Alleskönner/Allrounders

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Lennier

Alleskönner/Allrounders

Post by Lennier »

I am forced by a GM to open an OOC discussion about the topic I ready debate IG (Blame Zot :twisted: ).

I will try but from an other view: What do you do to make Illarion to a better place? Or: Do you think, that the kind of how do you play Illarion leads to that game becomes a better one?

Why this topic? I wait for the VBU as all of you do. As part of the Illarion Society I am in knowledge about lots of improvements the developers add currently. But I know, inspecial Illarion is no game that only consits of its technical power. That never will happen. The community, the player are the key to make Illarion special. After some time I left Illarion (Inspecial the whole last year. Reason was the difficult situation linked with my job) I returned two months ago. And I do not want wait for the VBU. I want play Illarion now with all possibilities it has now. I want back my old Grey Rose guild. I want back my idea of Illarion. The only ressouce I can use is me, as every other of you too. You self are a ressource, a tool to make Illarion like you want by your style of playing.

Now some questions are: What do we want? How we can affect this? Here we are, where I was before I wrote this in ingame view: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =4&t=36532

The idea behind this is following: What do we do to let space for other, to provocate interaction? Do we play for ourself or for other too? I decided for me, as I did in the past too, to make limitations, borders. My chars has not to do everything only because it seems to be necessary. My chars have ( i hope so) a limited profile, that says what they can offer and what they need regulary. I do not look at the profit of my char in his acting. I try to get regularly interaction. But interaction does not only mean to go on treasury hunt with other players. Regulary I try to declare small goals and events in my guild, which have to solved together (In hope that not only the same two take care for this everytime). It works, but not as good as I think it should be.

I do not like to interact with only the same chars every day. I do not like to trade goods in dimension of thousands of units, only because any single person can sell them cheap to me or can pay so much. And Ido not like to let my char cook his food, only because I can not find a cook and my char does not like to eat apples. I want low scale interaction everyday, low scale trading, low scale RP that touchs the crafting profession of my chars in their daily life. This is what Illarion makes alive for me. Not only to do a new expedition cross the Isle, though the preparing the equipment for such expedition. This is why I give orders to other instead to to do the job myself. I hope that the other players keep active by this.

Maybe I am wrong or missplaced by my own limited view. But what are your strategies to force interaction? Feel free to write your Ideas.

Summary: I do not want buy 6.000 apple boards by anyone who is lumberjack, carpenter, smith, warrior, mage and alchemist (and can do all other stuff too) only because he has so much in his depot. I want the interaction with lumberjacks to cut the wood together!
GolfLima

Re: Alleskönner/Allrounders

Post by GolfLima »

why is the trading board not used for such activities too?
warum wird das Handelsbrett nicht für solche Aktivitäten mit genutzt?

may be the trading board can be used for orders too, not only for selling things
vielleicht kann das Handelsbrett auch für Kaufanfragen genutzt werden, nicht nur zum Verkauf von Dingen
Athian

Post by Athian »

I've probed about the IG economy a bit here and there and found consistent issue that motivate a lot of the skill gaining trends with players. I've found three reasons that tend to stick out the most as to why you end up with so many 'jack of all trades" characters. Mainly these issues were caused by the silly assumption that player's could be forced into buying from one another by nerfing the bejesus out of NPC seller's.

1. Lack of items

Any time you want item X you must rely on another player and players unlike NPC's are not available at all times. Lets say i need 5 healing potions to do a dungeon but there's no one around to make them and no where to buy them. Now i'm unable to do this dungeon until someone comes along whenever and sells me the potions, meaning i can't enjoy the content I wanted when I wanted. for many players rather then having there enjoyment stifled by the lack of a certain profession craftsmen, its just easier to learn to make these items on your own so you have them when you want them.

2. Lack of quality

This ties in partly with number one. Even items that you can buy from an NPC usually are not worth it. Warriors and crafters and mage's all know that excellent>average. when most NPC's are going to sell between average-good quality and average-good durability it makes much more sense for player's to create there own gear as well. The gear they make will last longer and perform better then the overly expensive item they will from an NPC. These trash items tend to cost far to much for there quality as well, another measure that was meant to make players by from players but back fired.

3. lack of diversity

Ties in with number one as well. Of the goods sold by NPC's most of what people actually use are not sold anywhere. to add to that most the item player's actually want are not sold anywhere. What is sold tends to be only the boring items and those are only sold at a quality and durability that make them not worth purchasing, it becomes cheaper to simply make your own.

To reduce the amount of all rounders you need to increase the ability to obtain useful/popular items and make it less profitable to just make it yourself.

Things to stop doing:

Taking items off NPC's
Jacking NPC prices
Lowering NPC item quality

what is needed is to leave the player's the ability to still acquire most generic items through NPC's. You'll find that player's would still purchase items at higher costs when no one else is available to create them (sometimes even if they are) for convenience sake.

Allow craftsmen the ability to:

Under sell NPC's in price
Overstock NPC's in quantity
Produce rare and useful craftsmen only items.

With these steps you'll find in time that the all-around craftsmen numbers would decrease quite a bit.

/two cents
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I have a char that for RP purposes I don't want to do any crafting. It has taken forever to get items needed to train however, we are talking arrows, bows, stones, slings etc. Actual months of advertising more then once in the trade board etc. Giving up, my char has gone to the monsters for loot drops i.e. arrows. What will help this? In my opinion, my char can like a LOT of people told me to do 1. make their own arrows. 2. not train 3. loose all the coin buying very expensive arrows from an NPC (if they even sell them anymore) 4. hunt monsters for loot, if the loot wasn't there my char just wouldn't train i.e. wouldn't be played.

Answer: As the game is now, the only answer except for monster drops is for my char to start crafting arrows. :wink:
With the trade board set up as it is now, ads deleted after awhile and no one allowed to post but the original poster, it is also difficult for a crafter to let people know they make certain items. Actually I hear more on msn then I do the trade board. Perhaps open that up and leave posts for actual "shops" that players can look down on the board and say.. "I will PM this player and see if they are still doing carpentry"
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

Let's forget the technicalities, skillgain, availability of items by NPCs and all that for a second.

A quick search turned up that the very same complaint (jacks-of-all-trades everywhere!) was voiced over and over again over the years.

Long elaborate discussions about how to reglement skillgain, item accessibility and what not have been written, but I think the main point is missing.

Lennier hit that point and it can be summed up in brief: Players attitude and choices.

Illarion offers little to no technical limits as to what your character can do (besides having to choose between rune magic or druid magic).
If you get bored of your current role and skills you can always branch out and do something new.

The question however is this: Do I have to do everything the system allows me to do?

My opinion is that engine should faciliate and aid roleplay, not the other way around, technicalities dictating the roleplay.

Of course I can technically play a flame-casting sword wielding master blacksmith that picks herbs in his freetime and enjoys baking blueberry pie, the thing is how credible is that role in the bigger context of Illarion, if I openly roleplay as one.

And don't get me wrong, I don't want to tell anyone that they should stop honing the skills they want to pursue, I only ask to consider if they realy have to be openly rubbed into others noses at every chance you get.

Technically it's possible, in mere minutes, to whip up a full-scale armor or craft handle cotters and everything else to build that sword for the guy that just asked if he can buy a sword, yes. But is it credible from a roleplay perspective?

What I'm suggesting is self-restricting one's own RP (and only that) by not showing off all talents any chance you get.
You can gain all the skills you want but you don't have to brag about it.

If you want to play a crafter start acting like one. Fill up your stock with wares, people usualy buy, or at least pretend you do.
Suggest you have to shape up that (item saught after) while in fact you go to the tools to make it from scratch. Same effect technical wise but a lot more credible roleplay.

Smith up armors up to the point you only need to "adjust" them to the one buying (90% done item) and roleplay suiting him up instead of saying "one sec" and happily giving the impression you can smith armors by scratch in just some minutes. (Which you CAN technically, but is it credible roleplay?)

In short what I suggest is people tug their own nose when it comes to playing their roles. Yes, you can sell wood by the thousands, but you could also sell off the 2000 logs you got in your depot in smaller increments during your daily Rp as to suggest your character is at work daily and can only do as much in a given time-frame. Rp that you're contracted to finish 2000 logs in a sensible time-frame. While you could just slug them all over and be done with the trade, the second option involves a lot more Rp and helps you play a more credible character.

