5 things I'd like to see

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hew Keenaxe

5 things I'd like to see

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

These are just suggestions. The game is awsome when it works right, but I believe these would improve it.

1 - The ability to name characters
2 - Being able to save descriptions or basic phrases
3 - A dedicated button so running is possible while using the num-pad keys for movement
4 - Separating the num-pad from the text editor. Numbers could still be entered to the text editor by using the top keys
5 - The ability to "look" at a character and get a text description

Not sure if this belongs here and maybe it is just foolish of me to even ask for new features at this time.
Still I wanted to post these suggestions anyways.
Nalzaxx

Re: 5 things I'd like to see

Post by Nalzaxx »

I'd like to be able to run diagonally using combinations of WASD.

Some of us don't have a numpad.

Also, I'd like an option to turn of auto-avoid.
Skamato

Post by Skamato »

Please write more details!

It's easy to say I will this and this...

And the best way will be to make with a more detail request a Mantis Task, you can send this also to me and I will make a Task for you, but anyway write more details :roll:

Cheers
Ska
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

I thought mantis was for bugs not suggestions
Miriam

Post by Miriam »

In Mantis you can label your report either as bug or feature request.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Noted, but these still stand
Do I really need to repost them?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Most probably, those things are already on the list, but you better check. And yes, what is not on Mantis is commonly not read by the relevant developers. They cannot browse the board for suggestions all day long. Keep in mind that suggestions need to contain details, your points contain none. Tell us how you want to invoke the action, what should happen in detail, when, how, why,...

The list is full of valid points, however, I can tell you they have a low priority. I can give you a rough estimation of the current priorities:

1. Make Illarion "noob friendly", offer simple quests for beginners and prevent boredom during the first few hours
2. Fix obvious bugs that trouble the game balance (exploits,...)
3. Fix typos in NPCs
4. Improve the client and the server's performance
5. Work on database settings (prices, monsters, weapons,...)
1725. Renting system :-P
1726. Magic system
1727. Priest magic
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

You made your point, dont make a suggestion. Still , I believe this rates above the mule renting system.
It also rates above #3 - Fix typos in NPCs, we can live with a typo, if the game plays right. My main concern is you won't take my suggestion without being offended.
So you now know how I feel, an we now know how you feel, lets hope the game gets better for it.
pharse

Post by pharse »

I think you misunderstood Estralis.
You are always welcome to make suggestions. But if you want them to be done in the near future, you should make them the right way: more details, create a task in Mantis. This topic will be lost in the forums. I have now read your suggestions, but I have nothing to do with client development. Even if I did, I might forget your suggestions and I won't be reminded anymore. Thus it is always clever to create a task on Mantis. That's where development really happens. Not the forums.

Also you might think that typos in NPCs are not _that_ bad. However think of a new player who comes to NPCs with several typos. Not a very good first impression. Here we have only one chance to make it right, otherwise the player might be gone.

I don't think Estralis is offended, I am not offended, we just tell you how it really is: if you want your suggestions to be realized, make them the right way.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

No matter how the suggestions were made, if they have merit, an now we know you have seen them, is there anyway they can be done?
pharse

Post by pharse »

As I've already said, I have nothing to do with client development and all your listed things are client issues.
Nevertheless I can give you some hints (in general as a computer scientist):

1. Maybe easy to realize, maybe difficult, depends on internal character representation.
2. Should be not so hard.
3. Toggling running should be easy, but multiple buttons (run-button + direction) might be more difficult, depends.
4. Should be easy if key invocation was done in a clever way.
5. All scripts are already there, so this is again only a client issue. Should be done in the near future, I guess.

And again: I have nothing to do with client development. I won't do those things. Better post them on Mantis.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:3 - A dedicated button so running is possible while using the num-pad keys for movement
Hold ctrl.
4 - Separating the num-pad from the text editor. Numbers could still be entered to the text editor by using the top keys
Press number lock.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

What pharse said, no offense taken ;-). Suggestions are always welcome, the more details you provide, the better!

It's like this; our developers have long lists of things they want to implement, some of the things might even be what you suggested. But we have to take one step after another. If the client guy works on the client, he will work on crashes that occur and e.g. on the way how items are moved from the bag to the inventory. Naming characters is a nice feature, but it is an additional feature and if a player cannot even equip a sword, the basic requirements are not met.

pharse stressed the importance of the first impression; you are "an old rabbit" as us germans would say, an experienced player. You know how to play this game and think about additional things that might improve your gaming experience. A new player does not know anything about the game. If he runs into unsolveable problems, he will go wtf and abandon the game. The developers of game content - the guys that write the NPCs - cannot help with client issues at all. Their main priority is not to learn how to code the java client and implement naming of characters, but their main responsibility is to fix typos and improve quests.

