VBU First Impressions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Thargon

Re: VBU First Impressions

Post by Thargon »

No royal fan waver for the queen human who sits in the tavern. would give print screen evidence but the forum won't let me upload.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Was mining yesterday. It spawned a golem. It killed a poor guy who was in the mine and since the mine is accessable only through a stairs, lots of people are going to have a nasty surprise.

Please remove this. Golems are DANGEROUS creatures.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Well then search a dangerous char or maybe as hand full and kill it? :D thats the mind behind this features, not entain miners with mosh-mobs but force players of any kind to work together, to interact.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Forcing people to work together isn't the way forward though. People should work together because they want to.

Miners shouldn't need to be fighters too. If I don't feel like killing al 21 creatures on the path to the mine I should be able to run (which I can ^^), if I want to go there with a fighter and clear it out, it should be my choice.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Llama wrote:Was mining yesterday. It spawned a golem. It killed a poor guy who was in the mine and since the mine is accessable only through a stairs, lots of people are going to have a nasty surprise.

Please remove this. Golems are DANGEROUS creatures.
Dude, post such things on Mantis, please!
Llama

Post by Llama »

But its not a bug, its a feature. It has its own message and sound effect.

I'll put it under feature requests.
Nikolaus

Post by Nikolaus »

Its a bug if the monster is WAAAAAYYYY too strong.
Estralis Seborian

As of yesterday, the spawn of monsters during mining was totally broken. I just fixed that. I did not review the monsters. Note that VBU development began in 2009 and some aspects are even older. No one knew how strong a golem would be back then...

All in all, if something really troubles you, do not post here but on Mantis. We cannot browse the boards daily for individual issues. Threads like these are great for... general observations, like, how you like/dislike that you have/don't have static tools for all kinds of crafts, distributed over the towns or what you think about the faction leaders.
martin

Post by martin »

Thargon wrote:No royal fan waver for the queen human who sits in the tavern. would give print screen evidence but the forum won't let me upload.
Send to:
martin.polak@gmx.at
Estralis Seborian

What's the deal with Hassan? The cycletext was already fixed.
martin

Post by martin »

Estralis Seborian wrote:What's the deal with Hassan?
His hairstyle.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Freaking epic. Damn nice job staff.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Flux wrote:
themonk wrote:another question.

When the game sometimes relogs and sends you back in time about an hour everything is reset except the quests. Is this going to be a problem in completeing them?

For example I completed 2 quests in Runewick and got a couple of rewards but now its been reset back in time I haven't got the rewards and the NPCs just say stuff like "that's all I have thanks for the help" etc.

Im not fused about the rewards but the lighting candles quest in the crypt under Runewick was half finished and now all the candles have gone out but the game thinks ive lit two of them is this going to mess with the missions in illarion?
This has always been an issue with Illarion. If the server crashes, your character resets to last login. In 2005 it used to crash 4 or 5 times a day. The solution we used? Log out after every trade.

I still do it to this day. If I do a really important trade, I relog. You can do this if you get a really important quest.

In response to the "skilled fighter gets owned by unskilled fighter" query, the char in question had 4 str, and the one who was less skilled had 18 str. It seems pretty reasonable to me that the one with mage stats can never win a fight against a fighter build who is less skilled, but I may still make a small change once I've simulated stuff.
Hi Flux

Thanks for the advice ill do that in future.

All my questions so far have been answered perfectly but I am still abit worried about the quests being messed up due to crash relog and time travel as the NPC quest givers still remember giving you the mission even though the games been reset. Im trying to make sense in my questions but this is rather complicated.
Necral

Post by Necral »

Same thing happened to me. I'd also like to know if the server knows I have done the quest (affecting my rank in the town) and not just the npc stood outside the crypt.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Necral wrote:Same thing happened to me. I'd also like to know if the server knows I have done the quest (affecting my rank in the town) and not just the npc stood outside the crypt.
If the NPC says you have finished it, then you have and also your rank points are saved. Because both, quest and rankpoints, are saved using queststatus.
Necral

Post by Necral »

Jupiter wrote:
Necral wrote:Same thing happened to me. I'd also like to know if the server knows I have done the quest (affecting my rank in the town) and not just the npc stood outside the crypt.
If the NPC says you have finished it, then you have and also your rank points are saved. Because both, quest and rankpoints, are saved using queststatus.
Thanks for clearing that up Jupiter.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Have to correct myself: Currently they dont work at all. nakpoints are not saved at all. BUt that has nothing to do with the crashes but with something else, it seems.

