Bad guy dos and donts

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

themonk

Bad guy dos and donts

Post by themonk »

Hi id like people and the GMs input on opinions and rules on how to be a bad guy (outlaw) in the new illa.

There are a few characters get frowned upon there actions and shunned and handicapped by other players complaining. Just because the characters an A£$"hole doesn't mean the guy playing him is.

Ive always played good guys infact four of my chars are good. Id like to try a baddy. The first few hours I found difficult and felt some people didnt like it and took it beyond there characters opinion.

Id like people to post on here what they would like a bad guy to do and what they think is bad RP so I don't offend anyone with my bandit lizard.
Last edited by themonk on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Po Will

Re: Bad guy dos and donts

Post by Po Will »

Playing a good guy - easy as hell.

The back bone of a good story line is in the other side. If they can hold up, if they can manage themselves properly and well; then they're the best thing that can happen in a RP. I've said for years that it takes more effort to be a bad guy simply because you cannot hack and slash then run. No, you're playing a roleplaying game so, you're going to need to know your characters motivations, their desires and what's pushing them in that direction. You've got to have more than: " I'z is bad guy, brah! " That routine gets boring very quickly.

Emote clearly and often. If you're going to attack someone, do so but make sure you emote. Don't god mod everything to suit your character. He/she will have up and lows here and there so if you're not winning every fight; it's okay.

I could go more into detail, but that about sums it up.

Oh and ps:
Nothing's worse than a power gaming mage pretending their roleplaying when they're gaming their way through it with no real emotes.
Dun' be that guy :P
themonk

Post by themonk »

Po Will wrote:Playing a good guy - easy as hell.

The back bone of a good story line is in the other side. If they can hold up, if they can manage themselves properly and well; then they're the best thing that can happen in a RP. I've said for years that it takes more effort to be a bad guy simply because you cannot hack and slash then run. No, you're playing a roleplaying game so, you're going to need to know your characters motivations, their desires and what's pushing them in that direction. You've got to have more than: " I'z is bad guy, brah! " That routine gets boring very quickly.

Emote clearly and often. If you're going to attack someone, do so but make sure you emote. Don't god mod everything to suit your character. He/she will have up and lows here and there so if you're not winning every fight; it's okay.

I could go more into detail, but that about sums it up.

Oh and ps:
Nothing's worse than a power gaming mage pretending their roleplaying when they're gaming their way through it with no real emotes.
Dun' be that guy :P
Lol oh no id never do that been on the receiving end of Kel ra qwan and it not nice to watch haha!

If you could go into more detail id like that I want to be a good badguy and need as much help as I can get. Seeing this outlaw "faction" is a big chance for a lot of people to fulfil that desire
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Personally, being as I have already had considerable experience with you outlaw character...I rather like him, and think your doing a fine job.

I hope to see more of him in the future.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

If it was you Gray met earlier, I'd say you are playing him fine. I like Golbad alot too (he makes me laugh a lot). I just feel worried that Gray is turning into some kind of law enforcer :o ! He knows how to push peoples buttons and put on a nice charming, sparkling hat for people in order to get what he wants, but still. Coin and wealth is what it's all about.

I think the problem with playing a bandit around Galmair is that, stereotypically, that is were a lot of 'rough around the edge' and 'potential villain' char's live.

I've got a typical cultist/moshran (what's a Moshran?) follower in the making, for example, who'll prob end up roaming and wreaking havoc (if I get around to it) in places like the wildlands, picking off unsuspecting wanderers. As well as maybe the borders of Runewick and Cadomyr. The logic there is that, stereotypically, Runewick is filled with pompous 'do-gooders' and Cadomyr is filled with righteous and honorable 'heroes'. I think those two places are crying out for villains to come and stir some trouble.

But yeah, I like Golbad and the lizard. Characters like that keep Illarion interesting.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Kugar wrote:If it was you Gray met earlier, I'd say you are playing him fine. I like Golbad alot too (he makes me laugh a lot). I just feel worried that Gray is turning into some kind of law enforcer :o ! He knows how to push peoples buttons and put on a nice charming, sparkling hat for people in order to get what he wants, but still. Coin and wealth is what it's all about.

