Really?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Kamilar

Re: Really?

Post by Kamilar »

@ Dji - I have to disagree on your primary point that the goal is fairness. The goal should be a fun and dynamic game. That's my goal anyway because if everyone's having fun, that's all the fairness we need.

Also, I'm not suggesting that the characters all be dirty - that's a player choice. Again, I think you misunderstand. I'm suggesting players with the motivation and talent to create something interesting be given the support to do that. Obviously if players are unskilled at playing conflict, those should not be the ones invited to do it. For those adept at creating some sizzle, there needs to be a way to acknowledge the effort of the player while punishing the character and I'm all ears.

I think it's really important to leave the problems from the past in the past. We did have problems with inconsequentially played bad guys in the past. We had players seeking dominion over other players. We had no control over the actions of bad guys except what they imposed upon themselves. All that is true but that's not the present situation. What we have now is an entirely different problem that grew out of trying to fix those issues in the past. I think it's really important to keep the focus relevant. I think it's also important not to let the fear of what might happen prevent us from making much needed improvements. If something doesn't ultimately work, it can go right back on the scrap heap with very little bother.

If it's fairness we're discussing, players of "dirty" characters get the short end of the stick every time. It's easy to stand on moral high ground and say those players are getting what they deserve for the in game choices they made but in the end it's the whole game that suffers with them and we're left with only our empty moral victory. It's a little harder but ultimately much more rewarding to embrace them for what they contribute.

Kudos to Silverwing for planning a shady quest. :D I see Mephy is already brewing his next take-over-the-world scenario. :twisted:
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

I said nowhere that fairness is a goal. It is a requirement - it is necessary to be fair if you want to produce fun for everyone and not just for the group supported.

“Dirty” is just a synonym for chars which don’t fit into the current towns ethic/moral. For these we need find ways to be supported with the benefits of a town.

What you speaking about supporting creative ideas to support players which come up with ideas to create conflicts or other kind of fun which attracts players is something we already have it. Any player is free to write his plans of a quest/action/whatever to a GM and ask for support. Our GM team supports any creative idea which fits into the game world and which creates some kind of fun.

But being supported is not the same as getting skills or other freebies. Such benefits are reserved for characters which are used for limited events/quests or similar. You can not come up with the concept of playing a villain and ask for fighting skills and the sword of doom ;)
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Djironnyma wrote:... being supported is not the same as getting skills or other freebies. Such benefits are reserved for characters which are used for limited events/quests or similar. You can not come up with the concept of playing a villain and ask for fighting skills and the sword of doom ;)
Here you're starting to get the idea. Villainous characters should be mostly short term. The bad guy generally loses. In post-VBU Illarion, the bad guy always loses. Who wants to spend boring months training up a character to throw it away? Obviously not very many people which is why we have such a drab game. For the players that do conflict well, they absolutely should get fighting skills and a sword of doom. We need that kind of activity because without the presence of an antagonist, there really isn't any point to it. I see no problems with fairness.

Hopefully we can get some other opinions besides the two of us. :P Maybe we should move our personal debate to PMs to make room for some others?
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Disclaimer: This is directed at no one in particular please don't go saying I directed this at anyone.

Some players like to rp conflict, almost exclusively. Some players do not like to rp conflict at all. You can not expect people who hate conflict to join in on everywar or conflicting discussion. Do you expect someone who is a fighter to start baby rping ? Some general interaction or acknowledgement yes. However, If I dont want to do conflict rp I should not have to. If i want to walk on and farm or sit and rp telling a baby story that is my right. I should not be forced to rp conflict because another player wants to. We are all different, and our characters are different. Not everyone is going to enjoy everything you do all the time. This is my two cents, if all someone is brokering at me is nonstop conflict rp and i dont want to deal with it. My character will walk off, probably thinking bad things about said character. It is not ignoring your rp to walk off, it is simply that me choosing not to rp conflict.. in one characters case. I have another that will walk from lovey rp or baby rp. Each is different. Some conflict rp is good, non stop conflict just feels like harassment.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

Kamilar wrote:
Djironnyma wrote:... being supported is not the same as getting skills or other freebies. Such benefits are reserved for characters which are used for limited events/quests or similar. You can not come up with the concept of playing a villain and ask for fighting skills and the sword of doom ;)
Here you're starting to get the idea. Villainous characters should be mostly short term. The bad guy generally loses. In post-VBU Illarion, the bad guy always loses. Who wants to spend boring months training up a character to throw it away? Obviously not very many people which is why we have such a drab game. For the players that do conflict well, they absolutely should get fighting skills and a sword of doom. We need that kind of activity because without the presence of an antagonist, there really isn't any point to it. I see no problems with fairness.

