Alchemy improvements? - Alchemieverbesserungen?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jupiter
Developer

Alchemy improvements? - Alchemieverbesserungen?

Post by Jupiter »

Dear alchemists,

I'm going to rework most of the alchemy scripts. Many of the changes won't affect you at all and are only for readability, maintenance and being able to add new stuff easier. However, in the course of doing so, I will also work on some things for which I haven't had time yet.

Changes you will notice include:
- renaming the names of the concentrations (that won't change recipes in anyway. Just unclear phrases like "dominant marked", will be replaced with something more understandable)
- recalculate bomb's damage
- rework the way quality raising potions work (basically, make them better)
- remove essence brews and replace them with a gem-powder-mix (that will make some of your parchment recipes useless; but only the part with the essence brew. I will probably allow to change recipes, so that you can make the necessary changes with less effort. Finally, that change will bring the mortar back into alchemy!)
- rewrite the alchemy book

Since I will work on every part of the alchemy system in any way, you have not the change to bring foreward ideas you think would improve alchemy. So what ever you think might be good to change for the sake of the alchemists' work, say it.

------------------
Liebe Alchemisten,

Ich werde die meisten Alchemiescripe komplett überarbeiten. Viele der Änderungen werden euch nicht betreffen, sondern dienen der Lesbarkeit, einfachere Wartung und erleichtertes Hinzufügen von Neuem. Dennoch werde ich an einige Dinge, die euch betreffen, für die ich aber bisher keine Zeit hatte, arbeiten.

Das wird beinhalten:
- umbennen der Namen der Konzentrationsstufen (ändert nicht die Rezepte, sondern unklare Formulierungen wie "sehr ausgeprägte Menge" werden durch Verständlicheres ersetzt)
- Bombenschaden wird neu berechnet
- Qualitätsheber verändern (letzlich, verbessern)
- Essenzgebräue werden entfernt und druch eine Edelsteinstaubkräutermixtur ersetzt (das wird einige der Pergamentrezepte unbrauchbar machen; aber nur den Teil mit dem Essenzgebräu. Ich werde wahrscheinlich das Bearbeiten von Rezepten ermöglichen, so dass ihr die nötigen Änderungen mit wenig Aufwand machen könnt. Letzlich wird diese Änderung den Mörser zuück in die Alchemie bringen!)
- Alchemiebuch umschreiben

Da ich so oder so an jedem Teil des Alchemiesystem was ändern werde, habt ihr nun die Gelegenheit Ideen anzuführen, von denen ihr denkt, sie werden die Alchemie verbessern. Wenn ihr denkt, dass es die Arbeit der Alchemisten besser machen wird, sagt es.
Velisai

Re: Alchemy improvements? - Alchemieverbesserungen?

Post by Velisai »

Pre VBU, alchemy had so much versatility and was so overpowered that the only reason it wasn't done by every second player was the pain-in-the-arse preparation process and rarity of some herbs. I absolutely love how user friendly it has become, but it was also totally crippled as far as alchemist's abilities are concerned. We lost poisons, all the runes, most (and that's also all the really fun) shapeshifter potions, repair, skill-decap potions and some other stuff that was meant to be, but hasn't been implemented before.

My wish list would be:

1) No further simplification please! Hooray to user friendliness, but please don't make it any easier to find a viable herb-recipe for a potion. Not every aspect of the game absolutely has to be dumbed down so much that there is only one straightforward course of action. Some few people out there actually like complexity. Those who don't, have no business playing alchemists anyway. One of the things I love about it is that you can actually benefit from using your brains a little with this part of the game.

2) Different sorts of poisons, infections and cures. Some ideas:
- the old, plain damage poison we had pre vbu of course
- paralyzing poison (bomb), slows down movement rate for a limited time (some high level spiders could use that as a weapon, instead of just being ridiculously hard to kill?)
- ooze plague, infected character generates hostile bloodslime every half ig hour (10 rl min.) and food bar decreases much faster than normal (~0.5% chance to get infected with this every time you take a critical hit from a slime?)
- ratification sickness, infected char turns into a ratman at night (4 - 6 ig hours), including skills and attributes (same as above, just with rats and from melee using ones only)
- firefly disease, starts flinging weak fireballs at random nearby chars/monsters/self(in that order of priority) whenever the infected char stands still for 1 rl minute (fireballs use up mana if the char has any, uses food bar if not)
- rabid hound affliction, infected character attacks other chars in melee at random intervals, losing control for a short time (can be contracted from wolves and foxes very rarely at critical hits)

I have no idea if that is even remotely possible to code, but these are just a few vague ideas for what might be an interesting, yet not overpowered disease system.