Once all pressing issues are done, the developers will look into the feature requests and implement them (or not). But no one will browse the forum for suggestions that were posted months ago! That is why we use mantis - to keep track of all issues and suggestions, to assign them to developers, to organise them in categories and so on.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Just so I make sure I completely beat that dead horse
Flux wrote:
Hew Keenaxe wrote:3 - A dedicated button so running is possible while using the num-pad keys for movement
Hold ctrl.
Press number lock.
Pressing the Num-lock does release the text editor, but moving on angles is no longer possible, only north, s,e,w.. Not truely a fix.

Thanks for the Hold Ctrl note though. You can now expect to see Hew sprinting for two steps before falling to his knees then vanishing and reappearing and running two more steps. :D
Flux

Post by Flux »

Hrm, I can move northeast and southeast when number lock is on, but not northwest or southwest.
Perry

Post by Perry »

I can move all directions with the numlock..
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

All I know is I was yelling OHH Sh**! again and again as I tried to use those buttons. I Have since tried again with the same results as Flux
Flux

Post by Flux »

I meant numlock off @Perry.
Perry

Post by Perry »

Yeah thats what I meant @.@ Must be too tired..
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Still, the point I was trying to make initially was to be able to move in any direction using the Num-pad keys while the text editor is open. Instead of...777 AHH..777..AHH.. and ending up a ghost, or worse sounding like a fool.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

A couple of these have been requested in Mantis.. your description could be combined with the request for #me and other easy function keys saved:

http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=7760

0007760: Add function key capability in order to save repeated typing of things like #me
Description The function then save keys were very handy to have when typing especially for #me's and descriptions along with other things frequently typed. If it is still available, it is not in the usual place. It would be nice if that capability was added if not there.

This is a request for the #i.. it apparently was a duplicate of a request in german: http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=8151
kitmubet

Post by kitmubet »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:Still, the point I was trying to make initially was to be able to move in any direction using the Num-pad keys while the text editor is open. Instead of...777 AHH..777..AHH.. and ending up a ghost, or worse sounding like a fool.
that would be nice of course i meant the num pad keys separated to the textbox

actually i like the all what you suggested hew
just some suggestion/opinions

1 i thought of doing something like the old client until i remember right click was the attack toggle :P
2 the same as number 1
3 maybe make it that you have to toggle let say ctrl to switch from run/walk
4 if possible to determine whether it is from numpad or the one on top
5 i assume the look is still viable with how the old client works
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

@Hew & @Flux:

The fact that you can't move properly with the numlock disabled is a bug. Please report it to Mantis. And please, as strange as it sounds send me a image or a list of the labels on the numpad keys.
The system is currently working for the german keyboard layout. I don't have another keyboard but I can try to fix it once I know the secondary assignment of the numlock keys.
Hew Keenaxe wrote:1 - The ability to name characters
This is planned and already requested as new feature in mantis (Issue 0007591). This issue is not "that" easy to be solved because we'd like to store the name you gave the character in the server to avoid the need of a local namefile.
Hew Keenaxe wrote:2 - Being able to save descriptions or basic phrases
This was yet not requested to my knowledge so feel free to add it to mantis. How ever I don't have a nice idea yet how to implement this. The solution using CTRL+Fx to store and Fx to fetch the texts is not really nice...
Holding down the CTRL key should enable you to do just that. If it does not its a bug that should be reported to mantis.
Hew Keenaxe wrote:4 - Separating the num-pad from the text editor. Numbers could still be entered to the text editor by using the top keys
That is very difficult to do by default because the text editor handles the input from the keyboard on its own. Changing this would mean changing the way this component works. If you consider it important how ever feel free to write a feature request of this in mantis.
Hew Keenaxe wrote:5 - The ability to "look" at a character and get a text description
Something like this is planned and already requested in mantis (Issue 0007007).
Nalzaxx wrote:I'd like to be able to run diagonally using combinations of WASD.
This is important and required and already requested in mantis (Issue 0007442). Yet solving this is very complicated due to the nature of how the input is working in the Illarion Client.

Regards,
Nitram
Flux

Post by Flux »

Indeed, it is the secondary functions, Nitram.

http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=8299

It looks like when the chatbox is open, Home, End, Left and Right aren't mapped, but Page Up, Page Down, Up and Down are.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Nalzaxx wrote:Also, I'd like an option to turn of auto-avoid.
Are we talking about permanently disable or temporary disable here? So disable it using a settings option or temporary using some key you hold down?
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Nitram wrote:
Nalzaxx wrote:Also, I'd like an option to turn of auto-avoid.
Are we talking about permanently disable or temporary disable here? So disable it using a settings option or temporary using some key you hold down?
Yea, I think I may use an option like that as well, if implemented
Flux

Post by Flux »

Yeah, I doubt that's the kind of thing someone would periodically want on or off - more like something one would permanently want enabled or disabled. An option sounds preferable.
Llama

Post by Llama »

0. Llamas
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Llama wrote:0. Llamas
That. Would. Be. Awesome.