Hopefully we can get some other opinions besides the two of us. :P Maybe we should move our personal debate to PMs to make room for some others?
I am inclined to agree with Kamilar. Who wants to spend months tirelessly building up a character to create a villain that will be perma killed? And knowing it? It's ridiculous really. This is a valid point and needs to be realistically fleshed out. How can a menace appear in town that is weak as a baby? He can't. So he fits in for months, builds up relationships and then suddenly becomes a menace? Seems like bad RP. After months of painstaking work to skill a character, getting it killed off so quickly is brutal.

Dji talks about specific plans with GMs... if a specific plan is made, could characters be created to accommodate those plans, like GMs create for their quest lines? Within reason of course. No super over powered "wonder woman" characters of doom, but perhaps, a Forest Troll leader that has a major club and skills to match? Could bang about some of the towns for a while until he is trapped and... whatever. (Just as a broad example) This, of course, would have to be overseen by GMs for not to be abused. Would have no "special" GM powers. And, would have to result in eventual perma death. Would also need to reside at the hempty so no town status?
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Evie wrote:Disclaimer: This is directed at no one in particular please don't go saying I directed this at anyone.
This is clearly directed at me. I feel personally directed at. This is an attack on my personhood. Did everybody see that time Evie attacked me in the forum? :wink:
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

@Evie edit: the last post was uncalled for and didn't communicate the message I intended, apologies.
Last edited by Mephistopheles on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Mephistopheles wrote:@Evie, unless you have some bad player constantly attacking you in the fields I fail to understand how your char is effected at all?

As far as I know the char Evie was only ever involved in conflict when she was a chancellor, a choice of her own I might add, government is never flowers and farming. Nobody has tried to force non-conflict based character into conflict when I'm involved. So why do you keep bringing it up? If you were forced into conflict take it up with those involved,
And evie did not run this term, but conflict still affects her, and not just free men issues. ps Mephy fun fact Evie lobbied hard and worked for what i considered a more player friendly solution for the free men ((the ignoring of it by the Don is why she didnt run)) . I am not hating on you.. wasn't even thinking of you when i wrote this.
As I said this was not based at anyone or anytime in particular. This is how i feel and I have a right to my opinion as well.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Evie makes a fair point. Players on the receiving end of the conflict should absolutely have a choice whether or not to participate. The players that RP conflict well should be sensitive to that. It's supposed to be fun. If fun is hammering rocks, who are we to judge? Conflict can be present in game without every character being directly involved in it all the time. There could be gossip, preparations, etc. that can flavor a character's existence without the player having to be overly involved in the action. Right now, that extra layer is missing.

Players that thrive on conflict but do it poorly are not the players that I have in mind here but there are some people who do it extremely well.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

While it may be in character to ask for a trade ban on both sides, it seriously impacts way more people than the few involved in the RP. This should be a very last resort and come from the leaders of a realm and not the people in the middle of the RP. I was rather surprised to hear it in game and see something on the boards hinting to wanting this on the other side as well. Most people affected by such a move would not even be involved in the conflict. This is what I believe Evie means by forced RP. People would be forced to participate to get their ability to trade back. This isn't right.
Mephistopheles

Re: Roleplay....

Post by Mephistopheles »

The issue wasn't resolved obviously if my char is still banned from runewick when he hardly ever entered there and since the conflict didn't involve the city (just the bearers b/c of alliance).

Its a very clear abuse of power to ban someone permanenatly period (since the discussion on bans it was very clear that bans were not meant to be longer than 24 hours), let alone ban them for having conflict with a city that's leagues away from your own.

Again the conflict didn't involve the town runewick, it involved Cadomyr.

I'll not argue here anymore due to the tedious nature of it. I simply want to roleplay and have fun. However I am sick of being told to be quiet about the issue when it's not being solved.

PS just because you call the broom a dustpan doesn't mean its a dustpan. Thus just because you're in charge doesn't mean you can say there isn't an issue when there very clearly is one. The issue persists, I just want to go back to having fun instead of arguing on the forums.
Djironnyma

Re: Roleplay....