3) Get rid of quality raisers. No matter how good they are, making two potions of what you actually want is almost always better than making one plus a quality raiser. Unless you make them really, really awesome, nobody will ever use them anyway.

4) Shapeshifter potions for most kinds of monsters, which actually give you their attributes and skills. (leave out some totally overpowering ones like sons of mountains)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Thank you for your feedback, Velisai.
Velisai wrote: We lost poisons, all the runes
Poison will come back. The runes where mostly useless, not alchemical relevant and/or overpowered. Therefore, I removed them. However, there will be something called "Alchemy II" which will add new, better and more usefull abilities beyond the current brewing (That will take a lot of time, though).
No further simplification please! Hooray to user friendliness, but please don't make it any easier to find a viable herb-recipe for a potion.
Could you be a bit more specific waht you mean with simplification concerning the learning of recipes? You still have to calculate the stock, just as pre VBU. And now you have to fullfill certain tasks to learn a recipe. The way you learned recipes pre-vbu was just scary (reading some scroll, with teh change of loosing skill...).
However, the npcs will probably not get new potions to teach. I will use others mtehods from now on (because I hate NPCs.) Have you tried to learn "Lennier's Dream"? I use a different teaching method there.
Different sorts of poisons, infections and cures
As said above, poison will return. Infections will never become player caused again. Maybe someday we will have illnesses again, caused by wolf's bites etc. But there are some people in the staff no really fond of infections.

Get rid of quality raisers. No matter how good they are, making two potions of what you actually want is almost always better than making one plus a quality raiser. Unless you make them really, really awesome, nobody will ever use them anyway.
The basica idea is: Quality raises will always increase the quality of potion whne you use them. The quality of the quality raise will determine the chance for a second raising of the quality. You are right that they are currently no really usefull (they never will be for things like healing and attribute potions). But there will be some potions in teh future you can only create with extraordinary efforts. The quality raises have always beend intened for those potions. So they will come in handy then.
Shapeshifter potions for most kinds of monsters, which actually give you their attributes and skills.
I would like to have shapeshifter potions with out any additional effect, in the first place. Actually, the script is already able to handle those. The problem is that there are no runnig graphics for monsters. If you are transformed and run, you will "float" around, which just looks horrible. Until we have a solution for that (and by that I mean deactivate the possible to run when being in a monster shape, because we will certainly not get runnig graphics for them) there won't be monster shapeshifter potions.
Calando

Post by Calando »

Deutsch bitte damit es alle verstehen
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Calando wrote:Deutsch bitte damit es alle verstehen
Ich antworte auf die Vorschläge in der Sprache, in der sie gemacht werden. Ich habe nicht unendlich viel Zeit und werde die deswegen nicht damit vergeuten jedes einzelne Post von mir zu übersetzten.

Zurück zum Thema.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

Jupiter wrote:Thank you for your feedback, Velisai.
Velisai wrote: We lost poisons, all the runes
Poison will come back. The runes where mostly useless, not alchemical relevant and/or overpowered. Therefore, I removed them. However, there will be something called "Alchemy II" which will add new, better and more usefull abilities beyond the current brewing (That will take a lot of time, though).

I know. Looking forward to that. :)

No further simplification please! Hooray to user friendliness, but please don't make it any easier to find a viable herb-recipe for a potion.
Could you be a bit more specific waht you mean with simplification concerning the learning of recipes? You still have to calculate the stock, just as pre VBU. And now you have to fullfill certain tasks to learn a recipe. The way you learned recipes pre-vbu was just scary (reading some scroll, with teh change of loosing skill...).
However, the npcs will probably not get new potions to teach. I will use others mtehods from now on (because I hate NPCs.) Have you tried to learn "Lennier's Dream"? I use a different teaching method there.

The old way of learning recipes really was scary and you never even knew if you had them all, cause they showed up in random order.
I meant the calculating of stocks though, which has become much easier since the VBU. Before, with half the herbs being rare, it was a challenge to calculate them in a way that uses as few of those as possible. Now you only need rare herbs for essence brews, if you want a really strongly unbalanced potion or are just lazy.
Also, since the common herbs don't need to be sorted by quality anymore, which was a huge pain, it doesn't matter nearly as much if you use efficient recipes or waste twice as many herbs as needed. I'd leave it as it is now, but to make it any easier would be taking it too far in my opinion.
I hate NPCs too by the way, so I appreciate pretty much any alternative.

