Kooperatives Rollenspiel/Cooperative Roleplay

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Achae Eanstray

Kooperatives Rollenspiel/Cooperative Roleplay

Post by Achae Eanstray »

How can we better facilitate the roleplay with a dual language game?

I can think of a few ideas.

1. Allow more time between sentences and wait until you hear back from another, don't assume they are not going to say anything. They may be slow typers, they may be translating your sentence if speak another language, or simply be lagging.

2. If roleplaying with someone of another language remember how hard it would be for you to translate what they say and allow more time.. also allow the possibility the online translator is not giving the person a true picture of what you say.

Wie können wir das gemeinsame Rollenspiel in einem bilingualen Spiel fördern?

Hier sind zwei meiner Ideen:

1.) Lass etwas mehr Zeit zwischen deinen Sätzen und warte bis du eine Antwort erhälst. Nehm nicht direkt an, dass die andere Person nicht antwortet. Der anderes Spiel tippt vielleicht einfach ein wenig langsamer, oder übersetzt das Gesagte grade in seine Muttersprache, oder ist vielleicht am Laggen.
2.) Wenn du mit jemanden rollenspielst, der nicht in seiner Muttersprache spielt, behalte bitte in Erinnerung, wie schwer es wäre, wenn du übersetzen müsstest und gebe deinem Spielpartner mehr Zeit. Ebenso, dass ein Online Translator nicht unbedingt den wahren Sinn deiner Sätze übersetzen kann.
(thanks Jen for the translation!)
Banduk

Re: Kooperatives Rollenspiel/Cooperative Roleplay

Post by Banduk »

From my point of view there is another important point that causes misunderstandings and should be taken into consideration. It’s not the understanding of what a native said. It’s how the opposite talks back:

As a native speaker you should be aware a non-native speaker may have 2 or 3 expressions ready (or even none) to say anything where you immediately and fluently can use 30. And uses even these few simple words in the wrong context without knowing that.
So please try always a little to understand what person the character wants to play and don’t corrupt the foreign character just because the player cannot express it as perfect as yourself.

And please try to speak as an English orc your slang understandable. If I hardly understand the clear language, I'm lost in slang.

Just for comparison. If I play in my native language, my sentences are about 2 times the size of the English. And the grammar fits.

Ich glaube nicht, dass ich das hier in zwei Sprachen ausführen muss.
Achae Eanstray

Re: Kooperatives Rollenspiel/Cooperative Roleplay

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I would like to say.. we have a unique game, not only with the roleplay but the opportunity to play with people across the ocean and ones with different cultures. It provides us with the ability to offer a friendly hand and have some fun in the process..

Perhaps there are more positive suggestions so I'll bump this up to concentrate on "how to" "best practice" "things to try" rather then the negative.
This code of conduct forms a set of guidelines to show the kind of game climate and culture we would like to create in Illarion, where players are respectful, considerate and lenient with one another.

Adding a few threads on general roleplay also:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=39742
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=39136