I think the problem with playing a bandit around Galmair is that, stereotypically, that is were a lot of 'rough around the edge' and 'potential villain' char's live.

I've got a typical cultist/moshran (what's a Moshran?) follower in the making, for example, who'll prob end up roaming and wreaking havoc (if I get around to it) in places like the wildlands, picking off unsuspecting wanderers. As well as maybe the borders of Runewick and Cadomyr. The logic there is that, stereotypically, Runewick is filled with pompous 'do-gooders' and Cadomyr is filled with righteous and honorable 'heroes'. I think those two places are crying out for villains to come and stir some trouble.

But yeah, I like Golbad and the lizard. Characters like that keep Illarion interesting.
I have to agree, Galmair seems like a...slightly unusual place to terrorize as a bandit. Being as all of us are slightly questionable in moral. Like I said earlier..those folks in Runewick are a little bit more squishy, from what I hear.

@Kugar: Don't worry, I think things will play out in the end with us all in a slightly more...dark reputation.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Find Fianna IG.... she will let you rob her naked.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I'd love to hear the inside story behind that. I wish I was an oldie. :(
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Ghosting penalties are severely lessened now, so pvp issues should be much simpler for all parties involved. It is a little bit of an issue with thieves, as I've seen dealing with muzaladin whose been ghosted plenty of times and ignores my #mes ((cant just ghost someone and take back what was stolen anymore))... Even though ghosting is immensely more generous than it used to be, doesn't mean you can walk away from a cross and act like nothing happened, and treat a character as if there are no consequences. If you're planning to play a thief and you're beat down, you should consider returning the belongings or at least cooperating with some RP. I think the only severe issue that may come from bad players in the vbu are those who are acting 'evil' but show absolutely no yield when they are beaten, even temporarily. No one expects you to give up and change alignments if you're beat, but you have to play the situation. But even if that is ignored, it wont be much more than a temporary annoyance.

Playing bad guys will be very difficult though with the new faction system. Acting against citizens of your own town is simply illogical and will not lead to much fun for anyone. It'll also get you swiftly removed as a citizen of that town. Except maybe galmair if your filthy rich and can bribe the don.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Often, playing evil-concepted chars ends up in a mess because the character has no concept besides being a evil character type.
That often ends up in the player endlessly annoying others with repeated duel requests and the like. And it also happens that the player behind the "evil" character has a totally different expectation on how his character has to be treated by other characters than how it happens in the end. Because of that, some "evil char players" can feel very misunderstood and end up frustrated, some can overreact and start OOC discussions ingame, forum rants, likewise. Often, the wish for playing a cool evil type character ends up in Real Life - frustration for the villain player and players of chars around.

I've summed up a generalized concept collection that should make it easier to create a character that acts in a certain way (be it good or evil or whatever).

I've posted it in the newbie section, but i encourage even olbies to check it out, perhaps it brings up some nifty ideas.

Here's the link to: Character concepts: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Have fun !
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

tl;dr version: dos and donts are the same for all chars. That's why we have one set of game rules for everyone.

I just read that and I'll QFT "forget about purely black and white".

You can split those up into a million more steps in between, but that will never change the fact that good and evil is in the observer's eye and nowhere else. The only opinions on right and wrong that should matter in character creation is your own char's. Just ask yourself what he/she values and hates, not if that is good or evil. What any player thinks of abiding the law ooc for example is irrelevant for a character concept.
...with the chance that other players that observe the act can interrupt it or even beat the evil one...
Whether you think you are playing a good or evil char, consideration for other players, cooperation and admitting defeat when beaten is always good advice.
It's always a good idea to choose your „victims“ amongst your friends and other fellow players : They can create characters that exist solely for the purpose of being publically killed off or robbed by your evil character.
This just leads people to think they have some sort of right for their chars to never get robbed if they didn't plan it beforehand. Isn't it much more fun for such scenes to develop spontaneously and unexpected even if only in small doses?
Sure its frustrating to have you char robbed of everything every day, but I'd say everyone should accept that it might happen to one's own char, powerful or not.
Perry

Post by Perry »

Hello!