Post by Djironnyma »

Moved.
Mephistopheles wrote:The issue wasn't resolved obviously if my char is still banned from runewick when he hardly ever entered there and since the conflict didn't involve the city (just the bearers b/c of alliance).
Attacking citizens and townleaders doesnt rly help to lift bans
Mephistopheles wrote:Its a very clear abuse of power to ban someone permanenatly period (since the discussion on bans it was very clear that bans were not meant to be longer than 24 hours), let alone ban them for having conflict with a city that's leagues away from your own.
The ban was spoken with the clear and simple condition, that it can be discussed with every representatives of Galmair. Your chars decission was it to break up with Galmair too. Since then he made no attend / request / try to change his ban.
Mephistopheles wrote:Again the conflict didn't involve the town runewick, it involved Cadomyr.
Runewick and Cadomyr were allies in that matter. Anyway just because the conflict you speak of was the formal reason to ban your char, it does not mean that is was the real reason to ban him.
Mephistopheles wrote:'ll not argue here anymore due to the tedious nature of it. I simply want to roleplay and have fun. However I am sick of being told to be quiet about the issue when it's not being solved.
You cannot expect that your constant ooc complains about ig matters will not be commented
Mephistopheles wrote:PS just because you call the broom a dustpan doesn't mean its a dustpan. Thus just because you're in charge doesn't mean you can say there isn't an issue when there very clearly is one. The issue persists, I just want to go back to having fun instead of arguing on the forums.
I can say to stay on topic, what i did. You have this topic to express your feelings and thoughts about your chars ig status.

Thanks, Dji
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Extensive mech bans are an abuse and are not how things are supposed to be done. I realize Dji and the Bearers think that normal rules don't apply to them but this has been discussed and dealt with before. The most interesting topic is the one below where most players spoke out against extensive mech bans:
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 94&t=39097

My character was mech banned for over a full RL year from Galmair over a verbal dispute/money issue. I didn't really say anything about it until that topic came up and then it was mentioned and I had multiple GMs/Devs express that it shouldn't have happened and it was not how things were supposed to work. Teflon wasn't even aware of automatic mech bans:
Automatic bans? We do not have them as far as I know. May I ask you to explain what you mean? Leaders can ban a char for one day if there is an IG reason. As far as I see the reports to the Don from different sources it was reasonable to ban your char and I also think you are still able to rp on basis of this decision.
After I was told that this wasn't supposed to happen I was unbanned, not sure by who, but Teflon and Slightly are wonderful and we love them. In the Runewick case one side showed up after they were invited (demanded?) to the battle. People were sent to Runewick to say this had nothing to do with Runewick. It's hilarious that the Cadomyr mech ban was lifted long ago but the Runewick one is still up. It's obviously an abuse.

Estralis also said something interesting in that topic relating to bans:
If individual bans are used over using the prison mine, I will deactivate the bans entirely and only whole factions can be banned.
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 19#p685919

This has been the case in a lot of situations, so maybe it's time for the mech bans to go?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Fooser wrote:Extensive mech bans are an abuse and are not how things are supposed to be done. I realize Dji and the Bearers think that normal rules don't apply to them but this has been discussed and dealt with before. The most interesting topic is the one below where most players spoke out against extensive mech bans:
There is no rule again long term engine bans. It would simple be not possible if the staff would decide a general rule against it. Further more i cant share your impression, that are the most players are against mechanic bans. Please consider that it is normal, that players normally involve just in a discussion if they are not satisfied with a situation. So no matter about what you will discuss there will be ever speaking more people which see a problem. A discussion is no poll (and neither will the staff decide the game rules by polls).
Fooser wrote: In the Runewick case one side showed up after they were invited (demanded?) to the battle. People were sent to Runewick to say this had nothing to do with Runewick. It's hilarious that the Cadomyr mech ban was lifted long ago but the Runewick one is still up. It's obviously an abuse.
I can just repeat myself: a official/formal reason is not the same like the true reason. Furthermore there was clearly written how the ban can be lifted and there was taken no attempt to reach that goal. AFAIK there was also no attempt to reach that goal on a other way, except ooc complaining. Bans are an instrument to make pressure to other chars, guild, towns. We have even the possibility to ban a whole fraction for long term. Thats not to exclude someone from a part of the game content, but to serve the game dynamics. With no pressure, with no punishment (again punishments IG wise dont have to be fair or reasonable) there are less options to build political pressure which creates rp/ig events/ig activity.

