Alchemy improvements? - Alchemieverbesserungen?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hew Keenaxe

Re: Alchemy improvements? - Alchemieverbesserungen?

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

About 5 yrs ago, I played a Bard character. As now, there was no bard magic. When a tune was played an emote was displayed. The higher your skill, the more pleasant the description was, but they just referred to musical ability. So, I decided to add a description after a successful tune to suggest an effect. Such as, " The rhythmic beat of the drum drives back fear, instills courage" " A soothing aura flows from the harp calming those around".... . One day while I was doing this I was wisked of to a remote fire pit to be lectured by a GM about abusing game mechanics and forced RP. I was told to stop or be banned.
How are such messages in the form of a potion any different? Except that a GM will create them instead of a player. Or has this thinking changed since then? Does this then mean that emote / effects can be used across all disciplines? Supported RP magic by mages, bards and priests.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

by the way ...i have made some language potions ...and another player used them - if i remember right
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Hew, sorry, I am not quite understanding your post. But I will try my best to answer it anyway: The difference would be that the informs players receive on drinking the potions are statments of actual events. When you get an inform that your eyes burn, your eyes do burn. While your bard example was forced rp. You (as in as a player) cannot force feelings and reactions upon other players' characters and therefore.

On language potions: They were never be planned to be useless and I hope they will becomes useful someday. When I made them, I assumed that we would have languages, since nothing else was said. I learnt that languages do not work while trying to debug them, that was frustrating.

However, you raised a valid point I have not considered. It would be frustrating to invest time in resoucres into something which is then just a small inform.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Jupiter save your talents and time for the actual working stuff ,us players will take care of the roleplay stuff, after all we are allowed small local magics now without gm approval (if i read the poll correctly) this more than takes care of any roll playing potions needed.

Ufedhin drains a small grey bottle of liquid, imediately his face distorts,contornts and alters into a hidious mask of hairy hatred! eyes a blaze with baleful fire ,he coughs smoke then relaxes, his face returning to his usual sour wrinkled visage "good my coughs gone" he mutters.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

I agree with Uffe.

Also, invisibility potions would be a nice addition if they were about as limited as slime barriers. The invisible char should be ignored by monsters. The effect should end immediately however, if you attack anything. As a countermeasure you could make a dustcloud explosive or something similar, which should be easy to brew.

Invisible monsters, that can sneak up on you in a dungeon before they attack might be worth considering too. That would make those counter-invisibility bombs useful in PvE combat too and variety in monsters is always a good thing.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Hello,

I hope I will have time in October/November to rework the alchemy system in the way I would like it to have to be able to add all the nice features you miss. In orde to do that, I collected current problems here http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=10046 (see the realtionships)
Please say if you miss something. Notice that this is about the current system and the features we currently have. So bugs and ideas for improving existing things are welcome.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Jupiter wrote:Hello,

I hope I will have time in October/November to rework the alchemy system in the way I would like it to have to be able to add all the nice features you miss. In orde to do that, I collected current problems here http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=10046 (see the realtionships)
Please say if you miss something. Notice that this is about the current system and the features we currently have. So bugs and ideas for improving existing things are welcome.
Jupiter just dont make it anymore transparent, please,please! its easy enough as it is. lets keep alchemy the highest art in the land.
Ps ,dont forget the instructions on the emerald tablet. :wink:
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Ufedhin wrote:just dont make it anymore transparent, please,please! its easy enough as it is
It's not about making thing easier. Primarily, those are needed changes to make it all much more wierd. :P
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Bring on the wierdness ! more the merrier.I would like to see potions that can transform one into an immobile tree ,bush ,puddle of water or rock etc for purposes of hiding and meditation and to enhance understand of what it is to be such ....and wood worm treatments......just to name a few new ideas.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

But first the bug fixing and stuff ;)