Different sorts of poisons, infections and cures
As said above, poison will return. Infections will never become player caused again. Maybe someday we will have illnesses again, caused by wolf's bites etc. But there are some people in the staff no really fond of infections.

Again? I thought they were never actually implemented. I don't remember anyone ever become infected with anything aside from the winter flu, but maybe I'm too new to have seen it done.
I also anticipated some skepticism on that part, so I proposed non contagious, rather harmless diseases mostly. Those would inconvenience a char, but not really cripple them entirely. If the cures were much easier to make than the plagues, it could work out well in my opinion and give an alchemist ways to harm others with something less dead serious than bombs or poison.

Get rid of quality raisers. No matter how good they are, making two potions of what you actually want is almost always better than making one plus a quality raiser. Unless you make them really, really awesome, nobody will ever use them anyway.
The basica idea is: Quality raises will always increase the quality of potion whne you use them. The quality of the quality raise will determine the chance for a second raising of the quality. You are right that they are currently no really usefull (they never will be for things like healing and attribute potions). But there will be some potions in teh future you can only create with extraordinary efforts. The quality raises have always beend intened for those potions. So they will come in handy then.

Okay, that sounds good. Forget about that comment then.
Shapeshifter potions for most kinds of monsters, which actually give you their attributes and skills.
I would like to have shapeshifter potions with out any additional effect, in the first place. Actually, the script is already able to handle those. The problem is that there are no runnig graphics for monsters. If you are transformed and run, you will "float" around, which just looks horrible. Until we have a solution for that (and by that I mean deactivate the possible to run when being in a monster shape, because we will certainly not get runnig graphics for them) there won't be monster shapeshifter potions.

Monsters sometimes float a few steps for me anyway, due to lag I think, and personally I don't mind at all, but I understand the argument. I have no clue how difficult it would be to disable running, but it seems possible, as it does work fine when a char is carrying too much stuff. Either way it is good to know this is planned.
The additional effects would only be useful to chars with very low skills or wrong attributes for a certain situation, even harmful in some cases and are not absolutely neccessary, just nice to have if anyone bothers to add them. If not it's fine too.
If you need help translating the new book or spell checking, I'd suggest creating an online document and posting a link to that. That way people can help out whenever they have time, without having to commit to finishing it all on their own. Also eliminates software incompatibility issues.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

How bout magic resistance potions so warriors dont get bullied by mages again =P. I dont know if they exist already if so then disregard.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

@Velisai
So the problem is not the learning but the resources. For attribute and healing potions, I see nor problem, since they are supposed to be something ordinary. They are the daily products. However, I realized that they rare herbs are not so good as a limiting factor in general since the potions where they are needed are not often created. That will change when we get new potions. One reason why I rewrite the scripts is to be more flexibil when it comes to how to create a potion. We will have potions which you will create dby mixing other potions being composed of other potions :P So there will be potions for which alchemists will have to invest a lot of time and resources.
However, I also consider to adjust healing and attributes potions in a way, that you can use rare herbs there to boost them a bit. We will see.

And yes, the "again" concerning diseases was just a mistake. The diseases we are talking baout would have nothing to do with the "#me coughs"-annoyance we had.

@Mephistopheles
Possible, but only worth a consideration when we get magic back.

In general, try not to ask for specific potions, pleases. There will be an other opportunity for you to do so ;)
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

I was a little slow in getting my post up ,after reading Velasai's post i dont need to put it up, i agree entirely with all that she has written.
Keep the archaic terms and the odd bits of lore aswell ...Mystery and the unknown are powerful draw cards for us alchemist ,any more user friendly'ness will back fire on the craft in a big way to its detriment.

The part time dabblers should not be able to access the greater secrets without putting in the huge amount of dedicated work and effort,
and im not just talking potions here,i refer also to the wonderfull "in craft" words and terms we use as well .
The unknown,the danger,the mystery ,the archaic terms one needed to learn plus pure hard work , plus moments of inspiration is what made the system pre vbu so compelling for me,please lets keep what we have left of that.

