New Downloader - Neuer Downloader

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nitram
Developer

New Downloader - Neuer Downloader

Post by Nitram »

Hello,

the new Downloader is finally in a state were its close to be finished and I'd like to put it in for public testing.

You can download the new application here: download link

There are a few important things to know before you test this new application.
Its not possible to use the current downloader (and its applications) alongside with the new one without any problems. While the update from the current one to the new one will work without any problems, the other way around will not go as smoothly. The reason for this is mainly a change the the method the configuration files of the applications are saved. This effects for example the client settings like the display resolution, the audio volume and so on. Upon a update those settings get reset to its default values. In case you want to switch back from the new applications to the current ones, the problem is basically the same. But the current applications aren't error resistant and will crash in case a configuration file of the new applications is stored. To solve this you need to remove the xcfgz-files in the user directory.

The next thing is the Java version. You need the current version to get it working in the best way. The Java 6 support is dropped. Java 7b45 is the suggested version to be used. Download the version from the Java homepage.

Launching the new downloader is simple. Just double-click the jar file you downloaded and it will start. Once you launched it you need to go into the option menu and select the Development channel for the client. There currently is no release version the downloader could fetch. The first time launching a application can take some time until the actual download is started. The downloader needs some time to resolve all dependencies. This will work faster the following launches as the results are cached.

Feel free to report problems and suggestions with the application in Mantis.

tl;tr
  • download link
  • Java version 7b45 needed: Java homepage
  • Select client development channel in downloader options
  • Custom settings of the applications will be erased upon update
Nitram

---

Hallo,

der neue Downloader ist jetzt bereit für einen allgemeinen Testlauf.

Ihr könnt die neue Anwendung hier herunterladen: Download

Ein paar Sachen sind wichtig bevor ihr anfangt die neue Anwendung zu testen. Es ist nicht möglich den neuen Downloader (und die Anwendungen) neben den aktuellen Versionen zu verwenden ohne das es Probleme gibt. Ein Update von der aktuellen Version auf den neuen Downloader sollte Problemlos funktionieren. Anders herum wird es nicht problemlos gehen. Der Grund dafür ist vor allem eine Änderung des Formats der Konfigurationsdateien. Also die Dateien, die die Einstellungen der einzelnen Anwendungen speichern. Beim Client ist das z.B. die Auflösung des Client-Fensters, die Musik-Lautstärke, usw. Bei einem Update von dem aktuellen Downloader auf den neuen werden die Einstellungen der Anwendungen einfach zurückgesetzt. Wenn ein Downgrade von der neuen Version auf die Aktuelle gemacht wird, gibt es Probleme weil die aktuellen Änderungen empfindlich auf falsche Konfigurationsdateien reagieren. In diesem Fall müssen die xcfgz-Dateien im Order für die Benutzerdaten gelöscht werden.

Die zweite Sache ist die Java Version. Ihr braucht die aktuelle Version von Java, damit alles richtig geht. Java 6 wird nicht mehr unterstützt. Java 7b45 ist die Version die verwendet werden sollte. Diese Version kann von der Java Homepage heruntergeladen werden.

Der Start des Downloaders ist sehr leicht. Einfach die jar-Datei die Heruntergeladen wurde doppelt Anklicken und schon wird der Downloader gestartet. Bevor eine Anwendung das erste Mal gestartet wird, muss der Aktuallisierungskanal des Clients in den Optionen des Downloaders geändert werden. Hier muss der Entwicklungs-Kanal gewählt werden. Es gibt momentan keine Veröffentlichungs-Version des Clients, und damit kann der Downloader nichts herunterladen, wenn dieser Kanal gewählt ist. Der Downloader wird beim ersten Start der Anwendung einige Zeit brauchen bevor der eigentliche Download beginnt, weil er erst eine Zusammenstellung erzeugen muss welche Dateien überhaupt gebraucht werden.

Probleme und Vorschläge für die Anwendung können im Mantis geschrieben werden.

tl;tr
  • Downloader Download-Link
  • Java Version 7b45 benötigt: Java Homepage
  • Client Entwicklung Kanal in den Downloader Optionen auswählen
  • Einstellungen der Anwendungen werden nach dem Update zurückgesetzt
Nitram
Developer

Re: New Downloader - Neuer Downloader

Post by Nitram »

Not a lot of people trying it. Okay lets increase the motivation.
  1. The client downloaded with this downloader can login to the gameserver
  2. The new client contains some new graphics
  3. The new client is unlikely to crash in case are use stairs/teleporters.
----

Es sind ja nicht gerade viele die den Downloader ausprobieren. Also erhöhen wir mal die Motivation dazu.
  1. Der client der von dem neuen Downloader geladen wird, kann sich mit dem Spielserver verbinden.
  2. Der neue Client enhält ein paar neue Grafiken
  3. Der neue Client crashed vermutlich nicht mehr, wenn Leitern und Teleporter verwendet werden.
Nitram
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

where can we find this new downloader?
:shock:
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Nitram wrote:You can download the new application here: download link
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

*facepalms* okay... Thanks now that I look as stupid as an orc I'll download it :P
Damien

Post by Damien »

Yay for fixed stairs and teleporters !
Two thumbs up for this one.

