Your computer capabilities

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

OpenGL Max texture size

Poll ended at Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:35 pm

16384x16384 or more // oder mehr
56%
8192x8192
33%
4096x4096
6%
2048x2048
3%
1024x1024
3%
512x512 or less // oder weniger
No votes

Total votes: 36

Nitram
Developer

Your computer capabilities

Post by Nitram »

Hello,

in order to improve the performance of the client (without kicking any players out of the game) I need a information regarding the computer you are playing one.

The important thing is the maximal texture size within the OpenGL context your device is able to handle.

There are multiple ways to know this value:
  1. You just know it.
  2. You look your graphic card up in that list: http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/repor ... XTURE_SIZE and tell me the group its in. The texture size is always the same in width and height. So for example the group 1024 means that your graphics device is able to handle textures of a size of 1024x1024 pixel. To find our your graphics device on windows, press the Windows Key and R (run) and type into the opened window "dxdiag". In the window that opens, choose the tab "display". The name of your graphic card is displayed at the very beginning.
  3. You use GLview http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.php. This small application allows you to find out the OpenGL capabilities of your graphics device. Once you installed and opened it you find a page with some general information. First system info, then OpenGL, then DirectX. In the OpenGL section there is a link that reads See details.... In the right part of the page that opens you find among the first lines the entry "Max texture size". The value behind, is the value I need.
I setup the poll so you can check multiple entries. Please do so in case you have multiple graphics devices and/or multiple computers you are using for Illa that support different sizes.

It would be really helpful if you could give me that information. I prefer that way to secretly having the client spy on your computer. :wink:

EDIT: Also please only test computers that are able to run the client now.

----------------

Hallo,

um die Leistung des Clients etwas zu verbessern (ohne irgendwen aus dem Spiel zu werfen), brauche ich eine Information in Bezug auf die Leistung des Computers auf dem ihr spielt.

Die Information die ich brauche ist die Maximale Texturgröße die eure Graphikkarten unter OpenGL verwalten können.

Um diese Information zu bekommen, gibt es verschiedene Möglichkeiten.
  1. Du kennst den Wert einfach.
  2. Du suchst nach deiner Grafikkarte in dieser Liste: http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/repor ... XTURE_SIZE und nimmst die Gruppe in der die Grafikkarte ist. Die Texturgröße hat immer die gleiche Höhe und Breite. Ein Wert von 1024 bedeutet also, das Texturen bis zu einer Größe von 1024x1024 Pixel verwaltet werden kann. Um unter Windows herauszufinden welche Grafikkarte du hast, drücke die Windows Taste zusammen mit R (Ausführen) und tippe in das Feld "dxdiag" ein. In dem Fenster, dass sich öffnet, wählst du den Tab "Anzeige". Der Name deiner Grafikkarte steht ganz am Anfang.
  3. Du benutzt GLview http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.php. Dieses kleien Programm liest aus welche Fähigkeiten die Grafikkarte hat. Sobald die Anwendung installiert und gestartet ist, öffnet sich eine Seite mit einigen Allgemeinen Informationen. Es gibt drei Abschnitte. System info, OpenGL und DirectX. Im OpenGL Abschnitt gibt es einen Link See details.... Drück auf diesen Link. Auf der nächsten Seite, im rechten Abschnitt steht relativ weit oben der Eintrag "Max texture size". Den Wert der dahinter steht brauche ich.
Ich habe die Umfrage so eingestellt, das mehrere Werte gewählt werden können. Nutzt das bitte wenn ihr verschiedene Grafikkarten und/oder verschiedene Computer habt auf denen ihr Illarion spielt.

Es wäre wirklich hilfreich, wenn ihr mir diese Information gebt. Ich bevorzuge diesen Weg, als den Client euch heimlich ausspionieren zu lassen.

EDIT: Bitte testet nur computer die jetzt in der Lage sind Illarion auszuführen.

Nitram
Nitram
Developer

Re: Your computer capabilities

Post by Nitram »

Important note: This value has nothing to do with your desktop resolution or the resolution you are playing at. It will always be larger and in most cases it will be significantly larger.