EDIT:

I know this is not adressing any of the technical problems, but think of it as a suggestion to improve the roleplay in the meantime, a compromise where jack-of-all-trades do exist but it's up to the players how they want that fact to affect roleplay and the overall game.
Zot

Post by Zot »

Zu allererst, danke an Lennier fürs öffnen dieses Topics.
Ich denke es ist wichtig dieses Thema auch OOC zu diskutieren, da es aus OOC Sicht viel mehr Gründe dafür gibt kein Alleskönner zu sein als aus der IG Perspektive.
Wenn man es aus der Sicht des Charakters (IG) betrachtet, macht es keinen Sinn nicht alles zu machen, weil die Engine im Spiel dir erlaubt alles zu machen was du willst. Diese Freiheit wollen wir für die Spieler nicht einschränken und das wird in Zukunft auch nicht geschehen.

Man sollte sich aber als Spieler des Charakters Gedanken darüber machen, warum man eben nicht alles selbst können/machen sollte.

Zu Anfang sollte man bedenken, dass die Entwickler, die die Systeme schreiben versuchen es so zu regulieren, dass ein System nicht unter einem anderen leidet. Das wird dadurch geregelt, dass manche Dinge innerhalb einer bestimmten Zeit abnutzen, oder das man gewisse Dinge nur alle paar Wochen lernen kann etc. Das ist aber nur bis zu einem gewissen Grad möglich, der Rest ist den Spielern überlassen wie sie das System kontrolieren/regulieren.

Was die Spieler zu den System zur Kontrolle/Regulierung beitragen können sind Dinge wie:

- Preislisten
- Embargos die verhindern, dass Handwerker einer Stadt unter anderen Handwerkern leiden
- das Alchemierezepte nicht ohne weiteres weitererzählt werden
- das nicht jede Woche wie es die Engine erlaubt Runen gelehrt werden
- das Items nicht verschenkt werden
- das manches 'geheimes' Wissen (e.g. Irundar) nicht sofort weitergegeben wird
- etc

Ich denke das sind alles Dinge, die das RP eines Charakters nicht all zu stark beeinflussen und leicht umgesetzt werden, wenn man sich denn darauf einigt.

Ein weiterer wichtiger Punkt ist die Kategorie des Spieles zu der Illarion zählt, es ist ein "Mehrspieler-Online-Rollenspiel". Die ganzen Systeme die wir haben, sei es das Wirtschaftsystem, das Kampfsystem, das Alchemiesystem und sogar das Magiesystem fördern die Interaktion zwischen den Charaktern. Haben wir aber nun ein Übermaß an Alleskönnern, verschwindet die Interaktion zwischen Charaktern immer mehr, weil man auf andere Personen nicht mehr angewiesen ist.
Dieses Verhalten mag wie weiter oben erwähnt für den Charakter ( IG )sehr sinnvoll sein, aber es schadet dem eigentlichen Sinn des Spiels, dass auf Interaktionen von verschiedenen Spielern ausgelegt ist als das eines einzelnen.
Durch dieses Fehlverhalten, bilden sich nach der Zeit kleine Grüppchen von Spielern die sobald sie alles können nicht mehr andere Leute wahrnehmen beziehungsweise ignorieren, was letzten endes die Zahl der Spieler die einloggen verringert.

Zusammengefasst lässt sich sagen, dass es durchaus einige Fehler in den Systemen gibt (bspw. dass manche Dinge nicht schnell genug abnutzen) die von den Entwicklern geändert werden müssen und dies wird hoffentlich auch alles mit dem VBU geschehen, aber bis dahin können die Spieler am jetztigen Stand des Spieles durch ihre eigenes Eingreifen etwas verändern.

P.S:
Versucht Items nicht zu verschenken, das schadet der Wirtschaft langfristig gesehen und vor allem neuen Spielern, weil sie ein Ziel warum sie das Spiel spielen verlieren. Lasst neuen Spielern die Möglichkeit Sachen zu verdienen, Orte selbst zu finden und ähnliches, dass ist für sie durchaus spannender als wenn sie von euch das alles an ihrem ersten Tag erfahren bzw. kriegen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all thanks to Lennier for opening this topic.
I think it's important to talk about this topic OOC, because there are more reasons OOC not to be an allrounder than IG reasons.

From the view of the character (IG) it's stupid not to do every craft, because the engine of the game allowes you to do every craft you want, you can become fighter, mage or even druid. We don't want to limit this freedom for the players and this won't happen in the future either.

When playing a character you as the player of this character have to consider why you shouldn't skill everything.

First and for most you have to keep in mind that the developers try to balance the systems they write so one system won't influence the other one too much.
This is controled by things like the wear of items during a certain time, or that you can learn things just once a week. However that's possible until we reach a state where the developers don't have much influence how the system developes. To control the remaining parts of the system which can't be influcenced by developers is the job of the players.

Here are some things what the players could do to control the sytems:

- pice lists for items
- embargos
- don't spread the informations about druid recipes so easily
- you don't have to teach others every single week a new rune
- don't give players items for free
- don't tell 'secret' things (e.g. Irundar) to others so easily
- etc

I think that are things which don't influence the RP of a character too much and it can change still a lot in the game.

Furthermore another important thing is the category of the game Illarion, it's a "Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game".
All the systems we have, the economy-system, the fightingsystem, the druidsystem and even the mage-system should enhance the interaction between characters.
If we have a excess of allrounders the interaction between characters slowly disappears, because they don't have to rely on other characters.
This attitude is like mentioned above for the character (IG) reasonable, but on the other hand it harms the game which needs players who interact with each other.
This misbehavior encourages players to make small groups who max their skills and stay away from other players and even ignore them, this behavior leads sooner or later that players don't log in so often anymore.

All in all, we are aware that there are still some bugs in the systems (e.g. that the wear of items doesn't lower so fast) which will be fixed with the VBU hopefully. However i think the players can still change a lot on the current systems to make the game a better place than it's currently.

P.S:
Don't give items to players for free, especially not new players this will harm the economy in the long term and make the new players lose on of their targets why they play the game ("I want armor X, because it look so cool and i'll do everything to get it."). It's much more exciting for new players to earn the things they need or to find dungeons on their own than from a other players who tells them everything during their first day.
Miriam

Post by Miriam »

Versucht Items nicht zu verschenken, das schadet der Wirtschaft langfristig gesehen und vor allem neuen Spielern, weil sie ein Ziel warum sie das Spiel spielen verlieren. Lasst neuen Spielern die Möglichkeit Sachen zu verdienen, Orte selbst zu finden und ähnliches, dass ist für sie durchaus spannender als wenn sie von euch das alles an ihrem ersten Tag erfahren bzw. kriegen.
Ziellos nach etwas herum zu suchen, ich finde das frustierend und kann mir gut vorstellen, dass es - vor allem wenn man gerade erst anfängt zu spielen - noch frustrierender ist, weil man das, was man mit seinem Handwerks-Char machen möchte -vermutlich handwerkern- nicht tun kann.
Andererseit spiele ich auch nicht mit dem Ziel: "Ich will Rüstug XYZ und Werkzeug Blabla" und logge nie wieder ein, sobald ich diese Rüstung dann hab. ;-)

Ein Vorschlag für weniger Allenkönner und mehr Rollenspiel:
Gibt es auf Illarion Gilden, also Gemeinschaften/Zusammenschlüße von Handwerkern?
z.B: Gilde für Bäcker, Gilde für Schmiede, Gilde für Färber, Gilde für Bergarbeiter ect.

Es sollte Vorteile bieten einer Gilde beizuteten:

-Vielleicht gibt es dort einen Lehrmeister?
-Geheimes Wissen? (obwohl ich soetwas nicht mag,... es würde eine Gilde attraktiv machen)
-Vielleicht hat eine Gilde politischen Einfluss?
-Einen tollen Ruf?
-Gute Kontakte zu Händlern? ect.
-Ein eigene Wertkstadt?
- Oder sie bietet Hilfe für Neulinge?
- Man gelangt dort billiger an Rohstoffe? Eine Gilde kann Rohstoffe also billiger einkaufen (vielleicht bei einer anderen Gilde?)
- Weitere Vorschläge?