Ediot: Lillian fixed it and vilarion put it onto the server. Everything fin now :)
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Hostly for warrior characters how nice is it not to have to use serinjahs all the time?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

There are a few bugs, actually less IMO then one would expect. On the whole however, the "New Illarion" for want of a better name because it now seems so much MORE then the previous is a wonderful success. Thumbs up to all that help and are still helping with scripting, trouble shooting, graphics, and developing programs for ease of use.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

While on the topic of combat, I have a quick question for Flux.

How can we determine general armor stiffness? Weight doesnt seem a good way since chainmail is actually heavy. Is the amount of materials needed to craft a good determinant?
Flux

Post by Flux »

Salathe wrote:While on the topic of combat, I have a quick question for Flux.

How can we determine general armor stiffness? Weight doesnt seem a good way since chainmail is actually heavy. Is the amount of materials needed to craft a good determinant?
Perhaps we could display that information in the client in word form?

Like:
Rigid, stiff, firm, loose, free.

Other than that, for now, I think the best way to know is just to fight in it and see.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

It's the little things that make it.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Flux wrote:
Salathe wrote:While on the topic of combat, I have a quick question for Flux.

Perhaps we could display that information in the client in word form?

Like:
Rigid, stiff, firm, loose, free.

Other than that, for now, I think the best way to know is just to fight in it and see.
That sounds like a great idea! It's irritating as a smith when people ask me for light or heavy armors and I have no clue. Testing out in game takes a lot of time and is very inaccurate because there are so many variables. There is the other armor you wear and your opponent. So if I wear no other armor I need an easy opponent, then there is the thought that im dodging alot solely because its an easy opponent... you get the idea... In the end... Some clear way to get a general idea of how stiff an armor is would be great, and this idea sounds like a good one. If this is used I'd say 4 adjectives at the least. Three would be too little and would probably fall into light (cloth) medium (leather) heavy (plate).
Flux

Post by Flux »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:Image

The best bit is that there's a shrine to him ingame at a place called Zot Mountain.
Zot

Post by Zot »

Flux wrote:
rakust dorenstkzul wrote:Image

The best bit is that there's a shrine to him ingame at a place called Zot Mountain.
It's called Mount Zotmore!
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Well i guess this is second impressions cant do alchemy , cant farm (ie get seeds back ) and now unless the lore of cooking be totaly new i cant cook,
A tough proposition for a master cook/alchemist/ farmer,just fighting aint what Ufedhin is about.

A very frustraiting time ,even the mantis bug thing is just not behaving.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Hi id just like to say what a bloody brilliant idea it is to put the name of the persons character on smithed armour that they made, for eg. Gurk's Breastplate has salathe's signature on it.

The simple ideas are always the best thanks to the one who thought of it.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

A few more random things:

-Typo in the news section on the homepage: "Player characters are shown red, NPCs are shown blue and monsters are shown red." <---- red is put twice, i think it was supposed to be "yellow" for players.

-New depots + 1000 stacks instead of 250 is awesome

-Suggestion, not sure if it's worth the effort though ... you could have a bigger resolution set to be the default (I think the default is 800x600 if you don't go into options) ... a lot of new people might not go into the options right away and might be put off by how some of the stuff is scrunched on screen at 800x600
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

After a few days of playing I'm starting to fall in love with the new Illa. The controls are still a bit awkward and slow to respond sometimes, but its getting better and better, especially thanks to our devs improving them and other stuff tirelessly every day.

The map is just awesome. I love how huge, dangerous and pretty it turned out to be. My first trip into the wilderness was the most exciting game experience in years. The two towns I have been to so far have their distinct theme and their layout is a million times better than old Troll's Bane.
Each of them lacking one static tool is sort of weird though. I think it might be even easier to encourage trade between towns by making only certain resources restricted to certain locations. That way a crafter can settle anywhere, but might have to import part of their materials, no matter which town they pick.

I can't comment on crafting, alchemy or skill gain yet, but the combat system seems to go in the right direction. There sure are still things that need balancing, but I hope with the addition of mages and priests it will become possible for a well rounded party to take on any monster.

I'm not sure I like the possibility to spawn some arse-kicking monster while gathering herbs in a generally safe place for example. Maybe something relatively easy to dispose of would suffice? I know there was a change to that feature very recently, but don't know any details.

One thing I'd definitely change is the NPC leaders sitting in accessible places. I'd like it better if you would only see them played by GMs and while inactive they could be in their private quarters, behind locked doors.

New items and the variety of monsters are awesome. I've seen lockpicks and trap kits in a merchant's stock and still barely believe it. Looking forward to try those soon.

I'm sure there is still tons of stuff I'm yet completely unaware of and its really exciting to explore this new Illa. The only thing I miss from the old client so far is the ability to name chars.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Third impressions :D
My grumbles asided this new Illarion is truly awesome.
I cannot grasp the shear amount of blood, sweat and tears the developers must have shed to create it,
you guy's are totaly amazing.

Hooked.