Galmair is op: A Rant on Developer Favouritism

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hew Keenaxe

Re: Galmair is op: A Rant on Developer Favouritism

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Get off this!
If we had 200 regular players, better yet 2000 players instead of 20, this wouldnt even be a problem. Promote, Promote, Promote. Player count fixes this, you cant build an economy on 20 players.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

* Galmair: lvl7 char
* number of mag.stones (saphire and obsidians converted in lvl 1 mag gems)

year 45: 5 - 5 - 32 - 16 - 18 - 16 - 21 - 18 - 5 - 25 - 9 - 5 - 5 - 7 - 4 - ? ((sorry no numbers for Mas // bold - donation of more than 85 gold as i know // tax payed 9 gold 40 silver 98 copper))
year 46: 4 - 3 - 5 - 18 - 10 - 9 - 11 - 13 - 6 - ((tax payed 4 gold 76 silver 54 copper))

(( have a statistic for this char since Findos 40 ))
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Dear all,

this is indeed a very interesting, helpful and constructive thread. I appreciate the discussion. From the title, I suspected a ranting on favouritism, so I almost missed this thread.

Let me first state that I also think that Galmair is somewhat "overpowered" with current game design. This is not by intention but the result of some restrictions we have and certain things not yet being implemented as planned. I was quite surprised about some of the points that were brought up initially, as I would put aspects on top of the list, mentioned further below. My perspective differs slightly on one aspect: My general approach is not to play "whack-a-mole" and now nerf Galmair to its death. I think it is fun playing in Galmair, isn't it? Instead, we should take a look at what benefits Galmair offers other cities don't offer and provide those or other benefits to the other cities as well!

Concerning the ranks, rank 8, 9 and 10 are given by GMs and fall under their control. Rank 11 is for the faction leader him/herself, only. You can see this clearly from the title. If any other character has this rank, something went wrong and should be corrected by the GM of the faction. The gem output is scaled by the rank, that is true. The effect of the rank is quite high. A rank 7 character (highest rank without GM) gets 3.5 times the gems of a level 2 character (lowest rank that gets gems). Or a rank 6 character gets twice the gems of a rank 3 character. At this moment, I consider this to be quite fair. The ranks 8, 9 and 10 are special ranks under GM control. Rank 2-7 are the baseline and should be considered. I am open to any proposals, but at this moment, I see no major issue here.

On dungeons, we currently have no true dungeon control/development plan in place. It is just a matter of fact that we have too few dungeons and those dungeons we have lack content as in quests, riddles and reasons to go there. So any new dungeon is appreciated. Nevertheless, we should have a plan and proper documentation of current dungeons to derive what dungeons (level, location) are missing.

The level 7 restriction shall hold for monsters on the surface. So no level 7 monster or even higher should spawn on the surface, including caves and castles with a door that leads to the rest of the surface map. In other words, to find a level 7 monster, you need to go down a ladder or take a ferry. This ladder should, obviously, not be too close to a city as new player should not jump into the dungeon of doom after ten minutes of playing. Please report any level 7 monsters on the surface to me!

Mining will indeed change a lot. Instead of useless stones "watering" the mines, we'll have dedicated sources for each type of resource, including stones. The number of these sources (rocks) will determine how much you can "harvest" from a mine in a given time. Cadomyr's mines will simply have less such rocks, but the quoted "nerf" of Cadomyrian mines will vanish. Mining will be more convenient and less time consuming. We will apply this approach to all gathering actions, by the way. Distinct sources will be used, just like sand pits and the described rocks, for all gathering actions. From this, we expect to have fewer imbalances and much more control over the material influx. Rare materials will be rare and common materials will be common.

Goldsmithing will indeed become a primary craft for Galmair. This is due to a simplified yet more robust approach we have chosen for the craft distribution. Instead of treating every craft individually, we have sorted the crafts into packages that share the same static tools, resources and sometimes traders. So all crafts that require stuff from a mine are put into the "rock package". Static tools (anvil, forge) are available in the city that gets that package either as primary or secondary package. The same holds for the "earth package", the "thread package", the "tree package", the "farmland package" and so on. The distribution of these packages follows mostly the current craft distribution, so no major changes are ahead. Cadomyr will still have goldsmithing, but then as secondary craft. This will mainly affect trader prices, but no static tools.

