Illarion Impressions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Achae Eanstray

Illarion Impressions

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I would like to open this for feedback...negative and positive on the game. Now that we have had time to play it is a good time for more feedback that is not initial, but would like people to avoid mentioning bugs or things that will be on Mantis unless they want to briefly cover something that has a link to Mantis in the overall impression.

The main thing that disturbs me and I am not sure it could be changed...is that if three people I have roleplayed with can't play with their computer and had to either get a new one, or just not play... how many NEW players are we losing with computers that are still able to play games like WOW but unable to play Illarion?

I am requesting honest and thoughtful feedback not bashing, not "funny" cartoons etc. Thanks

__________________________________________________________________________________

Ich möchte diese Diskussion für positive und negative Rückmeldungen nutzen. Nachdem wir einige Zeit gespielt haben, geht es nicht mehr nur um die ersten Eindrücke. Bitte nutzt für Fehler Mantis, dafür ist es da, es sein denn Eure Eindrücke überlagern sich mit Fehlern.

Thanks @Banduk for translation
Flux

Re: Illarion Impressions

Post by Flux »

Have these people definitely tried updating their graphics drivers? It's such a simple process but it's so vitally important.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

They have updated their graphic cards to no avail and one along with me could manage to get a new computer. the other couldn't afford it....apparently new graphic cards would be hard to install in a laptop. My concern is a new player won't bother with even updating a graphic card usually.
Leon Demelii

Post by Leon Demelii »

I love the game, and everything they did with it. Not to say the old client wasn't great, but they really delivered with this one. The layout of the map was given a massive amount of consideration and it really shows. Even little caves, or small camps you come across was given the same amount of attention as the big places such as towns and dungeons. The NPCs are also grand. At least every two or three minutes you hear a merchant yell out, or see an emote that defines their personality. The best part is, it's not just 3-5 different lines anymore :lol: I think the only thing I noticed that might annoy people about merchants is: On the table in front of them it may show a certain tool that none of the merchants actual sell. I don't see it as a big deal, just a bit misleading. Another great aspect is movement. Although it takes a bit to adapt, there are many ways to move around. Also running! Running is fantastic. :mrgreen: Next on my list is animation of fighting and working. I really enjoy seeing my character actually hitting his target or mining ores. I'm sure I'll add more to this as time goes on and I think of them.

As far as new players not being able to play the game: I'm not completely certain we can do too much other than giving advice and encouraging them to keep at it. I think no matter what, some people will simply get ticked off or discouraged and give up. Which does suck, but there is only so much one can do without teleporting to them and helping them in person. We have an excellent staff who will help in any way they can. I just don't think a noobie can really see that without playing the game for themselves. We can post all we want about how the game is awesome, or threads on how to fix certain problems, I still think a noob may not take the time or effort to do so. :( I am not technical in any way, but I will still try to help anyone that comes to me for advice. Illarion isn't like WOW or Runescape or whatever other games out there. It is, in my opinion, it's own kind and can never be compared to any other game.

So my "Illarion Impression" is: Impressive as f*ck
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

To keep it short for now I've gotten in trouble with the wife because this game is damn addictive. Honestly, the atmosphere is exactly what I wanted Illarion to be since I started in '06. The towns, the map, and the new systems are spot on in my opinion besides the tweaks that will obviously come in time. I am so thankful for the staff and their vision to bring us a game with such depth for absolutely free. I don't really know what to say or do other than thank them and play their game with joy.

It truly is unfortunate that a lot of people can't enjoy this game according to what Achae posted, a shame. I feel sorry for them and for the newbs coming in things will only get better IMO. The staff will tweak and certainly help on IRC so I don't worry about new players showing up. That will come in time and already I am seeing more new players on the Online List than ever before.

