Change whisper range?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Reduce whisper range

Poll ended at Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Leave whispering range at 2
60%
Reduce whispering range to 1
40%

Total votes: 42

Vilarion
Developer

Change whisper range?

Post by Vilarion »

Constantly I am being asked to reduce the whisper range.

Currently, when whispering, you can be heard on any tile that is up to two steps away (range 2).
I could reduce this to range one, which would mean that whispering could only be heard on each of the 8 tiles around you (range 1).
Aegohl

Re: Change whisper range?

Post by Aegohl »

In my opinion, I think just because you hear a whisper in a technical sense doesn't mean you should automatically roleplay that you heard it. When people #me whispering in someone's ear and I happen to catch it, I tend to ignore it because they gave an rp reason why I shouldn't be able to hear it. I want to be able to whisper to a group without having to have them crowd on every open tile around me directly one space away just as an example. I don't think it's a good idea to take away functionality because people abuse it with half-ass rp. Instead we should encourage whole ass rp. =)
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Did I bribe you to write down my opinion, Aegohl? :P
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Great minds/sexy studs think alike!
Ranwyln

Post by Ranwyln »

than i am a great mind/sexy stud too...

i tend to overhear whispers not directed at me too (like: Ranwylns leans over to XX and mumbles something)
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

#w it should be lowered. It's a whisper, not a mumble.
Yridia Anar

Post by Yridia Anar »

I overhear whispers and have no problem with it. No change necessary. There are much more important things to do. :P
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Some ignore whispers at a distance.. others don't and it can be confusing to new players whether they should ignore or not considering the engine allows the 2 tile. I would say less confusion on all to simply change back to one tile.

Apparently some use it to "talk quietly" which actually could be another option added besides the whisper.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

It never was one tile.

The old whisper range looked like this:
0 0 1 0 0
0 1 1 1 0
1 1 X 1 1
0 1 1 1 0
0 0 1 0 0

0 = out of range
1 = in range
X = origin of the whisper

I like the new range btw. It allows groups bigger than 4 people to have a private conversation.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:#w it should be lowered. It's a whisper, not a mumble.
You've never whispered to someone across a table from you? This will no longer be possible with this change. You will have to get up and go sit on their lap instead. You also won't be able to whisper from across the table to merchants anymore, so get ready to hear a lot of "((buy))" and "((sell))" when you're passing through the market. I'm sorry, but I think the players who want this changed are frustrated with people rping unfairly and not really considering how often they actually use the whisper distance every day.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

The whispering range is a double-edged sword.

Listen to a whisper from a larger distance always confuse me. In the most cases I don't know if the player intends me to hear or not.
On the other hand it allows to play if more than one RP is in sight or to talk during larger events.

Therefore I do not want to change ot. It is a quite talk.
Maybe an 'mumbling' to #m with the following Range (P loooks north / northeast)
The tile the char is look at and the very next on left and right.
00000 00000
0xxx0 00xx0
00p00 00Px0
00000 00000
So you can really tell a dedicated person something. Since your Char has to turned into that direction it is anyway visible as well.
Keva Bran
Cadomyr

Post by Keva Bran »

Does perception play a role in how well you here cause I have a char that perception is maxed so he uses his ears and other sense to see cause he is blind so he can hear a fly piss
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Keva Bran wrote:Does perception play a role in how well you here cause I have a char that perception is maxed so he uses his ears and other sense to see cause he is blind so he can hear a fly piss
no