Proposal: Cadomyr Town Ranks

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tyan Masines

Proposal: Cadomyr Town Ranks

Post by Tyan Masines »

Hello Community,

there has been a lot of ingame and ooc discussion about this topic, and I will not continue that discussion here. ;) I will however give my idea of town ranks in Cadomyr, and humbly ask it is viewed as I mean this - constructive critique.

Explanations:
This is the name of the rank
This is the message I'd imagine for players to receive ingame when appointed and when asking the rank NPC <- those are only exemplary, of course.
((These are explanations / annotations when I deem it necessary to explain further why I had something in mind.))

Let's get started!

I have parted ranks 1 to 10 into three groups: Citizenship (rather civil), Knighthood (as it reads in the lore, Cadomyr is all about knights, the workers are below that) and finally nobility. I'd propose that border ranks between the three groups take longer to acquire, while gaining rank within a group is more simple.

CITIZENSHIP
1. Guest

You are a guest in Cadomyr. The guards allowed you to enter, but be aware that your every step will be watched. You are a stranger to this town and have the right to trade with the merchants and walk Cadomyr's streets. If you strive to become a more respected person in this city, you should seek out people you could help...

((This is technically rank 0, the one people start with.))

2. Aspirant Citizen

You have helped a few people and your name is mentioned by crafters and merchants on the market. No one in the palace has ever heard of you though and also the administration only has you as a number and a name hidden away under a huge pile of registration papers. Keep up the good work and you might be able to reach citizenship in Cadomyr.

((The whole deal with citizenship is that I think right now titles that refer to higher ranks in real life (I know, I know, this is not real life. But still it is confusing, don't you agree?) and it would make more sense for people to gain ranks more slowly, only reach big names later. Also, gaining the actual citizenship (or similar) has been a BIG deal in ancient and medieval times.))

3. Citizen

You have been appointed a citizen of Cadomyr! Congratulation! But don't you think the important people will have ever heard of you. You are still a name and a number, but a citizen nevertheless. You have all the rights and responsibilities now: Pay your taxes well, contribute to the welfare of Cadomyr and take up the sword to protect her and her Queen with your very life if necessary.

4. Squire

You have pushed further, you want to accomplish more in this realm. The knights of Cadomyr have heard your name once or twice and you have been appointed a squire of Cadomyr. Server her faithfully and you might one day be able to join the noble and well known and respected ranks of the knights of Cadomyr, who serve the Queen most faithfully.

((I'd propose a larger gap here, as the next rank will be the beginning of Knighthood.))

KNIGHTHOOD
5. Knight Errant

You've made it to the rank of a knight errant, and thusly have entered Knighthood in Cadomyr! Your name might have been mentioned in the palace once or twice, but surely no one will remember it. The knights know you, the guards know you, the people know you. You are still not a full knight though, and failure could lead to losing your privileges again. Remember: With title comes responsibility and duty. You will be watched, for better or for worse.

((As you can see I propose introducing lesser steps when it comes to big words. Meaning, it's strange to see everyone running around being a baron, a reeve, a lord.))

6. Knight

You are a full-fledged member of the Knighthood of Cadomyr now. The Queen has given you a sword - along with many other newly introduced knights in the palace. It is a great accomplishment for your still, as you are a well respected member of this society now, with all rights and responsibilities. Serve Cadomyr and her Queen faithfully, Sir Knight, and carry this title with dignity and pride!

((From what I can read about the lore ingame, knights play a big role in Cadomyr. The current titles do no resemble that. Now they would. :) ))

6. Knight Commander

You have served Cadomyr long and faithfully and have reached a new step. You have been called before the Queen alone, who thanked you for your faithful service and reminded you of your duty. You are the backbone of the Cadomyran Army, a person of great respect. Most people will never reach what you have reached, but if you continue the good service, you might one day be appointed into even higher ranks...

7. Grand Master

The Queen has awarded your good service by naming you Grand Master of your own devision of knights. On the battlefield you will be a commander, in society you hold one of the highest rank people can imagine. Walk the streets with pride and continue to serve Cadomyr and her Queen, long may she reign!