Furthermore i once again repeat that there are cases, where chars are banned not to punish them but to protect other chars. If you come up with a other workable way to create safe harbours you may share.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

So anyone can be banned forever for any reason. Any dev care to comment?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Fooser wrote:So anyone can be banned forever for any reason. Any dev care to comment?
That is written nowhere. A ban is an instrument for serval explained uses. I will write it once again more clear down:
  • Create safe harbours, split more aggressive chars from less aggressive.
  • Create IG pressure to individuals / groups / fraction; motivate the banned person /group / fraction to solve their problems IG. Illaron lives from interaction in the game not from ooc complains on the forum.*
  • last but not least IG punishment

*Since you brought up your own chars personal ban from runewick, can you please list what your char have tried to solve this problem / change the situation? There was no attempt which I have noticed.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

So you can come up with any reason to ban someone, including secret reasons, go to a GM whose player char is in your guild, and have them institute the ban, including permanent bans? Is that right?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Fooser wrote:So you can come up with any reason to ban someone, including secret reasons, go to a GM whose player char is in your guild, and have them institute the ban, including permanent bans? Is that right?
I dont have the feeling that you want discuss this matter but just want express you anger. You dont answered my questions. Your way of asking questions implicates false facts. No decision for a long term ban was decided by a single GM. No permanent ban is currently spoken. There were bans spoken including conditions how to get rid of them by IG actions. There was made no attempt to follow these conditions or to make any other ig try to get rid of them. Start playing the game and deal with its challenges.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

It doesn't provide anything. Do you even have one example of a town ban ending in anything good?
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

My own personal experience with bans is that they don't come with instructions. Not in game, forum, PM nor any other means of communication. How is a player to know what's expected? Also, with the absence of information in game, it is no longer an in game matter. It becomes an ooc issue if it hasn't been played out in character. Blaming the banned player is a sloppy shortcut. The real question is, what has the faction instituting the ban done to make the player aware of what is needed?
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

Azure was able after proving he was no longer a threat. to not only return to Cady but move there. That was the first ban when fooser was Baron. But the ban kept us and I mean the galmajr army from just throwing oil fires and chasing you and starling up a ladder. And I could be wrong but if memory serves wasn't that same Baron that brawn and areis chased that banned them for protection of the town. I could be wrong. It's been awhile
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Don't fool yourself. We're all keeping one eye on Azure.

And also since you invoke my character's name, apples and oranges. Brawndara got it in his head that he hated Stonescale for no good reason that I could ever determine. From my side, he generated conflict for the sake of conflict and skimped on the RP. Friends one day, attacking the next kind of thing. However, the outcome wasn't kept secret. I do remember Aeris in chat saying how surprised he was to be banned from a town for randomly attacking people in it. He was expecting to have little or no consequences. Maybe a further indication that things are not clear enough?
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

I have an example where a Town Ban was lifted. A Feb weeks ago there was some trouble with the Charakter ham ubarku at runewick (just search the runewick thread). After some incidents the Charakter was baned - but managed to get the ban lifted again after he convinced two People ingame that things will change. So surprise surprise! A ban wich was Set because of ingame reasons, lifted After ingame efforts of that character and Not because of constant ooc complaining.

Ps i could also remember Not a single thing how bob for example tried to get rid of that ban.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Mir scheint es als sein neben mir noch einigen Anderen unklar wie das "System" von Bannen funktioniert, bzw wie der Rahmen oder die Regeln wenigstens ansatzweise dafür sind.
Seems to me that some players did not know how the "system" of banns are realy works, what the rules are or what actions are bringing a bann with.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Fooser i acknowledge that you are not satisfied by the situation. I m not satisfied withouth a option to ban chars from towns. As you may see "good" is a question of point of view. So if you ask me for example of a town ban ending in anything good, i would say (nearly) any i had ever suggest. Anyway it does provide many option of roleplay. For the current example i will give some examples what you could try to change the situation:
  1. Speak with / bribe / influence the chancellors that they may negotiate to lift the ban
  2. become a town official by yourself to negotiate the ban
  3. Bribe the Don to speak for your char
  4. Get something Runewick want/needs to bribe/blackmail them
  5. Start an IG(!) campaign against runewick to build pressure
  6. influence Cadomyr to work as facilitator
  7. influence a Runewick citizens to work as facilitator
However, every attempt to solve the problem ig will cause rp and dynamic events ig. Complaining ooc with false implicates and similar methods will cause nothing but frustration.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

GolfLima wrote:Mir scheint es als sein neben mir noch einigen Anderen unklar wie das "System" von Bannen funktioniert, bzw wie der Rahmen oder die Regeln wenigstens ansatzweise dafür sind.
Seems to me that some players did not know how the "system" of banns are realy works, what the rules are or what actions are bringing a bann with.
Die Charaktere mit Rängen über sieben können über ein tool andere charktere 24h lang bannen. Für längere bans müssen sie eine begründete anfrage an den Stadtführer bzw die entsprechenden GMs schicken. Die GMs entscheiden dann gemeinschaftlich ob und ggf. zu welchen Bedingungen der char langfristig aus einer Stadt gebannt wird.