Cheers to the Staff!
forty

Post by forty »

Overall, not bad. Some quirks and strangeness in attitude, but not bad.
The community seems a bit strange. A lot of hostility, divided opinions, and genuine OOC tension.
When it comes to RPGs, don't think I've seen one where people are so untrusting of each other and argue so much, as if they purposely try to troll them.
On the other hand, some great people are here also, who instantly plug into your character and become your friends. Maybe because characters are inspired by same books/films, and are easily understood.
Banduk

Lovely car can't hold on the road at low speed

Post by Banduk »

Thanks for your feedback, I'll try to give some more detailed answers now (not having to type on my phone ;) ):
The negative aspects:
1 – Becoming poor
A tax of 91,5% (per year) will destroy any economy. Even Ilarion. Especially not addicted players got a kick in the ass with. Destroying there assets that fast will make most of people feel sick. I put it here since all discussions over the last days show, this will not change!
1) You calculate this value for a RL year. For an ig-year, it doesn't hold. So yes, if you have 100 silver, log in every (ig-) month, not earn anything, and wait for a RL-year, you'll pay 91,5% taxes. However, if you really don't earn ANY money, it's unlikely that you log in every ig-month and it's also unlikely that you even need money.
2) You will get magical gems in return. Much cheaper than usually (about 10 silver each!).
3) This is an in game thing. If you're not satisfied with it, try to change it! It's NOTHING ooc! If you wish to have 0% of taxes, try to fight for it! (However, consider the effect of not receiving gems)
2 – Loosing control
A very good control is destroying itself by overlaying. Much too often a char say 748 or starts moving during a discussion.
Yes, this is an issue. We try to think of changes, but unfortunately we lack ideas. Suggestions welcome!
3 – Feeling jailed
If a 4x100% skilled fighter is not able to walk around without getting killed you not even can imagine how a Noob will feel. A concept with more or less save main roads and crowded dungeons and forests would be acceptable.
We are working on that!

Martin
Last edited by Banduk on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flux

Post by Flux »

The magic skills didn't get deleted, this has been said many times.
martin

Post by martin »

I don't know which taxes are set to 91% annually. They are set to 5% monthly andere thus are 1-(0.95)^12, which ist around 50%. Plus, you receive gems for it which are worth much more.

Martin
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I don't believe anyone has received gems yet.. or maybe that just started.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

I think the game is great, best DnD type game I have ever played, much improved over the last version of Illarion.
Yet if being able to play at all continues to be a problem, none or few will ever know how great it is. First task should be moving the server to a more compliant region. Where you are is not where your players are. This game would soar if it was promoted right and had good access.
Perry

Post by Perry »

I don't know which taxes are set to 91% annually. They are set to 5% monthly andere thus are 1-(0.95)^12, which ist around 50%. Plus, you receive gems for it which are worth much more.

Martin

HUH?? o.o
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

martin wrote:I don't know which taxes are set to 91% annually. They are set to 5% monthly andere thus are 1-(0.95)^12, which ist around 50%. Plus, you receive gems for it which are worth much more.

Martin
illarion year has 16 months 15 with 24 ig days and one with 5. we have 3 ig years per rl year, so we have 48 tax periods per rl year = around 91% taxes
Banduk

Importnat change

Post by Banduk »

@Martin: Why did you change my post and did take the positive aspects out of my post?
For changing control see my Mantis proposals. (WASD away, C & I to F Keys, ALT Mouse Turn without move, Shift Mouse one step only)

Regarding issue 3: Very much thanks to the PO, who shows me how to survive even in the swamp. Walked (or run :wink: ) from Galmair to Runewick and liked the countryside but not the citicen there. Therefore I feel much better now.

Banduk
martin

Post by martin »

Ups, damn.
Instead of clicking "reply", I clicked "edit".

Sorry!
Eventually you could somehow sumarize the rest of the posting? I really didn't intend to do that, I tried to restore it but it failed.

Sorry,
Martin
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Really enjoy the new game more and more as bugs get ironed out "awesome " :D
However im again noticing a somewhat strange favouring of edged weapons (Swords, Axes etc)
Where are the enchanted (magical ) blunt weapons? daggers we have some...bows we have some ,
swords and axes are well represented,
blunt weapons none ,why??
And is it my imagination or have the speeds of blunt weapons been slowed even more?

Totaly loving the new music in Galmair :D .