I'm a rather new player so I don't know much about how Illarion is treating bad guys or how bad guys have played here in the past. But, before I came here, in this nice game we all curently play, I was an UO shard player. Maybe not many have heard about it, but in many ways, it is very similar to Illa.

Allow me to share some of my experinces from there, because on this topic's subject, I have much to tell. Yes, I have used to play a bad guy, in almost all roles that a bad guy can have: started from low level thievery, to banditry, gathered a group of people playing on similar morals, became the leader of the most hated assassins guild in the game.

If there is any advice to be given, is this: if you want to play a bad guy, prepare to be hated. And I don't mean just in the game, your character, but yourself as well, as a player. Like it or not, people tend to identify themselves with their chars they play and if you annoy them enough, they will hate your guts and if they can't stop you inside the game (my guild was unstoppable), they will do everything in their power, as players, to either get you banned or make you hate the game so much that you leave by yourself.

If you remember that, all other pointers to playing a successful bad guy are simple:
- your actions have consequences (if you annoy enough people, they will start hunting you down.. if you are not much of a fighter to make them leave in tears, you'd better learn how to hide and be more subtle).
- even if your char is a mean son-of-a-bitch (forgive my french), you as a player, always be nice and civil. Try not to ruin people's game too much.. Everybody is a player, just like you are.
- make people's encounter with you be fun, for them as well, not only you. So, if you are going to rob them dry, at least compensate that with some nice roleplay.
- people often think that being a bad guy means that you need to have maxed skills. No, that is very wrong! In the UO I played, there was once this guy, who had almost no skills at all. He just spent his entire day roleplaying, manipulating people to do his bidding. He became the leader of a faction later on.
Valen Tiercelion

Post by Valen Tiercelion »

That's why we have one set of game rules for everyone.
We do, but this hasn't been how it's been done. Good players appear to be defined as the ones who do nothing, cause no action, and in short play the part of an NPC or as those who are sufficiently in the favor of certain GMs to be considered such even if they blatantly break the rules. Bad chars are those who are hated by players who have difficulty realizing a character in conflict with their character isn't necessarily in conflict with them.

Likewise, some GMs seem to dislike any character that doesn't lick the boots of the GM char they're playing by default, especially if that character is adding more life to the game than theirs is. In that case, use of insta-kills explained as crossbow bolts flying through a door a screen away and swerving around to hit the character behind a stone wall may occur.

Another common technique might be a beam him down Scotty, where a character is taken out of the game world and flashed into the new quarry prison without any roleplaying or actions consistent with what your character may have been doing with him. It is what it is.
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Valen Tiercelion wrote: Likewise, some GMs seem to dislike any character that doesn't lick the boots of the GM char they're playing by default, especially if that character is adding more life to the game than theirs is.
It's of course only a question of money, didn't you know that? :shock:
Damien

Post by Damien »

And don't forget about the sexual favours !
You have to be 21 of course.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Valen, what you appear to think is "bad guy roleplay" is what the game rules think is "begging for a perma ban".
themonk

Post by themonk »

Some people think being a badguy is :

> Diving there char on the ground where an item exchange is going off or appearing near the end of a treasure map quest and grabbing all the treasure before everyone else. THEN ignores anything the victim char is saying and ignoring emotes by the victim and walking away with the items.

> May not happen anymore but gemming up a mage or a warrior and randomly going into a town and taunting people then wiping the whole town out with either the famous KEL RA QWAN or hacking with a fireaxe (the mages where the worst for it).

> Hitting people and running away. Any kind of forced roleplay without emoting first.