The old loss of skill to gain a recipes did not trouble the truly dedicated in the old druid house :lol: ,not saying use that method again just using it as an example that dedication should be an alchemists priority.
Alchemist runes are missed in a big way,the pain of the mages loss can be understood keenly by alchemists we need something along those line back .

A mad alchemist......

In short ,complexity keeps alchemy vibrant and facinating ,whatever eventuates please take that into consideration, oh and lets have the old portable cauldrons back please the static ones in the wild are far to dangerous you get eaten before you finish a potion ,one cant even clear the area first as what alchemist can fight off dozens of unholy acolytes ,lichs ,giant bears ,shadow beasts shadowmunchers , etc ,etc,before brewing .
Mad outlawed alchemists have no ability to brew potions and conduct experiments.......
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Thanks for your feedback, Ufedhin.
Ufedhin wrote:Keep the archaic terms and the odd bits of lore aswell
The alchemy lore will become bigger with time. But I doubt that this is connected to the names of the concentrations. The terms are simply not helpful. No one uses them when talking about potions. It's just an extra effort for the player (!) to convert them from non-understandable gibberish into something proper. I also like to have a certain terminology for alchemists. Why do you think the slime stuff is called "meraldilised slime"? That doesn't have any sense in our non-illarion language.
The transformation from the concentrations' names to their meaning is no big challenge. Everyone can do that. But it is just unnecessary extra work. We can use own names for the concentrations, but they need to be a used in a way which indicates directly to the meaning. Like:
"gryphoric [agent] first grade",..., "gryphoric [agent] fourth grade" for the positive concentrations
"septchronic [agent] first grade",...,"septchronic [agent]fourth grade" for the negative concentrations

I just don't like the completely nothing telling names we have now. If you have niec ideas to solve this, bring them foreward!
oh and lets have the old portable cauldrons back please

That is not entirely up to me and will not be changed.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

This probably isn't appropriate in this thread, but I would like to see a result from an exploding cauldron. Damage to the room and/or the people in proximity to the explosion. It just doesn't make sense that there is an explosion and nothing results. Especially when it happens several times in a row! (Yes, this has happened.)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Thank you for your feedback, Uhuru.

There are currently two kinds of explosions. One destroys only the cauldron content. The other one damages also the characters around it.
Right now I am creating new kinds of explosions. All in all we will have 5 types with increaseing strength. Damage to the envoirment such as destroing fruniture will not be implemented because I am not supposed to destroy the map :P But there will be stuff like spawing of flames.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Jupiter wrote:Thank you for your feedback, Uhuru.

There are currently two kinds of explosions. One destroys only the cauldron content. The other one damages also the characters around it.
Right now I am creating new kinds of explosions. All in all we will have 5 types with increaseing strength. Damage to the envoirment such as destroing fruniture will not be implemented because I am not supposed to destroy the map :P But there will be stuff like spawing of flames.
Not supposed to destroy the map? It's an explosion! You aren't destroying it, the character is! There should be some damage. *sighs* Just seems fitting characters are fined for repairs. Or something. But I can also understand the reasoning behind not damaging the map. How to please everyone?
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Uhuru wrote:
Jupiter wrote:Thank you for your feedback, Uhuru.

Not supposed to destroy the map? It's an explosion! You aren't destroying it, the character is! There should be some damage. *sighs* Just seems fitting characters are fined for repairs. Or something. But I can also understand the reasoning behind not damaging the map. How to please everyone?

I think the personal damage is enough and the loss of all ingredients, damage to structures is something that i would not agree on...alchemists would
have long ago made the apothecary's as explosion proof as possible.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Alchemie zur Zeit:
• zur Zeit werden außer Heil-, Attributstränken & Bomben kaum andere Tränke verwendet bzw. benötigt
• die Qualitätsheber sind nutzlos (werden aber wohl sinnvoll -> ich warte darauf)
• die Verwendung von „seltenen“ Kräutern ist fast nicht notwendig außer bei den Essenzen
• Alchemie wird meines Erachtens von Vielen als „Zweitberuf“ betrieben (fehlendes Alleinstellungsmerkmal oder schwer zu erlernende „Besonderheiten“)
• zur Zeit kann ein „Newbie“ wenn er die notwendigen Kräuter hat alle Tränke im „Schnelldurchgang“ lernen

