Games Over

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Flux

Games Over

Post by Flux »

So, there goes the weeklong Games quest.

Thanks to all who attended. Mad props to Zot too for the maps. On such short notice too. Hero.

Points that I already consider for the future:
  • Perhaps host all events earlier?
  • Host events alternating between timezones?
  • Do a couple of games a week instead of a weeklong game?
  • Some special ropes that don't degrade with a certain data, if we use the rope game again.
  • Since magic will assumedly be reimplemented by the next games, consideration of whether that will impact any games.
So, things that you as a player might want to recommend:
  • Ideas for new games.
  • Ideas on how to improve the current games.
  • Preferable times, or timing schemes.
And it'd be nice to get some constructive criticism too, on anything in the Games in general. What was good? And more importantly: What wasn't?
forty

Re: Games Over

Post by forty »

While the GMs running the Games made their best effort to make it fun, and they did, it did feel like the poor guys were severely understaffed, having to play multiple roles and handle the technical aspects. While I commend the great work behind the scenes, they could use some help!
Gillian Heathertoe

Post by Gillian Heathertoe »

I got no indication of GM's being understaffed.. though it may have been mentioned in irc, in the games and actual event it wasn't noticeable to me.

Suggestion: No change except next quest have a slightly different time for those that couldn't enjoy it this time but times are Sooo hard to figure out, I would prefer all to be the same (if part of the same quest) even if I can't make it. I would make sure at least a little part of a quest is on the weekend to cover basis of student/worker but think it was planned well.

There will be some that won't like one quest or the other, I don't see that as a problem i.e. my char grouched some but the player really enjoyed it yet not everyone will like every quest. Thanks for the effort, this quest I liked, some others I didn't but I have always appreciated the time and effort.
Jeisa

Post by Jeisa »

I wasn't in game for all the events, but the few that I was in game for - even when it was just part of the event - turned out to be fun. The Games brought a lot of people together and even helped characters meet new characters. All in all, I would call it a huge success. There were a few things that could have been done differently that I personally think would have made them better, though, and you have started to consider those things. For one, and I think this might be one of the more important ones: Having events that run for a few hours every day for a week would be a pretty demanding schedule for players to keep if they intended to show up to all the events. Players have other commitments offline that could get in the way of them getting online at these times - the same every day. I understand that the time that was chosen was chosen in an attempt to find a time which works for all the players of different timezones, but I think, for the next Games, staff should rely on a poll for the players to find the most convenient time for everyone. You'll never be able to satisfy everyone, but the majority should do. Alternating between timezones may also prove useful, as you suggested, as would hosting just a couple events per week to not overwhelm players. The GMs did seem a little understaffed with this one, but I think it might go back to the times and the number of events overwhelming various people again.

For the next Games, I'd suggest making a bigger deal about them in game in the weeks/months leading up to the actual events. Like any event, if you want a crowd, you've got to get the word out. Training sessions within each town would probably inspire more people to get involved in the Games (i.e., Galmair had the most characters attending the Games after pumping up everyone in the town for said Games while hosting training sessions, etc.) and make the Games more fun for even those who don't serve as the champions of their towns. Furthermore, while having bragging rights at the end of the Games is fun, I think there should be a bigger prize - something that really spurs players with their characters to action. Consider making a trophy room in which trophies from past Games, bearing the names of champions who won them, could be found...or have the leaders of towns be a little more willing to entertain their people's requests for bathhouses, mud-wrestling pits, or what-have-you.

In any case, thank you for all the work you put into the Games! They were great!
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Games were 9/10

Needed less Don protests.

On a scale of games, i would place it somewhere around the Sydney Olympics.
Raina Narethil

Post by Raina Narethil »

The Games were fun, More so when you took part then watched of coursed. :D but fun none the less.

Like Jeisa said it brought people together that normally wouldn't meet, even in their own towns do to people being busy and running around.

As for what Gillian said I have to agree the Gm's did a great job and deserve a round of applause.

For the magic, I would say keep it out of these games to make it more open to all like it was. I would rather see the towns hold a totally different magical games. Then to add them these current ones, This gives everyone a chance to take part in all the games.

