Let's talk about magic resistance.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Kugar

Let's talk about magic resistance.

Post by Kugar »

The ability to resist damage from magic casted by monsters is the issue I'd like to talk about. I've read all the stuff about all the different kinds of magic that will be introduced into the game but let's just focus on the arcane stuff that is actually in the game right the now.

We need magic resistance back. I know that the idea going around is that the attribute willpower will determine how much someone can resist magical casts but I'm pretty sure that it won't be the sole integer of the system, right? For a moment I'll just assume it is and tell you how silly that is - someone is not just born with the innate ability to resist magic. Thus it's silly. I have enough confidence in the developers to assume that it's not the case and that actually it will only help the math of values and how good you are at resisting magic just like the other attributes... anyway, I digress too much so let's get to the point.

In my opinion (as a player), magic resistance as a skill (or many skills like the armour situation ie light, medium and heavy) makes sense and should definitely happen. And, since monsters who can cast magic are pretty prevalent in the game already, it should happen soon. Many of us players already have characters with the magic resistance skill pre VBU, so it should be brought over into this build of the game (whereby you get a message on logging in and you get to pick which of the magic defenses you want to assign the values ie arcane, etc, etc - just like we got the choice with the armours). It was pretty hard to bump that skill up, so it would be nice if it will still be used and not prove that it was a complete waste of time in the first instance. Players will love you for it.

How would one gain a skill in magic resistance, you ask? Well, in my opinion it would be skilled up just like the armour skills are skilled up. You get casted on, you learn from it. Easy. But that sounds weird, right? No, not if it was made normal in game by players opening a section of the magical training academies that would offer this class. Call it magical endurance, or something, whereby characters put themselves through intense physical trials and put their bodies through hell in order to come out the other side stronger, better, faster, more productive you get the point. Not for the weak hearted.

Currently, sure, it's fun that everyone is running away scared from the dragons breath and people are falling like flies in terror. I know the devs are busy with alot of stuff but I hope that magic resistance is something that can be looked at soon and I'm just telling you I'm in favour of keeping the old magic resistance skill in whatever shape or form as I said earlier.

End of rant, feel free to add to it and continue the conversation. I'm just suggesting, not complaining, so please do not flame me.

Cheers.
Jupiter
Developer

Re: Let's talk about magic resistance.

Post by Jupiter »

Hi,

we already have a mantis task for that: http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=11108

Best is if you contribute your ideas there, so we can keep it in one place.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Magic resistance is under discussion and will be treated with Milestone III.

Keep one thing in mind: A skill won't mean you are immune to magic at one point. It is much more likely that unskilled characters will suffer even more from magic than now. Resistance does not mean we will remove the threat but you'll have to grind that skill, too. Just to make that point clear - if you want to see magic damage reduced, then we have to reduce magic damage and not introduce a skill.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Magic shouldn't be reduced :) We just need to get better at defending against it I think. I'm totally against immunity to magical power.

Copied and pasted my rant into Mantis...

Edit: Shortened rant in Mantis and just stuck to main points for a (slightly) less annoying read. You've all covered most of it already, so I'll start checking Mantis more often before creating new topics.