Aber man sollte sich an die Regeln der Gilde halten, was für Allenkönner nachteilg sein sollte:

-Das Gildenangehörige nur einem Handwerk (dem der Gilde in der sie sind) nachgehen
-Ich weiß nicht, ob feste Preise sinnvoll sind
-Vielleicht zahlen Mitglieder eine Gilde weniger Steuern als "freie" Handwerker
-Gilden könnten große Mengen untereinander Handeln und dann auf "kleine" Handwerker verteilen (Das ganze muss dann vom Gildenvorstand gemanaged werden)
-Alle anderen Großbestellungen könnte man besteuen, oder ingame verbieten, irgendwie erschweren
- Weitere Vorschläge?

(Wie wäre es mit einer Gilde für Alleskönner? ;P )
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

When we first began playing, Evie and I were forced to become all-arounders because we were treated so poorly. We had no choice. We either made what we needed ourselves or we did without because we couldn't afford the prices of the NPCs and we refused to talk to the rude town folks let alone ask them for help. Literally, the players we ran into when we started made such a poor impression, it was a miracle we didn't quit.

We had no choice.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

* möglicherweise wäre es auch hilfreich für die einzelnen Gewerke in bestimmten Zeitabständen die Meister & "Gesellen" zu benennen.
:arrow: die Messen oder die Olympiade waren ja gute Ansätze Meister zu finden
( wo man bei welchem Handwerk die Grenze zieht müßte man auch noch überlegen )

* bei einigen Handwerken weis ich von Meistern, aber kaum von Gesellen (Schmieden, Schreinern, Kochen & Backen)

* bei anderen Gewerken ist mir kein Meister bekannt (Glasblasen, Schneiderei, Feinschmieden)
( -> also fängt ma an es selbst zu machen, da es meist schwer ist herauszufinden wer ein Meister in einem bestimmtem Bereich ist, oder wer wenigstens einen kennt und dann muß man ihn auch noch finden, wenn es denn überhaupt einen gibt)

:arrow: und eine unverbindliche Preisliste macht meiner Meinung nach einen Sinn
( ich habe oft auch kein Gefühl dafür in welchem Rahmen sich die Preise für verschiedene Dinge in Gobaith bewegen )

(( p.s. mein Char kann einige Dinge verweist aber immer wenn er kann an die Meister des Faches, wenn er sie denn namentlich kennt - somit schadet er sich eigentlich selbst und läßt sich manche Münze entgehen :wink: --> vielleicht ginge das für einfache Dinge auch an "Gesellen" zu verweisen, wenn man sie denn kennt ))
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about Illarion these days, I have however had multiple experiences with similar games both as a player, designer and GM over the years. So a lot of this post is more generalized and not aimed specifically at Illarion. It us unlikely though that this games operates all that differently from other online role playing games.

All games draw a lot of their strength from the community ooc networking, its good, its bad and its a fact. So where as encouraging players to teach things in moderation is admirable it ultimately will not work. The easiest way for me to learn all the runes is to befriend a mage who has them. No one role plays with a character they do not enjoy for hours on end, so the player doing the teaching is not doing anything wrong per-say, they are empowering a character they appreciate. This IG friendship will often become an ooc one and as a result they will endeavour to help their friend as much as possible. So they will teach this character as much as they know as quick as they can, same as warriors beat each other up until they cap each day. This happens here, it happens every where.

The problem is any game has many different players some play for deep role play, some play for socializing, some for power and some for just plain fun. As a result we are never going to reach a stage where only the best players in my/staff/your opinion have the best ruins as we all appreciate different things in the characters around us.

Players will learn all they can and learn something new as it offers something to do and new things to gather, make, experience and more ways to be involved. They will craft as much as they can for gold, convenience and again for something to do.

The only way to balance this at any level within a class less system is to ensure that mechanically not everyone can do everything. So once you learn a certain rune you cannot learn druid system past a point. Once you craft amazing armour you cannot cut a certain gem. Its tiresome and seems like punishing players but its the only way to ensure every player/skill has a role to play.
Another thing that helps is to create more places to waste gold, as the biggest killer to player trading and initiative is rich players. Why would I care to craft bows and sell them if I have 90k silvers already?

It takes time as ultimately each class should have a specialisation that makes it worth giving up other crafts, at this point all rounder characters really become that. Good at everything unable to excel at anything.
Increase mechanical learning time by saying if you learn a rune this week you cannot learn or memorise a druid recipe, I do not even know if it works that way but you get the idea.

I have not brought up the economy as I think Athian did a great job of suggestions there.

Limitations and oppurtunity need to be set by the mechanics, players will always push those to the limits. I do not believe asking will do much as in most games people are all too eager to help, share and give away what ever benefits they can for the reward of friendship, loyalty and in game fun.
Zot

Post by Zot »

Miriam wrote:Ziellos nach etwas herum zu suchen, ich finde das frustierend und kann mir gut vorstellen, dass es - vor allem wenn man gerade erst anfängt zu spielen - noch frustrierender ist, weil man das, was man mit seinem Handwerks-Char machen möchte -vermutlich handwerkern- nicht tun kann.
Andererseit spiele ich auch nicht mit dem Ziel: "Ich will Rüstug XYZ und Werkzeug Blabla" und logge nie wieder ein, sobald ich diese Rüstung dann hab
Das Startpaket dient ja dazu, dass der Charakter zu Anfang das machen kann was er will, wählt er Handwerker bekommt er auch das benötigte Werkzeug dafür, wählt er Kämpfer kriegt er eine Ausrüstung die für den Anfang reicht.

Wenn man die Sachen durch etwas verliert ist das ja kein großes Problem, man geht zu einem Charakter hin, fragt ihn ob er ihm neues Werkzeug/neue Waffen herstellen kann und das kann der andere Charakter vielleicht auch tun oder an einen Handwerker verweisen. Der Handwerker wiederum muss das gewünschte Werkzeug bzw. Waffe ja nicht verschenken, nur weil der Spieler neu ist. Er kann ihm den Auftrag geben ein paar Rohstoffe für ihn zu sammeln (Bergbau, Schweine töten, Äpfel sammeln etc.) und kriegt dann im Gegenzug das benötigte Werkzeug bzw. Waffe.

Es ist meines Erachtens nach motivierender sich selbst etwas zu erarbeiten, als dass man etwas geschenkt bekommt.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Honestly, I have said this before and will say it again as many times as it takes. Until this game gets some sort of automated selling system, such that individuals don't have to be physically present in order to sell their items, there will be no true player economy. At best we might encourage people to prefer to buy stuff from players, but we will never actually fulfill that goal of having people actually do it to the exclusion of NPCs until it is commonly possible to do so. Currently it is not commonly possible to find someone who can make the thing that you want and it is not commonly possible to find someone who wants to buy the thing that you can make.

But, of course, this is not something that can be changed right now, so we are forced to move on in our discussion.

I also have to agree with Athian, too much of what has been tried in the past has completely backfired into the current situation. It isn't fun to have to get skilled at needlework (or some other completely secondary skill) simply because I can't find someone who can make the item and the shopkeepers make me pay through the nose for the most mundane items. It isn't fun to have so many minor interactions between different crafts that you have to use 3 different sources and 4 different items for one basic product (if you think I am kidding than try to make a fishing rod sometime, it definitely is not worth the aggravation). The degradation of items that are repaired by a crafter is supposed to encourage business by forcing people to rebuy their items, but more often it encourages people to avoid using the services of a crafter completely by using scavenged armor and weapons for training.

And the end result is that the game is a lot less fun because of it. You spend hours leveling up a skill that you would rather avoid simply because you need to do it if you want the item. You have to diversify into 5 different skills just to have what you need if you want to become more proficient in a single crafting skill. You always feel less epic as you walk around in low quality armor with blunted weapons because you need to train and can't afford to replace the good stuff (at low to moderate levels of character development, it sometimes changes some for powerful characters).