But all in all a lot of fun, thanks for having them and thanks to the gm's and their hardwork to make them possible.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Großes Lob und vielen Dank für die Spiele.
Hat riesigen Spaß gemacht.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

I wished I could attend one of the games...but It was too late! Sry to say, but you did a REALLY BAD job on deciding the times.
Flux

Post by Flux »

http://illarion.org/media/statistics/us_online_1m.png

They were hosted exactly aligned with the regular playerbase spike, so the largest proportion of our playerbase could take part.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

I don't think you understand. If it's not perfect for me, it's terrible.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Sammy Goldlieb wrote:I wished I could attend one of the games...but It was too late! Sry to say, but you did a REALLY BAD job on deciding the times.
I managed to attend one game for about an hour but they were held too early for me, during work hours in my timezone.
So I don't believe they did a bad job picking the times for them as this proves no matter what time they pick someone will be left out. Still, I do wish I could of participated more.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

A great so no events anymore for german players, only for americans? Thanks, bye i am out.
Flux

Post by Flux »

The games were run by 2 GMs. One from England and one from Germany - both essentially in your timezone, at the peak point where we have the most crossover between players. This was at a time of day when the east coast Americans have only just come home from work if anything, and most Americans are still at work/school. It was not biased towards Americans, it was based on a time when the largest number of players could get a chance to play.
Rakaya

Post by Rakaya »

maybe only one event per day, than it do not take so long
Flux

Post by Flux »

Also, I should mention: On the Wednesday I had to pay my tab and walk out of a restaurant halfway through a meal with 13 friends to run the games that day. On the Thursday I had to ditch another group of friends as we went for drinks after a meal. If the games had been any earlier, I would've had to have completely blown off my friends twice for reunions that were organised a month in advance, or the games wouldn't have happened on those days, as I was playing two leader chars.

If we hadn't had enough players available from each town, either, we wouldn't have been able to have the Games at all, because there wouldn't be enough people to compete in each event, since we often needed 3 or 4 from each town. To get 3 or 4 players who are willing to complete online simultaneously from every town on a weekday is not particularly easy. So, again, hosting things over the course of a single week is something we need to rethink for next year, and finding a good time. But based on the regular hourly, daily and monthly statistics we had, the time we chose was the most logical.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

You GM's did a heck of a good job ,thank you for a heap of fun :lol:
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

Games are over! Again! :shock:

We considered some suggestions and made some changes like run them only at the weekend, only one contest a day, reducing the numbers of contest, less protests by the Don :P ...

However, we would like to ask you also this year for your constructive feedback and ideas for the next time:
  • Which contest did you like most/less?
  • Would you like to drop one or did you miss one?
  • Do you have an idea for a contest you like to share with us?
  • What would make you or your char to participate?
  • Any modifications you like to see? Time, numbers, etc.?
  • Anything else
We did enjoy seeing you competing and we hope you had also fun during the events.

Here again a list of this year's contests:
  • Onion Rally
  • Carrying contest
  • The champions
  • Bridge Race
  • Onion Ball
A small hint for those who participated in the bridge race and had problems to avoid dropping down: auto-run on, double click and you would have run automatically to the goal instead of dropping endlessly. ;) Don't worry, we just figured this out minutes before the event and were scared the event would be super lame and added therefore quickly those flowers but then we recognised, none of you were using the double click function. :P

Die Spiele sind wieder vorbei! :shock:
Wir haben einige eurer Vorschläge bedacht und entsprechende Änderungen unternommen, wie sie nur am Wochenende durzuführen, nur einen Bewerb pro Tag, die Anzahl der Bewerbe reduzieren, weniger Proteste des Dons :p...

Wie dem auch sei, wir würden euch gerne wieder um euer konstruktives Feedback und eure Ideen für das nächste Mal bitten:

• Welcher Bewerb hat euch am besten/schlechtesten gefallen?
  • Auf welchen würdet ihr gerne verzichten bzw. wieder sehen?
  • Hast du irgendeine Idee für einen Bewerb?
  • Was würde dich bzw. deinen Char an den Spielen teilnehmen lassen?
  • Irgendwelche Änderungen die du gerne sehen möchtest? Zeit? Anzahl? etc.
  • Sonstiges?

Uns hat es in jeden Fall Spaß gemacht, euch bei den Wettkämpfen zuzusehen und wir hoffen, ihr hattet ebenfalls euren Spaß.

