Current Note

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mephistopheles

Current Note

Post by Mephistopheles »

I apologize if I come off too blunt here, but some things need to be stated, I am not attacking anyone nor am I trying to offend. Please do not take it that way.

It almost seems like a crisis, Noobs are coming and leaving just as quick, and the players are pissed, Outlaws are completly unplayable. Many say this is not the case but I ask, Have you tried? I know very well it takes time to rebalance and fix these things. But the current PvE system is ruining alot for players. There was always warriors who liked to do things solo ( I understand lv 9 creatures should not be solo'd, but lv 8s and under should be by max warriors, thats why they worked so hard to become maxed in the first place) They like to be able to go out and adventure when no one is around and then come back and roleplay when people are. You can't even make it to half of the shrines to devote to a god without a group of 10 or more. (Im not exaggerating) Maps are not profitable, Crafters can't sell equipment because average warriors have no money... we can go on and on and on... But the premise is.. people are saying "screw it" and leaving. If this isn't a problem then I don't know what is.
Uhuru

Re: Current Note

Post by Uhuru »

This begs the question, how should a warrior make his money? I see many making bricks in Galmair and that seems wrong. This was even before the pathfinding change.

I agree, not being able to get to places seems like an issue we need to address.
Tyan Masines

Post by Tyan Masines »

Uhuru wrote:This begs the question, how should a warrior make his money?
With loot. Problem is, loot has been nerfed to a state where it has become the least productive way of making coin.
There was a time when digging up maps could be lucrative, but that has changed over time as well. Firstly, because of an item inflation which is perfectly normal in an environment where no no demand is produced (no new players), now maps would need another rebalancing due to the increased difficulty of defeating large groups of creatures.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I agree that it is a problem. It is infuriating how simply leaving the front gate of town to go to another town is so dangerous that at least 40% of the time there are mobs attacking on the way to the teleporter. Sometimes I die several times in one day, attempting different things in different areas. I can understand new players who get fed up and leave after so many minutes of playing, because one can not accomplish anything by themselves outside of town. Dying several times is enough to make anyone want to quit. It's definitely a turn-off.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

A brief feedback from my side:

-The monster spawns have to be revised, indeed. There are some obvious bugs around no one reported nor fixed, such as wrong monster counts in small areas (spiders at the eastern shore) or monsters leaving surface dungeons (dragons north of Runewick).
-Please be concrete. Say exactly what is wrong and where. Bugs like noted above are neither wanted, desired nor intended. But do not generalise things ("too many monsters") but tell us exactly where you encountered a problem. And use Mantis, not every developer will read a thread called "Current Note".
-If you name towns, say which ones. We cannot guess. If you think that the save zone around Galmair is too small, we can fix that.
-A save way to move from town to town is provided by the teleporters. The wilderness is dangerous. Currently, there are gaps between monsters spawns, we will evaluate the size of those gaps.
-A maxed out warrior is meant to be able to take out a level 6 monster all alone (with proper tactics!). Game design is that taking out a level >6 monster requires a group. Hence, those monsters are very rarely to be found on the surface.
-Were the monster drops changed? I don't think so. If you refer to treasure maps, I don't think they were changed, too.
-Regeneration of monsters needs to be checked, indeed. Simply removing it is not really an option.
-Keep in mind that the monsters were broken. It was never intended that they are blind and dumb as shit. The current state is the desired one.
-I could easily take out a level 5 monster recently with a brand new character. Using proper tactics.
-The introduction of magic could turn the tide towards the players again...

All in all, yes, the monster spawns have to be revised. I actually doubt that new players leave the game because of high level monsters beating them up - most new players left the game long before such an event could take place :-P.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Estralis Seborian wrote: -A maxed out warrior is meant to be able to take out a level 6 monster all alone (with proper tactics!). Game design is that taking out a level >6 monster requires a group. Hence, those monsters are very rarely to be found on the surface.
According to Jupiter it was meant to be a level 7 (at least for maxed archers), so which one of you is right here?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

In detail, 7 is the threshold :-P. 6 should be feasable, 7 the threshold (barely possible) and 8+9 impossible. It is difficult to say exactly what a char can defeat due to the immense variations you have in combat. But we agreed that level 8+9 requires a group while 6 and lower is cannon fodder.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Estralis Seborian wrote:A brief feedback from my side:

-The monster spawns have to be revised, indeed. There are some obvious bugs around no one reported nor fixed, such as wrong monster counts in small areas (spiders at the eastern shore) or monsters leaving surface dungeons (dragons north of Runewick).
-Please be concrete. Say exactly what is wrong and where. Bugs like noted above are neither wanted, desired nor intended. But do not generalise things ("too many monsters") but tell us exactly where you encountered a problem. And use Mantis, not every developer will read a thread called "Current Note".
-If you name towns, say which ones. We cannot guess. If you think that the save zone around Galmair is too small, we can fix that.
-A save way to move from town to town is provided by the teleporters. The wilderness is dangerous. Currently, there are gaps between monsters spawns, we will evaluate the size of those gaps.
-A maxed out warrior is meant to be able to take out a level 6 monster all alone (with proper tactics!). Game design is that taking out a level >6 monster requires a group. Hence, those monsters are very rarely to be found on the surface.
-Were the monster drops changed? I don't think so. If you refer to treasure maps, I don't think they were changed, too.
-Regeneration of monsters needs to be checked, indeed. Simply removing it is not really an option.
-Keep in mind that the monsters were broken. It was never intended that they are blind and dumb as shit. The current state is the desired one.
-I could easily take out a level 5 monster recently with a brand new character. Using proper tactics.
-The introduction of magic could turn the tide towards the players again...

All in all, yes, the monster spawns have to be revised. I actually doubt that new players leave the game because of high level monsters beating them up - most new players left the game long before such an event could take place :-P.
It is not just certain areas. and if a maxed out warrior cannot take out lv 8 creatures then there is no profit unless they can learn heavy armor and fight spiders. Oh and the dragons coming out of surface dungeons?? Explain to me how 7-8 lv 9 creatures should be in any dungeon? That is utter insanity, no group can defeat that many unless there was optimal terrain to lure them one at a time. If the desire is to make it so that warriors cannot even do a pirate map alone then I suggest some very large changes to the loot, warriors can barely pay for repairs and high end maps are not worth it because you need such a large group (which one is bound to die during the fight) and the loot distribution between the large group is slim. I have alot of things I'd like to say about where this game is going but out of respect for the staff that I know care what the players think and how they like to play, I won't.