Galmair has a great benefit from being primary "rock" city, secondary "tree" city and secondary "farmland city". As every craft shall be supported by two cities, such a "favoured" city will always be the result, no matter what distribution we use. If we e.g. take away one package from Galmair and give it to another city, that city will be the new "OP city". So my approach is not to change the whole game without any benefit to balance out something that is imbalanced in any case, but to strengthen those craft packages that are deemed "not so important". Tailoring and glassblowing are two such crafts that are not supported by Galmair. Tailoring will get many new items and it is planned to give cloth items a use beyond paperdolling. For the "earth package", we plan to add pottery as a craft to produce clay items. We are constantly looking for more proposals how to make underrepresented crafts more attractive.

As already described by others, the prices and resources for many items, especially gold smithing items, will be rebalanced. Whoever made the recipes for rings etc. did not take the item prices into account. In the past, crafting recipes were made up with realism in mind, resulting in the current problems and issues. This time, we add the consideration of the profit margin. All crafts will be comparable "profitable" in terms of generated value. Of course, there'll be crafts that result in great items such as blacksmithing with very high value while even a high end bottle will stay cheap. But producing the high end bottles will take significantly less time than the uber sword of doom and needs less material. So in the end, there will be no craft that is a license for printing money and no craft that destroys value because of the products having less worth than the resources. Not everything will be "equal" (=boring) but reasonable.

All this is part of development milestone II. We will not go for dirty solutions this time. We will not adjust imbalanced things to other imbalanced things to make them even more imbalanced. This would create tons of work in future, so it's no easy solution. As manpower is extremely limited, we want to avoid any future rebalancing round because of mistakes we do now. The additional workload to make things right is comparable low. In other words, to adjust some prices takes as much time as to adjust many prices if the prices are based on a reasonable assumption. We do not "hand tailor" things, we use principles and formulae ;-). Applying a formula on 10 items takes as much effort as on 100 items. It is the formula that requires effort.

From this thread, you can conclude that many of the development actions we do these days are not related to write hundreds of lines of cryptic code. It is all about common sense, making up reasonable principles and pursuing a greater goal. Identifying problems where two aspects of the game do not fit each other is extremely helpful. If anyone wants to help us devs to finish this work at the soonest, you are invited to join the flock!
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected rank 11 for faction leaders
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Allow me to be cynically butthurt after that.

Galmair does have 4 GMs in difference to the other settlements. Two of them operate as regular player characters with ranks they never should have gotten, for several years by now. Assigning those surplus GMs to other settlements (as when one of the other primary GMs is absent for an extended period) has not even been considered by the gm/dev team. There is clearly no favouritism involved.

The Galmarian production chain from food, over mining and woodwork to both branches of smithing, which does barely require any trade with other settlements, is no problem. Goldsmithing is moved to Galmair as a primary craft. Galmair is op by design.

Well... great.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Estralis Seborian wrote: Concerning the ranks, rank 8 and 9 are given by GMs and fall under their control. Rank 10 is for the faction leader him/herself, only. You can see this clearly from the title. If any other character has this rank, something went wrong and should be corrected by the GM of the faction. The gem output is scaled by the rank, that is true. The effect of the rank is quite high. A rank 7 character (highest rank without GM) gets 3.5 times the gems of a level 2 character (lowest rank that gets gems). Or a rank 6 character gets twice the gems of a rank 3 character. At this moment, I consider this to be quite fair. The ranks 8 and 9 are special ranks under GM control. Rank 2-7 are the baseline and should be considered. I am open to any proposals, but at this moment, I see no major issue here.
Correction, rank11 is for the faction leaders only http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=37974
Tyan Masines

Post by Tyan Masines »

Which craft exactly that actually has any productive output, either in useful item and/or gold yield, will Cadomyr get once it also loses GS?