Hier noch eine List der diesjährigen Bewerbe:

• Zwiebelrennen
  • Tragwettbewerb
  • Der Champion
  • Brückenrennen
  • Zwiebelball

Kleiner Tipp noch für jene, die beim Brückenrennen mitgemacht haben und ständig runter gefallen sind: auto-run einschalten, doppelklick und schon geht es automatisch ins Ziel anstelle immer wieder runterzufallen. ;) Keine Angst, wir sind auch erst kurz davor darauf gekommen und haben gefürchtet, dass das Event schrecklich langweilig werden würde, warum dann auch noch schnell die Blumen hinzugefügt haben. Nur hat dann irgendwie niemand diese Doppelklick-Funktion verwendet. :P
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Possibly one or two a couple of hours later OR 3-4 hours earlier occasionally would be nice.

Mixed times maybe.
Gina South

Post by Gina South »

the games brought many together. Having to have four on a team each time was hard. Perhaps a contest when a player could go twice if not enough players available from that town. Week-end games for me seem to be the best idea as by the time I get home from work it is very late for the Europeans on week-days. In fact I left work early to attend some. The idea of having them at different times appeals.. If I can make some of them that is better than some players having to miss all. All and all excellent job by the GM's... it is a lot of work. Heartfelt thanks to those that set all this up.

For me the onion throwing contest was the best. The carrying contest had technical issues.. which made it frustrating. Son of the mountain should be banned from the Arena game.

Have you considered some type of scavenger hunt?? Or hunt in an area for tokens?
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

I enjoyed watching them all.

I was thinking too about Runewick's lack of participation. I can only wonder as to the dimension this would have added to all the contests, having another team to contend with and dispatch.

I do like Gina's scavenger hunt idea. I would think an initial clue could be given and each team would have to figure out its meaning to find the next, and so forth. This would, however, require no outside communication between team members, meaning no "instant" messaging if they split up for some reason. Each location would instruct them to get something so it would be known that all locations were found and someone didn't just run to the finish line. So, the first location could be the temple of the five and they would need to gather or find a piece of fur or fill a bottle of water. (bottles could be found in a bag near the clue) I would also like to see two teams of two members each from each realm on this contest if possible. More teams that are smaller. Or even up to three teams from each realm. It really doesn't matter as it only takes one team to win. But smaller teams so they can function a little more easily as they run around looking for clues.

Perhaps some individual events would be more appealing to some people? Where any number of contenders could enter for their realm? This could include a collection event, where they are sent out to find any number of items on the spot. Leather, fur, cherry logs, apples, whatever and the first 10 of 12 back with the correct item advance to the next round. I'm thinking the numbers would have to be high enough that the contestants would need to go out into the wilderness and find them. Some may choose to teleport to another realm for them. This, like all contests, would need clear cut rules. And, perhaps a couple of practice runs to shake out any issues.

All in all, a lot of fun, thanks GMs!
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

Taking part in 3 of them I found all fun. Even if the tecnical issues during the carrying contest causes some frustration during the race. One hour later you can laugh about. But next time I'll try to get away accidentialy (of course) the bag of the opposite teams :evil: .

And a huge big hug to the GM's and helper. The sites looked very nice. And the Job as herold and referee isn't easy.

My idea is a relay. Technically, the next starter waits behine a closed gate, that can be opend by a key only. The key is the relay stick. There is no long distance need, maybe once around the little arena of Cadomyr for each starter. The last one has to climb up a pillar with a ladder with one tile in the second level only. So even foto finish is possible.

The ladder on pile leads to a possible sprint contest as well (don't run too far!).

In general the game sites should constructed so that spectators can see start and finish, even without HD+.

I would be sad, if we miss the bridge race. The idea and site is so nice (move finish to left hand of the spectators). Can we have a chance to avoid the auto run? I remember I were not be able to use the autorun to pass gates before the last update. Or one can not use autorun to a target with an item such like gras or flowers on top. Let's hope the last has not been fixed until the next games.

Banduk
Jen

Post by Jen »

Hey :) First of all *BIG THANKS* to the GMs for organizing the whole thing. It was fantastic and incredible enjoyable! Thanks so much for all the work.

About the bridge race: I'm with Banduk on this one. If you could disable auto-walk that would be great, otherwise the race seems pretty pointless. And so much less fun too. I mean, I sat there in front of my PC with my heart pounding and cursing like a sailor: "F***! Don't let them lose because of me!". I bet PO Raina died of several heart attacks. It was great fun.

Other than that I don't have much to add. I think next year I'll kick some asses in Runewick so they'll join! <3
Raina Narethil

Post by Raina Narethil »

I have to agree with Jen.

It was a lot more fun going without the auto-walk, and I am glad those who did take part didn't use it. Because it made it really fun even if I was cursing and banging my head against the desktop for falling off the bridge over 1 million times.