This is just through experience I have seen people do it and to be honest I personaly didn't mind much just thought they were bored and satisfying themselves through everyone else or trying to grab items and money to save themselves time earning it through the game.

BUT I don't want MY badguy to be like that, im thinking of actual step by step goals he needs to gain until he is even ready to make any big changes. The first step is to team up with others who share his views and ambitions.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Personally I think lawful evil is the best way to play a character in Illarion.

To me, the best kind of bad guy doesn't kill, or dress in a cult robe and sit in the corner of the tavern with his hood up. He isn't hated by all, or anti-establishment. He manipulates. He doesn't need to hide, because he breaks no laws. He doesn't oppose authority, he might even have very close ties to them. He merely always acts for complete self gain.

But that doesn't mean pure selfishness. Altrusim can be extremely beneficial. Just because someone is being kind or helpful doesn't mean they're not doing that for self benefit. Perhaps they're gaining trust so they have personal backup, or they can call in a favour later.

As I see it, the perfect villain is a man who could potentially live his whole life without ever needing to do a bad deed. In some parallel universe, they may even die a national hero. But, if presented with an opportunity in which they could get clean away with the most foul, egregious act in the world without any reproccusions and it would benefit themself, they would seize that opportunity without hesitation. They would let no person get in the way of their overall ambition.

Now, perhaps they value money, or power more than they value their loved ones, but they would not reveal this until provided with an opportunity to sabotage their own friends and family for their desire. But that's not to say that they are incapable of love. In fact, it could even by their primary motivation. Perhaps longing and insecurity, or infatuation leads them to commit vile acts.

A lot of the time, villains do not realise they are villains. Perhaps they perform mental gymnastics and convince themselves that what they're doing is right. Or, perhaps they are relative moralists who fundamentally disagree with the idea that their action could be bad. Perhaps they were just doing what was most logical, but it happened to lead them down a path of perceived sin.

What I find a rather more shallow villain is:
"I am so evil. I love killing people, and the feel of blood [blah blah drivel]."

Because, really, anyone who is brought up to think that is acceptable behaviour is in some sort of barbaric tribe, brought up by someone really sick, or just mentally deluded, and those are all such massive roleplaying copouts. Evil should be a slow influence, something that builds up in small steps. Noone is born evil. You shouldn't play a bad guy because you think it's cool.

In essence: The best bad guys become bad because of what happens to them. You shouldn't try to force this, "Oh, this is a great opportunity for my character to become evil". You should roleplay them as a person with certain principles and mannerisms and ambitions, and let the world shape him into a good or bad guy.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I'd argue the best way to play a bad guy is to not to.

Because there should be no such thing as a bad guy. Is a guy who kills 10 Runewickians evil? Or is he a Galmair war hero?

Is the guy who sells overpriced rare products which are desperatly needed in a town evil? or a good buisinessman?

Is the guy who waits for and then kills an unarmed crafter because he doesn't believe in the same god as he is evil? Or is he a great Paladin?

The best evil guy isn't the guy who gets kicked out of town for eating a bag of puppies, but the guy who discreetly tramples on people to get to the top. And that's fun.
Flux

Post by Flux »

I agree with you Adrian, but I wish you wouldn't use "killing people" as a metric. I understand its relevance for the example, but killing shouldn't even come into question when we're talking about Illarion. PKing is NOT a measure of how evil your char is, AT ALL. You should avoid killing, regardless of if you are a GOOD GUY or a BAD GUY.

That is the difference between being a good player, or a bad player. Not a good guy and a bad guy. Illarion is a multiplayer game, which is supposed to be fun for everyone. Your chars may be "against" other chars, but that is not the same as you being against their players.

A bad guy who kills an innocent is JUST AS BAD as a good player who vaniquishes a bad guy with a PK.

Just because someone is seen as a bad guy doesn't mean they're fair game for a kill, and likewise a bad guy who kills people for no reason is just a really, really badly roleplayed character.

Perhaps in some circumstances (war is one), PKing can have a good reason behind it. If someone had been PKing people, I could understand a retaliation PK. But I played my main since 2005, who's consistently been seen by many as a bad guy, because of who he associated with and some situations he found himself in. As a maxed mage, with years of pvE experience under my belt, I would have been able to PK 95% of the playerbase without even trying, but only once have I EVER seen a need to kill a character as a player (except in acts of self defense), and that was because was someone running away and ignoring emotes back in '07.

The only times I've EVER seen where a PK would be an acceptable response to something is if someone already started engine playing you, ignoring roleplay etc.

Oh and by the way, THAT IS NEVER A REASON TO RES KILL A PLAYER. You tell the ingame leaders and the STAFF about stuff like that, you do NOT res kill someone, regardless of how bad their rp is.

Stealing people's items with engine play, and PKing for no good reason, are just completely not at all a sign of your character being evil, they're a sign that your roleplay sucks.
Valen Tiercelion wrote:in short play the part of an NPC
Oh, and by the way, this isn't a bad quality at all; these are the BEST players who make the game world real. Players who aren't roleplaying some ridiculous Mary Sue. Illarion has enough Supermen. The best roleplayers play characters who are "nothing special". Maybe they become special over time because they've been around so long, but they don't start off having had their family slain by orcs and sold into slavery.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Bad guy is a wide definiton isn't it? Doesn't really define anyone at all.

There's the kind that struggles for money no matter the cost. Either manipulative and friendly, using smarts to get what they want. Or perhaps the ones who mug unarmed people on the road, not caring about the lives of the people mugged, though not killing them unless there's a good reason to.
Of course as mentioned the manipulative one here is much more welcomed in illa than the mugging one, mostly because most illarion characters will avoid the bad guys that sort to violence, because: Who wouldn't avoid an obvious criminal in real life?

Then there's also the evil that hasn't been mentioned far too much here. Sadists, psychopaths, the kind that many might oocly not like because it is very difficult to pull off. Because, people like this have an unique way of thinking that often go against normal human instincts. So unless you think like them, it can be difficult to fake, and you might overdo it which people might pick up and dislike. Though again, a manipulative psychopath or sadist might be more welcomed than a sadist that goes about trying to kill people in a town or to kidnap them to bring them home to his cave and whip them to death.

The worst "evil" though that no one should play, and shouldn't confuse with a bad guy, is the one that won't lose. The one that believes he is a God, refusing to lose to anyone. If he gets ghosted , he just walks away from the cross pretending not to be harmed and goes right back to the person who ghosted him to pick a fight again. The guy that turns things into ooc, uses ooc knowledge for his gain in game. The guy that thinks breaking the ooc rules of the game, is being a bad guy IG, and that fighting the staff is a good thing. Basically the guy who thinks his character is an avatar of himself.

Basically in illa, being manipulative is good no matter what evil you play, as being the brute that fights all the time will get you a lot less RP, and what's so fun about the RP that comes from and starts with killing someone? It's often short lasting, and not very fun.
There's the greedy kind of evil, and the mentally ill evil, the second more difficult to roleplay without overdoing it. And theres also the bad guy that you should never be, the kind that gets a permaban pretty quick.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Damien wrote:It's good to let a character grow, to develop it slowly. Also, it usually does not work well to play a character as evil from the beginning, because that character scheme always leads to not having (m)any friends – starting a bad/evil/villain character with a normal concept and changing it over a longer time when his influence and ressources grow is a much easier (and much more interesting) approach, therefore i'd recommend that.
I think this absolutely nails majority of problems with 'bad guys'. I've seen so many players come into this game and start thieving right off of the bat. They get ghosted, banned, hunted, ghosted again and start complaining that 'good guys' are ruining their game. The reality of the situation is that the character is playing a nobody character with no skills and no friends, and no one cares IC or OOC about them or their downfall. Take Stephen Rothman. Although I disliked him quite alot OOC, no character could ever have rallied the support or pulled off the shit he did without having developed a character for over a year. He had majority of the player base after him and he was able to enjoy the game quite a bit because he had allies, supplies, money, skill.

