Concerning armour skills

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Annabeth

Re: Concerning armour skills

Post by Annabeth »

Is jewelry level bound to any skill or is it just to show where in the level process of goldsmithing this item belongs to?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Annabeth wrote:Is jewelry level bound to any skill or is it just to show where in the level process of goldsmithing this item belongs to?
The level has no meaning at all. Indirectly, you are right. The level was made according to the worth of the item and items of higher worth require a higer gold smithing level. Possible that the levels will all be said to 0 at one point, since clothes which are not armour have also only level 0.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Jupiter wrote:
Annabeth wrote:Is jewelry level bound to any skill or is it just to show where in the level process of goldsmithing this item belongs to?
The level has no meaning at all. Indirectly, you are right. The level was made according to the worth of the item and items of higher worth require a higer gold smithing level. Possible that the levels will all be said to 0 at one point, since clothes which are not armour have also only level 0.
I was hoping for the opposite when it came to clothes. I like the idea of even items that don't scale with skill having level, just so you can see when you craft what level they are, so you don't have to craft a lot of an item just to realize it's too low level to skill you up. Seeing many crafts you can level by just smelting ore, shearing sheep, etc, it often gets confusing at first about which item actually level you and which do not as you can not just craft the most recent item unless you visited the crafting table while making ready the resources.
Of course thats just the technical aspect and there could be lots of "its an RP game" objections towards it, but those would just defeat the entire purpose of any of these information level indication, gold worth, etc descriptions on items.
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

When I first wanted to implement crafting dialogs the idea was to show right there if crafting an item might gain skill.
Somehow this idea got lost in the process, but thanks to you it is now back on the table: http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9288
Damien

Post by Damien »

I really like the new fighting system, it works fine.

But, let me get this straight.
Blunt weapons and... Fists ! are efficient weapons against heavy armor ?

:shock:

Okay, for tactical balancing reasons, they have to be weak against something. Right.Or else everysone would use them. And they are thought to protect against missile weapons, also right. On the other hand the armor is heavier and might also be more expensive than other armor types.
But being able to punch up a heavy armor wearer by fists and primitive clubs ?

Hm. It definitely has something utterly ridiculous about it.
And it is somewhat funny. :wink:
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Damien wrote: But being able to punch up a heavy armor wearer by fists..

Hm. It definitely has something utterly ridiculous about it...
Not if you're Chuck Norris.
Or if you'd like, Jan Egeland

Though yeah, there are so many things in this game that can crack you up by how ridiculous and illogical it is. Though that's kind of one of the games charms. And it'd take ages to fix it all.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Not if you're Chuck Norris.
Or if you'd like, Jan Egeland

screw them, Bruce Lee is the real master! he's really jesus just nobody knew!
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Stay on topic, please.
Kaspar Young

Post by Kaspar Young »

Damien wrote:I really like the new fighting system, it works fine.

But, let me get this straight.
Blunt weapons and... Fists ! are efficient weapons against heavy armor ?

:shock:

Okay, for tactical balancing reasons, they have to be weak against something. Right.Or else everysone would use them. And they are thought to protect against missile weapons, also right. On the other hand the armor is heavier and might also be more expensive than other armor types.
But being able to punch up a heavy armor wearer by fists and primitive clubs ?

Hm. It definitely has something utterly ridiculous about it.
And it is somewhat funny. :wink:
Actually its historically accurate.

Heavily armored medieval knights usually used maces or clubs during combat. Those that did use swords used massive, pretty much blunt ones which served mostly the same purpose.

The idea is that you can't really cut through advanced armor. You can go for the gaps and joints, but thats it. Literally beating them to death or senseless however is quite possible, if not fairly easy, due to the armor caving in.

That said, maces are one thing, fists are another... but lets just say this is a fantasy game. Everyone's basically Mike Tyson :P
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Kaspar Young wrote:... but lets just say this is a fantasy game. Everyone's basically Mike Tyson :P
:!:

Realistic is a important aspect for illarion to be athmospheric - but game-fun and balance are even more important. So "historically accurate" can never be an argument to have an unbalanced figthing system.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Sorry if I am being stupid or if I am asking a question already answered BUT...

Hello,

To answer some question concerning the new armour skills:

1.)
You can learn all three skills. You are not stucked with the one you picked. You will just start at 0 with the other two skills.

2.) What is good against what?

Light armour is good agaist wrestling attacks and concussion weapons. It is not so good against puncture and distance weapons. It is bad against slashing weapons.

Medium armour is good against slashing weapons. It is not so good against werstling, concussion weapon. Bad against puncture and distacen weapons.

Heavy armour is good against puncture and distance weapons. It is not so good against slashing weapons. Bad against against wrestling and concussion weapons.

Have fun beating up each other,
Jupiter

Nikolaus wrote:As additional information:

It is not possible to level your armor skills while wearing armor ABOVE your current skill lvl.
eg.: using a lvl 100 medium armor, but only having 10 % medium skill.
If new armor skills start at 0 and the lowest armor I can find starts at level 10, how do I start to learn the skill?
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

By fighting monsters or opponents on a similar skill-level.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

there is lvl 0 armour and helm in each type.. the only thing that is missing is leggings, shoes or gloves.
i suggest using the lowest possible that you can use which is above your skill lvl.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Not True, try it with Goldsmithing, you may find some surprises there.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

already know about those.
still there are a few gaps to be filled.
i hear more graphics are being made for those.