Armors will be distributed between Runewick and Galmair (Goldsmithing, Smithing + Tailoring).

Weapons will be distrubited between Runewick and Galmair (Woodcraft + Smithing).

Cooking + Baking? Runewick and Galmair.

Galmair players arguments why Cadomyr has an advantage was that they _could_ block the availability of a merchant selling goldsmithed items. It was the only argument I supported as well, as should most Cadomyr players since it is a realistic possibility. Now Galmair is supposed to get this merchant, too. It might make sense from a distribution by certain crafting types, but it certainly makes no sense when it comes to fairness, at any rate. Cadomyr is already a town heavily relying on import of goods, exports of coin / favors. Keep in mind that when you nerf the gold yield from merchants with an update, Cadomyr's buying power will decrease (as will any towns), but if the buying power of a place relying on imports decreases, that place dies.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Cadomyr will be come the primary tailoring town I believe. I am not sure what else. They sheep spawns have already been changed for that.
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

Q-wert wrote:Galmair does have 4 GMs in difference to the other settlements. Two of them operate as regular player characters with ranks they never should have gotten, for several years by now. Assigning those surplus GMs to other settlements (as when one of the other primary GMs is absent for an extended period) has not even been considered by the gm/dev team. There is clearly no favouritism involved.
I don't understand your point. Maybe you try it without cynicism because it doesn't help your arguments. Since when has Galmair 4 GMs? And if we would really favour Galmair, there would be little reason to turn down player's requests, which clearly would have harmed any balance intension. I don't say that Illarion is in a perfect state. Neither the balance, which is according to my observation very dynamicial and depends on player's activities. I expect similar arguments about another town in few months. ;-)
Yes, as a GM responsible for Galmair I care more for Galmair and they player's who play there but the assumption that we would favour is really based on little knowledge. Please keep your cynicism for yourself and stay construvtive.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

To clarify: Cadomyr will not lose goldsmithing. Just the NPC prices will get lowered. A secondary craft is supported in a town, so you'll be able to smith everything, just like now - plus tons of new products we will add. Note also that goldsmithing won't be a license to print money anymore.

Tailoring will be (is?) primary in Cadomyr, indeed. This means you can craft every armour in Cadomyr, cloth, leather and metal. Plus every metal weapon as long as you get the handles. Runewick has tailoring as secondary plus woodworking as primary. This offers light armour (will all be tailored items in future) plus all wooden staffs and bows. Not a lot, but sufficient for a town of scholars and (in future) mages. Galmair seems to have it all, but the lack of leather and cloth will hamper its options for armours. Galmair will still have a little bonus on crafting. Still, we will make other crafts as the galmarians more attractive.

Please note that the resources do not yet fully reflect all this and work is not finished. The interdependence of crafts will also be reduced, so you'll be able to e.g. carve handles without leather and iron.
Zephyrius

Post by Zephyrius »

Q-wert wrote:Allow me to be cynically butthurt after that.

Galmair does have 4 GMs in difference to the other settlements. Two of them operate as regular player characters with ranks they never should have gotten, for several years by now.
What.

Slightly and Teflon are the only two GMs in Galmair.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Zephyrius wrote:Slightly and Teflon are the only two GMs in Galmair.
My bad. The status of the character Oxiana had me confused there.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Maybe cadomyr characters shouldn't be scaring off other cadomyr characters and they'd have a larger gem output amongst other things, cadomyr was booming for a short while then shenigans happened and a large portion of their citizens left, now there's this "rant" as far as gm favortism, Galmair rulers don't give citizens gemmed swords and special items for every little task, sure they have events like the dark hole race, but why is this even a post??? Lulz runewick is underpowered in resources but they never put up an argument about it. I liked playing in cadomyr but left due to out of character reasons not fit to say here for fear of inciting ridiculous flame wars.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Side note: The surge of people leaving back in the day did not impact the Cadomyrian gem output. Quite the opposite. And I for myself rather play in a smaller, homogeneous group than in a huge, unorganized and interfighting blob. Cadomyr as it is right now is rather fine in regards of player activity. Although the ressource situation (which has been altered in favour of Galmair more than once, and what the original post was in parts about) could be way better. But, hey, things are on the way to be somewhat rebalanced, even if Galmair will still being given the largest piece of the cake.
Galmair rulers don't give citizens gemmed swords and special items for every little task.
I am quite curious on that one. What tasks were gemmed weapons and special items handed out for?
Last edited by Q-wert on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