But thanks again to all the GM's hard work and time to put the games together.

Also thanks to the people who took part.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9776

its been there for a while, many people say they dislike something yet do nothing to change it. Please post your opinions here.

The games were fun, it was a gamble at the champion's game and the bridge race looked fun I wish I was there for it. But I agree with Rakust too many Don protests lol
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

Who protested against Eklob participating? :wink:
Wish I could have been ig that day.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

So.. das dies hier ziemlich lang wird (oder zumindest ziemlich lang werden soll) schreib ich es nur auf deutsch... wenn jemand übersetzen kann, nur zu ^^

Sorry for not writing this text in english but since it's a lot text, I think I would need hours to translate it ^^

Also ich gehe jez mal etwas genauer auf die einzelnen Punkte ein die ich bei JEDEM Spiel gut/schlecht fand, für die Planung und Gestaltung haben sich alle Verantwortlichen echt so'n komplett-Feedback verdient. Zur Grobübersicht bewerte ich jedes Spiel auf einer Skala von 0 bis 10, wobei 10 das höchste ist. Vorweg möchte ich betonen, dass ich die spiele super finde, ist eine tolle Idee und das ich hier lediglich meine Meinung zum Ausdruck bringen möchte. :)

Spiel 1: Zwiebelrennen

Das erste Spiel war ja im Grunde eine Neuauflage des Rennens letztes Jahr, bei welchem ein Stock zum Ziel gebracht werden musste. Dieses Spiel (letztes Jahr) hat echt richtig Spaß gemacht. Es gab klare Regeln und man musste den Ast aufnehmen (es war ja dann sichtbar), bevor man ihn weiterwerfen durfte. Das fand ich dieses Jahr deutlich schlechter umgesetzt. An sich war die Spielidee die gleiche, keine Frage, aber dadurch, dass die Zwiebel nur selten aufgehoben wurde, wurde das Team sehr unnötig, man hätte es sogar alleine spielen können, wenn man sich die Zwiebel immer vorwirft (was soweit ich weiß auch ein paar mal passiert ist). Da würde ich die Wiedereinführung des Stocks vorschlagen und das Wiederinkrafttreten der Regel, dass man das Item in der Hand haben und zu einem ANDEREN Teammitglied werfen muss. Auch gab es letztes Jahr noch die Regelung, dass sich, solange keiner den Ast hatte, auch keiner bewegen durfte... fand ich auch deutlich besser, weil dadurch gewährleistes war, das man aufpassen musste wo man hinwirft.
Insgesamt fand ich die Spielidee wie schon letztes Jahr wirklich super, fand allerdings die Umsetzung im Vergleich zum Vorjahr ziemlich schwach.
Würde hier 6 von 10 geben, weil das Spiel und der Spaß dabei sehr unter der Möglichkeit litt die Zwiebel vom Boden aus zu werfen.

Spiel 2: Tragewettbewerb

Wow! Ich hätte mit nem schwachen Char wie Kathy nicht gedacht, dass mir der Tragewettbewerb so viel Spaß machen würde! Die Idee Kohle von A nach B zu transportieren ist ja nicht neu, aber soweit ich weiß (ich habe letztes Jahr nicht an dem Spiel teilgenommen) lag die Kohle letztes Jahr für alle offen sichtbar in einem Steinkreis. Da fand ich die Taschen dieses Jahr echt genial: Man konnte nicht sehen wie weit das andere Team ist, musste also immer volle Leistung bringen. Das die Taschen durch einige technische Probleme das Spiel um einiges schwieriger gemacht haben ist schade, war aber so nicht vorherzusehen (denk ich zumindest) und außerdem hatten ja alle die gleichen probleme, sodass sich dieser Bug nicht negativ auf eins der Teams oder einzelne Spieler ausgewirkt hat. Wobei mir natürlich bewusst ist, dass Banduk erhebliche Probleme hatte... Aber das ist nichts wofür die Verantwortlichen dieses spiels verantwortlich sind, das ist eben ein Bug der noch behoben wird, also alles gut.
Insgesamt fand ich den Wettbewerb wirklich stark, war ne deutliche Verbesserung zum Vorjahr! Auch die Menge (wurde von 1k auf 4 k erhöht, oder?) Fand ich echt sinnvoller. Würde hier 8/10 geben, die zwei punkte gehen dann doch für die anstrengenden Taschen drauf.

