VBU Q&A Revisited

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Fianna Heneghan

Re: VBU Q&A Revisited

Post by Fianna Heneghan »

The buzz in chat has been that the VBU will not include a magic system. Truth?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I stand corrected.. see below.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The magic system will not be part of the initial release of the VBU. We lack developers to create a complex system like this for the VBU.
The old magic system, so the one currently active on the game server will be disabled, because it does not work correctly anymore due the changes in the server and the client. Furthermore it messes up the balancing.

A magic system will be created once there are some developers to create it. This will happen after the release of the VBU.

So in short: YES, no magic after the VBU.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

So let me get this straight, Mages will become ham fisted weaklings with no redeming features ,Alchemists or druid's will become absent minded fool's who have forgotten most of their lore and these characters will have to cope with the rise of the warriors to power? ooouch! :cry:

Well it will be challenging.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

A new druid/alchemy system will most probably released with the VBU or shortly after, depending on the involved developers.

And yes, current mages will have to wait for the new magic system. Please note what Nitram wrote: We simply lack the manpower to redo all aspects of the game at once and since the client won't feature a proper rune interface, magic was one of the first things we had to drop. In other words: Even if we'd had a new magic system, no one could use it because the client would not support it!
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Basically.. since mages are too weak to do anything and mage magic isn't ready yet... you might as well not even play a mage in the VBU or bother to, because a mage can really do NOTHING but magic.

I don't have a ready answer, but it would be nice if there was some small niche in the VBU a weak mage char can fill until/when mage magic is introduced because a LOT of these players are excellent roleplayers and would be missed.
Last edited by Kyre on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Bye bye to mage POs I guess.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Does this mean that Druidry is gone too?

Is the priest system functionally able to take over the roles of Mage and Druid, until those systems are redone?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Druidry is replaced by the alchemy system that covers the creation of potions.

And what priest system are you talking about?

And for the magic. In the end it came down to no magic or no VBU. You know the result of this decision. The last time this happened most of the mage players stuck around and simply focused on some roleplay until the magic system was there.

Nitram
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

I hope some kind of amazing re-discovery of magic quest will be thought up when it's time for the mages to 'restore their powers.' I'll admit, this whole thing horrified me at first, but now that I think about it, it could bring on some really cool RP. Imagine that... all the mages on the island mysteriously lose their magic as the world around them transforms... mana as they know it is no longer under their control, and they must unite and re-discover spells and ancient lore, learn to survive with their bodies and not just their minds. Of course, it would be nice for the pure mages to get a chance to re-assign their attributes to cope with such a change too. Maybe it’s the man-flu talking, but I’m kind of excited about it.
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

Maybe the mage characters can look to warrior characters for protection and help for a change.

Edit: As for the possible event of depot items NOT carrying over, people should really just chill. Why bother with herbs and other perishables? Just keep the most impressive/expensive/sentimentally valuable items (and money) and get the rest later. It's not like anyone hasn't done so after one of the times they've been a ghost.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

That is not really the issue about losing the runes. It is how it will affect the Rp, how they chara is played, and if the story around it the GMs come up with does not fit well, the characters might be destroyed RP wise.
Estralis Seborian

Again, this question was answered: No arcane magic after the VBU because of limited manpower. Keep in mind, though, that the VBU won't be the end of days and development won't stop with its release.

Please keep this thread clean and split general discussions from this topic.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Since their will not be a player mage system, I am wondering if the monsters we face will still have magic? Is magic ressitance, though already near useless, needed?
Estralis Seborian

Monsters might have basic magic, but do not expect anything new in this context. A simple fireball might be all that you have to face. This is one of the game aspects that were planned to be reworked with the VBU. As sad as it is, the developer in charge failed at this, left the team and now tries to fork an Illarion clone... So, no new monster special attacks with the VBU.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The question is: Who needs magic while we got spartans?
Anon of D'Athen

Post by Anon of D'Athen »

Nerds. ;)
Maeglin Telemmaite

Post by Maeglin Telemmaite »

*sniffles* but...but nitters...mes wants magics.... *puppy dog eyes* pweeze?
kitmubet

Post by kitmubet »

i havent read all these yet but curious at the depots and gems

does the gems that would be wipe the ones you mine and what you make with gem cutting and will affect raw gems or should i just break those?

for the depots are there any updates on how items in storage be migrated
nathi

Post by nathi »

