New player help questions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Achae Eanstray

New player help questions

Post by Achae Eanstray »

This has come up time and time again and I think different people have different ideas. We all wish to encourage new players to stay.
  • How would you go about helping?
    How were you helped when new to the game?
    What do you do that you feel is the most helpful to encourage and keep players?
    What do you feel is the least helpful?
Remember, this is not flaming any particular player/char and "what they did that was so awful" nor even "this char was wonderful because they did..." so just give generalities but we could all get a genuine idea of exactly what would help the best in the long run.

The first time I played I almost didn't come back. It was some excellent roleplay but as a new player I wasn't ready to be robbed and ghosted by a thief :lol: . Finally when I returned, I was given a "job" to do gathering for a crafter and that helped me learn more then anything. I loved that "job" and still remember how proud I was bringing the items and getting my coins. You may have a totally different experience however...

How would you go about helping? Roleplaying and giving them "work" making them feel useful
How were you helped when new to the game? as above
What do you do that you feel is the most helpful to encourage and keep players? I really feel the roleplay is the magic of Illarion so would do my best to encourage and help with it.
What do you feel is the least helpful? Coin is fine, items given etc but it wouldn't keep me coming back.
Slightly
Gamemaster

Re: New player help questions

Post by Slightly »

How would you go about helping?
That would usually depend on the character I'm playing - a well established character can offer more practical help whereas if I was on a less established character I would offer company and try to work through problems facing the characters together (RP through those early quests). Things I've done before on my established characters have included showing them around town, giving some background on the politics/crafts etc, taking them to ig events, doing a little training (newbie fighting quests), offering easy jobs (resource gathering / basic processes like smelting) to help get them established.

First time I wasn't helped at all and ended up totally lost so I left... hence I think it's really important how we go about encouraging new players.
Second try I was immediately immersed in the game by some very good RPers taking me off to an ig event and showing me what the game could be. What was vital though is they didn't overwhelm my character - he was still mine.

Roleplay and support them to find their own niche.

Not giving a character space to grow.
Throwing coins/items at a character for nothing.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

As like Slightly, it mainly depends on the character I am playing at the time. If it is my main character, I try to find out what the character is looking to be.. fighter, crafter, etc. That character can then talk some about that subject or at least give a general idea of what it is like and names of people they can talk to. If the person in question is not in-game at that time. Most times I then offer work of some sort, usually since my character bakes I offer to buy fruit. Something, a noob character can do without tools and in relative safety and they earn their way. Due to mixed matched armor sets in the player set up right now, this character may also give a player beginning level 0 armor for their chosen type if they are a hunter. If I am on one of my lesser known and more unestablished characters, I still try to talk options with them where I can and give hints. These characters wont buy fruits but they may say, some people buy fruits, meats , hides etc sharing how they themselves make coins and offer suggestions to the new players. In any instance, I try to give the player some information and options and an understanding of what is going on. I remember when I first logged in.. it was very overwhelming.

I remember two distinct events that happened in the first 24 hours of my game play, and I am still shocked I kept playing. I was met by one really nice character who was helpful it seemed, I was fishing.. the only thing I had figured out how to do in the game engine. I had caught a map and was clueless as to what it was. The player vaguely explained and tried to buy it. I wouldn't sell and they went on about there way. Not long later I crossed by an orc who only wanted me to drop my bag and gear (this was preVbu), I gathered from an ooc comment by the orc and things said later. This was the same PO that had tried to buy the map, when I wouldn't sell he crossed my character with another of his characters trying to steal it. In game only a few hours, I had no idea systems for reporting such abuse.
The second event happened when I went to heal up from being crossed. The tutorial at that time said sitting by a fire would heal you. Fire making was the only other thing I could do besides fish! Earlier I had seen someone make a fire in the town street area, so I thought nothing of doing it for myself. The players then in the area started ridiculing my character and was belligerent because I lit a fire in the streets. These were the very same characters that was there before when the fire was there. One of them referenced their guard position on the town board, when I asked about it the all laughed and poked fun yet again. I ended up trying to then burn down Trolls Bane in my frustration and anger. I only found out about the forums and town boards a month or so later.
My character ending up hiding in vacant Green Briar for a very long time, abstaining from any interactions with others. As a Po, I assumed everyone in-game was either A. going to steal from me or B. make me a laughing stock. It was only a random chance meeting later with a another PO who was kind and actually helped and explained that gave me the courage to start rping and playing with others . Thanks Rafael :D

At first, help them through the battle of the adjustment to game mechanics. Then rping with the character in a way so they get an idea what the game is about and how their character may start fitting in. Giving them tips and suggestions and guidance cloaked in rp lines and stories to help them get a feel of what their character is coming into.

Not helping a character of a new Po, and normally you can tell when its the first character, for your characters own rp. I know sometimes its not in our characters rp to be helpful or kind. However, I think we need to be creative to get them the information. Sometimes it may take a little ooc. Say a newbie comes up and wants to know of alchemy and your dumb fighting warrior knows nothing. I wont power play my warrior knowing about it, instead I will ooc them about looking for quest such as the spring, tree, rock. I feel just saying nothing to help them understand is far worse than a quiet whispered ooc to help them on their way.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

I would continue to improve what information is provided by NPC and over the internet. However, the main goal should be for in game interaction, which can't happen until we have more people in game, more regularly, that are willing and able to interact. It takes a lot of time, effort, and energy to help a new player, pulling people out of RP for a time to help them.

