Medieval themes/motives

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Karrock

Medieval themes/motives

Post by Karrock »

First I should say sorry for my language in this topic I will use wording which I don't know how should properly sound in english.

At the end of my education (I never gone on university) I had to make a work -> "Medieval themes/motives in fantasy literature".

I picked this work thinking it's easy. After reading more about I discovered that everything what before reminded me medieval like swords, castles, battles, pre industrial economy like feudalism, or knights have nothing to do with medieval actually (maybe knights have something, but I will write about later). Anyway I got 4/5 I could get 5/5 (best rate) if I would be better speaker.

Well. This topic is directed to those who would like to play really a characters who are children of era.

There exist concepts which can we use in game and some which we cannot. I won't explain these concepts because it will make my post huge.

Universalism - Common values or one religion is something we can't rp, but we have one language. One land, one culture. Example: Holy Roman Empire of German Nation.
Teocentrism - Concepts in which Gods (in medieval one God) are in center of live is possible to rp, and my char in example it's most important value. Gods are everything. Look at medieval knights orders.
Didacticism - It's rather literature concept but also in game we can create ideals for knights, lords, subjects or saints (in game rather priests) with avoiding playing pure good/evil characters. Just creatings common values and know-how for these groups. Samwise Gamgee was my example for ideal of subject in that work.
Death - For my char who is follower of Zhambra death is only a step to better live after. Memento mori, ars moriendi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzAqfYVp9mg
Love, Brave and Customs - Especially medieval literature of romances. In medieval existed huge hierarchy and sofisticated customs. Medieval bard who was singing about love or epic battles, brave knights was something like early youtube ;p Most wanted were stories which ended bad for heroes who were acting against law or customs, but were good people. Law and custom must win. Read Tristan and Isolde.
Evil - In medieval evil was personfied. Evil were those who are from other culture or were enemies of God. Example: Pagans. In Tales of Round Table Merlin born after rape on pious woman by Satan.
Asceticism - Earthly goods are nothing compared to life after death. My char wears simple clothes and silice (haircloth) to focus fully on his faith.
I had a confrontation once with other player who told me that I create faith in opposit to lore. Example in fantasy literature: Frodo, he picks rather a mission to save world than pleasures which left in Shire.

I tried to make this topic short. I point that I don't demand from players to play according to these rules. And I repeat this topic is directed to those who want play their chars in line with medieval spirit.

Playing as medieval man or woman is only your decision and there is nothing in lore forcing you to play in this style.
Last edited by Karrock on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Re: Medieval themes/motives

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Since this forum is for "New Players", I would like to address them.

There are many styles and concepts of medieval themes, some based on reality and some on fantasy. Having been to University many times, I disagree with most of the points of the player above, however that's ok. Some players you find will play according to the roles, lore and themes of illarion which are very rich and balanced for gameplay, and some will embellish it to fit what they desire it to be. That's the fun of Roleplaying! You become what you wish to be. There is no right or wrong way to play your character, unless you break certain rules designed to mediate player conflict, game balance or lessen legal consequences for "Illarion e.V." the corporation.

No-one.....No-one can tell you to play one way or that. As a player, you'll play a certain way at first, and then slowly change and adapt to the expectations of other players if you wish to belong within a group. Some people like to be 'loners' and that's ok too. However, Groups tend to have a certain 'groupthink' of common ideals and expectations, that's why they form groups. Groups are an excellent addition to any Roleplay game like this and Illarion is no exception. Illarion currently only has three 'forced' groups (The Cities) and a only a few 'Desired" groups (The Bearers of Fire, House of the Sea Serpent, House of the Desert Fox, etc.) in which players want to be a part of.

Some of the other 'groups' you hear about, really are not groups yet, but are just attempts for a certain players to be in charge of something. Some may argue this is a necessary stage to 'test the waters' for people willing to join, but is not the best way. The best way is to be part of a group yourself, to see what a group does, how it operates and what does it do to recruit and retain members. Find out what is their "Groupthink" - what attracts the players to be active in those groups? After that, you can create something 'different' with proven principles of "Group-think'.

For example, if your goal is to lead a group of farmers, be one yourself. Hang around other farmers, spend time with them, be generous and find ways for people to honestly 'want to be around you'. If no-one does, then a group cannot form and you're either trying too hard or not trying hard enough. It's best to try something else, another tactic and try again. You never know what will inspire players to join and become active members of a group. Role-players tend to be the most flexible when looking for 'groupthinks' - we always love to play something else! And Roleplaying within a group is even more of a rush with it's sense of belonging and common purpose! That's what you must be - Flexible. There is no right or wrong, but to belong to a group or 'style' of players, be flexible.

Have fun roleplaying! ;)
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Juniper Onyx wrote:There are many styles and concepts of medieval themes, some based on reality and some on fantasy. Having been to University many times, I disagree with most of the points of the player above, however that's ok.
No. Those points I created you should place in your work if you would want to pass exam or work on final mature exam. There are nothing I made up and nothing to discuss.
Medieval traits are not castles, swords, knights, serves or even feudalism cause these things were before and after in other eras. Difference are in ideals in example perfect knight in medieval (Chant of Roland) had to do other things than perfect knight from Homer's Illiad.

Most important to point in this topic is that Illarion is not game about medieval or other era of our world. But if you would like to rp person who think like medieval man or woman you should read about points I placed here.
Last edited by Karrock on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

You posted this in the New Players forum, and I do not think this is the best place to argue about the points of your post, I simply disagree with them. You can chat with me privately if you like but my point was that there are many styles and no-one has the right to tell roleplayers how they should play. If you want to be in a group, be flexible with your roleplay according to the 'groupthink' a group is based on. Be flexible. ;)
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

I created this topic because many people imagine that fantasy games are related to medieval. Illarion is not a simulator of any era. Some things can remind medieval, but even those like - subjects, monarchy, swords, knights etc. were in other eras. I see nothing in lore which connects to medieval.
This topic is for those who are interested in medieval and have low knowledge about this era but would like to play char based on that era. I point again.

Playing as medieval man or woman is only your decision and there is nothing in lore forcing you to play in this style.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

As I said, you may chat with me about your points, but I disagree with your categories, examples and personal edifications. Please do not spam this thread. It's just rude.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Be flexible. ;)
^this!

No further comment.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Please for remove my comments and Juniper comments in this thread, because my comments are only repeating same and Juniper comments are not connected to this topic. Especially comment in which he tells newbies that I lead my guild in wrong way. He gives it as example how to not play. Please also remove this comment.
Slightly
Gamemaster

Post by Slightly »

The game draws some ideas from mediaeval concepts and we ask that things like names reflect this as a way of guiding new players. Bear in mind this refers loosely to a period covering ten centuries and encompassing a wide geography and different societies so it should not be too restrictive. Ultimately this is a fantasy game and we encourage characters to shape the world they are in rather than strictly adhere to any historical or otherwise defined concept. That is not to say individuals cannot adopt these ideas for their own role play / guild. Most important of all is to play and enjoy :wink: