Training areas?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

themonk

Training areas?

Post by themonk »

Hey folks!

Right id like to know infact id LOVE to know what people think is the best place to train your char in fighting?

I.e. on Gobaith it was wolves and rotworms for dodge and parry and skelebobs and demon skele wellys for slashing etc.

Odviously pvp training is better but im talking about when no one is online and im bored out my tits.

Rechts id gerne wissen, was die Leute denken, ist der beste Ort, um Ihre char im Kampf zu trainieren?

D. h. auf Gobaith war es Wölfe und rotworms für Dodge und parieren und skelett und Dämon Skelett wellys für Hieb usw.

Odviously pvp Training ist besser, aber im Gespräch über, wenn niemand ist online und im sich meine Titten gelangweilt.

Please excuse my deusch.
Qeewee

Re: Training areas?

Post by Qeewee »

Start in runewick on neutral monsters like pigs, sheep. (though running around like an idiot chasing them and murdering them on peoples crops near the farming field is kinda awkward)

Fighting isn't really as easy to solo train as it used to be, you're better off doing it in a group for several technical reasons, even if you're fighting monsters and not fighting each other.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Pigs are great and all but im talking alittle more advanced training, my character is almost maxed in dodge and parry and medium on concussions.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Diamond golems.
themonk

Post by themonk »

I think we are going one extreme to the other here lol
Skamato

Post by Skamato »

Hi!

I think fox and normal wolfs and dogs will be a good idea for the beginning

Cheers
Skamato
Flux

Post by Flux »

It's not what you fight, it's that you fight.

Once you get too strong, you will stop learning from weaker monsters, so you have to keep moving up, but fighting a demon will give you no more skill than fighting a wolf.

Technically, monsters who hit slower, you will learn less dodge and parry from if you are attacking them. If you are just defending, you will learn at the exact same rate as being attacked by a stronger monster.
Jeisa

Post by Jeisa »

Your diamond golem is another's crazy chicken.
themonk

Post by themonk »

That's good advice thanks Flux, so I just find a monster that strikes fast and im able to dodge and find a monster that takes many hits with a blunt weapon (weak blunt weapon) to level with Gurk's staff.

What about magic resistence that seems to level up really slowly if not at all?
themonk

Post by themonk »

Jeisa wrote:Your diamond golem is another's crazy chicken.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddpTlzzgtrA
Flux

Post by Flux »

themonk wrote:That's good advice thanks Flux, so I just find a monster that strikes fast and im able to dodge and find a monster that takes many hits with a blunt weapon (weak blunt weapon) to level with Gurk's staff.

What about magic resistence that seems to level up really slowly if not at all?
I assume magic resistance will be rescripted.

If you want to train dodge, it's irrelevant how fast the monster hits. He can hit you once every 10 seconds. As long as you aren't doing any actions (like hitting back) in between being hit, you will learn dodge at the same rate.

But, obviously, since all high level monsters hit back, it makes sense to attack slow stuff if you want to train your attack skill. If you trained against a monster equally as fast as you, though, you'd max parry, dodge and slash at the same time.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Best to train Slashing weapon, parry, dodge and tactics is following:

Take a woodensword and a shield
search another player equipped qith the same.
Have fun hitting and rp'ing with each other!

Thats a great opportunity to rp fighting while doing it. So use it.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I'd like to note that the new skill system makes it easy for you to "train" in whatever way you like. If you want to kill monsters all day long for loot, you may do so. But if you talk to other players or explore the map, you "lose" nothing during that time. Your skillgain depends mainly on the time you spend online actively. Of course, who does nothing at all gains no skill, but you don't have to bash at each other constantly. You'd learn the same if you take some breaks, talk about the weather, sort your things in the depot and so on.

This game is rather unique in this context; you can play in whatever style you like and you get the same skillgain over time. There are, of course, some reaonable boundary conditions, so you cannot stand around idle and expect to gain any skill from that.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Estralis!

After hours testing...i want to say: It's awesome! You did a really great thing creating the skillsystem. I love it. What else can I say? :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Rincewind
Perry

Post by Perry »

So.. if you spend a lot of time only roleplaying, and then you go slash at a monster, you get 20 level ups? Or does it mean that if you spend your day mainly training, you get to a point where you won't gain anything anymore until you cool off?

While first is rewarding the roleplayer, the second is punishing the one always leveling up.. Which one is it? :D
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Neither.

First off, I'd like to stress that killing mummies is also roleplaying. Roleplaying is not just talking about the weather. Everything you do in this game is regarded roleplaying, be it crafting, talking, killing or casting spells.

There is no "cap" like we had before. You always learn. But yes, if you did not do any skill related actions for a long time, you gain more skill from the individual actions you do. But over time, you learn exactly the same as if you'd bash monsters all day long. It is the same! You can chose and do whatever you like and what suits your role. Also, the control circuit of the skill system is rather "slow"; your mid to long term behaviour counts, like, if you change your behaviour suddenly (as in: talk one hour, then start skilling like a madmen), the control circuit won't "jump", you will experience a continous reduction in your skillgain for each action.

I'd like to stress: There is no need to "cool off". Because if you do nothing, you learn nothing. The main purpose of the skill system is that you can stop bothering about the best method to gain skill. Here it is: Get ingame and play as long and as much and in whatever way you like!

One remark: If you learn nothing during fighting, you should compete with stronger monsters. Same holds for crafting, you cannot master smithing by crafting pins.
Perry

Post by Perry »

Awesome, tank you for the quick and detailed response. :)
forty

Post by forty »

YES!!!!!
Monsters got smart!!!