Current things that can be done:
1. Give shopkeepers reasonable selling prices.
2. Make sure that ALL basic items are available from a shopkeeper
3. make sure that crafters can make a profit when training
4. Have shopkeepers buy low level scavenged items at better prices
5. Cut back on the job interaction so that characters are not forced to diversify
6. Create an automated selling system that charges a percentage increase in price for use

The reason why most of this is not true seems to be that people have more fun when they are interacting, therfore forcing people to interact seems like a good thing. But by trying to force people to interact by making it less fun to play alone, the game simply becomes less fun. This is especially true when playing with others isn't an option (such as when nobody else is around). Some work is being done to correct this after the VBU by the introduction of more quests, but modifying that will have to wait till after the VBU to be implemented. The first four proposals I have made can be done before the VBU and with very little programming other than adding in some items to the shops and modifying the copper/silver piece values. The last two are things that need to be changed but cannot be dealt with on a major scale until after the VBU. Still, because some minor scale things can be done, such as to reduce the diversity of materials that are needed for crafting and streamlining the "Trading" forum, I decided to still included them in a discussion about what can be done right now.

The reasons why the above mentioned proposals are important:
1: because if people can't get things at a reasonable price and the price from other crafters is inflated due to the shopkeeper's high prices, than people will feel as though they have no choice but to craft their own stuff. If things are sold at a reasonable price, though, people actually have the option of not being a jack-of-all trades. This is especially true for casual players who are not always on enough to get to know all the crafters who frequent bane.
2: This should go without saying, and is only a problem in specific circumstances, but still is very much worth saying. People are not always conveniently available to make what you need but it is very souring to a person's fun to have to stop and wait for someone else when you really just feel like going. So, if you want to have fun and you aren't patient enough to wait hours (or sometimes days or weeks depending on the item) to find someone who can make what you need, than your only two options are to be able to do the thing yourself or go do something else. The first option leads to allrounders, because today you need a potion and tomorrow you might need a fine smithing hammer. The second option leads to people finding some other game that is less of a pain to deal with. Neither is a good thing for this game.
3: Low level crafters/herbologists/farmers/etc need to be able to support themselves through the use of their one craft alone, or else they will be forced to diversify by the simple necessity of buying tools, bags, and food. Other players cannot be counted upon to always be there willing to buy a bag full of yellow-weeds or low quality items, therfore it must be taken care of through an in-game support; namely the NPC shopkeepers. This rewards people for focusing on one craft (rather than building a person who uses fighting to finance their crafting or another skill to supply their crafting) and so cuts back on the need for diversification. It also helps new players become crafters more easily, and basic crafters to become advanced crafters, allowing for more people to buy from. It does not make the skill easier to learn, but reduces the requirement of diversification in order to learn it.
4. As an example, a dagger sells for about 5 copper but buying one from a player (at a reasonable price) costs about 1 silver (shopkeepers sell it for well over 5 silver). So why would a fighter not decide to just skip the expense of buying a new dagger and just use up the crappy one for training? With selling prices for low level items being so bad, there really is no way for most players to buy items from PCs for regular use, they simply cannot afford it. High level characters are in a different situation (one that is for completely different reasons). All this does is to punish low level characters for wanting good stuff... or encourage them to make their own.
5: A set of handles for various tools is a fine interaction and an obvious component is not a problem. But when every single tool uses a different handle, for example, than that means keeping around 20 different handles in sufficient quantities for whatever job you may need to do. And then, when you add in other components, the list of needed things jumps up almost exponentially. No wonder so many people choose to diversify, you simply cannot expect to be prepared with this sort of circumstance. Crafting interaction is built in without the need for that run-around: every crafter needs tools, food, bags, and clothing regardless of what they make. So trying to force it only turns people away from it. Reducing the interactions would make it actually possible for a dedicated woodworker to make that fishing rod when another character asks for it, for instance, rather than needing so many cross skill interactions that dedication is impossible.
6. This may not be possible yet, but I will try to explain why it is important and what can be done in the mean time. It is important because, unlike in RL where one or two blacksmiths can supply most of a small town because they are always around, real people have real lives and so the number of blacksmiths that would be needed to personally supply everyone when they need the supplies IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE IN ANY GAME! I will repeat, that I have seen, no game ever has succeeded in having a true in-game player economy for normal items without the addition of some variant of this feature. Lets let this sink in for a minute before talking about what we would want (player interaction) and the protests that some will make over how automation seems to go against that. Other games get around the non-interaction by only allowing trades for money and charging a small fee for use of the services (usually around 10%, sometimes less, rarely much more as this results in "taxing to death" of the system therby invalidating it). This allows the game to have a stable economy but still rewards in-game interaction by allowing people to get better prices in person and by allowing them to barter with goods and services.

Currently this can be helped by opening up the Trading Board to replies (specifically for buying and selling, not for discussions). This will help people to get a better idea of who is interested in the goods advertised and what type of prices they deem reasonable. A price list would also be of great use, though this only helps people know what the values of things are and does not help them know who is willing to pay for those things. Regular craft fairs would also be a way to get the items to people, though we would probably need an English and a German variant due to the different schedules. Lots of people have ideas, the main point here is helping to get items from the "supply" to the "demand" with as little hassle as possible.
Lia

Post by Lia »

Zot wrote: Es ist meines Erachtens nach motivierender sich selbst etwas zu erarbeiten, als dass man etwas geschenkt bekommt.
Kann man gut mit dem Rl vergleichen. Was macht glücklicher, wenn man etwas geschenkt bekommt oder es sich selbst erarbeitet hat?

Es ist zudem schon fast auffällig das man alles hinterher geworfen bekommt.

Ein Spieler zB möchte gern einen Bettler spielen.
Und jener Bettler bittet jemand um einen Laib Brot.
Spieler B fällt auch auf das der Bettler auch total schlecht angezogen ist und umsorgt ihn gleich noch mit Kleidung und allem was das Herz begeehrt.
Somit verliert Spieler A die Lust, den welcher Bettler nimmt nicht gerne noch einen warmen Mantel für die kalten Nächte etc.

Ebenso wenn man als neuer Spieler wohin kommt und zugleich mit allem versorgt wird was man will, OHNE was dafür zu tun.
Schon oft erlebt.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

:arrow: ein weiteres Problem ist meiner Meinung nach, das fast alle Char. mit der bestmöglichen Ausrüstung "umherwandeln", weil sie einfach so billig ist, und man leicht (Drop oder eben wegen des geringen Preises)an solche Ausrüstung herankommt. Folglich muß ein Handwerker sehen, das er ein möglichst breites Angebot hat, damit er wenigstens ab und zu etwas verkaufen kann.
:arrow: sollte die bestmögliche Ausrüstung, die man erwerben kann nicht eher die AUSNAHME denn die Regel sein?
(dazu müßte sie aber eben dementsprechend teuer und wie gesagt nicht ganz so haltbar sein) -> dies hätte außerdem den Vorteil, das auch NICHT Meister Handwerker ab und zu etwas verkaufen könnten, da man sich halt die Ausrüstung zulegen würde, die man sich zu dem Zeitpunkt leisten kann.

(( falls das nicht hierher gehört bitte einfach löschen, danke ))
Lia

Post by Lia »

Finde ich nicht.

Erstmal gibt es kaum wirkliche Meister auf Gobiath was es schon schwierig macht Dinge in wirklich entsprechender Qualität zu bekommen, wofür man auch dann einen entsprechenden Preis hinlegt. Je nachdem wie ein Gegenüber das sieht.

Fakt ist das viele vieles lernen aber nichts perfeckt. Sich nicht auf eine Sache konzentrieren.
Zb gibt es viele Schmiede aber vieleicht 2 oder drei Meister (noch weniger wenn man nach der regelmäßigen Anwesenheit geht)
Ebenso Schneider Ein Dutzend können Schneidern aber Meister gibt höstens 1 - 2

So könnte ich jetzt fortfahren.

Wenn man sich nur auf ein handwerk konzentrieren würde und das auch wirklich ausübt, Hätte man ersten wirklich Meister und zweitens auch kein Dutzend Alleskönner mehr.