When a cadomyrian citizen committed a crime and the queen demanded the character be taken in for punishment, the char turned themselves in and characters involved were given a high level sword with slight gem set... For doing literally nothing.

This was not long ago and I have no qualms about it, however when I hear of gm favoritism for Galmair this gives me a chuckle .
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Also note Galmairians pay massive amounts of gold to elect and become a high ranking official for only an IG year, whereas a cadomyrian just has to schedule a little training or a treasure hunt.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Mephistopheles wrote:When a cadomyrian citizen committed a crime and the queen demanded the character be taken in for punishment, the char turned themselves in and characters involved were given a high level sword with slight gem set... For doing literally nothing.

This was not long ago and I have no qualms about it, however when I hear of gm favoritism for Galmair this gives me a chuckle .
Well.. As the player of the, currently, highest ranked player character in Cadomyr, all I can say is that my character has never received any gemmed or ungemmed items like that from a Cadomyrian GM. Nor any other "favor"s besides the rank she has worked up for years and help with quests she has hosted.

I can't comment on the specific occasion you mentioned, as I was not there and have no idea what the circumstances were, although it sounds strange for a GM to gift a slight set of gems.
I have seen GMs give out custom descriptions for weapons that are already gemmed by the player, though, such as Ssar'ney's staff.
Perhaps that is what happened back then, too?

Oh and I'm not taking any sides here in the debate of whether or not Galmair is being favored more than Cadomyr besides the obvious, I don't play enough in Galmair to have an educated opinion of it.
Tyan Masines

Post by Tyan Masines »

I don't recall anyone getting gemmed weapons either. I call misunderstanding there in fact, Mephy. All people got were weapons which had some yellow text added. I for one got a merinium plated longsword (lvl 100 slashing I think) once with some description, but not one gem in it. And at that time I already had plenty of lvl 100 slashing weapons so it was nothing more than a gimmick, but hardly op or game breaking. Plus, I gave that item back to a GM a while later, for RP reasons. So if you were referring to that case (I know it stirred up trouble back then and that's the only reason I even comment on things), that was the whole story.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

It happened, but I didn't post it to argue I posted to prove a point. This is the express reason why I did not put the names of characters and gm involved.

Cadomyr IS lacking in resources but ranking and gm favoritism are not something that should even be discussed about cadomyr, the city which you used to be able to get rank 7 in a few hours, the city where you keep your high ranks if you earned them, I can go on and on about how cadomyr used to be overpowered and several situations of favortism that perhaps you guys missed.

I dislike gm favortism as much as the next player, but in Galmair? I don't see it. So if there's a lack of resources (which there is) then talk about that, not this supposed favortism.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

In regards of being gifted stuff with gems: I did play for quite a while, more than a continuous year as a Cadomyrian leadership character. And not 'once' I was gifted anything by the Cadomyrian gms. The mentioned staff Ssar'ney got from another player character, who got the description change (not the staff, nor the gems in it; also was a non Cado-GM granting it) for a well rolreplayed mass and a sizeable sacrifice of pure elements and magical gems. I am not aware of gifts having been handed to anyone since we had a change in gms for Cado last year. If you want to prove me wrong, go ahead. But offer some more than 'it happened'.

For the other: One does not keep ones leadership rank once earned in Cadomyr. Not any more. One month of inactivity with no event held (which by the way seems to be just fine in Galmair) is now enough to be booted out of office. In case you have not taken a look on the quest list lately, the players of the Cadomyrian leadership characters work their asses off to do player quests and keep people entertained and substitute for the gm inactivity over at their settlement, that is somewhat more than scheduling a little arms practice or treasure hunt.

