Open Source

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

TheVagabond

Open Source

Post by TheVagabond »

Hello,

I was curious how open-source Illarion is. Is it strictly open-source for the development of the Illarion project, or can it be used for other projects?

Cheers,
Michael
Djironnyma

Re: Open Source

Post by Djironnyma »

It concern about what part of Illarion you speak. The different Licences Illarion use are explained under followe links:

http://illarion.org/development/us_opensource.php
Illarion is developed as Open Source Software. The sources of the Java software are released under GPLv3 while sources of server, maps and game content are released under AGPLv3. All sources are free for public usage. This page offers a list of the development repositories of Illarion.
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Hello,

Hypothetically speaking, a third party could use the source of Illarion as the basis of another game? If so, would the developers appreciate such a thing?

Cheers,
Michael
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Hey Michael,

we strongly encourage you to use the code for your own project. However, you need to follow GPLv3/AGPLv3. E.g. you need to share your work with us, by using GitHub for instance, not change the license, etc. Read the licenses for more information.

We would also welcome you to work with us on our project if you like, since starting something new will be a lot of work.

Vilarion
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Vilarion,

I highly doubt I would open a server to the public any time soon. I imagine simply making the map would take me quite awhile.

My passion is writing, and lore. I've picked up on other things along the way. I've been writing lore for my D&D campaign setting for years (as needed, or just for fun). I really want to bring my campaign setting to life, graphically. Populating it with structures and npcs, my brother was wanting to mess around with graphics.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers,
Michael