Wenn ich etwas brauche suche ich mir einen Handwerker der es mir anfertigen kann und versuche es nicht selbst herzustellen. (wenn ich den mal einen finde, einen Meister)
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

I've taken a huge break from illarion(life has gotten in the way of my gaming time) but when I played my main character was an all rounder. I started during a time when(I'm still not sure why) no npcs in trollsbane worked, they would talk but not buy or sell anything. also during that time there was some kind of war going on and there was hardly anyone around when I was online so anything I wanted I had to make myself. making things myself was a huge task also because I took the crafters package when I started and scissors a hammer and saw don't allow you to do much(thankfully that package is no longer there and the new packages are far better).

I think the main reason most players who are all rounders become all rounders is because its the only way they're going to advance any in this game. when you first start off in this game unless you're really lucky and meet someone nice, its either do it all yourself and hope you can get what you need or quit. if thats the way things are when you start a game why change later?

as Athian pointed out npcs are always around, other players aren't. if the npcs were actually of any use there would be far fewer all rounders!
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

:arrow: wenn in Illa nur noch Meister herumrennen ist das meines Erachtens auch nicht sinnvoll, sondern nimmt dem Spiel viel an Möglichkeiten.
:arrow: "Meister eines Faches" sollten so wie bestimmte Gegenstände eher eine Seltenheit sein (es ist zwar schön nach dem Besten für sich zu streben, bloß wenn man es so schnell und billig bekommt, wo bleibt dann der Anreiz?). und das man Meister eben ein wenig suchen muß ..... gut. Dafür gibt es ja auch das Handelsbrett, bzw. die Stadtbretter und "Postboten" (in welcher Gestalt auch immer)
:arrow: ist es nicht eher so, das die "Preise", die ein Leben als Handwerker sichern würden von Keinem gezahlt werden wollen, da mam sich die DInge dann eben leichter als Drop irgendwoher besorgt,
:arrow: außerdem dauert es "eine kleine Weile" bis man Meister ist, abgesehen von der Materialbeschaffung, die noch einmal einen Großteil der Zeit ( & der Lernfähigkeit ) verschlingt (Magier und Kämpfer haben in dem Bereich einen deutlichen Vorteil gegenüber Handwerkern)
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

ThisGuy wrote:...I think the main reason most players who are all rounders become all rounders is because its the only way they're going to advance any in this game...
Since when does how many items and coins you have, and how much skill you have, measure your advancement in this game? It's a game focusing on roleplay, you can be a beggar and still be much more advanced than a master smith, if your RP is more advanced... My point is many of the arguments in this topic and several other topics on this forum seem pointless, as this game is based on roleplay and isn't just your every day ORPG that focuses on engine-skill and items.
Robert_Thwaite

Post by Robert_Thwaite »

I have to say, i agree with Qeewee.

The reason i love this game is that you don't have to be rich and powerful to be a success, I have been told by a couple of players that they love my RP scenarios and that is more rewarding to me than being listed in Illarions top 100 richest players
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

Qeewee wrote:
ThisGuy wrote:...I think the main reason most players who are all rounders become all rounders is because its the only way they're going to advance any in this game...
Since when does how many items and coins you have, and how much skill you have, measure your advancement in this game? It's a game focusing on roleplay...
but all the RP you do in game means squat when you RP as a great warrior, but your armor is about to rust off of you and you get killed by bugs...

RP has its place in the game, but its not all there is to the game. yes the game focuses on RP but its still a game. there are games out there where there is just RP(text based stuff) and there are tons of games out there where there is just gaming and no RP. Illarion is a combination of the 2, game and RP. You can advance your RP as far as you want and never do anything, but to advance in the game(yes game not in RP, as I said and you even quoted) you have to do a bit of everything when you first start out.
Robert_Thwaite wrote:The reason i love this game is that you don't have to be rich and powerful to be a success, I have been told by a couple of players that they love my RP scenarios and that is more rewarding to me than being listed in Illarions top 100 richest players
true you don't have to be anything to be a success, you're a success when you do what you want...and for most players that isn't standing around weak and penniless. this game offers you almost no limits, but to play the actual game(not just stand around starving while RPing) you have to do something.
Tialdin

Post by Tialdin »

Mal aus meiner Erfahrung berichtet, warum ich einen Multiskillcharakter/Vielkönner spiele.
1. Mir ist es zu langweilig ständig nur einer Tätigkeit nachzugehen.
Also gehe ich unterschiedlichsten Tätigkeiten nach und das möglichst abwechslungsreich.
(andere Spieler gleichen dass dadurch aus, dass sie mehrere Charaktere spielen, davon halte ich nichts. Denn das führt dazu, dass man sich mehrere „soziale Netzwerke“ in Illarion schaffen muss. Das gibt die Spielerzahl aber nicht her. Ausserdem entstehen durch viele Chars auf einem Account andere Probleme. Aber das ist eine andere Diskussion.)
2. Um meinem Haupthandwerk nachgehen zu können, benötige ich Rohstoffe und
Vorprodukte aus anderen Handwerken und das in Erheblichen Mengen.
Zum schmieden einer „perfekten“ Rüstung sind unter anderem 400 Eisenbarren nötig.
(Dabei entstehen dann auch noch Rüstungen, minderer Qualität, die man nur selten verkaufen kann nicht mal an NPCs.)
Diese Mengen an Rohstoffen verkauft kaum einer. Sie beim NPC oder anderen Spielern zu kaufen verringert den Gewinn erheblich. Folge ist, ich mache es selbst. Zumal die meisten Spieler verständlicherweise ebenfalls nicht damit zufrieden sind als reine Rohstofflieferanten aufzutreten. Denn es ist schlichtweg Langweilig immer nur alleine in einer Mine zu stehen und auf Steine zu schlagen. Leider geben es die Minen bei den derzeitigen Spieleinstellungen nicht her, zu mehreren zu arbeiten. Minen sind mit einem anwesenden Charakter „ausgelastet“. Da die Erzsteine zu schnell zerbrechen und zu lange brauchen um zu respawnen. Damit ist die Rohstoffbeschaffung eine extrem einsame Angelegenheit ohne Rollenspielanteil. Dies gilt für so ziemlich alle Rohstoffe. (Als Erzsteine noch unzerbrechlich waren, standen wir in Gruppen darum herum und haben uns bei der Arbeit unterhalten. Das geht nicht mehr.)
3. Griffe einzukaufen macht gar keinen Sinn, denn ich weiß nicht, wann mal ein Kunde
kommt und was der dann haben will, dementsprechend lege ich auch keine Vorräte an Griffen an. Alle Griffsorten einzulagern geht schlicht und
ergreifend nicht.
4. Ich habe auch keine Werkzeuge und Waffen auf Lager, sondern produziere auf Bestellung,
diese Bestellungen muss man entweder sofort abarbeiten, oder aber innerhalb von
48 Stunden. Da sonst der Kunde weg ist.
5. Wenn ich selbst Rohstoffe produziere, um sie zu verkaufen werde ich diese aus den
gleichen Gründen nicht los. Die Handwerker teilen mir mit, dass sie bessere Gewinne machen, wenn sie ihre Rohstoffe selber produzieren. Die einzigen Rohstoffe, die ich verkaufen könnte, sind jene die ich für mein eigenes Handwerk benötige. Denn Schmieden ist das zentrale Handwerk, weil jeder Werkzeuge, Waffen und Rüstungen benötigt.
5. Hinzu kommt, dass jeder der mit Eisenbarren handelt, alleine durchs einschmelzen der
Barren zu einem recht guten Grundstand an Schmiedeskill kommt, damit wird jeder Minenarbeiter zum Schmiedelehrling. Meist werden fertige Barren gehandelt, weil diese deutlich leichter sind als Erz und Kohle. Gleiches gilt fürs Bretter sägen. Alleine das sägen hat bei mir eine Skillhöhe ausgelöst, die dazu geführt hat, dass ich für meine Griffe keinen Schreiner mehr brauchte. Damit ist jeder Schmied auch sehr schnell Schreiner.
6. Köche und Essen, kochen und Kuchen backen dauert zu lange in Relation zum Bedarf.
Hochwertiges Essen benötigen nur Krieger. Diese leben von der gemachten Beute.
Das führt zu relativ niedrigen Preisen für Essen (und dazu, dass Köche ihre
Landwirtschaft selber betreiben), mit anderen Tätigkeiten kann man in
der gleichen Zeit deutlich mehr verdienen.
Außerdem ist es als Tätigkeit extrem Langweilig. Wer mal 20 Kuchen selbst gemacht
hat weiß wovon ich rede. Preis, Zeitaufwand und Langeweile führen also dazu, dass Essen nicht in ausreichender Menge von Spielern verkauft wird. Also fangen die Leute die es ständig brauchen an es selbst zu machen, oder beschränken sich auf Räucherfisch. Hinzu kommt, dass man für hochwertiges Essen einen brutal hohen Skill braucht. Tellergerichte sind wegen der nicht stapelbaren Teller sehr unbeliebt. Also wird auf Kuchen ausgewichen. Köche die Tellergerichte machen, machen auch ihre Teller selber, weil kein Schreiner gerne Teller schreinert. Die Tätigkeit ist langweilig und mit zu hohem Klickaufwand verbunden. Teller nehmen zu viel Platz weg und Teller bringen keinen Skillanstieg geschweige denn auch nur annähernd genug Geld. Gleiches gilt für die Massenfertigung von Griffen.