And one thing you might have missed: The title of the topic is 'A Rant on Developer Favouritism'. It is about Galmair having been altered a big deal several times in its favour by hand in difference to Estralis' promoted concept of the use of formulae, to some portion about the unbalanced craft distribution, dungeons plopping up around near Galmair more than anywhere else and a lack of a fair rank distribution concept for leadership characters over the settlements.
It actually does not have all too much to do with gms, you might notice.
Last edited by Q-wert on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

I actually regret ever stating anything about the gifting of items seeing as to how provoking it is, please then forget I wrote anything about that. Also my bad,I saw a discussion you had somewhere about Galmair gms giving special items and having more quests. (not that they have more people to please, or anything like that. Or that they've developed a tradition such as the Dark hole race) So I thought you threw in gms into this rant of yours.

Galmairian chancellors are booted if they are inactive for two weeks unless they give notice, in my case I did that (my apologies for going on vacation and then losing my internet, I actually wanted to do alot ingame but as you can understand people have real lives, still doesn't mean they don't have consequences for disappearing ig)

The Alkaltut remake was fairly recent as is the gold mine in Hammerfall, how the hell is that developer favortism directed at Galmair, we got a rat man dungeon that doesn't even give alchemists the special recipe, and a den of lizards, oh and we quite frequently have to deal with Schnellbeil dwarves taking our mine and causing damage to our city.

The Akaltut dungeon literally took months to do, if it's dungeons you're complaining about, then you have zero appreciation for the massive effort it took for them to do that. Literally the most immersive dungeon in the game is at Cadomyr's doorstep.

You guys also had the bounty Npc before any of the other towns allowing for faster ranking due to two daily quests.

Maybe Cadomyr players and gms should seek to promote culture and tradition like annual tourneys and focus on actual honor, maybe try not to push away all the other players with out of character banter amongst other things.
Tyan Masines

Post by Tyan Masines »

Galmair as well as Cadomyr as well as Runewick had its ups and downs, and looking at it from a today's position I conclude that it was never really about the way the players behaved, but rather chance. Chance as in, which player decides to play which character when. It comes and goes in waves. So we shouldn't talk about that here, but handle it all IG. This topic was nice to see what people think about IG economy on a technical level, though. After that, it really did turn into ranting. And quite frankly, I can't hear this stuff about 'you had all the NPCs first' anymore. That's almost ancient history now, and most people who actually benefitted from that have either mothballed their characters or stopped playing. It is true that right after VBU, one could make it to Count or whatever in two weeks in Cadomyr. But I am currently trying to rise in rank and I can tell you, the NPCs were nerfed, at least the daily ones. Still plenty of quests to go around otherwise, but only if you're new in town. ;) Also, one always had to actively pursue rising in rank at all times, there were people who came in after VBU and never made it to more than knight, despite the abundance of NPCs and quest. Now, less talking on the boards, more playing.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Maybe cadomyr characters shouldn't be scaring off other cadomyr characters
That's an in game matter.
Maybe Cadomyr players and gms should seek to promote culture and tradition like annual tourneys and focus on actual honor, maybe try not to push away all the other players with out of character banter amongst other things.
Have you considered how your tone might drive players away, too? For such a small playerbase, there's way too many arguments here. I think there needs to be a little more consideration all round. If you don't like Cadomyr, that's fine. Other people do and it has a decent chunk of the current playerbase, so let's leave the politics in game and be civil to each other out of the game.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

I have considered my tone, went from zero to one hundred real quick. However I will take up my personal slights with the person who issued them, so then my apologies to the other players I may have effected. I was much too general and blunt.

Anyway I think my point is clear enough. Cadomyr has dungeons and favor, just needs resources and enrichment.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Does anything ever stay IG in Cadomyr?
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Maybe it's the sand in my eyes, but since I started slayin' n 'playin' in Cadomyr mostly, instead of Galmair, I didn't see any ooc bs. Illarion has always had ooc bs, I know that, but I haven't seen it in Cadomyr. a)Maybe things are getting better or b)my oh so gracious and honourable presence has vanquished this blight from the once plagued desert realm. These are the only two possibilities.

