Illapedia/Wiki project revival

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tinuva Geogroda
Location: A Tree In The Northern Forest, Oh Noes, The Northern Forest Is Mine Now!! Mwhahaha...

Illapedia/Wiki project revival

Post by Tinuva Geogroda »

Hello everyone,

first off: if someone could translate this into German, that'd be terrific. My German grammar is terrible but it is quite important to also reach out to the German only speakers in this community.

So as you have probably read in the subject of this thread it is about the revival of Illapedia.
It has been spooking in my mind for quite a while to revive/create an Illarion dedicated wiki.
Thus I have sought out people and Illarion does not mind having fansites, including a wiki.

Of course this cannot be a one man project, thus if you think you could help with this I would like to ask you to help. But let me tell you some more things and answer some of your questions firsts.
Now before we get to the "How are we going to do it?" I'd first like to answer the question "Why are we going to do it?".

There are basically three points for me that made me miss Illapedia or any Illarion dedicated Wiki for this matter:
  • Books to read for characters while they are unable to log in to the game
  • Lore which should be common knowledge for some characters
  • Simple game details for the game aspect
Personally I think the second one is the most important, but that is my own personal opinion. But have you never made a new character searching for information that should be common knowledge for any Illarion-inhabitant but you can't seem to find it? I keep a copy of the old Illapedia with all it's spam for that reason. Where would I turn otherwise if I wanted to read something about Gynk?
Now of course there is also another answer to my last question: books. I agree with that, but the Wiki could also be the 'offline library'. It is up to you to pass that knowledge over to your characters. Nonetheless there are still topics that shouldn't have to come out of books, if I want to create a character from Gynk I do not wish to first seek out a book about Gynk. Illapedia makes sure you can skip that step.

Last but not least there is obviously OOC info that can be placed on the wiki, about Illarion itself, history, contributors etc. etc.

The Wiki is not meant to be an all encompassing official outlet, but it is meant to give you some kind of a way to read this information. And personally I just love reading lore ;).

So, "How are we going to do it?".
I installed a MediaWiki on a host. I also used a coupon I still had for a free domain name (You get a few of them if you buy enough domain names ;)) to get "illapedia.org".
There are still some things that have to be fixed (both English and German articles for instance, but MediaWiki is a bit of a bitch when it comes to being bilingual) but basically it's online.
If there is anything about a specific article you doubt, want to discuss or whatever, without instantly changing it, you can create a Talk Page and discuss it with other users.
Now the previous Wiki had some spam problems, I've taken rather easy steps to counter that: only certain usergroups can edit and create pages.
Thus a bot cannot simply walk in and hand out some spam.

This is also where you come in, a Wiki is a community project. I took a bit of a leap of faith hoping that enough people feel the same like me.
So how can you help out? Any contribution you make to the Wiki is welcome. Write an article, copy an article from the old wiki and update it, copy an in-game book to the wiki. You name it.
The only thing you have to do to help out is create an account on Illapedia and notify me here or in PM that you want to help out and state your Illapedia account name.

I do not require anyone to write articles, you do it because you want it. I give you the tools to do so.

Any suggestions are, of course, welcome too. Just knock on my PM box.

If there are any more questions: do ask them! If you want to overload me with questions: I suppose I'd better move my face to the IRC then.

Hoping that you are just as excited for this project as I am,
~Tinuva

Edit: the actual link is http://illapedia.org. It's rather empty as of yet as I wrote this down before I finished installing the translator.
Mr.Oldie

Re: Illapedia/Wiki project revival

Post by Mr.Oldie »

Cant seem to access the link. says server not found.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Great idea.. I am getting the link, have firefox.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

was trying in firefox.
tried in chrome and safari just to be safe now. but nope. cant find in all three.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I was literally just talking to my husband about bringing the Illa wiki back a couple of hours ago!
Tinuva Geogroda
Location: A Tree In The Northern Forest, Oh Noes, The Northern Forest Is Mine Now!! Mwhahaha...

It is great to see more people are looking forward to this projecf. As said before: everyone is welcome to edit the wiki. It is a community project.

Mr.Oldie: It does work fine for me and others. If the problem persists please contact me and we'll try to figure out what the problem is.

Edit: For people already eager to start writing but not really sure where to start there are a few basic things that I think need to be in as first. Of course this again is my personal opinion.
  • Introductory guide to Illarion (what is Illarion, the purpose in the game, hints, tips, tricks you name it.
  • About Illarion (history, basically a standard Wikipedia page about Illa)
  • The towns (article per town)
  • Historical characters (article per character)
  • The Gods (one overlapping article and a detailed article per god)
  • Books (article per book) Please do not copy books from the game. If you have to cover topics covered by books that are hardly found in other places write them in your own words.
If you feel like writing and you're not sure what you can make a page/category for either of those.

I'll also post these on the main page talkpage when I get home again, just to get the ball rolling. But I cannot stress enough to not let my list limit you! :wink:
I myself will work on the standard articles needed, templates etc. (someone has to talk about the privacy, what we are and give everyone some templates eh?).

Oh one last tip: wrap all your pages in <translate></translate> tags and after writing mark them for translating in the opposite language (de (Ger) article mark for en (UK) and en (UK) article mark for de (Ger)).
Last edited by Tinuva Geogroda on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

yayyyy got in... :D
never used it before.
going through it now; lemme know if i make any mistakes :)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I would like to request to not publish the ingame books in this Illapedia for the following reasons:

1. The books are not open source and are not intended to be.
2. If you want to read a book, you have to log in - so it is a reason to login and play.
3. Necessary background knowledge to play your character can be provided without the books.
4. Some books may be intended to be "hidden" content.

Otherwise, good luck.
Tinuva Geogroda

Jupiter wrote:I would like to request to not publish the ingame books in this Illapedia for the following reasons:

1. The books are not open source and are not intended to be.
2. If you want to read a book, you have to log in - so it is a reason to login and play.
3. Necessary background knowledge to play your character can be provided without the books.
4. Some books may be intended to be "hidden" content.

Otherwise, good luck.
While I might disagree with two of those points at pointed out in my first post we will of course honour the wishes of the Illarion team (As I also promised Vilarion) and I do not intend to ruin licenses. Illapedia itself has also carefully chosen it license (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) so it is good to be up to date with that too if you want to add information to Illapedia.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

i've started creating the roots and branches between skills and attributes.
its just a skeletal. Add sufficent text and other details needed to make it proper.

I've editted the skill template a bit to add primary and secondary factions to crafts.
since this is needed in most skills thought it would be better in the table form than as in text.
Added syntax to the key.
Check and confirm.

DEVs who have created Attribute influences in different instances please provide more info there is to add.
Would like to know attributes influencing damages in each weapon type including their extend of influence.
Brawndara

Post by Brawndara »

i think the info on town ranks should be added form forum post and each towns rank can be place on that factions page http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... nk#p672207
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

yeah on it.. Brawn..
Tinuva Geogroda

Brilliant Mr.Oldie.

The only thing I would like to note is that we could do the categories wiki style, with subcategories. I'll post that on the Category:Skills talk page since it has no priority.

Edit: I wrote it down on the talk page here: http://illapedia.org/index.php?title=Ca ... alk:Skills