What happened to...

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hew Keenaxe

What happened to...

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Where did the old Chamber of Commerce Guild forum go?
i know it is old and now there isn't a guild anymore. still it had lots of good information for players, especially new players.
Can it be accessed or is it gone for good?
Achae Eanstray

Re: What happened to...

Post by Achae Eanstray »

As far as I know, if the owner/owners of a private forum are no longer available after a certain time, and that forum begins to get spam postings etc., it is deleted.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

The owner left the Illarion society, no new member take the forum over.

The right for an own forum comes with the help/donations for Illarion.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

So all the previous, good information is lost to us all?
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

I -PO- developed a crafting character because of that guild. I- character Jym Goldman- played a central role in the keeping of that guild. I- Jym- represented , character Bernie at his trial. I- PO- pleaded with the PO of Bernie, Juniper Onyx not to leave this game after his very unfair sentence. A permanent ban. I- PO- was not aware that some other must take over the guild to keep the records available to others.
It is true the guild died shortly after the PO that started it gave up on this game. Some of us, including me, tried to keep it alive. Still those were invaluable pages that took many hours, days, longer to compile.
I wish the guild still existed as it brought many new crafters in and promoted trade between players. Still if it is gone for good, some record of it should be available to others. If not on the guild forums then elsewhere in forums or in a book.
Maybe this didn't happen ten years ago so isn't part of the golden age of Illarion. But it was still a very important part of this games history.
Zak

Post by Zak »

not to leave this game after his very unfair sentence. A permanent ban.
I was surprised to read this so I went and check it out, neither his account nor his chars are banned. The player simply disappeared from what I recall. <.<

Edit: ..you may refer to his char being permanently banned from Bane, though..? Oh well, in that case.. *shrug*
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I remember that time, it was when one of his chars was permanently in jail I believe. There was a "trial" and the char was perma'd at the trail, or sentenced to permanently in jail? About after that, the player stopped playing I believe. Am hoping the PO will decide to come back some day though.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

It was a very important part of the game's history. Talathiel was v sad when Bernie was sentenced, more sad than she was when the guild disappeared. It's no lie that Bernie Bottoms was the heart and soul of the Chamber of Commerce, so when he was no longer in charge it died quite rapidly. I agree that the posts and forum should have been kept available to read, even if posting was not available there any longer.

I say that if it is still there, the forum should be made available - like the Promotions forum - for everyone to see but no one to comment or post in.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Forwarded the proposal, let's wait for Nitram or Vilarion to explain whether it can be arranged.

Edit: Can't be done. :/
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

The forums are a perk for Illarion society membership: http://illarion.org/community/us_society.php

That includes a contract for yearly donation. The owner of those private forums set up who can administer and mod that certain forum. Usually it is set up for one or two individuals. IF that individual/s quits the game and the society, spam starts to be posted and only one of the owners or board admins can delete said spam unless the owner decides to add a GM or CM to the owner list. Also if the owner doesn't acknowledge their contract with Illarion society when the yearly donation is due, the perk will be withdrawn i.e. the forum will be closed/deleted.

My suggestion for those that wish, get 4 players and start a crafting guild placing valuable information on a guild forum,, it will stay as long as the guild is active and with new players I can't imagine it not being active.
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

I remember that I placed a note in that forum, that it was subject to deletion. The note was pinned there for a month and nobody came forward. So I find it hard to believe that it was that important when nobody cared. We even save backups for some time, so even after it had been deleted, if anyone noticed it was gone and came forward within a month or so, something could have been arranged. The fact that nobody bothered to do anything speaks for itself, I am afraid. Now of course it is too late.