Yes, well... I wasn't. People were rude and mean and unwilling to help at all. I was told to learn how to RP on more than one occasion and not told how to do that as people stormed off. I had people being mean quite often about what I did and how I did it. And, keep in mind, I arrived with Evie and went through all the things she went through. It's a wonder we stayed at all. We literally hid out in an empty town and learned how to survive on our own. We had no choice. We couldn't buy things from anyone. We had to make our own. Nobody would interact with us in a nice, kind way. I won't write more, I have no kind words to say.

1-First, I remind them that we were all new once as well, when they are struggling and overwhelmed and apologizing at each little mistake. I let them know that we are understanding and aren't looking to criticize, but are only looking to help them understand how it all works. Just try to learn one thing at a time. Communicating commands first usually, #o, #w, #s. Once we have that down, it's a positive thing, small celebration. They are usually trying to learn everything they can all at once. Slowing them down to the basics is huge. I like to let them know if they can learn the basics in the first week, they'll be doing very well. This will hopefully calm them.
2-I try to find work for them. Jobs that fit into their current status and role. For instance (don't be reading this my Don), the last two times into Cadomyr, Uhuru bumped into new smiths and asked them to make her tools that she needed and then she made sure she paid them a reasonable fee.
3-I also like to include them in what is going on. That means extra work, explaining what RP is happening, what happened in the past and why we are where we are now. Rather then just saying, it doesn't include you and ignoring them. Even talks around a depot can be fun for a new character if we take the time to immerse them in the RP and pull them in.
4-We will also take new hunters out on a hunt. Oh, not for anything big, but even small treasures can hook a new player in to see what else is out there. And talking with hunters about the monsters they may face someday, such as dragons and such, telling stories about a fire, that's always good fun! This should always include any recent wars, altercations, or potential upcoming issues.

Forcing myself on a new player. If someone wants to learn the game on their own, I let them. They want to go out into the wild and PG, even if it means landing on the cross five times a day, I let them. If they are having fun, I let them! They don't have to play the game my way, your way, or anyone's way but their own way. The thing I've learned is that everyone will come around to the RP aspect eventually. They all do as long as they stay in the game long enough. As we all noted, the game is overwhelming. Some learn things in a different order than others. Goodness knows I did. I don't try to dictate another's game play. What will be, will be. As long as they aren't actively interfering with ongoing RP, then who am I to get in their way?

Additional thoughts:
What will all of this look like once there are more people in game? I've been wondering about this. (A problem all devs are wishing for, I know.) Right now, just finding someone to help in game is difficult, but when we do have 50 people in game and they are immersed in RP and not wanting to break off to help, then what? During an event or something? Right now, with so few players, we all need to be helping with player retention. Hands down, we all have to help if we want this game to flourish. Even if that means just finding someone for a new player to talk with. But the day will come when that isn't everyone's responsibility.

I know many games have an interim state for new players to use until they are ready to enter the "real" world. I don't particularly like this idea. I've been kicking it around in my head, but it has too many negative aspects. The main being that it is just an extension of Noobia. We could have a city for new players, but would they leave and join the other realms? How would that work? If it isn't different, why have it? But I like the idea of new players helping other new players. But only if the older players could enter such a place as they wish to help out, rather then waiting for a prompt, telling them someone new has entered the land. All new players in one place could be very bad too. All RP could be tossed and it could turn to rubbish quickly.

I don't know... I have no good ideas.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Role playing is the most important for me, but if a new one bumps into you, you should give some tips ( even OOC for game mechanics ). Also I have atm a hard time to help since the game changed a lot and I returned not long ago. But what I know I can give in a RP-Way, Give some work and show NPC's for easy tasks.

I did had the great luck to had the idea to be a druid at the very first time 2006- and there was a good player base at the Grey Rose with Lennier ( you are still my hero : ) ) and it was german
I wasn't able to play in English without having a dictionary at my side... but the wonderful Cassy ( she will be forever my english heroine ) was so patient - it was a pleasure.
So the example of this 2 people ( and later some others like Jen ) encouraged me always to handle new players like this both did. Have Patient, support them and RP :)
I could play with Yridia and Aleytys my Visions - which I am still thankful for <3

As it was mentioned RP is the magic of Illarion, try to keep them with your own RP - making it worthwhile and interesting for them to interact

Let them play like they want - its their vision, you can not force them to play as you do. Don't let them hang in the air cause you have very *important* things to do

Beside the points above I am worried about the small player-base. Illarion was always a small game, but its really hard to see that most of the time just 3- 5 people playing. Beside some hrs in the evening, there are at best 12-15.
To have a flourishing game this base is far to small. Sure there are holidays and other things ( reading in the forum 3 players leaving did not help either ). But the old Illarion I know had a bigger base or I wouldn't be able to play Yridia
as leader for the druid and having the big quest with Aleytys. You did always find someone to play with. I wonder especially why we have so less german players - or is this a wrong impression ?
Anyway - I hope this can be solved or Illarion will die.
Alessaina

Post by Alessaina »

On my main character, whenever I meet a new player in game, I always attempt to include th in the current roleplay (if any is taking place). I also show them around town, ask the character questions about themself (where from, how came to this land, etc.), and even take them to the tavern even for a few drinks.

My redebut in May 2013 was the greatest. Ally had just lost her shirt in a fight against some wolves and she immediately received help from several characters. She was given tasks, ideas of things to do, and was shown around the other towns. It was a great experience and I'm so glad that I started out that way because it definitely kept me playing knowing that people wanted to actually roleplay and not just hit each other with swords.

Inclusion and roleplay. You don't want to force yourself on new players, but simply letting them know RP-wise that they do matter is a giant step in helping them and keeping them playing.

I'm in the same mind frame as Slightly. Just giving things away to them might seem nice and helpful, but it doesn't really teach them anything except that people will give them things. Its important that new players are able to establish themselves by learning, not by gifts.