Wünsche für die Alchemie:
• verschiedene Gifte + verschiedene Heiltränke passend dazu, möglicherweise auch ein Trank der das Erkennen dieser Unterschiede erst möglich macht
• Notwendigkeit mehr seltene Kräuter zu nutzen
• „Anti Magie Trank“ bzw. „Schutz Trank vor Magie“
• Manatrank
• ein Erfahrungsabhängiges Lernsystem der Tränke wäre wünschenswert [analog Handwerk / Magie (?)]
• Heiltränke sollten aufwendiger & schwieriger herzustellen sein & spät erlernt werden können (falls an ein anderes Lernsystem gedacht wird)
• Schutztränke [geringeren Schaden oder sogar nicht Angriff von NPC´s / Monstern, sofern so etwas möglich ist]
• Trank um magische Edelsteine in gleichwertige anderer Sorte zu verwandeln (dies würde eventuell dem Handelsgedanken von Char. unterschiedlicher Städte entgegenstehen, unterstützt aber gleichzeitig den Handelsgedanken von Char. untereinander)
• „Einschmieden“ & „Lösen“ von magischen Edelsteinen mittels dementsprechenden Tränken (könnte NPC´s ersetzen oder zusätzlich, falls dies durch Tränke möglich ist)
• die Sprachtränke sollten bleiben da sie ja später einmal einen Nutzen haben werden (hoffe ich wenigstens)
• Trank um andere Metalle (Eisen, Kupfer, Silber) in Gold zu verwandeln (Erz oder Barren?), möglicherweise 2 verschiedene Tränke dafür (außerdem müßten die Tränke dann wohl mehr als 1 Einheit gleichzeitig umwandeln, sonst würde sich der Aufwand nicht lohnen)
• Trank um an Stadtwachen „vorbei zu schleichen“ (wenn es denn überhaupt geht) [Verwandler + „Schleichtrank“ würde die Möglichkeit bieten Städte aufzusuchen in die man sonst nicht käme]

p.s. vieles von dem von mir Geschriebenen ist auch in den englischsprachigen Beiträgen schon enthalten
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Danke für das Feedback, Golflima.
GolfLima wrote:Notwendigkeit mehr seltene Kräuter zu nutzen
Wird dran gearbeitet.
ein Erfahrungsabhängiges Lernsystem der Tränke wäre wünschenswert [analog Handwerk / Magie (?)]
Man kann überlegen den Skill als notwendige Bedigung einzuführen, aber eher nicht als hinreichende. D.h. man wird erst ein bestimmtes Level haben müssen, um eine Aufagbe machen zu können, um einen Trank zu lernen.
Heiltränke sollten aufwendiger & schwieriger herzustellen sein & spät erlernt werden können (falls an ein anderes Lernsystem gedacht wird)
Heil- und Attributstränke sind als das täglich Brot der Alchemisten angelegt. Die sollen einfach zu machen sein.

Zu den Trankvorschlagen werde ich nur ganz kurz was sagen, das es hier eigentlich nicht um konkrete Trankvorschläge gehen soll (dazu wird noch bei Zeiten was kommen):
- verschiedene Gifte: problematisch. Erstmal überhaupt Gift wieder ins Spiel bringen, bevor man ans Ausdifferenzierung denkt.
- Antimagie: Vielleicht, vielleich auch nicht.
- Manatrank: gibt es schon
- Schutztrank gegen Angriffe: wird es so nicht geben
- mag. Edelsteine: da lasse ich die Finger von
- Metalle verwandeln: Transmutation ist Angedacht, aber nicht über Tränke
- Schleichtrank: Nein
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

An idea of my own:

The amount fo herbs used to create a stock influences the quality of the portion the stock is a component of. The minimal amount would be the minimal number of herbs if you use only rare herbs. Of course, the effect would not be so huge that you would destroy your potion's quality totaly by using also normal herbs and filters. But if you would use, lets say, 25 where you could just use 7 rare ones, that would have an effect. Keep in mind that there is always teh question of balancing. But how about the general idea?

The character has therefore the choice: Are they risking to lower the quality of the potion and save rare herbs or are the gonna use rare herbs in order to have a potion of better quality.
As you asked for it, that would increase the role of rare herbs.