Also the improved interface with the news and quest links display and the direct link into account management and editors make the whole a really rounded, throughoutly practical thing. The only thing it could also use might be a link to the online list.
Good work, Sir Nitteram of Codewood.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The client that is launched by the new downloader was not properly working for a view days now. But those problems are fixed now.

For me the client run as fast as the "old" version from the old downloader.

How's it for you?

Nitram
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Right now it took me 3 minutes and 15 seconds to start the client. Most of the time it takes 1-2 minutes for me to start.
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

Doesn ´t work on my PC. Neither the new downloader, nor the old (occured first yesterday, already in Mantis)
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

The new downloader started giving me massive error notices. I have the complete error report in the support forum.
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

Mephistopheles wrote:The new downloader started giving me massive error notices. I have the complete error report in the support forum.

Seems we both have the same or an very similar problem. But I get the message with the old and the new starter
Alessaina

Post by Alessaina »

Alrik wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:The new downloader started giving me massive error notices. I have the complete error report in the support forum.

Seems we both have the same or an very similar problem. But I get the message with the old and the new starter
I had the same problem. Tried a couple different ways to fix but I ended up having to move my character files to a different location, deleted everything else, and then re-downloaded the client and moved the files back over.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Alrik wrote:Doesn ´t work on my PC. Neither the new downloader, nor the old (occured first yesterday, already in Mantis)
I fail to locate your report.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Nitram wrote:
Alrik wrote:Doesn ´t work on my PC. Neither the new downloader, nor the old (occured first yesterday, already in Mantis)
I fail to locate your report.
http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9495
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

An automatic error report is send by my starter automatically. As far as I´ve seen it was reported here too: http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9455

If I try to use the old starter, I don´t get so far to chose with which character I want to login, I couldn´t even enter a password - the starter is crashing before that point.

With the new starter: Java is up to date as recommendet. Juptier told me due Teamspeak which files to delete. Nevertheless I still get the message "Anwendungsdateien fehlerhaft".
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Did you switch to the development channel in the options of the downloader? There is no release version yet.
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

Tried everything I could chose. Nothing worked
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The downloader appears to be working for most, so I pushed a release. News entry will follow soon. You may set the download channels to release now. The old client will remain active for now, but will not receive any new updates.

---

Der Downloader scheint bei den meisten zu funktionieren, also habe ich eine Version veröffentlicht. Einen News Beitrag dafür gibt es bald. Der Download-Kanal für die Anwendungen kann jetzt auf "Veröffentlicht" gestellt werden. Der alte Client bleibt erstmal noch aktiv, wird aber keine Downloads mehr erhalten.

Nitram
Raina Narethil

Post by Raina Narethil »

Can you please give instructions on how to get the new downloader to start or even to run the client as everything I tried seems not to work.

Currently using the old client start button.
Gina South

Post by Gina South »

can you help me as well: I start the download.. it goes along for a bit then gets this error:

Java.lang.exceptioninintiializererror caused by:java.lang.null pointer at Illarion.client.illa client exception <clinil) (Illla clinent Java:80
Exception thread main
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

I just tried the release and Nitram still works on it. thats whats giving you the error messege, go to options and click delopement under illarion client.
Raina Narethil

Post by Raina Narethil »

Got it working, for those not using Windows, you have use Java itself to launch the downloader.

The command line would ./java -jar (( the path where the downloader resides.))

Don't try to launch it with javaws

Example would be.

./java -jar /home/usr/downloads/
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

On linux it usually also works using double click (or at least you can set java as executable to handle jar files)
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

I finally upgraded as well and had to use oracle's jre to get it to work on linux mint 13. For some reason I always got an error saying I need a higher version when trying to run the downloader.jar with openjdk 1.7.0_51. The newest version oracle offers for linux is the exact same and that works.

Even more mysterious to me is why the downloader insists to redownload all the files again into my home directory. I tried deleting the .illarion file and got to choose /home/illarion/bin and /home/illarion/usr for the game files. They ran from there once, but when I tried to start the client again a little later the bin and usr directories were again downloaded directly into the home folder. The newly created .illarion file still shows the desired paths I chose.