I played in Galmair for a long time and, trust me, there was some ooc crap. Pretty much made me leave the game for a while because I don't want to deal with people's bad attitudes (not you, mephy, btw). It's not so much the towns but when two players or more start to actually dislike/hate each other ooc. It spills into the game and makes it uncomfortable for everybody else. Happened in old Illa, will happen in new Illa. Probably happens in Illa in other dimensions. If only characters in game could hate each other so bad. That kind of feud would be worthy of a movie directed by Michael Bay.

Edit: I guess this topic and the stuff about fish can be considered ooc bs, but that stuff is basically child's play compared, really.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Kugar wrote:b)my oh so gracious and honourable presence has vanquished this blight from the once plagued desert realm.
Surely that has to be it ;)

Though in all seriousness (Not that I doubt Exelous having a astonishing affect on Cadomyr), this discussion about whether or not things are staying in game, in either Cadomyr or Galmair, seems to be taking a bad and rather accusatory turn(Not that I think you are accusing each other, but it rather seems to be turning into a "My dad is stronger than yours." "My town is more in character than yours." type of discussion), maybe we should get back to the constructive feedback we had at first?
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Kugar wrote: ... so let's leave the politics in game and be civil to each other out of the game.
(laßt die "Politik" ig und seid fereundlich und nett zueinander außerhalb des Spieles)
Annabeth wrote:... but it rather seems to be turning into a "My dad is stronger than yours." "My town is more in character than yours." type of discussion), maybe we should get back to the constructive feedback
(aber die Diskussion scheint sich in eine "Mein Vater ist stärker als Deiner" zu verwandeln - vielleicht können wir zu einem konstruktiven Feedback zurückkehren)

:arrow: hope all will read this :!:
(hoffentlich lesen das Alle)

(( ach ja, und schade das ´mal wieder Alles nur in ENG geschrieben wurde ..so schließt man immer ein paar Leute aus ))
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Put it this way, during the tutorial, there's great written descriptions for Runewick, and Cady, but when it comes to Gailmair there is hardly more than two sentences, which doesn't describe the benefits they may gather from coming to that town. If this is an debate about code and goods, fine and bonnie, I'm not going to touch that. But when it comes to favoritism, most of the newbs I've helped went towards Cady, not Gailmair. Would I call that favoritism on the developers part? Och no, we know there's problems in the game, that's why promotion isn't being the top titled task.

Give the folk time to work on their game, and silly imbalances like these won't be a problem.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I have been a little confused on the purpose of this thread hence mainly quiet.... to be fair no town is perfect, each has something another doesn't, this is according to which player you talk to :wink: . One doesn't like another town due to yadda yadda etc etc. ( I personally have a char in all three towns and one outlaw )

For "let's balance resources better"...I believe that suggestion could be placed in a proposal thread with exact discussion of how.. yet it is currently being worked on at present: "The staff is made up of volunteers and we are working as fast as we can but things take time." This in relation to resources and dungeons alike.

If there is something that needs to be done sooner, Illarion is a great game because ANYONE is welcome to join and do it! This is very rare in most games. Another victim.. *coughs* volunteer is always welcome! http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=35766 though the post is a little old.. contact Evie for mapping. Hope to see more decide to help.. the more the merrier.

If there is a problem with a particular staff there are also resources: http://illarion.org/community/us_contact.php

Sooo..I appreciate those that mention to calm any flaming.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

I don't understand something. I get that some people are unhappy about how magical gems are distributed or found. But why do they not trade what they do have with others when asked? My character has been struggling for months, in game months to try and find anyone to trade with. Today, at the fair, finally someone is willing to trade for one latent. Only one. At this rate it will take many years to get a set together. And all she wants is a set of limited stones. This is beyond frustrating and, for a fighter character, about to make her swim off to other shores.

I don't think it is that gems aren't being found or given at tax time, is it that people just refuse to trade? Why are the stones of your own town so important to hold onto?