What happened to Gem Cutting?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

What happened to Gem Cutting?

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I'd like to ask if anyone else has noticed that the Gem-cutting skill has stopped working?

I have cut more than enough gems for a little skill movement and nothing! I have heard a couple others complain that they are not learning Gem-cutting either since Evie's update. Has anyone else experienced this?

If so, could someone check into it and fix please??

Thanks!!
Vern Kron

Re: What happened to Gem Cutting?

Post by Vern Kron »

I have actually gotten a skill gain in the gem-cutting skill in the last day. High level gemcutting takes longer, and 99 to 100 takes a ton.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Really? Has the number of gems needed increased?

I am only at 57 so the number shouldn't be too much...but I've cut more than 200 with no budge in the green skill bar, when before only 20 would move the skill....just doesn't seem right.

Anyone else?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

There are a couple of other things that could be going on:

You might have 'outskilled' the gem you are learning with. For example, you can't learn from plates in carpentry to level 100, the same is true with gems. The gems that you should be cutting to gain skill are: sapphires (but not turning them to dust, as this does not yield you skill), Obsidian (and dust), emerald (and dust), and topaz (and dust). Topaz and diamond (coming to you soon) you can cut all the way up to level 100, if that is your heart's desire.

Another idea is that you have sent your mc to sky-high levels, which would drop your learning, and your gains from learning, to the equal depths. (Personally, I dislike gemcutting for this very reason, as it seems to have a pretty high impact on mc, with little useful yields, but that is a different topic, although possibly relevant.)

There is also the alternative that you have just gotten extremely unlucky in your chance to learn.

I can't tell you without a shadow of a doubt that there is not something broken somewhere along the line, but I did go from 96 gemcutting to 97 and a half. So skill gains should be possible.

Also, I understand what you are saying: I crafted 200 high level blacksmithing items and also got no skill gain.

As for what you can personally do to help the situation:
There isn't really a ton you can do. You can continue to try to brute force your way to the skill, by just buying and grinding more gems
You can alternatively not use any skills for a few play sessions you are IG and that can bring the mc down (if your mc being that high is the actual cause, and I am fully aware that a person can just 'gain skill no matter what the mc, it is just slower' but as a player it's annoying to burn resources, particularly gems that you cannot actively gather, for a skill that is exclusively used to benefit other skills).
You can avoid gemcutting like the plague because you get nothing useful from it after level 60 and have others cut gems for you, or purchase them from npcs.

Other solutions may exist, but I am not sure of what they are.

As a side note, I think it is fair to say that we should not ascribe blame to a singular person or dev on most situations. In this, Evie was not the sole contributor to the changes that were made, the ideas presented, or the concepts. I have my fair share of frustrations with a variety of the systems in place in the game, and while we may not agree on how it is being performed, there is a way of addressing such problems without making individuals targeted in it. I also realize that this may have just been a way of signifying the time frame in which you noticed the problem (Evie was the one who posted this update, so it isn't a far leap to claim it as her update in that mindset), but it was a calm opportunity in which it can be said.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Just a small FYI, all dev's work on certain parts of the game.. only a few that I know of have the ability to update for everyone else.. for all the work that had been accomplished in that time frame. Each should have tested in beta, parts of the update and even when ALL looks good, there can be bugs. There were still bugs worked on in Gobaith right up until the VBU by the way...only extreme ones that interfered with play at that time. Bugs meaning "we aren't quite sure what happened and have to check it out from all angles finding the fault like we have all the time in the world" :wink:

Before a "bug" can be identified and put on mantis it would be nice...thanks PO Artimer for listing all the possibilities that can also happen.... if all those other possibilities can be tested too/first then a concise input is very much appreciated by those having the job of searching for it.

Dev's please correct me if I have some part of this wrong.

PS Just a wild fact: Your char has to make a little over 857 rolls before can "advance" to a level 10 in cooking and are able to bake more variety.
Skill gain is not always even.
Gem cutting is considered the hardest to learn and the milestone for crafting is still there...http://illarion.org/mantis//view.php?id=9822 which means.. things still have to be fixed so any help is always appreciated.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Great answers everyone, thanks!!

I was using the Update as a time frame. I know that several people contributed to it, and much thanks for all their work. :D