ganz eng festgelegten Bedingungen Drow Dinge hergestellt werden?
3) Drow Dinge sollten nicht verkauft werden.
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

Zur Klarstellung:
Weder beschwere ich mich über etwas, noch respektiere ich die freiwillige Arbeit die hier gemacht wird nicht.
Als langjähriger Softwareentwickler weiss ich aber, wie wertvoll Entwicklerressourcen sind. In Illarion sind sie besonders knapp.
Und aus diesem Grund habe ich deutlich darauf hingewiesen, dass dieses Feature aus Spielersicht nicht notwendig ist.
Es gibt eine Vielzahl von anderen Dingen, die darauf warten, implementiert zu werden.
Je früher man die Chance wahrnimmt, umzupriorisieren, desto geringer ist der zeitliche Verlust und um so schneller können andere Features implementiert werden.

Ich wünsche mir Features, die das Zusammenspiel verbessern: Gildendepots, Mules, Housing "System", Ingame Letter System, gerechtes Balancing in jeder Hinsicht (egal ob Gold verdienen, Edelsteinverteilung, Skillgain. Killrate, Skalierung (aktuell: je größer die Bildschirmauflösung, desto größer der Kartenausschnitt. Mit meinem neuen Laptop und 4k Auflösung sehe ich ganz Galmair plus die Umgebung aussen rum ..)), etc.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Do not worry, I am not exclusively working on this NPC. In fact, its a task I work on when other things have hit snags or when my local server acts up like this past week. Personally, I lack the skills to work on many of the more major projects. Not all devs have the knowledge to do the big projects. I see this npc as not a necessity for the game but an extra something for the future and a project I can work on off and on easily.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Rakaya wrote:About Morbius statement about drow items I have a complete different understanding. Drows items are for me not such 'perfect' things. Why shall Drows have a the posibility to make highend or simply better armour/weapons then other elfs/dwarfs etc, if they are only a kind of elven race. They should be good items but not "end game" .
I see a more RP backround for such 'darker' equipment.
Well, the swords are already level 100 items (maybe the bow is too, I'm not sure) and it is also my understanding that the drow are some of the toughest enemies (possibly the toughest?) in the game at the moment. Based mainly on that logic, I suppose I just thought it was "fitting" that the best (or some of the best) enemies in the game had the best weapons and armor in the game.

I can't really comment on the lore appropriateness of such a suggestion as I don't know a heap about the drow as a race in Illarion.
Evie wrote:Do not worry, I am not exclusively working on this NPC. In fact, its a task I work on when other things have hit snags or when my local server acts up like this past week. Personally, I lack the skills to work on many of the more major projects. Not all devs have the knowledge to do the big projects. I see this npc as not a necessity for the game but an extra something for the future and a project I can work on off and on easily.
Thank you Evie for persisting and continuing development despite the general lack of appreciation. Every small enhancement to the game makes it better on whole.

Pretty busy atm, but I will try and think up some more quest ideas when time allows.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Short note on Drow lore:
Drow are the descendants of an elven House defying the Gods, for which they are cursed with their current appearance and features (black skin, unpigmented=red eyes, vulnerability to daylight). They also sought to wipe out the orcs and do still seem to hate them almost as much as the Gods.
Thus, they are radical (maybe genocidal) anti-theists, not followers of some Blood God or demons. However, a loose and informal alliance with some outcast God or demon also fighting the Gods they hate is something they might consider. (See the Alkatut-Dungeon.)

also see: