First impressions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hew Keenaxe

First impressions

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Ok, so I'm back, or trying to be. I'll see how it goes.

So first off - Obviously there have been many updates in the last 6 months. So my start application wouldn't work. Downloading the new one took over an hour. If I was new to the game, I doubt I would of stuck that out.

Next - I was unable to find the NPC on tutorial island the teaches crafting, finally gave up and just went through the portal.

Next - What is with the mouse walk? It used to work fine for me. Now my character is schizophrenic. If I tap a place for him to go to, he walks in all directions, past the spot, back around, and finally, maybe ends up there. Leading with the mouse works better but he still reverses directions or wanders aimlessly sometimes.

Ok, that's all for now. Just finally made it into town. I will post more as I progress.

BTW - only 5 online, including me and a GM. :(
Hew Keenaxe

Re: First impressions

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Mouse walking seems to work better on main map than tutorial island, still not great though.

I love the new progress bars for skills.

The inventory and bags work much better than I remember. Easy to move items.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:So first off - Obviously there have been many updates in the last 6 months. So my start application wouldn't work. Downloading the new one took over an hour. If I was new to the game, I doubt I would of stuck that out.
What the hell? Exactly now slow is your internet connection?

The downloader is about 23MB large. (it contains the correct java version). The client itself is nearly 100MB large. But these aren't sizes in modern day computing where a youtube video is the same size and larger.

Was there a problem with the connection to the server or something?

Nitram
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Nitram wrote:
Hew Keenaxe wrote:So first off - Obviously there have been many updates in the last 6 months. So my start application wouldn't work. Downloading the new one took over an hour. If I was new to the game, I doubt I would of stuck that out.
What the hell? Exactly now slow is your internet connection?

The downloader is about 23MB large. (it contains the correct java version). The client itself is nearly 100MB large. But these aren't sizes in modern day computing where a youtube video is the same size and larger.

Was there a problem with the connection to the server or something?

Nitram
ok, to be clear, the downloader only took a minute. After opening it, it took near a hour to complete.
Yes I do have a slow connection, but not that slow. You mention YouTube, I can use it with no trouble. I also can watch live streamed video, like sports, with no trouble.
I average between 11Mbps and 26Mbps on wifi. Now IG my FPS is staying around 35 and pinging between 200 and 600 ms
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Your not alone I have the exact same problems with the movement,for me its terrible and if i click on a spot the character goes around and a round it even on walk mode or tries to double back etc, that plus what you have already mentioned makes the game almost unplayable for me unless i just creep around using the num pad walk.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

I noticed that there is some new things in Option - maybe something is wrong there ?

As for me it works fine, but I noticed the last update seems to have deleted my maps :P
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

A ping between 200 and 600 ms implies that there is a serious problem with your connection to the Illarion server. Either, your connection is generally bad or there is an issue with Illarion ;-).

To check this, you can do the following (on windows):

Start->Run->cmd
ping illarion.org
ping google.com

Compare the two average times you get. If they are roughly the same - your connection sucks ;-).
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Ufedhin wrote:Your not alone I have the exact same problems with the movement,for me its terrible and if i click on a spot the character goes around and a round it even on walk mode or tries to double back etc, that plus what you have already mentioned makes the game almost unplayable for me unless i just creep around using the num pad walk.
Ufe! :D
yea, mouse walk just doesn't work. I click a tile six steps away and my character wanders around covering twenty or so tiles and then still misses the mark by three tiles. So I click the same one again, and again and .... took five tries to get him to the original tile I selected.
The way he wanders I guess I'll be RPing the town drunk. :lol:
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Estralis Seborian wrote:A ping between 200 and 600 ms implies that there is a serious problem with your connection to the Illarion server. Either, your connection is generally bad or there is an issue with Illarion ;-).

To check this, you can do the following (on windows):

Start->Run->cmd
ping illarion.org
ping google.com

Compare the two average times you get. If they are roughly the same - your connection sucks ;-).
190ms to illarion.org
79ms to google.com

Illarion.org is a long way from Idaho. :wink:
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Try instead of ping - tracert. Then you can see at what step it slows down.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Ok, now I've played for 4 hours straight, here's my take....

Cool -
items going directly into my bag instead of my belt.
being able to craft out of my bag.
NPC repair menu staying open so I can repair many items without asking repair each time.

Not cool -
mouse walk. Although I have found that if I click on an feature, like a tree, I go right to the tree. If I click on the ground next to the tree, who knows where I'll end up.
I was IG for 4 hours straight and saw no one.

So, I was getting ready to quit for awhile when I noticed a nest. EGGS. Too cool. I love the little things. Think I'm going to play a little longer. :D
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:EGGS
They are indeed a valid reason to stay ingame. :D
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

I was IG for 4 hours straight and saw no one.

If I would not have to go to my Sis now - I just would log in only for you. Sadly my Characters are in Cadomyr, but I hope we see us soon !
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Alytys Lamar wrote:I noticed that there is some new things in Option - maybe something is wrong there ?

As for me it works fine, but I noticed the last update seems to have deleted my maps :P
I had to manually move my maps from the previous usr folder to just the char name folder.. mine happens to be .illarion/char now. Search in windows 7 for "illarion folder" and you should find them all. Hope that helps. Some I know have just left a blank map to start again also. :D

I am not sure everyone has this problem with maps either.

@Hew, I believe there are a couple of Mantis posts regarding movement, this is one: http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=10208
The "run like a rabbit" one is here also I believe http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=10144 though I wasn't aware of the click on tree get there and click next to the tree not go one..it may need to be on Mantis also.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Hew tick the walk/run mouse follow option it seems to have mitigated some of my troubles(still bad but not as terrible)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

This option basically enables that the distance of the mouse to the character controls if the character is walking or running. In any other case this is controlled by the run/walk toggle button.

Nitram
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Jupiter wrote:
Hew Keenaxe wrote:EGGS
They are indeed a valid reason to stay ingame. :D
Indeed eggs are great, through I miss the Option to make pancakes!
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

I've noticed a dramatic change in monster swarms. Still plenty to keep the challenge up but I don't feel like every monster on the map is rushing me every few steps. A very nice improvement. :D
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Alytys Lamar wrote:Try instead of ping - tracert. Then you can see at what step it slows down.
This was telling. In all takes 26 hops. Boise, Seattle, Denver, Dallas, Washington DC, Paris, Frankfurt, Munich.
If I mailed a letter it would have fewer stops. Not much I can do to improve this except move.
Thanks for showing me this test.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

You're welcome :) 26 steps are a lot and yes you can't do anything - sadly.

I still hope to catch you IG, maybe I can manage some free time at the weekend at the same time you play :P