Spiel 3: The Champions

Da ich selber beim Spiel nicht dabei war (auch nicht als Zuschauer), kann ich nicht viel dazu sagen und stütze mich hierbei jetzt auf das, was ich gehört habe:
Wettbewerb an sich scheint echt super gewesen zu sein, klingt vom Konzept her auch wie ne super Sache. Tolle Idee! Das einzige was ich allerdings vom Hören echt fies fand war, dass sich das Spiel letztendlich nur durch Glück entschieden hat. Da sollte man vllt. gucken, dass jedes Team immer das gleiche Monster bekommt oder man zumindest so heftige Monster wie den Sohn der Berge komplett außen vorläßt. Sonst kann ich nicht viel dazu sagen und auch keine Bewertung abgeben, da ich den Wettbewerb nicht mitbekommen habe.

Spiel 4: Brückenrennen

Mein absolutes Lieblingsspiel auch letztes Jahr schon. Es ist ne super-witzige Idee so einen Irrgarten aus Brückenelementen zu bauen und die Blumen noch zusätzlich mit einzubauen hat es gleich noch interessanter gemacht. In diesem Spiel muss man sich echt verdammt konzentrieren und die Nerven in Griff bekommen, da man, wenn man schnell schnell machen möchte direkt runterfällt, egal wie gut man sonst in diesem spiel wäre. Vorallem ist es sehr spannend auch bis zum letzten Schritt und Sarangerel hat uns gezeigt, dass es sogar im Ziel noch nicht sicher ist :P
Insgesamt, wie bereits gesagt, mein absolutes Lieblingsspiel bei den Spielen. 10/10!

Spiel 5: Zwiebelball

Zwiebelball ist ohne Frage das ausgefallenste Spiel gewesen. Allerdings auch mein totales Hass-Spiel. Ich fand das Spiel SEHR chaotisch, schon nur als Zuschauer, und halte sowieso nicht so viel davon es als Finalspiel auszutragen. Dieses Spiel kann sehr subjektiv beeinflusst werden (was sicher nicht der Fall war) und ist daher meiner Meinung nach völlig ungeeignet. Ich denke die meiste Zeit wird man darüber streiten können, ob ein Treffer fiel oder nicht, es muss ja nichtmal absichtlich manipuliert werden um eine Mannschaft zu benachteiligen. Zwiebelball an sich find ich echt super und das rp dazu macht auch echt spaß nur für einen Wettbewerb finde ich es reichlich ungeeignet.
Insgesamt ist Zwiebelball ein tolles Spiel, sollte aber nicht als Wettkampf und schon gar nicht als Finale ausgetragen werden. Mein Vorschlag, wenn das Spiel beibehalten werden soll, sehe so aus, dass immer eins gegen eins gespielt wird und dann in so einer Art Turnierbaum. Da spielt dann Cadomyrer A gegen Galmairer A und der Sieger aus dem Spiel gegen den Sieger aus Cadomyr B und Galmair B und so weiter. Das wäre dann natürlich kein Garant für perfekte, unumstrittene Entscheidungen.. aber wo gibt es dir schon, selbst im RL- Sport. Nur mit 4 Spielern isses halt n bischen unübersichtlicher.
Würde hier aufgrund der unübersichtlichkeit und der Gefahr der Manipulation 3 von 10 Punkten geben und die 3 auch nur, weil das Spiel an sich wirklich cool ist.

Ich möchte natürlich, wie meine Vorredner, allen Verantwortlichen danken, die die Spiele möglich gemacht und betreut haben. Es hat wirklich viel Spaß gemacht, auch wenn ich es schade fand, dass Runewick nicht teilgenommen hat. Es war gut, wie die Spiele die Spieler zusammengebracht haben und auch wenn Galmair gewonnen hat ( :evil: ) war's echt super. Auch wenn der Post jetzt vielleicht an einigen Stellen ziemlich negativ klingt habe ich doch (außer Zwiebelball) alles sehr genossen.

Hätte auch noch ein paar Vorschläge für nächstes mal:

- Man könnte wieder eine Art Staffellauf veranstalten (vielleicht aufgrund der Monsterlage nicht über die gesamte Map)
- Was bereits erwähnt wurde: ein art Jagd
- Einen Schieß-Wettbewerb wie letztes Jahr, bei dem die Teams auf gleich starke, farblich gekennzeichnete Monster schießen.
- Ein Irrgarten bestehend aus unsichtbaren Brücken auf dem Wasser (ihr wisst was gemeint ist oder?)

So, hoffe das fasst hier keiner als böswillige Kritik auf ^^