Hej

ich habe mir die Q&A zum VBU angesehen und habe dazu noch eine Frage:
Es wird Änderungen an den Regionen/Provinzen sowie bei Privathäusern geben. Es war notwendig unseren „Mappern“ die benötigte Freiheit zu geben um die Karte dementsprechend zu verändern.
Sie haben viele neue Labyrinthe und Plätze geschaffen und wir warten darauf Euch dies Dinge zu präsentieren. Allen Brüchen wird ein Rollenspielhintergund gegeben. Jeder, die PO´s der Führer der verschiedenen Gebiete eingeschlossen werden eingeladen das VBU Team zu unterstützen und die Zukunft Illarions zu schreiben.
Wird es die bisherigen Siedlungen wie z.B. Greenbriar, Tol Vanima, Kumdah(Varshikar) oder Ordenssitze wie die Graue Zuflucht noch geben? Falls nein, so wäre das ja ein sehr tiefer Einschnitt in die Geschichte Gobaiths, alleine wenn ich an die Dokumentation denke. Oder ist es beabsichtigt das sich nach dieser "Apokalypse" alles neu regeln muss?

lg nathi
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

nathi wrote: Falls nein, so wäre das ja ein sehr tiefer Einschnitt in die Geschichte Gobaiths,
Oder es wird ein neues Kapitel mit neuer Überschrift geschrieben ;)
Estralis Seborian

kitmubet wrote:does the gems that would be wipe the ones you mine and what you make with gem cutting and will affect raw gems or should i just break those?

for the depots are there any updates on how items in storage be migrated
I don't get the questions, but on gems, current magical gems will lose its magic due to incompatibility of the new magical gem system with the old one (to be more precise: the data storage). This has nothing to do with "mudane" gems.

On the depots, as I wrote more than once, a separate announcement will come. This will also cover nathi's question beyond what was already answered.
kitmubet

Post by kitmubet »

ohh ok ill guess il have to wait a while longer
nathi

Post by nathi »

Djironnyma wrote:
nathi wrote: Falls nein, so wäre das ja ein sehr tiefer Einschnitt in die Geschichte Gobaiths,
Oder es wird ein neues Kapitel mit neuer Überschrift geschrieben ;)

also ein fetter Strich unter das Gewesene, und dann Fortsetzung des Neubeginn? Hätte auch was reizvolles :-)

(btw. wenn du "ihr" antwortest kannst du eventuell etwas beeinflussen, wenn nicht dann natürlich nicht ;-) )
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

Estralis Seborian wrote: ...On the depots, as I wrote more than once, a separate announcement will come. This will also cover nathi's question beyond what was already answered.
Mit wieviel Zeit zum Bereinigen der Depots können wir nach der Ankündigung rechnen?
How much time we will have after the anoucement to clean up the depots?
Estralis Seborian

One to two weeks.
Zot

Post by Zot »

Please read the latest news, a few questions will be answerd there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bitte lest die aktuellen Neuigkeiten, dort werden einige Fragen beantwortet.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Hab die INFO gelesen & trotzdem noch Fragen

1) die Abreise von Gobaith ist also von dieser Depotsammlung?
2) wann wird dieser "Ort" eingerichtet und wie komme ich dahin? (als Druide wollte ich eigentlich Kämpfe umgehen, da ich auch nicht sehr geübt im Kämpfen bin)
3) die maximal tragbare Last und die größe der Tasche begrenzen also mein "Reisegepäck" wenn ich das richtig verstehe, oder?
4) den Rest meines Besitzes muß ich dann wohl als VERLUST abschreiben :cry:
nathi

Post by nathi »

GolfLima wrote:Hab die INFO gelesen & trotzdem noch Fragen

4) den Rest meines Besitzes muß ich dann wohl als VERLUST abschreiben :cry:
Hej "Jerem"

sehe es einfach als Erleichterung ;-)

lg nathi
Zot

Post by Zot »

1) die Abreise von Gobaith ist also von dieser Depotsammlung?
Wahrscheinlich.
2) wann wird dieser "Ort" eingerichtet und wie komme ich dahin? (als Druide wollte ich eigentlich Kämpfe umgehen, da ich auch nicht sehr geübt im Kämpfen bin)
Dieser Ort soll nicht als Zuflucht dienen, da stehen nur Depots, nichts anderes. Zu kämpfen wird es nicht groß kommen denk ich.
3) die maximal tragbare Last und die größe der Tasche begrenzen also mein "Reisegepäck" wenn ich das richtig verstehe, oder?
Genau.
4) den Rest meines Besitzes muß ich dann wohl als VERLUST abschreiben
Ja.