In wichtiger Hinweise. Der Wert der hier gesucht wird, hat nichts mit der Desktop Auflösung, oder der Auflösung mit der ihr Spielt zu tun. Der Wert wird immer größer sein und in den meisten Fällen sogar deutlich größer.

Nitram
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

While my computer displays at the 4096 level, I generally have to close everything else heavy on my ocomputer to play, and absolutely everything else if timing or lag is going to have a possibility of killing me. Otherwise I have been known to hit 2 or 1fps (as shown by the game itself), so I would probably be trying to turn down some of the settings if possible.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The thing is: The larger the textures, the more efficient the game engine is able to render the graphics. The details for this are in the way OpenGL draws the graphics to the screen. How ever if I can increase the used texture size from the current 1024 to a larger value, the render speed will very likely increase.

That is nothing you can/should/need to turn down.

Nitram
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

That's good to hear. I've had about enough of things that are needlessly too large for my crappy computer. Being poor has its disadvantages, you know. And this game already tends to slow down unbelievably slow on a lot of occasions (like a ping of +2000ms to +24000ms at times). I tend to attribute this to mostly my bad computer or distance to the server, but just saying to watch out for anything that might slow things down if you can.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Nitram wrote: I prefer that way to secretly having the client spy on your computer. :wink:
You wouldn't actually consider doing that, right? :(
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The values in ms does not indicate the rendering performance of the client.

If you got very large values there, your internet connection is the problem. The FPS value indicates the performance of the client. This value should be at 60 FPS for the client to run smooth.

@Karl:
No I would not consider this.

Nitram
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

I don't think my computer has ever been at 60fps, not for more than a few seconds at least. That said, I rarely have trouble with Runescape (for instance) so I know my computer /should/ have the power to run things of this level of complexity. Not sure what's going on here.

In my experience playability cuts off pretty sharply at 9FPS, and becomes copletely unplayable at about 3FPS. This is especially true when dealing with the possability of unwanted combat (when running becomes impossible) but is less of an issue during long term crafting or resource gathering (when you can set the character to the task and let server timing control how fast things are done rather than computer timing). Double clicking to move doesn't always work. And, even when you can move, the character only seems to move when the server gets the update of the button being pressed (weither this is actual button or game automatically picking the button with the auto-pathing feture) but the enemies are not likewise constrained. This makes a character who should have 50% more speed or more than enemies literally crawl away at speeds that allow two hits for every one space of movement you make.

And while I know my computer is crappy, I think the problem is mostly on the other end. I can play League of Legends with a Skype call going, generally no problem. I also play Aion (take a look if you want to see how processor intensive that game can be) and rarely have significant issues (rubber banding is the worst I get, and that is rare). I already mentioned Rune-Scape. All this to say, the processor load from this game is pretty high comparatively. All I'm asking is to not make it worse.
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

I hope I'm not being too forward in saying all of that. I like the game itself, even in its unfinished state. It can just be hard to play sometimes.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

My grafik card is abke to do 16384x16384
Aeternum

Post by Aeternum »

EnderDDT wrote:I hope I'm not being too forward in saying all of that. I like the game itself, even in its unfinished state. It can just be hard to play sometimes.
The client's using around 500,000 K memory for me, which is a bit less than Google Chrome.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Aeternum wrote:
EnderDDT wrote:I hope I'm not being too forward in saying all of that. I like the game itself, even in its unfinished state. It can just be hard to play sometimes.
The client's using around 500,000 K memory for me, which is a bit less than Google Chrome.
And your point is?
Aeternum

Post by Aeternum »

It doesn't seem like the client requires a very high load, as Ender said.
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

All I know is how much things slow down sometimes. I don't know why, if it is load or something else, all I know is that other things play (under the right conditions) but this game likes to slow down a lot.
Aeternum

Post by Aeternum »

Hrm... Well sounds fairly bad :( Maybe stick to just crafter chars? :P I have enough trouble without lag trying to get away from things trying to kill me, 9 FPS sounds terrifying >.<
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The texture sizes will be increased to 4096x4096. The two votes below that value are not valid (I talked to those who voted and found out that the values are not correct).
Due to the change the client the client performance improved as expected. The upgrade will be part of the next client update that is planned for today.

Nitram