Folge ist also: Rohstoffbeschaffung als eigenständige Berufe existieren nicht.
(Viel zu langweilig und der Skill Cap reduziert die Fördermengen.)
Der Beruf Schreiner existiert nicht als eigenständiger Beruf.
(Die Herstellung von Vorprodukten für andere Handwerke läuft ins leere.)
Waren geringerer Qualität sind nahezu unverkäuflich. Also verdienen nur Meister gutes Geld.
(Tausende unnützer Gegenstände werden produziert und zu Minimalstpreisen an NPCs verkauft. Bis der Skill hoch genug ist um eine ordentliche Qualität herstellen zu können.)

Das ist jetzt nun einmal Stand der Dinge, ich sehe kaum Gegensteuerungsmöglichkeiten.
Um allerdings den Spielspaß zu erhöhen würde ich einige Details gerne geändert sehen:
Zeitaufwand beim Kochen senken, Minen Gruppentauglich machen, Preise bei NPCs so gestalten, dass auch Lehrlinge Geld verdienen können, selbst dann wenn sie Rohstoffe kaufen statt sie selber zu produzieren. (Beispiel: ein Eisenbarren kostet beim NPC 10 Kupfermünzen, einen Hammer kann man für 5 Kupfermünzen verkaufen. ….. Diese Rechnung geht nicht auf. Noch schlimmer bei Goldschmieden, Ein Goldbarren kostet beim NPC 2 Silberstücke, kein NPC kauft Schmuck.)

Die Einträge am Handelsboard werden zu schnell automatisch wieder gelöscht, hier wäre es sinnvoller, wenn die Spieler ihre Einträge selber löschen könnten, wenn die Waren verkauft sind. (Ich habe seit Jahren einen Eintrag am Silberbrand Gildenbrett, welche Rohstoffe Silberbrand ständig kauft, es war noch nie jemand da um etwas aus dieser Liste zu verkaufen.)

Mir ist bekannt, dass es eigentlich gewünscht ist den NPC Handel klein zu halten um mehr Spielerhandel zu generieren. Dieser Ansatz ist nach meiner Auffassung als gescheitert zu betrachten.

Die Bildung von Handwerksgilden, wird nicht helfen, solange jeder frei Skillen kann ohne von einem Lehrmeister abhängig zu sein um bessere Gegenstände herstellen zu können, hier allerdings Restriktionen wie bei Magiern mit den Runen einzubauen, macht auch keinen Sinn.

Preislisten werden ebenfalls nicht helfen, da die vorhandene Gildenbildung und entstandene Freundschaften, sowie Rassenzugehörigkeiten diese aushebeln. Als ungefähre Orientierung könnten sie allerdings hilfreich sein.

Viel wesentlicher finde ich das von den NPC Händlern vorgegebene Preissystem. Hier werden Mindestpreise und Höchstpreise für Waren festgelegt mit allen Betriebswirtschaftlichen Konsequenzen für den Markt. Auch das einige NPC s nur begrenzt viel Geld zur Verfügung haben ist eher spielstörend, bei den Mengen, die zu einem nennenswerten Skillanstieg produziert werden müssen.

BITTE BESEITIGT DIE EINSAMKEIT DER ROHSTOFFBESCHAFFER
Tialdin

Post by Tialdin »

Viel wichtiger als eine die Diskussion über das Handwerk finde ich eine Diskussion über den Spielsinn oder Spielerfolg in Illarion.

Hier mal eine Auflistung der derzeit vorhandenen Spielziele
Rollenspiel
Sozialen Status erlangen
Skillen (Beruf erlernen, Krieger werden, Magier werden)
Bauen
Geld horten
magische Gegenstände sammeln
magische Edelsteine kriegen

Das Rollenspiel wird leider durch einige Restriktionen der Engine eingeschränkt. Siehe einsame Rostoffbeschaffung aber auch Monsterjagden. Es ist totaler Unsinn zu Glauben, dass Rollenspiel vom Arbeiten getrennt werden muss, wie es durch den Scill Cap geschieht, oder durch die derzeitigen Restriktionen zur Rohstoffknappheit . Im realen Leben verbringen die Menschen ja auch ein drittel ihres Tages auf der Arbeit und haben dort soziale Kontakte.

Sozialen Status erlangen ist ein Element des Rollenspiels. Eine verkörperte Figur bekommt damit mehr Hintergrund und Leben. Der Status hängt allerdings zu einem Teil von Skills ab.
Krieger, Magier, Meisterhandwerker.

Skillen ist ein Selbstzweck in Illarion geworden. Dabei geht es um die Möglichkeit bestimmte Gegenstände überhaupt selbst herstellen zu können und einen Beruf ausüben zu können. Es ist ein klares Spielziel einen hohen Skill zu erlangen. Dies wird durch den Scill Cap (der ja zum Glück mit dem VBU überarbeitet wird) gedrosselt. Gerade bei niedriger Skillhöhe kommt der Cap viel zu früh, alleine um Sibanac als Rohstoff für die Garnherstellung beschaffen zu können, braucht man mehrere Tage, bis der Skill hoch genug ist. Auch bei anderen Rohstoffbeschaffungen kommt er zu früh.

Bauen ist ein klares Spielziel. Damit kann man sich selbst ein Denkmal setzen, außerdem finde ich es sehr gut, dass die Spieler selbst Einfluss nehmen können auf die Gestaltung der Karte und deren Verschönerung. Das zusammensammeln der erforderlichen Rohstoffe belebt das Spiel erheblich. Der Jahrelange Baustop war dabei ein starkes Hemmnis, das zum Glück nun vorbei ist.

Geld horten, es ist ein gutes Gefühl Geld zu haben. Reichtum ist was schönes. Brauchen tut man Geld in Illarion allerdings nicht, da keine Grundkosten für die Lebenserhaltung anfallen.
Hunger kommt nur beim arbeiten und kämpfen, wer das nicht tut braucht also auch kein Essen. Miete zahlen ist auch nicht nötig. Geld in größeren Mengen wird nur benötigt um zu Bauen, oder um sich hochwertigere Gegenstände anzuschaffen. Was dann allerdings dazu führt, dass das Geld sich bei den Handwerksmeistern sammelt. Wer nicht arbeitet oder kämpft braucht also gar kein Geld. Damit begrenzt sich der Nutzen von Geld ziemlich.

magische Gegenstände sammeln, magische Edelsteine kriegen
Die Jagd nach besonderen Gegenständen zum ANGEBEN und um sich Vorteile zu verschaffen um besser zu sein als andere, ist ein klares Spielziel. Dabei geht es darum etwas besonderes, etwas seltenes zu haben, was nicht einfach herstellbar ist.
Leider kann man diese Gegenstände ausschließlich durch Kampf erlangen.
Der Trend zu immer stärkeren Kriegern und Magiern wird dadurch wohl mit beeinflusst. Ein reiner Handwerker bekommt magische Steine niemals zu sehen. (Einige Krieger und Magier sieht man auch nie, weil diese in den Höhlen hocken und Wochenlang auf ein und dasselbe Monster einprügeln. )

Dabei ist es durch die Engine durchaus vorgesehen magische Steine auch in Werkzeuge einzusetzen. Was aber seltenst passiert. Da diese Werkzeuge dann zu schnell verschleißen würden, womit dann auch die Steine weg wären.