You can't just jump in and play a bad guy without planning or thinking. Just like real life, If I run into a gas station and snatch some stuff of the shelves and run out, or any other similar crime, i'll most likely end up in jail pretty quickly.

This is even more present with the VBU and the factions. Authority is GM run now, and they are rather present, but they also follow the rules of the world and maintain power over their faction. If you start playing a 'bad guy' and cause trouble in the faction you start in, then you will most likely be swiftly removed and left in the wilderness with no skills, no friends, no belongings and have to reroll.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Flux is right on the money. On everything tbh. Flux ftw.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Why shouldn't a player just be allowed to run up to someone and bash the hell out of them with no emotes? NPCs do it all the time.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Actually, they don't ;).

In Illarion, monsters and NPCs are distinctly different entities in terms of code and capabilities. NPCs can assign HP reduction, but they won't fight you.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I think the most important question you need to ask when designing an 'evil' character is, "Why will people want to interact with me?"

If you can't come up with a convincing answer to that question, the character is unlikely to be thought of as a good villain.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

@TheMonk: Just by you creating this thread it shows me that you already have what it takes to make a good "bad/evil" character. It is all about consideration IMO, if you are already thinking in your head, "How can I make this fun for me and the person/character I am interacting with IG." you are doing it right by the rules/vision established for this game.

Now the question I have would be what is your vision for your character? Anything is possible: evil cultist,thief, assassin, or anything in between? Like some have already mentioned however some POs will take your actions personally.

So the ultimate question now is this, will you create a separate forum account and protect your identity?
Flux

Post by Flux »

HolyKnight wrote:evil cultist,thief, assassin
I'd argue that rolling up any of those characters is a bad idea.

Cultist:
Huge alienation of everyone else, noone else is likely to be in the "cult" that you're in. General involves just walking around "acting evil", so everyone will just ignore you because that's extremely boring.

Thief:
Reliance of other players to just give you their hard earned things. Nice players will probably give you some stuff, but only rubbish they didn't want anyway. If you engine play it by picking up stuff when people are trading you're just looking to get your head smashed in.

Assassin:
Noone will ever hire you, and if you just decide to make up jobs and kill people, you have no rp reason for it, which is against the rules. You'd also have to put months of skilling into this build or someone's going to kill you.

Also, making a new forum account implies that you know people are going to dislike you as a player for playing this character. If you think that people will hate you because you're spoiling their fun, there's a fundamental flaw in the character concept.
themonk

Post by themonk »

HolyKnight wrote:@TheMonk: Just by you creating this thread it shows me that you already have what it takes to make a good "bad/evil" character. It is all about consideration IMO, if you are already thinking in your head, "How can I make this fun for me and the person/character I am interacting with IG." you are doing it right by the rules/vision established for this game.

Now the question I have would be what is your vision for your character? Anything is possible: evil cultist,thief, assassin, or anything in between? Like some have already mentioned however some POs will take your actions personally.

So the ultimate question now is this, will you create a separate forum account and protect your identity?
Thanks for appreciating the thread.

My answer to your questions are.

My char isn't going to be some well known rich political leader with a dark secret and manipulates people like Flux mentioned, even though that's a good idea, bit like a super villain in a james bond movie.

He is basically a born outcast someone who has been left to fend for himself and only abides by his own rules. He hates law enforcement and considers people joining the factions as sheep that horde up in a farm owned by the queen or don or the archmage.

Hes rude and speaks his mind, hes always up for a fight, a cutthroat mercenary an ex pirate captain of his own ship.

His plan is to gather up "outcasts" from the factions and form a kind of crew that can help each other profit through any means.

This is all I got so far on him.

He has some honour and he may even show the odd honourable deed now and then he is BAD not EVIL. but he may work for an evil super villain should he arise???
Flux

Post by Flux »

I won't discourage you from roleplaying anything provided it's within the game rules, but that sounds like a generic PK build.