---------

Eigene Idee:

Die Anzahl der verwendeten Kräuter in einem Sud beeinflusst die Qualität des Trankes, von dem der Sud eine Komponente ist. Das Minimum an Kräutern wäre die Anzahl an Kräutern, die man bei der Verwendung von nur reinen Kräutern, verwenden müsste. Natürlich würde der Effekt nicht so groß sein, dass die Trankqualität total zerstört wird, sobald man mal ein paar normale Kräuter udn Filter einsetzt. Aber wenn man 25 Kräuter, wo 7 seltene reichenwürden, braucht, würde sich das schon zeigen. Denkt daran, dass das immer eien Frage des Balancing ist. Aber was ist mit der Ideen an sich?

Die Charaktere hätten so die Whal: Wollen sie eine niedrige Qualität riskieren und seltene Kräuter sparen oder wollen sie die Qualität besser haben und dafür einige seltene Opfern?
Das würde dem Wunsch, seltenen Kräuter mehr BEdeutung zu geben, Rechnung tragen.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I don't like the idea. Drop it :P
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

The rare herbs are not the biggest issue really. They are still useful and not that easy to find as to make them the same as common ones. Maybe when the other changes are done, we can see if they need to be worked on one way or another.

I have a small request regarding labeling bottles and bags though. Would be more user friendly if you didn't have to set the cursor by clicking the text field before you can type a label. The cursor should already be good to go when that window opens. And if possible, it would be nice to have the option to confirm your label entry by hitting enter instead of having to click the button.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Velisai wrote:I have a small request regarding labeling bottles and bags though. Would be more user friendly if you didn't have to set the cursor by clicking the text field before you can type a label. The cursor should already be good to go when that window opens. And if possible, it would be nice to have the option to confirm your label entry by hitting enter instead of having to click the button.
Both are valid points. But that is purely client related. Nothing I can change. I will make a mantis task for our client developer.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Rare herbs are not so easy to find (glad you changed your mind on your proposal Jupiter :mrgreen: ) the rare herbs are a vital part of alchemy their use as it stands now is very good , they make potion making swifter and easyer in some circumstances at a cost however (the availability ) .All decent alchemists have to learn to use these rares sparingly and use the commons in a more productive way.

The trouble im having is the idea to remove the essence brews ,i like the essence being the catalyst and would like to see them stay.
It is with the essences i see change and the use of rares could be inhanced maybe in a way to increase the chances of getting a higher quality .

just a thought.

U.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Well, essence brews, as liquids, are removed. But the idea behind it stays. Actually, everything is the same - just no water. You but the herbs directly into the gem dust and add it to a stock.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Ok thats good glad to get rid of the extra bucket of water ,always wondered about the magic of where all the excess water went :wink:
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

by the way

my char has more than x.000 rare herbs in stock

--> the rarest herbs for my char:
1) wolverine farn
2) gold crak herb
3) fire root

:arrow: think rare herbs are not realy rare
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I have a general question, for that I dig out that old thread (and don't worry, your input has not been forgotten!):

What do you think about pure roleplay potions?

I define a "roleplay potion" as a potion that has no engine-based consequences. It effects are only informs to the player(s).

An example (maybe stupid, but I just want to make it clear!):
Headache potion: The one who drinks it will get some informs about headaches.

Personally, I think they can be funny and enrich the roleplay. We could have many potions with many effects for which we have no engine support. What do you think?

In case you do not like the pure form of "roleplay potions", what do you think about "semi roleplay potions"? Those would be potions which have engine based effects but also pure roleplay effects.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

I think the idea of pure roleplay potions would be interesting. Especially in the form of medicines for medicos.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

To be honest i hate the idea we have that now with the language potion ...they are never used ,ever!
Its a no flyer i promise you .Look at the effect of not having magik? well having roleplay potions we have a
negative effect aswell.
As to medicine thats already roleplayed.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

"role play potions" - sounds intersting ... as Evie said especially for medicos
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Think of it this way ,whats the point of all the hard work and great fun struggling to find out the recipes ,rolepay potions make all that null and void.One thing i have discovered is that prospective druids, alchemists want the raw ability to create an end "visible tangable" effect as a reward to the work gone in, to all the effort.
I believe this will not be of any help at all and will detract from the game,Medico's if they are played properly already roleplay potions ,I have done so ,even love potions, we dont need this to be set into game mechanics to happen .
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Ufedhin wrote:To be honest i hate the idea we have that now with the language potion ...they are never used ,ever!
Its a no flyer i promise you .
I agree with that... why would you need a potion which tell you what to feel/do when you can rp it voluntarily?