Diese besonderen Gegenstände auch Handwerkern zugänglich zu machen halte ich für sinnvoll.

Dazu mal Vorschläge:
1. Magische Steine auch ausserhalb vom Kampf zugänglich zu machen, beispielsweise bei der Rohstoffbeschaffung. (Gerüchten zufolge ist das mit dem VBU angeplant.)
2. Einen NPC auf die Karte zu stellen der magische Steine teuer verkauft. Damit wäre Geld mal wieder nen bischen interessanter und es wäre möglich sich besondere Gegenstände zu erarbeiten. Unabhängig vom Monsterdropp. Bis zum VBU wohl nicht möglich, allerdings könnten diese Aufgabe erstmal GMs übernehmen. Vielleicht sogar so, da es ja Punkt zwei noch nicht gibt. Dass direkt Werkzeuge mit magischen Steinen bei GMs bestellt werden könnten. Es gab mal einen Gnom, der einmal aufgetaucht ist und einige Werkzeuge mit Steinen versteigert hat. Dabei kamen sehr stolze Beträge zusammen. (Geldabfluss aus dem Spiel ist ja auch ein immer wieder diskutiertes Problem)
3. Rare Items, wie Feuerschwerter etc. könnten prima als Questbelohnungen Verwendung finden. Dies geschieht schon, aber sehr ungezielt. (Dabei wären auch Questen Wünschenswert, die ohne Kampf auskommen. Beispielsweise ein GM Char, der sich mit irgendwas versorgen lässt und als Bezahlung einen Gegenstand herausgibt. Bisher habe ich noch nicht gesehen, dass Quest NPCs einfach mal als Käufer auftreten. Das hab mich beispielsweise am Quest mit Mandrel gestört, dieser hat sich einen Turm gebaut aber ohne vorher Rohstoffe zu beschaffen. Dabei hätte das mal den Rohstoffhandel stark belebt. Alleine was da an Dekorationsgegenständen verwendet wurde, hätte Spieler Wochenlang beschäftigen können.)
4. Vielleicht könnte man auch eine Funktion zu schaffen Magische Steine von Gegenständen wieder entfernen zu können. Damit könnte man sie auf neue Werkzeuge übertragen oder zur Aufwertung mit weiteren Steinen nutzen. (Durchaus Diskussionswürdig, gebe ich zu, vielleicht auch mit einer Begrenzung auf Werkzeuge, so dass es bei Waffen und Rüstungen bleibt wie gehabt.)

Abschließend möchte ich Vorschlagen, dass mal geschaut wird, was für weitere Spielziele in Illarion eingeführt werden könnten.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I'd like to give some first comments on the concrete proposals. I have one remark: Please do not think too much about spoiling the fun of alleskönners. Because spoiling anyone's fun who plays this game must not be a goal for the development. Instead, think about methods to encourage desired gameplay; keeping in mind that Illarion is a "free" game where you can do whatever you want.
David Turner wrote:1. Give shopkeepers reasonable selling prices.
2. Make sure that ALL basic items are available from a shopkeeper
3. make sure that crafters can make a profit when training
4. Have shopkeepers buy low level scavenged items at better prices
5. Cut back on the job interaction so that characters are not forced to diversify
6. Create an automated selling system that charges a percentage increase in price for us
1. Will be realised with the VBU
2. Same as above. Actually, you'll be able to buy almost all items from NPC, except some rare ones
3. Should be realised as well because NPCs will buy all kinds of items
4. Prices will be reasonable and NPCs will buy your junk
5. The resources for crafting items were redone for the VBU; the interaction will still be there but on a reasonable level
6. Nothing like a selling bot is planned
Tialdin, gekürzt wrote:1. Magische Steine auch ausserhalb vom Kampf zugänglich zu machen, beispielsweise bei der Rohstoffbeschaffung.
2. Einen NPC auf die Karte zu stellen der magische Steine teuer verkauft.
3. Rare Items, wie Feuerschwerter etc. könnten prima als Questbelohnungen Verwendung finden.
4. Vielleicht könnte man auch eine Funktion zu schaffen Magische Steine von Gegenständen wieder entfernen zu können.
1. Exactly this is planned for the VBU
2. This is not planned. But. A much, much more sophisticated solution is planned, stay tuned!
3. Static quests will also provide "rare" items. Many will be non violent
4. This is not planned
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Thought of something:

One of the reasons we have allrounders is the time zones, crafters not being around all the time and such.
Maybe it would be possible to implement npc merchants for hire like one may see in so many mmorpgs, where a crafter just sets the price of an item, gives the merchant the item, and talks to the merchant later to see if the item has been sold to get the coins with an added fee taken from it for pay for the merchant, and the buyer talks to the merchant to buy the items the merchant has?
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Schmiede- Char. werden automatisch zu Alleskönnern, wenn man sich einmal die Rohstoffpreise ansieht.
Ein Eisenbarren kostet 15 Kupfer, und da man um ein ordentliches Level im Schmieden zu erreichen sind sicher mehrere tausend Eisenbarren nötig.
Also heißt es ab in die Minen und Bergmann werden, ein neuer Char. kann sich die Eisenbarren einfach nicht leisten.
Außerdem benötigt man noch Gold- & Kupferbarren, Leder und diverse Edelsteine, sowie verschiedene Griffe. Da die Qualität der Griffe auch einen EInfluß auf die Qualität der hergestelleten Dinge hat wird man so auch zum Holzfäller & Schreiner, da man die Griffe entweder in entsprechender Qualität nicht bekommt, bzw man sie sich nicht leisten kann. Essen muß man schließlich auch als Handwerker (als Bergmann sogar ausgesprochen viel) also wird man schnell noch Fischer. Da man als Schmied meist geschliffene Edelsteine braucht macht man das mal so nebenbei mit und ist schhwups Edelsteinschleifer (wenn auch kein guter, das dauert einfach irre lange). Ach ja, das Leder fehlt ja noch ..... ein wenig "Kampf" an den armen Schweinen geübt (ich will den Char. damit noch nicht unbedingt Kämpfer nennen)...und man hat das Leder ... und ein wenig Fleisch. also wird man schnell ´mal nebenbei zum Koch, da man das Fleisch erst einmal räuchert, später werden vielleicht sogar Steaks daraus.
Jetzt ist der Char. also schon:
1) Schmied
2) Bergmann
3) Holzfäller
4) Schreiner
5) Fischer
6) Edelsteinschleifer
7) Kämpfer
8] Koch
:arrow: die Geschichte ließe sich wohl ewig fortsetzen .... es passiert einfach das man immer Neues lernen muß.
Estralis Seborian

This is all interesting, a fruitful thread!

The description of the situation "as it is" fits and I think there is a consensus that the current situation is not favourable. Many changes will come with the VBU, some that cover already proposed things. While reading this thread, I got a deja vu feeling various times; stuff that is discussed here was discussed in the team around three and a half years ago... So, do not worry, the team is aware of many things and had some more time to think about them ;-).

However, the team is not all-knowing. One issue needs special attention: While the "general" aspects like traders, prices, skillgain etc. were taken care of, methods to encourage specialisation are somewhat missing. Methods to encourage specialisation - focussing on one skill or action, e.g. blacksmithing, are NOT methods that discourage diversification and vice versa. This is a destructive approach that does no good. In an ideal game, the "blacksmith" of a guild would get his iron from the "miner" of the guild; what spoils this type of interaction and what can be done to promote it?

Obvious methods like "skillcap", "item sell bots" or "guild depots", well, you can be sure the team already considered those. Such things, albeit known from other games, aren't that easy to implement and, that is also quite important, aren't unique. Every game has them, fine, we could do the same, but don't you all think Illarion can go one step beyond? A small game like Illarion can be innovative! We can go new ways! Especially when we have to deal with things that are special about Illarion; Illarion is a class free game, that isn't that common. We have certain boundary conditions that demand for thinking in other ways sometimes.

So, what the team could really use are innovative approaches, new thoughts that the team members cannot do themselves. As an inspiration: Something really unique could be a system where a town gets imports from abroad by ship, depending on the number of characters that have a blacksmithing level of 90 but a mining level of less than 20. These imports come once a day, so you better log in daily (:-)) and the imports are distributed depending on... the number of smithed items by character during the last day? Or whatever - this is just a gedankenexperiment, not a concrete proposal. I just want to show you that you don't have to change the fundamentals of Illarion and copy some stuff from game XYZ but can think about something... new!
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

I'm glad to hear that so many of these things have already been dealt with, Estralis. That gives me some confidence in the direction that the VBU is taking (even if I do question if it will ever be finished (I hope you don't mind me being honest about both the good and the bad)).

Though, as for #3 (making sure that crafters make a profit when training) this requires that the created items sell for more than their component parts, and enough more so that materials lost due to failure is taken into account. Just buying lots of stuff doesn't fix the problem, in fact they can buy very few items so long as the things they buy are across a range of skill levels and are bought for a high enough amount. Historically people commonly had a lot of skills because it was more practical to do it themselves than find and pay someone else to do it, such as needlework and cooking for an example; I barely know how to thread a needle and macaroni-and-cheese can be a problem for me, for example. In modern times, especially since the invention of the assembly line method of production, there is less need to do everything because you can survive by specalizing (such as how I buy microwavable food). So if people are forced to be all-rounders in order to afford to train even one skill, than you can't blame people for being all-rounders in that circumstance. It sounds like this is already planned, but to put my own mind at ease I still wanted to check to make sure.

As for the problem of getting the stuff to the people, I can understand some of the reasons that you mentioned about how complicated it can be. The problem still comes down to the fact that we all (the POs) have real lives and so we can't be expected to be online enough and at the right times to trade goods and money. What a good solution would be, that I don't know. I could give ideas (such as using the forums for making sales and simply creating a method of delivery in-game) but I really don't know enough about programming restrictions and what counts as being "unique" in order to say anything for certain. But whatever the solution, this is something that will need the support of the game engine due to the simple fact that people will always be people and will always have real life commitments (assuming they are well adjusted), and this will get in the way of being able to sit around and sell stuff constantly the way carpenters and others in RL once did.

For the most part I personally don't think much of anything needs to be done to encourage people to focus and specialize, besides removing the barriers. The slow skill gain and such things makes it a pain to mutiskill, and anyways most people start out with a concept of a character who is a master of some single skill that they the player like. If you want to cause more differentiation than perhaps try doing it along the same paths that happen in real life. People become menial workers because they want to make money without having to put a lot of skill into it; so make sure that the labor jobs are quick and easy to learn and make a good monetary return even though they top out much lower. People take up medium level crafting (or most any technical skill) because they want to make more money and they are willing to do the extra work to make a high quality product; so make sure that people who put the time and effort into a regular skill are rewarded for it in a manner fitting with the effort needed to reach that skill. People take up extremely high level skill because they want fame and recognition even though the output quality may be similar to the second group but the "style" and "artistic nature" of the thing makes it a status object; so make sure that there are some high-end (skill-wise) objects that are similar in power to the lower level items (so as to not create power creep) but are still highly valuable for vanity purposes. For the most part most of this stuff is already mostly in place, as far as I have seen. The result in real life is that people have a varied set of skills (most plumbers know at least a little about woodworking, for instance) but people specialize because they know that specializing helps them hit that higher level of capability faster and because they find that they "like" one skill more than others... which ironically comes full circle back to what I said in the second sentence of this paragraph. First remove the barriers, then lets see if any more encouragement needs to be added.
Respen

Post by Respen »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Obvious methods like "skillcap", "item sell bots" or "guild depots", well, you can be sure the team already considered those. Such things, albeit known from other games, aren't that easy to implement and, that is also quite important, aren't unique. Every game has them, fine, we could do the same, but don't you all think Illarion can go one step beyond? A small game like Illarion can be innovative! We can go new ways! Especially when we have to deal with things that are special about Illarion; Illarion is a class free game, that isn't that common. We have certain boundary conditions that demand for thinking in other ways sometimes.

So, what the team could really use are innovative approaches, new thoughts that the team members cannot do themselves. As an inspiration: Something really unique could be a system where a town gets imports from abroad by ship, depending on the number of characters that have a blacksmithing level of 90 but a mining level of less than 20. These imports come once a day, so you better log in daily (:-)) and the imports are distributed depending on... the number of smithed items by character during the last day? Or whatever - this is just a gedankenexperiment, not a concrete proposal. I just want to show you that you don't have to change the fundamentals of Illarion and copy some stuff from game XYZ but can think about something... new!
Just because an idea (such as "item sell bots") is not unique does not mean it can not be used. Innovative, new ways of doing things may be desirable, but sometimes established methods are more efficient than just about any other possible solution. There are reasons why certain methods of doing things have remained largely unchanged for a long time. I can understand not doing something because it is not easy to implement, but not because the idea is commonly used. This is especially true when a problem could be solved using a common method, temporarily, until a more innovative approach could be implemented.

A possible solution to players' differing schedules regarding trading, that should not be too difficult to implement, is giving NPC shops an inventory. That way, a weaponsmith can sell some swords to a NPC shop, increasing the NPC shop's stock of those swords. Other players looking for swords could then buy them from that NPC shop, provided the shop has a sufficient stock of swords. The NPC would, of course, sell the items for more than they bought them. The selling/buying price of the item would depend on multiple factors: its quality, usefullness, etc. The NPC prices would be fair, but likely not better than those players could work out between themselves.

If there is a lack of player crafters selling some desired item to the NPC shops, then that either creates an opportunity for players RPing traders (which is not something feasible in the current game, as far as I know) or server staff could implement periodic shipments of those items to the shops.

The only real way to encourage, rather than force, players to specialize is to make it easier to specialize than to be jacks-of-all-trades. That will not stop those determined to be jacks-of-all-trades. The only way to do that is to implement limitations or bonuses for specializing. The limitations are pretty self-explanatory and relatively simple. The bonuses would have to only apply when a character is specialized and vanish when the character is no longer specialized. The definition of when a character is specialized would probably be the main difficulty for implementing the bonuses. Also, the bonuses would likely have to be significant, otherwise they would not be sufficient encouragement to specialize.
Estralis Seborian

What I ment: Those common solutions to known problems that are easy/moderately difficult to implement are already implemented or will be released with the VBU. Even some very tricky things got realised for the update. But some things such as guild depots will not be implemented anytime soon because the whole depot system of Illarion is bond to characters. Changing the depot system will take a lot of time and effort and the use is "just" to have a feature that isn't special at all. Illarion's basic layout was done more than ten years ago, take a look at contemporary games and you'll see that the features you take for granted nowadays were not even thought of by professional, commercial game developers back then...

So - the main reason to do something is the effort/benefit ratio. We have very limited manpower. Methods that don't use much effort, have a huge benefit and are maybe even innovative are the best things to do. As I said - the team isn't dumb and considered many, many things and especially those things one knows from other games. What I wanted so spark is the idea that truly innovative ideas that the team won't come up with are the things that are needed.
Miriam

Post by Miriam »

If you can't use guild depots, would it be possible to use an NPC for changing wares within a guild?
I don't know how the buying/selling-system works, so I don't know if this is possible.
The NPC would have to keep track of the resources that where given to him/her, and how many of them he/she gave away.

Könnte man nicht NPCs nutzen um innerhalb einer Gilde Güter aus zu tauschen?
Ich kann den Aufwand nicht einschätzen, weil ich nicht weiß wie das (Ver)kaufsystem gesteuert wird.
Der NPC müsste nachhalten können wie viele Sachen er/sie gerade bei sich hat, wie viele dazugegeben werden und wie viele davon wieder weggenommen werden.
So müssten die beiteiligten Spieler nicht online sein und der NPC könnte das Depot ersetzen.
[ Wenn man dieses Idee weiter spinnt, könnte man NPCs vielleicht sogar beauftragen eigene Ware zu verkaufen, wenn man nicht da ist. (Mit Abzügen natürlich. Die NPC's brauchen ja auch Geld.) ]