The chars with rank 7 and up can ban chars for 24h out of a town via a tool. Long term bans they have to send a reasonable request to the town leader / town gms. The GMs decide then together if and under which condition a char gets banned for a longer term.
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

Kamilar wrote:Don't fool yourself. We're all keeping one eye on Azure.

That's right the secreates out I'm the Queen's illegitimate son come to take over mwhahahahahahahahahaha.

OK seriously. I agree not sure what brawn reason. Can't remember he told me once. But my point is it seems when it is on the other foot some people want to complain. I say play the game and let's move on cause honestly. If you want them to rp like they supposed to we all be making new characters. I'll explain.

Cadomyr is a monarchy. If you insult the leader. There is no ban but death off with your head.
Galmajr freedom? Sure but mafia freedom you would get one severe warning from the don then you would.be sleeping with the fishes. Why do you think there are so many fish in galmajr.
Runewick archmage doesn't see past his books so the bearer run the show. A secreates organization that would just make you disappear or.brainwash you.

So be glad they just ban you. And again nothing personal. Just my opinions
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Djironnyma wrote:Re: Really?
GolfLima hat geschrieben:
Mir scheint es als sein neben mir noch einigen Anderen unklar wie das "System" von Bannen funktioniert, bzw wie der Rahmen oder die Regeln wenigstens ansatzweise dafür sind.

Die Charaktere mit Rängen über sieben können über ein tool andere charktere 24h lang bannen. Für längere bans müssen sie eine begründete anfrage an den Stadtführer bzw die entsprechenden GMs schicken. Die GMs entscheiden dann gemeinschaftlich ob und ggf. zu welchen Bedingungen der char langfristig aus einer Stadt gebannt wird.

The chars with rank 7 and up can ban chars for 24h out of a town via a tool. Long term bans they have to send a reasonable request to the town leader / town gms. The GMs decide then together if and under which condition a char gets banned for a longer term.
:arrow: schade, das solche Informationen erst über Zufälle / Nachfragen in Foren u.ä. halbwegs bekannt werden. // bad, that such information will only get known by accident or with luck in such discussions
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

GolfLima wrote::arrow: schade, das solche Informationen erst über Zufälle / Nachfragen in Foren u.ä. halbwegs bekannt werden. // bad, that such information will only get known by accident or with luck in such discussions
Solche Abläufe sind in erster Linie erwachsen. D.h. es gab niemanden der es konzeptioniert und beschlossen hat und dann ggf. veröffentlichte sondern sie entstehen und bewähren sich aus der praktischen Übung. Alle erprobten Abläufe innerhalb des Staffs und sämtliche Features des Spieles genau zu dokumentieren, aufzuarbeiten, zu übersetzen und zu publizieren ist ein großer, nicht zu unterschätzender Aufwand, den Illarion nicht leisten kann. In Firmen gibt es dafür mit Qualitätsmanagern eigene Stellen die sich nur darum kümmern.
Man kann im allgemeinen davon ausgehen, dass alle relevanten Entscheidungen für das Spiel immer von mehreren Staffmitgliedern gemeinsam getroffen werden und immer das Ziel haben das Spiel als Ganzes zu fördern, einzelne Spieler oder Charaktere zu bevor- oder nachteilen ist nie Grundlage einer Staffentscheidung. In Einzelfällen kann man jedoch immer nachfragen. Der Staff war bisher immer bemüht alle Fragen auch zu internen Abläufen klar und offen zu erklären. Der gesamte Entwicklungsstrang ist OpenSorce.

Such processes grow out of the daily work of the staff. It is cause the lack of manpower not possible to document, work off, translate and publish any single process of the staffs work.
In general all relevant staff-decisions are made by a group of staff-members. They have ever the goal to improve the game as whole and never want to benefit or punish a single player. However its ever possible to ask, if you don’t understand a special process or decision.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

warum hinterläßt die Antwort bei mir nur das Gefühl, das dadurch nichts besser ist :(
why this answer dont make me feeling better :(