((A lot of knight titles. Because lore tells me knights are important. ^^ I'd propose another gap here, as we enter nobility now))

NOBILITY
8. Baron / Baronesse

Rejoice! You have been raised into nobility and been given the title of a Baron. The people of Cadomyr know you, the people in the palace know you, the Queen knows you. You are well respected and listened to in times of peace and war.

9. Viceroi / Vicereine

You have been rewarded with the title Viceroi. Although this is a great accomplishment, you'll have to watch what you do and say from now on even more than before. You represent one of the highest titles possible in Cadomyr and what you say and do will directly influence what outsiders and citizens think of the policy in Cadomyr.

10. Duke / Duchess

You have come a long way, but there you are: A Duke of Cadomyr. Everyone in town knows you, and even the Queen respects your council in all times. You have reached the highest rank possible for you and may now claim land to build on. You are one of the highest authorities in Cadomyr and all its lands, with all the rights and responsibilities which arise from that. Serve Cadomyr and her Queen faithfully until you enter Cherga's realm, Duke, and strive to bring Cadomyr to even greater glory!

((Alright, that's it. I'm unsure about the "you are now allowed to have land" thing but imho it would make sense. If you want to build something (if even possible anytime) you'll have to be of the highest rank in town. Also assures those characters don't go inactive too fast.))

Ok, hope you like this. I'm unsure how easy this would be to introduce into the game, but I think it wouldn't be too late to make changes to the current system. People have gained ranks already which could simply be transferred into the new names (could they?) and we could go on with this (or anything else) from now on.

Or you could just say, screw you Tyan, I'm going home. :)

Anyways, hope you like it and

Regards!
Djironnyma

Re: Proposal: Cadomyr Town Ranks

Post by Djironnyma »

I like these title much more as the current one, even if i think it shouldnt be able to become noble by static quests

Alternativ maybe use more officer ranks like Marshall, Captain, Major - if it is possible to make the last rank unreachable without gm it could become Baron or simmilar.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

While I am not too fond of the current rank names as well, I sense a "no fix" here. By changing the names you do not change the way how people progress through those ranks. I'd like to share with you this information:

ONE character is rank 7.
TWO characters are rank 6.
FOUR characters are rank 5.
FOUR characters are rank 4.
FOUR characters are rank 3.

This is the sum of ALL factions. The top three chars are all members of Cadomyr. So, in other towns, you do not get to high ranks that easily. Reason? Cadomyr has most quests. This is a certain inbalance; so what we'd have to do is to add more quests to the other towns and then reconsider how you advance through the ranks.

I don't think the proposed ranks are a major improvement. What I do not like and won't second is the use of "nuances", e.g. Knight Errant -> Knight -> Knight Commander. The ranks should be distinctive.

In the current rank list, I could use a replacement for "Lord" and "Reeve" plus one or two additional rank names to push the baron one rank up. Please note that the ranks have to exist in both, english and german language, this makes this task quite tricky.
Tyan Masines

Post by Tyan Masines »

Djironnyma wrote:I like these title much more as the current one, even if i think it shouldn't be able to become noble by static quests.
Yes, I agree on that. Maybe the static quests should only get you to a certain level, say, 4 or 5, and only dailies (which give only very little points to advance) will get you any further. This would make it so people can advance quickly through SOME ranks, and later can only rise by being around and doing dailies for a LONG time, or by being rewarded due to quests. I reckon that GMs give out reputation of faction leaders due quests, which is imho the best way to secure a logical and balanced way for rising into the highest ranks.

I believe it should be agreed on how far players should be able by generic quests (by the Admins and GMs) before others towns are provided with more quests, and later all three towns should be balanced. It would be unfair if it remained as such that players can rise higher in rank in Cadomyr than in other towns.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

I guess my only comment to the topic would be that each rank should have some impact on the character.

Examples:
  • Tax break?
  • NPCs calling you Milord... or other easter eggs
  • Lords should be able to buy property/buildings
  • Court? (obviously that would just be for Cadomyr) Maybe in Galmair a lordly poker game, and in Runewick whatever...
Estralis Seborian

Cadomyr's ranks will change with the next patch.
Tyan Masines

Post by Tyan Masines »

The names, or also how they are reached?

Also, will there be a rank-wipe for characters currently holding ones, or will they be transferred?

Regards
Estralis Seborian

Just the names change.